What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Lamar Jackson, BAL (4 Viewers)

For sure. But seems like there should be a middle ground between 27 carries and... two?
Sure there is. How much do you want to push things with him against defenses that know he's not a threat with his arm?

Vick, on the HIGH end, was in the 100-120 rushing attempts in a full season. Cam has been in that range, maybe a bit higher on occasion in the 120-130 range. If you want Jackson to run at even a similar rate, he'd be between 6 and 10 rushes per week on average. Those guys took a beating, too.

Give him even 10 rushes per week. After the first drive last week, the Bengals limited him to around 3 yards per carry, and he's at 4.5 against the Raiders today. Not exactly stalwart run defenses. For a QB who can't be effective throwing the ball (yet), that's an awfully low floor in any week he doesn't run for a TD. He's been fortunate to face the Bengals and Raiders these two weeks, and he's still looked bad today.

Sure there is. How much do you want to push things with him against defenses that know he's not a threat with his arm?

Vick, on the HIGH end, was in the 100-120 rushing attempts in a full season. Cam has been in that range, maybe a bit higher on occasion in the 120-130 range. If you want Jackson to run at even a similar rate, he'd be between 6 and 10 rushes per week on average. Those guys took a beating, too.

Give him even 10 rushes per week. After the first drive last week, the Bengals limited him to around 3 yards per carry, and he's at 4.5 against the Raiders today. Not exactly stalwart run defenses. For a QB who can't be effective throwing the ball (yet), that's an awfully low floor in any week he doesn't run for a TD. He's been fortunate to face the Bengals and Raiders these two weeks, and he's still looked bad today.
I’ll take the 24 fantasy points, which is all I care about anyway 

I’ll take the 24 fantasy points, which is all I care about anyway 
I would too if I were you. Facing the Raiders and Bengals can hide a lot of problems lol.

If he can break off a long run or score on the ground, he can be an OK fantasy QB against bad teams. He's in for a rough time when he faces a defense that can stop the run or a team with an offense that can score. He's got a long way to go before looking like a real NFL QB on a contending team, though. Outside the fluke 74 yard pass to Andrews, he couldnt even pass against the Raiders in a home game.

I would too if I were you. Facing the Raiders and Bengals can hide a lot of problems lol.

If he can break off a long run or score on the ground, he can be an OK fantasy QB against bad teams. He's in for a rough time when he faces a defense that can stop the run or a team with an offense that can score. He's got a long way to go before looking like a real NFL QB on a contending team, though. Outside the fluke 74 yard pass to Andrews, he couldnt even pass against the Raiders in a home game.
You’re moving the goal post 

You’re moving the goal post 
How so? 

I'm not sold on him in any way as an NFL QB, and I don't think he's ready at all. Of course he can run, that's a given, and the Ravens can beat a bad team just based on the strength of their defense.  When the Ravens are facing a crappy team, he'll have opportunities to do that enough to have some possible value if he can run one in, but that's not going to be anything sustainable as either a real OR a fantasy QB. 

You've said before that he's a better passer than I (and others) give him credit for, and fact is, he's not. He might be even worse than I thought if he can't even muster any kind of a passing attack against the Raiders. 

Why was that pass a fluke?

How so? 

I'm not sold on him in any way as an NFL QB, and I don't think he's ready at all. Of course he can run, that's a given, and the Ravens can beat a bad team just based on the strength of their defense.  When the Ravens are facing a crappy team, he'll have opportunities to do that enough to have some possible value if he can run one in, but that's not going to be anything sustainable as either a real OR a fantasy QB. 

You've said before that he's a better passer than I (and others) give him credit for, and fact is, he's not. He might be even worse than I thought if he can't even muster any kind of a passing attack against the Raiders. 
The Steelers fan’s right, and I’m a native Baltimore Ravens fan.

Despite the fantasy world’s desire for Vick reincarnated Jackson’s one, probably two years out from being ready for the starting role.

Based on Harbaugh’s post Game interview I’d estimate Flacco is 50/50 for next week and a lock for week 14.  It will be a game day announcement like last week either way, Harbaugh said that pretty clearly.  Either way, Flacco will be starting as soon as he’s able.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why was that pass a fluke?
It's not often that a TE runs free down the sideline uncovered. He hit a guy running free without a defender within 10 or 15 yards. Blown coverages happen, of course. 

Outside of that play, he was 13-24 for about 100 yards passing. Against the Raiders. At home. That's more indicative of his talent level as a passer right now.

The Steelers fan’s right, and I’m a native Baltimore Ravens fan.

Despite the fantasy world’s desire for Vick reincarnated Jackson’s one, probably two years out from being ready for the starting role.

Based on Harbaugh’s post Game interview I’d estimate Flacco is 50/50 for next week and a lock for week 14.  It will be a game day announcement like last week either way, Harbaugh said that pretty clearly.  Either way, Flacco will be starting as soon as he’s able.
Yep. He has plenty of time to develop, but he's got a long way to go to have any sustainable success. They should want him to run because he can and to add another dimension to the offense, not because that's all he can do. If they want a realistic chance at the wild card, they'll need Flacco. LOL did I really just type that?

Well, he outscored Rodgers, so I’ll take it. Those rushing points will make his floor pretty high if he can hang on to the starting job.

Just Win Baby said:
I changed my mind and will start Jackson over Rivers.

Jackson's floor in this matchup should be something like 80 yards rushing and 150 yards passing. My league is non-PPR but gives 0.5 points per first down rushing/receiving and 6 points for all TDs. So his floor with 0 TDs is probably 16 points or so. Since week 6, the Chargers haven't needed a lot from Rivers, and he has averaged 21.2 ppg over that stretch. So just 1 TD of any kind for Jackson puts him roughly even with what might be expected from Rivers. 2 TDs of any kind, and he probably outscores Rivers.

If Gordon was sitting out, I would think odds would be much higher for Rivers to pass for 300/3, in which case I would start him over Jackson. But Gordon is playing, so I'm going with Jackson.
Blew it. Rivers outscored Jackson, who outscored Rodgers. :wall:  

Blew it. Rivers outscored Jackson, who outscored Rodgers. :wall:  
Rivers had a record setting day for consecutive completions.

Jackson did well enough that I don't think it cost you the game.

As much as I like Jackson I am a bit surprised that folks are willing to start him over established QB in the league. :shrugs:

Lamar Jackson was forced from Sunday's game against the Falcons with a potential concussion.

Jackson was injured running into LT Ronnie Stanley on a failed red zone run. His status for the rest of the game is unclear.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 3:00 PM

As much as I like Jackson I am a bit surprised that folks are willing to start him over established QB in the league. :shrugs:
Same.  2 TDs weekly is bare minimum for a QB1 this year, Jackson scores one on a good week. Dynasty is one thing but right now his only fantasy value is his high floor.

I almost started him over Brady and Prescott. Went with Brady in a must win (that I didn't). While neither guy really separated himself, I've not seen enough from Jackson to feel I should be rostering him as a 3rd QB in a 1 QB league I'm needing to play matchups in. As good as the match ups are I don't feel like he's gonna really blow up due to the lack of passing numbers.

It's funny how his story has so many parallels to Tebow. It would be great if Baltimore ended up playing Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs. :lol:

Lamar Jackson completed 12-of-22 passes for a career-high 204 yards and one touchdown, adding 13 carries for 39 yards in Baltimore's impressive Week 16 upset victory over the Chargers.

The Ravens continued their newfound offensive approach with Jackson under center, rushing 35 times on a keep-away 31:25 time of possession. The rookie's career-high 204 yards were simply a plus, 68 of them occurring on one beautiful downfield touchdown strike to fellow rookie TE Mark Andrews. Now facing a must-win situation against the Browns next week, Jackson will again be a high-floor low-end QB1 with an exciting ceiling in the team's final regular season game.

