What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trey Burton - TE (Colts) (1 Viewer)

Just plugged him in for Ebron at TE, may still stick Ebron in at flex still.  Hoping for lots of short dump off today.

Just plugged him in for Ebron at TE, may still stick Ebron in at flex still.  Hoping for lots of short dump off today.
Playing him over Anthony Miller.  I can still move Gronk out for Josh Adams should bad news strike him between now and Sunday.

Couldn't get myself to pull the trigger on dropping him before Thursday, and as the old saying goes, he who hesitates loses out on Brate (that's what Jim Carrey is saying in that clip, right?)  :P

Anyway, I guess I'm stuck with him ROS. My expectations are low, but the whole position is garbage this year, and it's not like anyone else out there on the WW is tearing it up.

I'm benching for Vance McDonald (again) this week.  Thinking about dropping Burton for Royce Freeman as someone dropped Royce to waivers this week.

I'm only holding because I think his upside is still there. He seems like a boom/bust guy. Compared to what's on my wire, I'll keep him.
Same here. It's Burton or the likes of Junno Smith, LaCosse or Everett. I like LaCosse's playoff schedule but not convinced he'll play any better than a 3rd string TE despite being thrown into the Denver starting job because of injuries. Until then, it's Burton or Bust

Honestly, I don't think getting the ball to Burton is a concern for Nagy. I have no idea why he pushed to pay Burton such a huge salary just to use him as a blocker and like the 4th or 5th option on the field, but apparently that's what happened. Nagy doesn't draw up plays for the guy. Burton isn't the first or second option on ANY play, nor is he ever the escape valve. 

He was overhyped unfortunately and I'm ecstatic that I never dropped Ebron. Happy to be off the Nagy Train. 

Same here. It's Burton or the likes of Junno Smith, LaCosse or Everett. I like LaCosse's playoff schedule but not convinced he'll play any better than a 3rd string TE despite being thrown into the Denver starting job because of injuries. Until then, it's Burton or Bust
Thinking along the same lines. LaCosse is tempting bc of great schedule but who knows how much he’ll be used.

Thinking along the same lines. LaCosse is tempting bc of great schedule but who knows how much he’ll be used.
I do like LaCosse's schedule coming up but until he proves something I'm rolling with Burton. I read somewhere (maybe Twiter?) that if you combined all of Butt's, Heuerman's and LaCosse's performances this season you'd have the #7 TE in PPR. Now LaCosse is the only one left standing. But I've gotten this far with (or despite) Burton so I'll stick with him . . . . for now.

Trey Burton (groin) is questionable for Sunday's Wild Card game against the Eagles.

Burton wasn't on Chicago's injury report at all throughout the week, so the fact he was suddenly added late Saturday evening doesn't bode well for his availability on Sunday. Adam Shaheen would be the pivot to target in fantasy if Burton is ultimately ruled out.

Source: Chicago Bears PR on Twitter 

Jan 5 - 10:48 PM

Trey Burton will miss the offseason program after undergoing sports-hernia surgery.

Burton missed the playoff loss to the Eagles with a groin issue, but it's unclear if the two are related. Either way, Burton is expected to be ready to go by the start of training camp. His status for Week 1 is not in doubt. Burton has plenty of room for growth in Year 2 with Mitchell Trubisky, especially after the Bears ignored pass catcher additions in the offseason outside of fourth-round WR Riley Ridley. Burton should be a top-10 fantasy tight end with potential for more.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

May 29, 2019, 2:47 PM ET

Bears coach Matt Nagy "feels good" about Trey Burton (sports-hernia operation) being ready for the start of training camp.

Burton missed the end of the Bears' offseason program after going under the knife, but a normal recovery would indeed have him ready to rock for camp. Although he was a fantasy disappointment in 2018, Burton still finished as a TE1. He is similarly positioned to do so again this season.

Jun 13, 2019, 1:22 PM ET

Sports hernias can be difficult to come back from. I hope this is no big deal but TE is a rough position.

The Chicago Tribune considers Trey Burton (sports-hernia surgery) unlikely to play in the preseason.

Burton has missed three-straight practices, but coach Matt Nagy insists the team is just trying to be smart. "It's not a setback," Nagy said. "It's, more of, for us, I'm trying to protect him a little bit. I need him and we need him 100 percent for Week 1." At this point, it appears we can take Nagy at his Week 1 word. Burton is an acceptable back-end TE1.

Aug 5, 2019, 2:30 PM ET

Trey Burton did not practice on Sunday.

