What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Haircut dilemma (1 Viewer)

Man, we've got a resolution. Great Clips ftw and they've earned a customer for life.

So, after the failed phone call attempt, I realized I needed to move onto another place as others suggested. I brought my car in for service today and lo and behold, there's a Great Clips just a 1 minute walk away. I don't believe in fate, but this did have me wondering a bit.....

I sign in online with my phone as I'm walking over. I go in and there's no one in except an elderly lady sitting up front who is clearly not waiting to have her hair done. The lady working there checks me in and I go "So, we have a little situation. Can I talk to you for a moment?". She's a little taken aback but, I was smiling, so she smiles back and goes "Ok, let's head back to the chair and we can talk there". Perfect.

I gave her a somewhat Cliff's version of the OP. She's nodding in affirmation as I'm talking. When I'm done, her words are like music to my ears: "So, tell me what we're looking to do so we can fix this". I tell her, she throws the robe over me and she starts going to work. Now, it's weird, but I can FEEL when my hair is being cut right and when it's the right length. This cut is feeling like magic. She's done in less than 10 minutes, shows me the back, and I've got a proper fade. While in the chair, we were chatting it up as I was making sure to come off friendly. As we were talking about what happened with the last cut, she said "I could see the problem with your hair as soon as you came in" and she agreed that it wasn't done right.

When we were all finished, we head to the register. The nice thing is that the "clip notes" actually are available at all locations so she could see what I ask for and could see I was there 3 days earlier. I didn't know that since I've only gone to the 1 location since they started the "clip notes". As I'm pulling out my $10.99 card to pay, she rings it up as no charge since this was fixing up a recent cut. I handed her $5, thanked her, and headed on my way.

THAT is customer service. And all of you that are bagging on Great Clips, I would suggest you rethink your position on them.

I'd like to thank all the excellent advice I got in here.
:useless:
Updated hairdo

It's so much better now.
This is great shtick!

Man, we've got a resolution. Great Clips ftw and they've earned a customer for life.

So, after the failed phone call attempt, I realized I needed to move onto another place as others suggested. I brought my car in for service today and lo and behold, there's a Great Clips just a 1 minute walk away. I don't believe in fate, but this did have me wondering a bit.....

I sign in online with my phone as I'm walking over. I go in and there's no one in except an elderly lady sitting up front who is clearly not waiting to have her hair done. The lady working there checks me in and I go "So, we have a little situation. Can I talk to you for a moment?". She's a little taken aback but, I was smiling, so she smiles back and goes "Ok, let's head back to the chair and we can talk there". Perfect.

I gave her a somewhat Cliff's version of the OP. She's nodding in affirmation as I'm talking. When I'm done, her words are like music to my ears: "So, tell me what we're looking to do so we can fix this". I tell her, she throws the robe over me and she starts going to work. Now, it's weird, but I can FEEL when my hair is being cut right and when it's the right length. This cut is feeling like magic. She's done in less than 10 minutes, shows me the back, and I've got a proper fade. While in the chair, we were chatting it up as I was making sure to come off friendly. As we were talking about what happened with the last cut, she said "I could see the problem with your hair as soon as you came in" and she agreed that it wasn't done right.

When we were all finished, we head to the register. The nice thing is that the "clip notes" actually are available at all locations so she could see what I ask for and could see I was there 3 days earlier. I didn't know that since I've only gone to the 1 location since they started the "clip notes". As I'm pulling out my $10.99 card to pay, she rings it up as no charge since this was fixing up a recent cut. I handed her $5, thanked her, and headed on my way.

THAT is customer service. And all of you that are bagging on Great Clips, I would suggest you rethink your position on them.

I'd like to thank all the excellent advice I got in here.
:useless:
Updated hairdo

It's so much better now.
It may have felt like magic, but it looks like the dark arts

So, just as an aside, this thread is like 99% factual.

But I indeed did tip her $10. I'm not a Neanderthal. That part got the expected response.

Hair still looks good today!

So, just as an aside, this thread is like 99% factual.

But I indeed did tip her $10. I'm not a Neanderthal. That part got the expected response.

Hair still looks good today!
See, I was going to defend your $5 tip. That seems fine for a $20 haircut. I'm fairly certain GreatClips pays their employees hourly so the hero lady did not sacrifice anything from her pocket when fixing your haircut for free. You spent a great deal of time and money and still ended up with a high and tight. Great thread.

What should I do? I have a similar style with short (number 2 guard) on back and sides and blended to the top with just enough to comb. It takes at most 20 minutes for a cut. In general I prefer walking out with it shorter than longer. I don't care enough to go anywhere fancy and too cheap to pay anyway.

Should I just cut myself with clippers I use for my high school son who has thick hair or use another of my "season pass" at sport clips?