Dec 22 - 11:55 PM

That throw to Andrews was a dime. He had a similar touch throw dropped in over a LB in the first half. Still very raw and he’ll have a couple “how is this guy an NFL qb” throws every game but the impressive throws as well at the ones that are merely adequate are happening more frequently.

In my dynasty league from week 11 to week 15, he's #9.  He might go down slightly based on week 16.
In my 2 leagues, he is #12 and #11 in ppg from weeks 11-15, and he should drop in both based on week 16. I don't see him as a QB1, not even low end. He is a high QB2, which may be valuable, depending on league parameters, roster situation, etc.

In my dynasty league from week 11 to week 15, he's #9.  He might go down slightly based on week 16.

QB16 in our, ppg, if you count week 16.   He’s pretty much the definition of high floor/low ceiling.

Believe that: Lamar Jackson transforms doubts to division title
Lamar Jackson transforms doubts to division title

...Replacing a Super Bowl-winning quarterback with a rookie one typically signals rebuilding. Instead, Lamar Jackson became the focal point of a retooling for the Ravens, who have won six of his seven starts to capture the AFC North title.

...Jackson now finds himself in the AFC playoffs with a quarterback field that features a five-time Super Bowl champion (Tom Brady), a frontrunner for NFL MVP (Patrick Mahomes), an eight-time Pro Bowl passer (Philip Rivers), a top candidate for comeback player of the year (Andrew Luck) and the only player ever to throw for more than 4,000 yards with 25 touchdowns and rush for 500 yards and five touchdowns (Deshaun Watson).

Unlike those quarterbacks, the Ravens' success lies in how Jackson fits as their quarterback. He's part of the NFL's most dominant rushing attack, which keeps the No. 1 defense fresh. Both sides of the ball feed off each other.

Over the past seven weeks, he ranks No. 7 in the NFL with 556 yards rushing. In Sunday's 26-24 win over the Browns, Jackson scored two touchdowns and could have had two more if he had broken the plane on a goal-line leap and didn't have a 33-yard score negated by a questionable Maxx Williams holding penalty.

"Until you are on the field and see how quick Lamar Jackson is, and understand his ability to make plays and make some people miss out in space," Browns coach Gregg Williams said. "We had the space populated at times. We just didn’t make the plays."
The NFL hasn't seen anything like the Ravens rushing attack. The modern era has been so heavily weighted to stopping the pass that teams may not be constructed to stop this attack.  Since Lamar has taken over and that offense has been installed no-one has been able to stop them.

The Chargers have Derwin and that should help but it would have been fun to see what the Texans could do to slow them down since they have the best run-D in the league.

--------------------------------

Michael David Smith‏Verified account @MichaelDavSmith

Texans' run defense was outstanding this season. Allowed a league-low 3.4 yards per carry, a league-low 3 runs of 20 yards or longer and a league-low 19.7% first down rate.

9:17 AM - 1 Jan 2019

---------------------------------

Luke Jones‏ @BaltimoreLuke

Terrell Suggs: "I’m usually not impressed with rookies, but you saw two rookies out there today that showed that this is their league. It was impressive. Everybody knows the history of football in Cleveland & that guy is going to be something for years to come." #Ravens #Browns

7:41 PM - 30 Dec 2018

The NFL hasn't seen anything like the Ravens rushing attack. The modern era has been so heavily weighted to stopping the pass that teams may not be constructed to stop this attack.  Since Lamar has taken over and that offense has been installed no-one has been able to stop them.

The Chargers have Derwin and that should help but it would have been fun to see what the Texans could do to slow them down since they have the best run-D in the league.
The Chargers will be the first team to face this version of the Baltimore offense twice. I expect that will be a big help to them in this matchup.

Regarding the bolded, the Chargers defense played well in the first matchup other than the long TD pass to Andrews... they held BAL to its lowest offensive point total (16), lowest rushing yardage, and second lowest total yardage within the 7 games Jackson started.

Unfortunately, the Chargers have lost starting LB Jatavis Brown since the first meeting, the 3rd starting LB they have lost to season ending injury this season.

Users who are viewing this thread