What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (3 Viewers)

I’m putting him in in all four leagues. Over Rodgers in two of them. I may swap him out for Winston in one league but for now, it’s the Lamar show.

I’m putting him in in all four leagues. Over Rodgers in two of them. I may swap him out for Winston in one league but for now, it’s the Lamar show.
I would love to see him have a great passing day.  Last week wasn’t bad, but I want to see him throw a few TDs.

Such a juicy matchup today. 

Would y’all start Jackson or Ben in a 6 pt passing league? Need a high ceiling after going against Amari Cooper. 

Such a juicy matchup today. 

Would y’all start Jackson or Ben in a 6 pt passing league? Need a high ceiling after going against Amari Cooper. 
I am in same boat but 4pt passing. I have flipped flopped several times and still don't know what I will do. I need a high floor and Jackson offers just that with his running. Road Ben in Denver scares me....i am leaning Lamar because of that but Ben still in there at the moment. Godspeed 

I am in same boat but 4pt passing. I have flipped flopped several times and still don't know what I will do. I need a high floor and Jackson offers just that with his running. Road Ben in Denver scares me....i am leaning Lamar because of that but Ben still in there at the moment. Godspeed 
Same predicament. Also going against Ben in an elimination game that would knock me out of the playoffs. So may roll Lamar and hope road Ben shows up.

My gut says to start Ben, but my hope says that he does poorly and Lamar succeeds.

I'm so tempted.

It's either Lamar or R. Wilson. 
I have these two as well.

Russell has been the model citizen of prett good floor, not too high of a ceiling. 

I don’t see this game being a shootout, and with Cam lacking some weapons Russell may not be in comeback mode.

Already behind the 8 ball and need upside so I’m rolling Lamar.

I have both players and last week I went back and forth forever. I took the ball out of Ben's hands a couple years ago in the playoffs and it cost me a "ship" I rolled with Big Ben last week and for the 1st half I was not in a good mood at all, however, Ben pulled it out and outscored Lamar.  I did not need a high floor and made what I considered the safer pick. Today my division is on the line and most likely clinching a bye in the playoffs after Thursday's games I'm in the same boat not needing a high floor ironically playing the same team as before in the playoffs where I benched Ben for Rivers in the playoff game. I lost that game by less than . 5 points by getting cute.  I'm rolling with Ben based off the weapons he has at his disposal and I think the game in Denver could be a higher scoring game. I also see the Ravens and Raiders game and think both teams want to win this game on the ground or short passing game and my gut says this could be a lower scoring game that said my feeling is that Ben and Lamar will be close and when it's like that I go with the guy with the bigger weapons. Lamar is going to have that huge game at some point this season and this could be the week tough call but I'll go with Ben's arm over Lamar's legs. Good Luck in your decision.  I'm going to check what Vegas thinks just to be curious sometimes that helps me make decisions based on what Vegas thinks on the over/under. Like to know what Vegas thinks on the game script not always correct but another tool to help make calls between players.
I'm rolling with Lamar over Ben and Philip in one league and Lamar over Wentz and Watson in another. Crazy, perhaps, perhaps not.

Lamar Jackson ROS?

He passed the first two tests.

1) Started a game - got thrown into the wolves and came out alive

2) Won a game.

Deduction - another W and a good game, what's not to like moving forward? What would ownership or coach be scared about starting him? Basically, which QB gives them the best chance to win, or go with the young stud?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has boom or bust written all over it today... but I need a boom.
Where are you going to get it? How many QB's will be an automatic 15-20? Lamar has just as good of a chance as anyone?

I really can't see Lamar ending up with less than 15 points today, and again decent day 20, good day 25, and great day 30+. It's a wide range. Last week Wentz and Big Ben let us down. Unless it's a Luck, Winston, or Newton...

I'm so tempted.

It's either Lamar or R. Wilson. 
Same choice here in one of my league. Right now I have Lamar in there because it feels like a higher ceiling, although there's plenty of time for me to talk myself out of it. Not a must-win for me, though, so your mileage may vary.

Sticking with DeShaun in my other league, where I do need the win. I realize that shouldn't matter, but I've found there's nothing worse than losing a season because I got too clever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same choice here in one of my league. Right now I have Lamar in there because it feels like a higher ceiling, although there's plenty of time for me to talk myself out of it. Not a must-win for me, though, so your mileage may vary.

Sticking with DeShaun in my other league, where I do need the win. I realize that shouldn't matter, but I've found there's nothing worse than losing a season because I got too clever.
Sticking with Wilson.

My opponent is starting D. Baldwin and I'm projected to win. Don't want to start Lamar, see him bust, and Baldwin hit his ceiling.

If Lamar plays great...great. Will prove useful down the stretch.

I have Jackson in one Superflex dynasty league. Starting Rivers and Rodgers over him this week.

He scored 19.2 points in that league last week, which ranked him as QB #16. The rushing production is nice for his floor, but TDs matter. I have to see more before starting him over the other two.
I changed my mind and will start Jackson over Rivers.

Jackson's floor in this matchup should be something like 80 yards rushing and 150 yards passing. My league is non-PPR but gives 0.5 points per first down rushing/receiving and 6 points for all TDs. So his floor with 0 TDs is probably 16 points or so. Since week 6, the Chargers haven't needed a lot from Rivers, and he has averaged 21.2 ppg over that stretch. So just 1 TD of any kind for Jackson puts him roughly even with what might be expected from Rivers. 2 TDs of any kind, and he probably outscores Rivers.

If Gordon was sitting out, I would think odds would be much higher for Rivers to pass for 300/3, in which case I would start him over Jackson. But Gordon is playing, so I'm going with Jackson.

Where are you going to get it? How many QB's will be an automatic 15-20? Lamar has just as good of a chance as anyone?

I really can't see Lamar ending up with less than 15 points today, and again decent day 20, good day 25, and great day 30+. It's a wide range. Last week Wentz and Big Ben let us down. Unless it's a Luck, Winston, or Newton...
Big Ben let us down?  He had a rough start, but lit up the second half for a pretty decent day.

Was worried about this. Figure they’ll revert back to him running some if they are still down in 2nd half. Worst case is they score rushing the ball from the RB’s.
Yeah. Still lots of time for him to put a game together, but this is why all the talk of him having a high floor didn't make sense. He's a rookie in his second game, the idea that there's no way he could have a bad game was silly.

Yeah. Still lots of time for him to put a game together, but this is why all the talk of him having a high floor didn't make sense. He's a rookie in his second game, the idea that there's no way he could have a bad game was silly.
Yup. Not him playing bad just not having him run a bunch. 

Just had an easy chance to pick up a few yards on a run and threw it away instead. Pretty clear he's been told not to run much, if at all.

Guess I can cut him after this week. Was holding on just in case he turned into something. If it ain’t gonna happen against Oakland, not happening against anyone else.

==RAVENS COACHING MEETING==

"OK guys. We have a player that's really hard to stop on the ground. We're facing a team that can't stop anyone on the ground. And we absolutely positively need to win the game or our season is basically over. What's the plan?"

"Uh, make sure our ground weapon never actually runs?"

"BRILLIANT!"

==RAVENS COACHING MEETING==

"OK guys. We have a player that's really hard to stop on the ground. We're facing a team that can't stop anyone on the ground. And we absolutely positively need to win the game or our season is basically over. What's the plan?"

"Uh, make sure our ground weapon never actually runs?"

"BRILLIANT!"
There's a reason why even Michael Vick never ran the ball more than 15 times in a game in his entire career. It's simply not a recipe for continued success or health to constantly have your QB take hits as a runner. He shouldn't be in there. 

Lots of people see something in his passing ability that simply wasn't there in college, or the preseason, or the first couple months of this year. You can compare him to other running QBs all you want, but the fact is that whether they were white or black, they were almost all far more prepared as passers entering the NFL. He's not consistently accurate, has inconsistent mechanics, and his threat as a runner is really all he has. In college, his athletic ability could overwhelm defenses and he could throw enough to wide open receivers that his completion percentage was at least respectable. He's not going to have those luxuries in the NFL. That doesn't mean he'll NEVER be there, but he's not close to being a competent NFL passer and throwing him into the fire this unprepared is either going to yield awful results more often than not or get him hurt. 

Starting him in fantasy means you're hoping he runs it 15+ times, which SHOULD be a rarity, because he's not going to do much else. It's unlikely that the Ravens are so stupid that they'd do that.

It was downright laughable for anyone to say that his "floor" was what he did running the ball like he did last week, or even half of that. Maybe he busts a big run in the second half today, but the fact is it doesn't matter... he's not close to ready.

There's a reason why even Michael Vick never ran the ball more than 15 times in a game in his entire career. It's simply not a recipe for continued success or health to constantly have your QB take hits as a runner. He shouldn't be in there. 
For sure. But seems like there should be a middle ground between 27 carries and... two?

Users who are viewing this thread