Just thought about this thread the other day. My usual stylist — at a salon, not a barber — wasn’t available for about 2-3 weeks and my hair was getting out of control. I had a work trip and decided “hey, why not go to an old school barber?”

Huge mistake. It was a butcher job. I could “feel” or sense that he was cutting too much hair, despite my instructions to “just give me a minor trim.”

Painful. It will take me 2-3 months to get back to a normal “flow” in my hairstyle……

Ugh.

Just thought about this thread the other day. My usual stylist — at a salon, not a barber — wasn’t available for about 2-3 weeks and my hair was getting out of control. I had a work trip and decided “hey, why not go to an old school barber?”

Huge mistake. It was a butcher job. I could “feel” or sense that he was cutting too much hair, despite my instructions to “just give me a minor trim.”

Painful. It will take me 2-3 months to get back to a normal “flow” in my hairstyle……

Ugh.
Shoulda gone to Great Clips.

Ha, so this was fun.

Got on the list on the app and headed to the salon. As I'm walking up, playing out different scenarios of how this is gonna go, I already see another stylist so I know I'll be good to go.

I walk in with another older gentleman and see that it's my nemesis stylist plus this other one I already saw. The other I saw is with a customer while not-my-stylist has just finished up.

Even though I walked in ahead of older guy, I motion for him to go ahead. This is working out perfectly.

As I'm waiting, I'm realizing old guy is going to finish first. And I'm the only one in there waiting. It's looking like I'm still going to have to tell her I'll just wait for the other stylist.

Just as older guy finishes, another guy walks in. She gets him on the list, cleans her station, and then when she comes back, she doesn't even look at me. Granted, I've got my head down, reading on my phone, but she proceeds to call this new guy even though I'm higher on the list.

Perfect!! We've effectively blackballed each other.

Went back with the other stylist, got my hair cut perfectly just how I like in like 10 minutes and went on my way.

:moneybag:

Ha, so this was fun.

Got on the list on the app and headed to the salon. As I'm walking up, playing out different scenarios of how this is gonna go, I already see another stylist so I know I'll be good to go.

I walk in with another older gentleman and see that it's my nemesis stylist plus this other one I already saw. The other I saw is with a customer while not-my-stylist has just finished up.

Even though I walked in ahead of older guy, I motion for him to go ahead. This is working out perfectly.

As I'm waiting, I'm realizing old guy is going to finish first. And I'm the only one in there waiting. It's looking like I'm still going to have to tell her I'll just wait for the other stylist.

Just as older guy finishes, another guy walks in. She gets him on the list, cleans her station, and then when she comes back, she doesn't even look at me. Granted, I've got my head down, reading on my phone, but she proceeds to call this new guy even though I'm higher on the list.

Went back with the other stylist, got my hair cut perfectly just how I like in like 10 minutes and went on my way.

I went to a random barber place the other day to check it out. There were two guys cutting hair and three people waiting when I got there. When the one guy finished up I was surprised I was up next. Now I know why. No shame in waiting for the right barber/stylist.

Ha, so this was fun.

This reads like a guy talking in code (‘salon’, ‘stylist’, ‘hair cut’) who had a bad experience at a brothel but decided to go back one more time.

Glad it worked out!

Ha, so this was fun.

What did you tip her?

Ha, so this was fun.

I don’t get why you couldn’t just put your name on the list and note you’ll wait for the stylist you want. :shrug:

Ha, so this was fun.

I don’t get why you couldn’t just put your name on the list and note you’ll wait for the stylist you want. :shrug:
Well, I've had a few there and they've all been fine. Didn't know who was working so couldn't request someone. They don't answer the phone.

The only thing I could have requested was "anyone but xxxxx".

Ha, so this was fun.

What did you tip her?
Good ole 5 spot.

@gianmarco never thought I’d spend the better part of my morning reading about your hair, but you’re my guy so I had to follow this thing through to the end. After reading all four pages, I have a different thought than most.

I think you’re wasting a golden opportunity here. My solution is, you have to go back to the stylist that messed up your hair twice. I feel like she has unlimited untapped potential and here’s why. You mentioned after your first cut that it was a little too short. For this stylist to be able to store that comment in her brain, see you a month later, and remember you and the comment tells me she’s built different.

For that second cut, she was locked in. She knew one thing, don’t cut it too short, and she didn’t. Was the cut abysmal? Absolutely. But it wasn’t short. This lady seems like a perfectionist. With your help, she could be the greatest stylist in Great Clips history. Are you going to have to endure some bad cuts and ridicule from your peers in the process? Probably. But in my opinion, this is a marathon and not a sprint. In the long run, this lady is the person you’re looking for.

I think for your next cut you apologize and tell her, “we are going to figure this thing out together.” Once you do that, the sky is the limit for your hair and this stylist’s future. Best of luck, GB.

Users who are viewing this thread