What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Haircut dilemma (1 Viewer)

Many years ago I went to "#2 all the way around please."

I get it cut when it gets long enough that when I wake up in the morning it looks different from the pillow.

Easy as can be.
If this is what you ask for buy some clippers. Put the #2 guide on and you are money. Easy savings.
I have a nice wahl clippers. I do this every other time. I can't stand doing my neck via a mirror.
A 3 way mirror with LED lights costs ~$35. I am able to give myself Great Clip quality fades.

When you ask your barbers for #2 all the way, they still taper your ears and neck, right?

And even at a place like Great Clips, you absolutely have to find someone you know can do it consistently and only use them.

about 5-7 yrs ago, my stylist/barber changed shops (about a half hour away now). it was very challenging finding a consistent replacement. When covid hit, my wife started cutting my hair and does a pretty good job. can't beat the convenience.

This is what it should look like -- Just an even taper/fade down to the bottom. Blends in with the top.

This is what she did to me a year ago (except even a little higher up).

This is what she did 3 days ago (no fade at all)

P.S. -- None of those are me

These all don't look that different. I was expecting something disastrous. Show us pics of your actual hair, coward.
Listen here....you're not living this right now. Pictures don't do it justice.

When I get my hair cut, I love to run my hands over it. The feel of it when it's just cut.....:chefskiss:

Right now when I do that, it feels like it did on Thursday. I got my haircut on Friday. Oh, and one side feels different than the other too.

This is what it should look like -- Just an even taper/fade down to the bottom. Blends in with the top.

These all don't look that different. I was expecting something disastrous. Show us pics of your actual hair, coward.
Actual picture of my hair currently

Yeah. She totally botched that.

We're nearly 2 pages in and no one's mentioned the free neck and shoulder massage you get at Sport Clips? Surely that needs to be considered here.

Or are you in Washington/Oregon, where those services are curiously not available (just noticed that disclaimer at the end of one of their commercials)?

We're nearly 2 pages in and no one's mentioned the free neck and shoulder massage you get at Sport Clips? Surely that needs to be considered here.

Or are you in Washington/Oregon, where those services are curiously not available (just noticed that disclaimer at the end of one of their commercials)?
Anyone with an elite tier notebook here will know I don't do Sports Clips.

You said you willingly went to Great Clips.

When you go to Great Clips, you forfeit all rights to say "I don't do ______."

Well crap so much for my reading comprehension. I think I just had Sport Clips on the mind since I saw that disclaimer while watching football this weekend and thought it was odd. Just went back to your OP and saw that it's Great Clips.

For the record we take my son to Great Clips for his haircuts and they are all over the place, even with their "Clip Notes" that supposedly ensures they're getting the same haircut no matter what stylist you happen to get.

The OP reminds me of my favorite workplace/management blog, Ask a Manager, where the blogger answers reader questions about job searching, workplace issues and management, and so many of the questions are ultimately about the fact that people don't like to have awkward conversations.

I'm pretty conflict-averse too, so I totally get it, but you really just need to man up and describe matter-of-factly what you want and what you don't want. If you don't think this woman is doing a good job cutting your hair, state that directly and ask for someone else. Don't reward a unsatisfactory job, don't stalk the place to make sure she's not there when you walk in, etc.

You said you willingly went to Great Clips.

When you go to Great Clips, you forfeit all rights to say "I don't do ______."
Tell him to go to your shop when it opens.

The OP reminds me of my favorite workplace/management blog, Ask a Manager, where the blogger answers reader questions about job searching, workplace issues and management, and so many of the questions are ultimately about the fact that people don't like to have awkward conversations.

I'm pretty conflict-averse too, so I totally get it, but you really just need to man up and describe matter-of-factly what you want and what you don't want. If you don't think this woman is doing a good job cutting your hair, state that directly and ask for someone else. Don't reward a unsatisfactory job, don't stalk the place to make sure she's not there when you walk in, etc.
It's funny because, while I don't seek out conflicts at all, I don't mind speaking up if something isn't right. At the same time, it also depends on how much it matters.

The first time she did it, I did say "well, it's a shorter than I was expecting" which is how she knew it wasn't what I was looking for. But, that was all that needed to be said at the time and it wasn't like I'm not going to tip her just because it went shorter.

This last one, when it was done, I did speak up and tell her it wasn't right and that I'd like it shorter. I explained I was looking for it to be faded and blended. It's a 1 guard near the top, down to 1/2 guard, down to nothing. Every other stylist that's done it knows exactly what that is, what to do, and gets it right. So she basically cut the bottom part shorter and didn't do anything in the middle to blend it in. So, I have 2 zones of hair length. At that point, I wasn't going to keep trying to explain to her what I'm looking for. She just isn't getting it. She's the only stylist in there at that time and there's 3 people waiting. So I said that's fine and left. Again, I'm not going to not tip her.

After getting home and looking at it, it was worse than I thought. So, at that point I wanted to get it touched up to fix it. But I don't want to ask someone else to do it while she's there. I should be able to and I get that, but it's just not worth it for being awkward. I'd rather just get it done when she's not there.

So, I'm just going to go to another one and get it done. And I don't care about going back if she's there in the future and just asking for someone else. That part doesn't bother me. I just didn't want to get her haircut fixed by someone else while she's there. It got especially weird when I talked to the manager a couple days ago without realizing she was there as I thought the store was closed and it was just the manager.

It would be different if it was someone I was forced to deal with in the future. I would find a new way to communicate what I'm looking for, etc. Or if she did this on purpose. But, it's really just not that important and I can avoid getting it cut by her pretty easily moving forward. Just not worth making her feel weird about it.

Many years ago I went to "#2 all the way around please."

I get it cut when it gets long enough that when I wake up in the morning it looks different from the pillow.

Easy as can be.
If this is what you ask for buy some clippers. Put the #2 guide on and you are money. Easy savings.
I have a nice wahl clippers. I do this every other time. I can't stand doing my neck via a mirror.
I stopped using a mirror. Been cutting my own for about 25 years now, so I got a pretty good idea to free hand it.
At least I think so, but then again, I really don't care.

Holy ####, please tell me that isn’t really you.

Looks like my six year old cut his hair

đź’Ż me. It's bad, isn't it?

It’s pretty rough. My family still talks about “that one time you got your hair cut in Wisconsin over Christmas vacation.” It was horrible. Made your latest cut look like a Warren Beatty makeover. This was over a decade ago and it still gets mentioned annually by my mother around Christmas when we visit.

But the thing is, my main takeaway was “this is on me.” Why? I went to Great Clips and a completely unknown stylist. That’s on me.

Why is that relevant? Man, you went to a stylist who already botched the exact same haircut once before. You knew she sucked, you knew the risk, and you sat in the chair anyway. And damn, talk about paying the price.

It’s bad. Gotta get it fixed, asap. Anywhere. Just not by her. I get it.

But long term……dude find a real barber who cuts hair. Someone who is reliable. Someone who you can keep going back to without a revolving door of options.

I love my hair, unapologetically. No offense to all the baldies in here, but when you have great hair it sucks when people mess it up. Take care of it the right way gian.

Note: zero of the above is shtick (although any follow on comments from here on will be pure gibberish on purposes).

there is almost always a barber shop in town where the barbers are experts in all types of male haircuts. Especially fade types.

Get one who is in their 20’s to 40’s to be safe. Some of the really old barbers are hit or miss.

It’s pretty rough. My family still talks about “that one time you got your hair cut in Wisconsin over Christmas vacation.” It was horrible. Made your latest cut look like a Warren Beatty makeover. This was over a decade ago and it still gets mentioned annually by my mother around Christmas when we visit.

But the thing is, my main takeaway was “this is on me.” Why? I went to Great Clips and a completely unknown stylist. That’s on me.

Why is that relevant? Man, you went to a stylist who already botched the exact same haircut once before. You knew she sucked, you knew the risk, and you sat in the chair anyway. And damn, talk about paying the price.

It’s bad. Gotta get it fixed, asap. Anywhere. Just not by her. I get it.

But long term……dude find a real barber who cuts hair. Someone who is reliable. Someone who you can keep going back to without a revolving door of options.

I love my hair, unapologetically. No offense to all the baldies in here, but when you have great hair it sucks when people mess it up. Take care of it the right way gian.

Note: zero of the above is shtick (although any follow on comments from here on will be pure gibberish on purposes).
You do have fantastic hair.

True conversation that took place here at home:

Friday:
Me: "Does my haircut look weird?"
Wife: (30 seconds of staring at my head) "I guess"

Saturday:
Me: "I'm going to go back to get my hair fixed"
(less than 10 minutes later as I walk back in)
Wife: "That was fast"
Me: "She was there again. I didn't get it done"

Monday:
Me: "She was there again. I still didn't get it done"
Wife: "You're an idiot"

Step 1 - don't go to Great Clips. You are a grown man, pay more than 20 bucks for a haircut :hophead:
We already know this. In the What's Normal Do you get your hair cut at Great Clips, I'm fine being in the minority.

It's a simple haircut that I don't really care that much about and haven't had any issues in pretty much never except twice with this same stylist. I like my chances moving forward.
Great Clips is awesome. Sh!tty haircuts, but they’re cheap, fast and you can check in online. But the best part is they log your preferences into their system, such that you don’t even have to speak to the stylists, yet they always “know” what you want. Or they should.

But if you’re really terrified by the bad stylist, surely there is another location nearby?
"Great Clips is awesome". This is where you lost me. Bad haircuts, but they're cheap and fast? That's like saying a restaurant is awesome because the food sucks, but it's cheap and you get large portions.

True conversation that took place here at home:

Friday:
Me: "Does my haircut look weird?"
Wife: (30 seconds of staring at my head) "I guess"

Saturday:
Me: "She was there again. I didn't get it done"

Monday:
Me: "She was there again. I still didn't get it done"
Wife: "You're an idiot"
And showing the stylist the photo on your phone and seeing if she can recreate it and redeem herself is shtick?

I’ve been going to the same lady for 34 years. Next time you are in KC - my treat.

She can’t do a fade but a simple parted-down-the-middle and feathered back is in her wheelhouse.
How's this afternoon looking for you? I need this addressed ASAP.
I'm good but I'll need to clear it with the old folks home she works out of.
HEY! We like a good stylin' as much as the next geezer.

Step 1 - don't go to Great Clips. You are a grown man, pay more than 20 bucks for a haircut :hophead:
We already know this. In the What's Normal Do you get your hair cut at Great Clips, I'm fine being in the minority.

It's a simple haircut that I don't really care that much about and haven't had any issues in pretty much never except twice with this same stylist. I like my chances moving forward.
Great Clips is awesome. Sh!tty haircuts, but they’re cheap, fast and you can check in online. But the best part is they log your preferences into their system, such that you don’t even have to speak to the stylists, yet they always “know” what you want. Or they should.

But if you’re really terrified by the bad stylist, surely there is another location nearby?
That's like saying a restaurant is awesome because the food sucks, but it's cheap and you get large portions.
Great Clips is the equivalent of fast food, for hair.

Might be a good idea to combine the two.

All the guys in here just telling you to do it yourself....98% of them have no clue what a good fade is. If you want to just do a #1 or #2 all over, then sure, do it yourself. But fading yourself is a learned skill over time. Just find a different place.

Users who are viewing this thread