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs doesn't think Burton will suit up for the season opener on Thursday. Burton has been out for months following a sports-hernia surgery and "clearly isn't physically to the point he needs to be." Burton owners will have to go tight end streaming to begin the season. When Burton returns, he'll be on the TE1/2 borderline. In the meantime, it will be athletic sleeper Adam Shaheen drawing starts for the Bears.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Sep 1, 2019, 7:34 PM ET

• Laughing
Reactions: -X-
I’ve invested a lot into Burton I’m truly hope to see some improvement especially the chemistry between he and Trubisky. If not I’ll be looking to move on from with both with this 2020 class.

Tex

He seems to be only good with Wentz or Foles as his QB. I have no idea how the Bears use him or anything but he seems to be so mis used in Chicago. It's really upsetting 

Trey Burton (groin) was limited in practice Monday.

Bears GM Ryan Pace told reporters Monday that Burton is day to day with a mild groin strain. This is unrelated to his recovery from sports hernia surgery which caused him to miss most of training camp. Burton appears to have a shot at suiting up for the Bears' Thursday night matchup against the Packers, but it's tough to see him receiving a full allotment of snaps if active. Fellow injury-prone teammate Adam Shaheen, Ben Braunecker and Bradley Sowell will share the load at the position if Burton is in fact ruled out.

SOURCE: Rich Campbell on Twitter.

Sep 2, 2019, 5:35 PM ET

• Thinking
Reactions: -X-
As a Bears homer, Burton has been a major disappointment.  Way too hot/cold for FF usage and groin injuries tend to linger...  He’s an emergency/bye fill-in at this point and that’s if only he gets that groin healed up.

Nagy is not using TEs anywhere near as much as Reid in KC.  Shaheen has been banged up most of camp with core injuries in case anyone’s wondering if he’s worth a flier.  He might get some RZ looks, but I’d stay away from all CHI TEs until a clear trend of usage emerges in year 2 of the offense.

Bears coach Matt Nagy said Trey Burton (groin) had a "good day" at Wednesday's practice.

Burton was inactive for Week 1 against the Packers, but he's progressed steadily since then and looks to be on track for Sunday's game in Denver. He was listed as a limited participant at Wednesday's practice. Adam Shaheen was a non-factor in his absence, securing netting one catch for six yards in the loss to Green Bay.

Sep 12, 2019, 1:13 PM ET

I had Burton all year last year.  Wish I would have dropped him week 1..... my advice to any Burton owner is to cut your losses and leave a land mine for another player in your league.

I cut him, I can’t do it anymore to my surprise Jarwin was available. Witten will be taking backseat at some point and Jarwin looked good at the end of the year and last week.

Tex

Trey Burton (groin) is active for Week 2 against the Broncos.

Burton will make his season debut Sunday at Mile High after missing the opener with a strained groin. OT Rashaad Coward, TE J.P. Holtz, CB Sherrick McManis, WR Riley Ridley, CB Kevin Toliver, LB Josh Woods and RB Kerrith Whyte round out the Bears' inactives for Week 2. DT Eddie Goldman (oblique), LB Nick Kwiatkoski (knee) and DT Bilal Nichols (knee) are all playing through questionable tags.

SOURCE: Chicago Bears on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 3:02 PM ET

Trey Burton (groin) is active for Week 3 against the Redskins Monday night.

Burton got in a round of limited practices this week before drawing a questionable tag. In his season debut last week against the Broncos, Burton caught 2-of-3 targets for five measly yards while playing 43% of the snaps and running just 11 pass routes. He's not a reliable fantasy option.

Sep 23, 2019, 6:49 PM ET

Coach Matt Nagy admitted Trey Burton isn't 100% recovered from offseason groin surgery.

Burton has been laughably bad in the box score this season, averaging two catches per game with zero efforts of more than 20 receiving yards and zero touchdowns. He obviously belongs nowhere near fantasy rosters. Burton could be someone the Bears look to cut in the offseason.

Nov 6, 2019, 1:12 PM ET

Bears placed TE Trey Burton (calf) on injured reserve.

Burton flashed occasionally in 2018 during his first season with the Bears, but was largely a non factor in eight games this season. Overall, Burton caught 14-of-24 targets for 84 scoreless yards in eight games. The Bears promoted LB James Vaughters from the practice squad in a corresponding roster move.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter.

Nov 16, 2019, 2:45 PM ET

Bears TE Trey Burton is recovering from hip surgery.

GM Ryan Pace made the disclosure at his season-ending press conference on Tuesday. Beyond saying the goal is to be ready for training camp, he did not elaborate on Burton's timeline. It's a surprise after Burton landed on injured reserve in early November with a calf issue. A mega bust of a free agent signing, 28-year-old Burton has just 68 catches over 24 games as a Bear. Nevertheless, releasing him would clear little in the way of cap space, while such a maneuver has been complicated by his injury. Burton's dynasty league value has bottomed out.

SOURCE: Larry Mayer on Twitter

Dec 31, 2019, 1:20 PM ET

Bears TE Trey Burton is recovering from hip surgery.

GM Ryan Pace made the disclosure at his season-ending press conference on Tuesday. Beyond saying the goal is to be ready for training camp, he did not elaborate on Burton's timeline. It's a surprise after Burton landed on injured reserve in early November with a calf issue. A mega bust of a free agent signing, 28-year-old Burton has just 68 catches over 24 games as a Bear. Nevertheless, releasing him would clear little in the way of cap space, while such a maneuver has been complicated by his injury. Burton's dynasty league value has bottomed out.

SOURCE: Larry Mayer on Twitter

Dec 31, 2019, 1:20 PM ET
It looks like Burton is due $6.8M in new money in 2020 which the Bears will save if they cut him. So that is plenty of incentive to get rid of him. However, $4M of that is guaranteed for injury and becomes fully guaranteed if he's still on the roster on March 22, 2020. So that could be a complication.

Bears released TE Trey Burton.

Bears GM Ryan Pace signed Burton to a four-year, $32 million contract in 2017, but he never lived up to the billing. He had 569 yards and six touchdowns in 2018 and just 84 scoreless yards across eight games last season. Burton is still recovering from hip surgery and will need to prove he's healthy before he signs a new contract. He'll likely compete for a backup job elsewhere. Pace's "plan" at tight end is 34-year-old Jimmy Graham.

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 17, 2020, 5:21 PM ET

Is this guy worth anything in a dynasty league?
I can not picture him ever being fantasy-relevant...remember, he was a projection player when he signed the big deal, he really hadn't done too much (at least as far as securing a contract like that) but definitely looked the part and when Philly won the title his value soared...he is 28 and really banged up...too me it would be a complete waste of a roster spot.

What a big waste of money in 2 leagues for me.  I had signed him his last year in Philly in 2 leagues to end the year but 2 of them were contract leagues and had to pay $20 to keep him then singed him to a 4 year deal.  So tied up 4 years of contact and $20 not to mention a roster spot.  Complete waste on all fronts.

Sure hope Higbee isn't Burton 2.0. 

Redskins should sign him to a prove-it deal immediately. 

Jeremy Sprinkle as your starting TE is like Bruce Allen leaving a flaming bag of poo on your porch as a parting gift.

What a big waste of money in 2 leagues for me.  I had signed him his last year in Philly in 2 leagues to end the year but 2 of them were contract leagues and had to pay $20 to keep him then singed him to a 4 year deal.  So tied up 4 years of contact and $20 not to mention a roster spot.  Complete waste on all fronts.

Sure hope Higbee isn't Burton 2.0. 
He's not. Higbee showed more in the last 6 weeks of last year, than Burton ever has. With Cooks now gone too, I fully expect Higbee to be a top-5 TE next season.

Burton is likely going to be a nice cheap steal for some team. He's a decent player, and better than what a lot of teams are starting at TE, if he can be healthy. 

He's not. Higbee showed more in the last 6 weeks of last year, than Burton ever has. With Cooks now gone too, I fully expect Higbee to be a top-5 TE next season.

Burton is likely going to be a nice cheap steal for some team. He's a decent player, and better than what a lot of teams are starting at TE, if he can be healthy. 
Everett was the main guy last year until he got hurt was having a mini break out season while Higbee was going through his 4th straight year of fantasy irrelevance.  All of a sudden after Everett goes down Higbee for the first time in over 3 and 1/2 seasons is finally relevant.  We shall see.

Everett was the main guy last year until he got hurt was having a mini break out season while Higbee was going through his 4th straight year of fantasy irrelevance.  All of a sudden after Everett goes down Higbee for the first time in over 3 and 1/2 seasons is finally relevant.  We shall see.
I can see the Rams using a lot of 12 personnel again this year

I could see Everett getting dealt...last year of his deal and with the Rams salary cap situation and Higbee under contract I don't see how (or why) they would retain him...he is intriguing enough to get some draft assets back from a team like New England that needs a TE.

Colts signed TE Trey Burton, formerly of the Bears, to a one-year contract.

The Colts are paying him the veteran minimum, but Burton will still receive the $4 million guaranteed from the Bears contract. Injuries have limited him to 653 yards over the last two seasons, but this is a totally painless transaction for Indianapolis given the salary implications. Burton will slide behind Jack Doyle and likely receive just a few targets per game. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 22, 2020, 6:02 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread