What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is BBQ Over Saturated? (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
I know there are a lot of BBQ enthusiasts here, so it might not be the best place to ask. Lately, it seems like I can't go anywhere that the place isn't trying to introduce their own version of some BBQ. Places that have no business serving BBQ, but try it because its popularity is at an all time high. I say leave BBQ to BBQ places. 

Anyone else notice this around them?

Best form of flattery and all that.

Places that do lousy BBQ will only do it until they realize it isn't making them money. And there will be a few odd sorts of places that will actually make something good.

Like pizza I think it is hard to over saturate the BBQ market.

Don't know that I'd consider it a new phenomenon, but yeah. You never know, though -- a little Mexican mom and pop by me with a smallish homemade looking pit in the parking lot actually puts out some pretty great 'cue -- including lamb, which is kind of hard to find at most traditional places.

If you mean chain places, of course, but anyone that orders barbecue at say an Applebee's is going to get exactly what they deserve IMO.

Don't know that I'd consider it a new phenomenon, but yeah. You never know, though -- a little Mexican mom and pop by me with a smallish homemade looking pit in the parking lot actually puts out some pretty great 'cue -- including lamb, which is kind of hard to find at most traditional places.

If you mean chain places, of course, but anyone that orders barbecue at say an Applebee's is going to get exactly what they deserve IMO.
BBQ lamb... I'd be all over this if places started doing it.

I'm all for offering BBQ at more places, just don't confuse overcooked pork shoulder mixed 3:1 ratio with BBQ sauce with real BBQ. 

The independent food service industry self-corrects about as efficiently as any. If you're serving bad BBQ (or anything else), you'll know it pretty quickly by empty seats and bad reviews and you'll be gone.

I wish someone in my neck of the woods would make a good damned brisket. The BBQ places around here don't even offer it. 

BBQ is like BJs...they all are OK but some are much better than others.
Gonna have to disagree here -- slathering BBQ sauce on a grilled / baked boneless skinless chicken breast and calling it BBQ is much worse than just going with a good rub or even just salt & pepper.

Gonna have to disagree here -- slathering BBQ sauce on a grilled / baked boneless skinless chicken breast and calling it BBQ is much worse than just going with a good rub or even just salt & pepper.
Of course...talking about BBQ where people are actually trying..

Best form of flattery and all that.

Places that do lousy BBQ will only do it until they realize it isn't making them money. And there will be a few odd sorts of places that will actually make something good.

Like pizza I think it is hard to over saturate the BBQ market.
Pizza, pho, and BBQ are examples of foods that restaurants tend to do poorly unless they specialize in just those things. (I've actually had very good pizza at a restaurant that didn't specialize in just pizza, but that's kind of rare. I've never had good pho or BBQ in a restaurant that didn't specialize in just pho or BBQ, respectively.)

Last edited by a moderator:
BBQ pizza, BBQ nachos, BBQ burgers, BBQ pasta...
Never seen that but it doesn't sound good for some reason. But how are we describing BBQ here? The first three things listed usually mean 'BBQ sauce' but that's different from throwing some smoked pork or brisket in with something.

Given the number of clients that want to go out for real BBQ when they visit I'd say no.  The NE and west coast are pretty barren for good stuff.

Pizza, pho, and BBQ are examples of foods that restaurants tend to do poorly unless they specialize in just those things. (I've actually had very good pizza at a restaurant that didn't specialize in just pizza, but that's kind of rare. I've never had good pho or BBQ in a restaurant that didn't specialize in just pho or BBQ, respectively.)
As a general rule I agree. But for instance the BBQ pulled pork sub at Harris Teeter, a local grocer, is actually pretty good. I don't know who makes it for them though. Still there are exceptions to most rules. 

Never seen that but it doesn't sound good for some reason. But how are we describing BBQ here? The first three things listed usually mean 'BBQ sauce' but that's different from throwing some smoked pork or brisket in with something.
There is a place here that makes phenomenal brisket nachos.  I could see the meats being added to pasta being very good too.  I'm west coast, so am not an expert by any means, but isn't mac n cheese a common BBQ side?

BBQ is kinda a dead zone here but the best local place serves what they call BBQ spaghetti.  It's pulled pork, spaghetti, BBQ sauce, and salsa, tossed together, topped with cheese and baked in the oven.  All homemade/fresh.  It's a lot better than it sounds.

There is a place here that makes phenomenal brisket nachos.  I could see the meats being added to pasta being very good too.  I'm west coast, so am not an expert by any means, but isn't mac n cheese a common BBQ side?
Yeah, it's a side but you don't drop your brisket in your mac n cheese. I assume BBQ pasta is all mixed together.

Pretty much no BBQ in northern Ohio. I guess I don't know what I'm missing. Shrug.
I cannot imagine. You are but a child, wandering in the hinterlands of lost taste buds. Thoughts and prayers that one day you can find what the rest of us have found.

Users who are viewing this thread