What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Haircut dilemma (2 Viewers)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Trying to decide the next move.

3 days ago, I went to go get a haircut. I've been getting the same haircut for the last couple decades. It's pretty straightforward, just a fade and finger length cut on the top. Usually takes 10-15 minutes and I don't have issues getting it done. I get it cut about once/month. After moving a few years ago, there's a Great Clips that's a few minutes away where I always get it done. Since going there, I've had multiple stylists take care of my hair without problems.

About a year or so ago, I went in for a cut, and the lady that did it cut it way short. Basically like a high and tight military haircut. Whatever, not what I was looking for, she could tell after it was done, but I didn't complain or get upset. No big deal, it'll grow back. Luckily, since then, I've always been able to get a different stylist without really avoiding her and, even if so, it was just a one off thing so I wasn't that worried about it.

Well, I go for my haircut 3 days ago and she's the only stylist in. And, after she starts cutting my hair, she remembers how she took it too short the previous time. I laughed and told her no big deal, she commented how I was still nice about it at the time, and then did her thing. She then shows me when it's done and this time she's gone in the other direction. None of it is short enough and it barely looks like I got a haircut. So, she can tell again it's not quite right. I ask if she can go ahead and take it shorter and just blend it in. She proceeds to take the bottom part shorter, nothing in the middle, and now it looks silly when she shows me again after she's "done". I say it's all good, tip her, then leave.

After I get home, I realize that it just needs to be fixed. So I head back to the Great Clips the next day, they are closing a bit early that day but I see the manager walking out as she's closing up. I go up and say "hey, don't need it right now, I can just come back when open again, but this is what happened, can I just get it touched up so it looks better". She tells me "of course, come on Monday when our other manager is in and she'll take care of you". I then ask for the stylist's name from the day before since she was the only one there just so I can know who to avoid if I call and ask who's there in the future. As I'm asking, that stylist starts to walk out. She sees me talking to the manager just outside the door, and I basically just say "thanks" before anything else since it was awkward and headed back home.

Well, I went over this morning again to try and get it done and as I'm looking in the store before I go in, it looks like the same stylist is there again!! I tried calling but no one was answering the phone.

So, now I'm stuck. I want to get this fixed. I don't feel like constantly driving back to this store, even though it's close, to try and find out when the lady I want to avoid is there. I don't know if I need to find a whole new store now because it's starting to get really awkward. My wife thinks I'm an idiot. I'm thinking of flying out to @offdee to get this done.

What's the next move? Suggestions and all shtick welcome. Go!

TL;DR -- I go to Great Clips for haircuts, never had issues except once before and now a second time, I'm cheap and don't like to pay a lot for 10 minute haircuts and now going back to my spot is awkward and need to figure out what to do next to fix my crappy haircut.

Last edited:
Step 1 - don't go to Great Clips. You are a grown man, pay more than 20 bucks for a haircut :hophead:
We already know this. In the What's Normal Do you get your hair cut at Great Clips, I'm fine being in the minority.

It's a simple haircut that I don't really care that much about and haven't had any issues in pretty much never except twice with this same stylist. I like my chances moving forward.

I haven't been to Great Clips before, but can't you find a stylist you like there and then book monthly appointments with her? Rather than taking chances that you'll get what you want, find somebody that gives you the haircut you want and then keep going back to them.

I haven't been to Great Clips before, but can't you find a stylist you like there and then book monthly appointments with her? Rather than taking chances that you'll get what you want, find somebody that gives you the haircut you want and then keep going back to them.
So, I actually used to do this at the previous Great Clips I went to before I moved. Had the same person for years, loved her. Then we moved, and I went back to her, but then Covid happened and that branch closed. I started going to this one close to me. Because of Covid, staffing was erratic. I also didn't care as much. And every time I got someone else, they all got it right. So, it just didn't matter anymore. I've been there for 3+ years and never had a bad haircut until the one time a year ago and now again 3 days ago. Otherwise, it's the same 3-4 people that do my hair and they know what to do without me even having to say much or anything at all.

She legit has no idea how to do a fade.

You can probably find a better shop charging the same price that's even more conveniently located. Next time you get a good haircut, ask the stylist for their card and make future appointments with them. This bad stylist is likely fresh out of school but now the whole environment there is soured.

Or, you can buy a $100 clipper set, $20 for shears and you or your wife can start doing haircuts. It will likely take a couple hours at first but the results should be okay.

So, I actually used to do this at the previous Great Clips I went to before I moved. Had the same person for years, loved her. Then we moved, and I went back to her, but then Covid happened and that branch closed. I started going to this one close to me. Because of Covid, staffing was erratic. I also didn't care as much. And every time I got someone else, they all got it right. So, it just didn't matter anymore. I've been there for 3+ years and never had a bad haircut until the one time a year ago and now again 3 days ago. Otherwise, it's the same 3-4 people that do my hair and they know what to do without me even having to say much or anything at all.

She legit has no idea how to do a fade.
But, you have never told her she can't cut your hair the way you want it. You told her it all looked good and you tipped her.
I suggest you just say to her "Thanks for the haircut, but it isn't what I wanted. I prefer to go to another stylist." You don't have to slink around avoiding her and you don't have to be a jerk when you tell her you don't want her cutting your hair.

This is what it should look like -- Just an even taper/fade down to the bottom. Blends in with the top.

This is what she did to me a year ago (except even a little higher up).

This is what she did 3 days ago (no fade at all)

P.S. -- None of those are me
Have you shown the stylist the first pic? A picture is worth a 1000 words. If you show the photo to her and she still can't get it right, time to find another stylist.
Look, I know I said shtick is welcome, but this is a little over the top.

Had similar experience years ago at Super Cuts but fortunately the offending stylist was short lived there. Since Covid I'm now in the home cut group. Bought a good pair of clippers and my cut is pretty basic (one length on the side, slightly longer on top and blend). My wife picked it up quick saves me $25 every three weeks and I enjoy giving her a tip for good service.

This is what it should look like -- Just an even taper/fade down to the bottom. Blends in with the top.

1 and 2 are barely different. 3 is just grown in.

as @xulf said, buy some clippers and do it yourself. i've paid for 2 haircuts in the last 30 years or so.
3 is what I look like after a month from getting it cut like #1. That's when it's time to get it cut.

#2 is basically to the skin from the bottom to the top. It's definitely different.

Not a huge deal, which is why I wasn't worried when it happened, but also not what I asked for.

1 and 2 are barely different. 3 is just grown in.

as @xulf said, buy some clippers and do it yourself. i've paid for 2 haircuts in the last 30 years or so.
3 is what I look like after a month from getting it cut like #1. That's when it's time to get it cut.

#2 is basically to the skin from the bottom to the top. It's definitely different.

Not a huge deal, which is why I wasn't worried when it happened, but also not what I asked for.
you tipped her twice and didn't really say anything. it's on you at this point. just go MOP on her. seems to work for him.

Many years ago I went to "#2 all the way around please."

I get it cut when it gets long enough that when I wake up in the morning it looks different from the pillow.

Easy as can be.

About a year or so ago, I went in for a cut, and the lady that did it cut it way short. Basically like a high and tight military haircut. