What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trey Burton - TE (Colts) (3 Viewers)

Great move by Indy. Burton is a solid replacement for Ebron, and could absolutely push his way past Doyle if he can stay healthy. He's got a track record with Reich, and offers another target with size for Rivers.

travdogg said:
Great move by Indy. Burton is a solid replacement for Ebron, and could absolutely push his way past Doyle if he can stay healthy. He's got a track record with Reich, and offers another target with size for Rivers.
Yeah and Reich is very familiar with him and was a big fan of his while he was in Philly.  I think it's a great move by Indy.

I'm a Bears fan so it sucks it didn't work out, but this is a low-risk high reward pick-up for Ballard. Reich as we know loves his TEs.

Colts coach Frank Reich expects TE Trey Burton to have "a really productive year."

Reich has officially hyped up every single member of the Colts' roster. Apparently the head coach has mentioned Burton's name a few times this offseason, this time "randomly" when discussing other players on offense. The avenue for playing time is there for Burton, who was on the Eagles' roster when Reich coached in Philadelphia from 2016-2017. Jack Doyle has not been a beacon of health, and Mo Alie-Cox is returning from injury.

SOURCE: Stephen Holder

Jul 29, 2020, 12:34 PM ET

With Dolye and and healthy Hilton and Campbell and the addition Pittman, I don't see him being fantasy relevant. 
Hasn't Doyle been injured at times?  Seems like he Colts run a good share of 2 Te sets.  I feel like there is some room for Trey here but I don't follow theColts like I used to.  

Colts TE Trey Burton was helped off the team's practice field Saturday after an apparent leg injury. 

The team hasn't addressed the injury but the Indianapolis Star's Joel Erickson said Burton suffered a strained calf muscle. With Jack Doyle dealing with a lingering neck injury, Mo Alie-Cox would be next up at tight end for Indy. Whichever tight end gets the primary pass catching role will be of interest to fantasy managers, as tight end is heavily used in Frank Reich's offense. 

RELATED: 

Mo Alie-Cox

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Aug 29, 2020, 2:43 PM ET

Colts placed TE Trey Burton (calf) on injured reserve.

Burton was always expected to miss two games with a calf injury, so this transaction isn't too shocking. Mo Alie-Cox is the next up at tight end for Indy, which utilized the sixth-highest rate of 12 personnel (one running back, two tight ends) last year. Jack Doyle remains a high-floor candidate projecting for eight-plus targets as early as Week 1.

SOURCE: Indianapolis Colts on Twitter

Sep 7, 2020, 5:45 PM ET

Colts activated TE Trey Burton (calf) off injured reserve.

Burton needed the minimum stay after opening the year on IR. He'll slot in as the No. 2 tight end behind Jack Doyle but could be on a snap count this week. Even with Burton returning, third-year TE Mo Alie-Cox should stay involved.

Oct 3, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

Colts TE Trey Burton leads the team's tight ends in routes and targets over the past two weeks. 

Burton, returning from a calf injury, has 11 targets while running 38 pass routes over the past couple weeks. After shining as the team's starter, Mo Alie-Cox has run 18 routes and drawn three targets in two games. Jack Doyle also has three targets over that span, running a total of 32 routes. Fantasy managers can't have nice things. 

RELATED: 

Jack Doyle

, Mo Alie-Cox

SOURCE: John Daigle on Twitter 

Oct 12, 2020, 10:38 AM ET

Trey Burton caught 4-of-5 targets for 58 yards and one touchdown, rushing for one yard and another score in Indianapolis' Week 6 win over the Bengals.

Burton's first touchdown was a one-yard run from Wildcat formation. He's quietly seen 16 targets in three games since being activated from injured reserve, out-targeting Jack Doyle 16 to 6 in that span. Even if Mo Alie-Cox were to return in Week 8, it's clear the coaching staff prefers using Burton as the 1A option at tight end. Given his usage since returning, Burton will rank as a high-end TE2 with a confident floor when the team returns from its bye.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

PREVIOUSNEXT

Trey Burton caught 3-of-4 targets for nine yards and scored a two-yard rushing touchdown in Week 8 against the Lions.

It's his second straight week with a rushing score. Burton's workload took a hit, as he saw the same amount of targets as Mo Alie-Cox and Jack Doyle had a red-zone touchdown. The Colts' tight end committee limits Burton's ceiling, but he'll be a Week 9 streaming option if T.Y. Hilton (groin) misses time.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone got any projections for tonight? Doyle is OUT I believe and Mo Allie is not on the injury report, he practiced in Full I thought I had read earlier in the week. 

This is aimed at the Kittle and Ertz type owners that thought they were air tight going into 2020. 

Burton had a dud but like 3 of his last 4 games were actually pretty decent or at least he got you on the board. 

What say you?

Have both Mo and Burton and considering playing Mo. He started last week and seemed to run more deep routes than Burton. Both players are featured in the red zone just think Mo has the higher ceiling while Burton has the higher floor. Expecting the player I don’t start to go crazy obviously.

Have both Mo and Burton and considering playing Mo. He started last week and seemed to run more deep routes than Burton. Both players are featured in the red zone just think Mo has the higher ceiling while Burton has the higher floor. Expecting the player I don’t start to go crazy obviously.
You’re in the exact same boat I’m in. Okay you start Mo and I’ll start Burton that way one of us is conceivably going to be happy. 

You’re in the exact same boat I’m in. Okay you start Mo and I’ll start Burton that way one of us is conceivably going to be happy. 
Mo Allie: hasn't seen double digits since Week 3. his targets over the last many weeks since a season high 6 n Week 2 look like this...3-2-1-0-4-3 and that's hard to start. 

Burton: Out for much of the season until more recently. His targets since Week 4 are pretty steady at 5-6-5-4-4 and resulting in 8-22-10-1 the last 4 weeks and so last week was painful but the others were decent to a really strong performance. They don't seem to find the WRs in Indy very well. 

Might be room for both but my money would be on Burton tonight. Not sure I can talk myself into it though. I feel like Tennessee will take them tonight and started the game thread early to discuss. 

Went back and looked at snap counts from last week which showed 51% for Mo and 43% for Burton, Mo didn't start btw (I swear I saw his name among the starters but Ourlads thinks otherwise). Anyway, the snap count from last week seems to paint another picture. Mo got a PI in the end zone (which would have been a TD imho) so I guess you could argue he had 4 targets last week.

My initial thought was that Burton is playing ahead of Mo, which was clearly the case when Burton was back from injury. Last game could be an outlier but I need points badly this week and think Mo offers more upside. Last two weeks Mo is 6-7-80-0, Burton is 4-8-16-0 (and one rushing TD). Sure, Burton could have a multiple TD game again but the yards have been lacking so far compared to Mo when both of them are healthy.

Indy have been playing with a pretty depleted WR core the last couple of weeks. Hilton is back though and Pittman is slowly emerging which does add some uncertainty for Mo's role (I think Burton is the starter without Doyle) but I am still leaning Mo.

Trey Burton caught all three of his targets for 24 yards in the Colts' Week 10 win over the Titans.

It was actually Burton's best game since the Week 7 bye. Even with Jack Doyle out, Burton didn't see much of a bump in usage. Mo Alie-Cox out-targeted him 4-3. Burton will be a back-end TE2 when the Colts face the Packers in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Trey Burton caught 3-of-6 targets for 42 yards and a touchdown in the Colts' Week 12 loss to the Titans. 

Burton continues to be a red zone favorite of Philip Rivers, catching a first half touchdown in the back of the end zone despite tight coverage. Leading the team's tight ends in targets for each of the past two weeks, Burton is nominally the preferred fantasy option among Indy tight ends going forward. His route running numbers have fluctuated throughout the season as one of fantasy's most perplexing players. Burton should be a decent streaming option next week against Houston. 

- Rotoworld

Jaguars head coach Urban Meyer said free agent TE Trey Burton is visiting with the team. 

Jacksonville is the league's most tight end-needy team after losing James O'Shaughnessy to a long-term ankle injury in Week 2. Burton, 29, after a career season in Chicago in 2018, was hardly used at all while struggling through injuries in two years with the Colts. He would be the Jags' test pass catching tight end if he were to sign with the team. For now, Luke Farrell and possibly Jacob Hollister will take on pass-catching duties while O'Shaughnessy recovers. 

RELATED: 

James O'Shaughnessy

, Luke Farrell

, Jacob Hollister

, Jacksonville Jaguars

SOURCE: John Reid on Twitter 

Sep 24, 2021, 10:51 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread