What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Golden Tate-Who is still holding on (1 Viewer)

jurrassic

Footballguy
I was one of the unlucky ones who ended up with Golden Tate on his team.  With bye weeks approaching, I find myself having little confidence in playing him based on his anemic performance up to this point.  

7 for 41

2 for 13

4 for 40

The only reason I find myself not dropping him is where I drafted him, and the high volume passing attack.  Has anyone cut bait?  I think I'd rather roster Dwayne Washing, Dixon or Morris than Tate

I think it's too early to drop him yet.  He's got too much opportunity to drop already.  I have to imagine there are worse players on your team to drop than Tate.

I don't want to make this a "should I drop Tate" thread, more a "Golden Tate" support group thread.  I loved what he did at the end of last year but I was not expecting Jones to get open this easily and often in Detroit.  I agree that opportunity is there.  At some point though he becomes dead weight.  He is the 80th ranked wr currently

He's a hold for me as long as Stafford is winging the ball.
+1

Detroit throwing a lot and Tate is getting targeted. 7, 9, and 6 so far. Plus a couple running plays. I think they want (and need) him to be involved and I plan to hold so long as that is the case. Definitely disappointing so far, though.

Avril lavine.  End of list.  No one else should be.  Their new wrs have taken the roles 

I was really high on him for this year, only ended up with him on 1 team though. It's not like he got worse talent-wise or was injured... and it's not like he wasn't a WR2 before. And Stafford is putting up numbers. I think it's just a dire stretch. I'm keeping Tate in my lineup.

It's the worst 3-game yardage total since he came to Detroit 3 years ago. He did have one stretch last year where he was 12-125-0 over 3 games.

Trust might be an issue. It was very odd because it's never been an issue prior to this summer, but he struggled with drops in OTAs, TC and PS. Not really the issue since the season started.

They also have gone away from throwing it to him at or behind the LOS this year. He caught the most balls at/behind the LOS of any WR last year. Didn't really have very many YAC - think they have changed his usage schematically.

Ebron is more reliable and productive this season. On pace for 75-896-5. TE6 at the moment, nice leap from last year when he was a streaming option / borderline TE1. But that's only a small part of it, as the RBs actually are on pace for slightly less usage (156 targets last year, on pace for 133 this year.)

The other factor of course is Stafford has developed a rapport & trust with Boldin. While he's clearly the WR3 in terms of snaps and targets, when they really need a FD or in the RZ they look for the veteran.

The OC and the HC think he's still the WR1 on the team:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/09/29/detroit-lions-golden-tate/91286792/

M.Jones, Ebron, Boldin, Theo Riddick, Tate.  Lots of balls, but lots of players to feed.  Marvin is the deep guy, but the rest battle for the short stuff.

I just think it's alot different than it was a year ago when he was first in line, vs. 3rd-4th for targets.

I think Tate is definitely a hold or a buy if you don't already have him.

The Lions are throwing the ball 40 times a game thus far and Tate has 18% of those targets averaging 7.3 targets per game. He is currently on pace for 117 targets over the season which is enough for him to be considered a WR 2 most weeks.

With Marvin Jones doing so well that should mean more defensive attention being shifted towards stopping him and more single coverage opportunities for Tate in games ahead.

He had a bad game against the Titans, maybe a Lions fan could shed some light on how they played Tate and what went wrong for him there? Is that something that other teams might replicate in the future?

The Bears this week should be a plus match up for Tate to have a higher than average performance.

Twentyman and Thorman just dropped these nugs.  Not bad, plus he's a captain this week, so they are trying to spark him.  I wouldn't doubt if he breaks the slump this week.

Pat Thorman ‏@Pat_Thorman  7h7 hours ago
Golden Tate led WRs in forced missed tackles in ‘15 & will be matched up w/ Jacoby Glenn - who’s missed 4th-most tackles in coverage so far.

Tim TwentymanVerified account ‏@ttwentyman  6h6 hours ago
Captains this week for the Lions are: Darius Slay, Golden Tate and Brandon Copeland

Squintz82 said:
Traded him for Rawls this week. I have CMike.
Was this a dynasty league or something?  You traded a starting player for one that is not playing and no one knows for sure when will return.  When he does return no one knows if he gets to be the starter again or will even be the same.  If I'm the Rawls owner I'm very happy with that trade.  Wish I could have done that instead of just dropping him.

Was this a dynasty league or something?  You traded a starting player for one that is not playing and no one knows for sure when will return.  When he does return no one knows if he gets to be the starter again or will even be the same.  If I'm the Rawls owner I'm very happy with that trade.  Wish I could have done that instead of just dropping him.
12 team redraft (RB, WR, WR, 2 flex) with heavy trading. WRs are Julio, Robinson, Jeffery, Dez, and Crowder. Don't need a "starting player" sucking up a bench spot with 40 yard games, otherwise I would just pick up Kenny Britt. Rawls has much more value to me while owning CMike. 

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team redraft (RB, WR, WR, 2 flex) with heavy trading. WRs are Julio, Robinson, Jeffery, Dez, and Crowder. Don't need a "starting player" sucking up a bench spot with 40 yard games, otherwise I would just pick up Kenny Britt. Rawls has much more value to me while owning CMike. 
Still seems crazy.  I believe he's been dropped in ever league I'm in except for my dynasty one.  To be able to get a startable player for him just seems crazy lucky.

Still seems crazy.  I believe he's been dropped in ever league I'm in except for my dynasty one.  To be able to get a startable player for him just seems crazy lucky.
Just curious, what format do you play in that Tate is in your starting lineup? My offer for Rawls was even turned down until the "we want to get Tate more involved" news came out and they reconsidered. 

I was starting him but not this week.  He was my flex.  We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1K and 1DST.  Full point PPR.  Bonus points for TDs over 40 yards.

That is the only league I have him in and I'm benching him now but I would expect a lot more than Rawls for him.  I'd want a guy that's at least playing now.  I just don't see the upside with Rawls right now.

We start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE, 1K and 1DST.  Full point PPR.  Bonus points for TDs over 40 yards.

That is the only league I have him in and I'm benching him now but I would expect a lot more than Rawls for him.  I'd want a guy that's at least playing now.  I just don't see the upside with Rawls right now.
That format makes a lot more sense than mine. Mine is 0.5 ppr and less spots. 

You're looking at Rawls as a standalone. I have CMike. If something were to happen to him, or if Rawls regains a role when he's healthy, he has a ton of value to me. Especially keeping him off of my opponents roster. He's also able to be packaged with CMike in a trade. Lots of options. 

That format makes a lot more sense than mine. Mine is 0.5 ppr and less spots. 

You're looking at Rawls as a standalone. I have CMike. If something were to happen to him, or if Rawls regains a role when he's healthy, he has a ton of value to me. Especially keeping him off of my opponents roster. He's also able to be packaged with CMike in a trade. Lots of options. 
I suppose.  I dropped Rawls and don't feel bad at all about it.  He's still sitting there available if I wanted to pick him back up.

I'm holding in three leagues. As good as the new WRs have been and as much as his role seems to have changed, he's too talented not to start climbing the ranks. I think Detroit realizes they need to get him going by their recent actions. My hope was that he would finish as a low WR1/high WR2 this year. Marvin has dashed those hopes, but I think he finishes as a solid WR3. 

He is not doing what many thought he would, but I think he'll come around and be a good producer again, probably sooner rather than later. Marvin Jones isn't going to keep being as ridiculous as he has been. 

has there been a player more deserving of a nickname than 2016's Golden Taint?

still holding, btw. mostly because there is next to nothing on the WW

In ppr I still think he will be great this year.  Opponents are going to start scheming to stop Marvin Jones moving forward.  That will open things up for Tate and stafford is very comfortable throwing to him. 

Patience Danielsan 

ps I don't own Tate but I would buy him low right now.   

Dwayne Bowe was the only starting WR in recent memory that had a worse trend than Golden Tate. From around week 5 in 2012, Bowe then had 46 games in a row with <100 yds rec (not counting that one magical playoff game in 2013) before he eventually dropped out of the league.

Tate is now on game #27 in a row with <100yds rec. Its a really bad trend.

People blamed Alex Smith for Bowe's decline but the reality was he lost a step after signing that huge contract in 2013 and never regained it.

Tate has no excuse. He's only 28 and on a high powered offense but he's definitely not a #1 WR.

In ppr I still think he will be great this year.  Opponents are going to start scheming to stop Marvin Jones moving forward.  That will open things up for Tate and stafford is very comfortable throwing to him. 

Patience Danielsan 

ps I don't own Tate but I would buy him low right now.   
Bad advice here

Ran the wrong route towards the end of the first half yesterday, causing an INT. Basically didn't appear in the second half. Also used to have the best hands in the NFL and has been dropping catches all season long. I didn't invest this year, but if I were you guys, I'd give up on him.

Ran the wrong route towards the end of the first half yesterday, causing an INT. Basically didn't appear in the second half. Also used to have the best hands in the NFL and has been dropping catches all season long. I didn't invest this year, but if I were you guys, I'd give up on him.
He will be a drop for me this week with bye weeks now in consideration.  

The one league where I have him....I am cutting him.  He's the 4th option at best and doesn't have big play potential. You can get 4-40 and a slight chance at a TD off of the waiver wire every week.  He's a waste of a roster spot.

I knew this guy was going to be a bust at his ADP......he somehow fell in the one league where I took him, where I thought he could be of value.

Off topic, I've never found any of their material very convincing. They're always pushing their "signature" NEP stat which is garbage (I don't recall the details, but it is highly skewed by TDs). Any decision based on NEP is a questionable decision. Might as well flip a coin. That being said, they may be right on Tate. I didn't read it, but things are not looking good for him.

On topic, I didn't draft Tate but did pick him up on waivers immediately after he was dropped in a league where I'm decimated by WR injuries. I've been a fan of Tate since his Seattle days when PFF raved about his low drop rate and exceptional elusiveness, but if he's running the wrong routes and dropping passes then something is wrong. My WRs are dropping like flies, so I hope he gets his mojo back before the next injury.

Holding starting due to desperation at the position.  Went into the season top heavy (AB/Watkins in 16 man) but light on depth and Watkins has crushed me.  Weekly pinball between VJax, Tate, Corey Brown, and Enunwa.

i have not watched lions football this year (thankfully) but has he looked slow or hurt?  He's proven he can be a YAC stud in the past taking those short yardage throws for big gainers.  if he got dropped i would spend a couple FAAB on him.  this decline doesnt make any sense (if injury is not to blame), he's only 28, he was very good for parts of last year.  

i have not watched lions football this year (thankfully) but has he looked slow or hurt?  He's proven he can be a YAC stud in the past taking those short yardage throws for big gainers.  if he got dropped i would spend a couple FAAB on him.  this decline doesnt make any sense (if injury is not to blame), he's only 28, he was very good for parts of last year.  
Too many cooks in the kitchen.

Ebron has come along and become a nice option.  Jones has somewhat taken over Calvin's role (note the word "somewhat"........can't really replace a first ballot HOF).  DET RBs are good pass catchers, especially Riddick.   The big problem for Tate is Anquan Boldin......he's the one killing Tate's value.

Also, remember that when Tate averaged 13-14 YPC, that was a different coaching regime.  When Caldwell's regime took over, Tate was the short passing guy, but with a lot of volume.  There was nothing that would lead us to believe that Tate was going to be used differently this year.  So Tate is still a short passing guy, but with a lot less volume.

I think Calvin may have been more nicked up that we were led to believe last year.  I never understood why late last year DET was using Calvin as a glorifed decoy.  Tate was able to benefit being the defacto #1 option since teams still doubled Calvin.

Nothing wrong with spending a few FAAB on him if you have the roster space.  I personally don't, so I am cutting him.  I will let someone else waste their roster spot on him.   I would rather use my roster spot for someone like Robert Woods, who could have real value now that Watkins is out for a while.

Matter of opinion I suppose. The 
Well it's not unlike when a young guy has awesome OTAs and a good TC and shows up in PS. You're not totally shocked a Fuller or Thomas has an impact because you saw it coming.

Been negative reports (performance based) on Tate since May. It's not like him to be unreliable but he has struggled with drops all year. When you miss your QBs hand signal and run a 9 while he's throwing a timing out that gets released before the break, the trust evaporates.

I didn't like what I saw yesterday. 

I am not sure what it is but Tate had bad body language and just didn't seem like the same player I have seen him be the last couple of seasons. I would listen to the Lions fans like BobbyLayne and TartanLion on this one as they keep up with this team a lot more than most us do.

For the first few weeks I was thinking perhaps it was just random or match up based reasons for his lower involvement with the offense, after what I saw against the Bears, I don't really think that any more.

I am sure Tate will have some good games at times this season but he does not look like a 1a or 1b in their offense as I think many (including me) have been expecting him to be.

Ebron really bothered me giving up on his failed block for Riddick as well.

He ran longer routes under Caldwell/Lombardi in 2014 when Calvin was out.

Second half of last year under Caldwell/Cooter it was all short stuff but they were targeting him in the red zone a lot, he got a good few TD's at the goal line with passes to him behind or at the line scrimmage.

The difference this season for me is A) Ebron missed the 2nd half of last year B) the solid Boldin wasn't present, both these things meant that his red zone targets were more present last year.

Add to that that his hands have been sub par and he generally hasn't been on top of things at all. Maybe his nose is out of joint at the signing of Jones and his implementation into the deep ball game ( Tate did admirably in that role in '14 when Calvin missed time ). Only a week ago against the Titans, Stafford did try to get him the ball deep, but he failed to reel any in. Looked like they were consciously trying to get him the ball. Didn't work, then fast forward another week to another poor showing from him and who knows how far adrift he is now.

His OC was talking him up...that didn't help. Weapons in both the ground game and receiver/tight end would seem to push a few more looks or targets his way but no...

Tate rising? Two good weeks in a row and it's not like Stafford will stop winging it anytime soon. Boldin got the winning TD on 3rd down but Tate was targeted on 1st and 2nd, very close to a second big week.

I grabbed him in a league 3 weeks ago - turned out to be a nice pickup. Only problem is that my team has no shot in that league. 

Nobody talking but he might be top 10 again this week. Marvin Jones will likely miss another week and Boldin is still enough to fill that void at least partially and Ebron has returned. That's good because Tate cannot b the only WR or weapon, he just is a possesssion volume guy that every once in a while like last week displays some big play skills. And it was far from the only time he has done this. Last month or more with one dud game, leaps to WR24 overall last week, that is a low end WR2 but I see big potential this week. 

Tate has been flexing nuts, he's an every week starter for me. He only had the one bad game with a fumble, also the Lions throw a lot of WR screens to him which fail against good defenses but typically he racks up the YAC.

Users who are viewing this thread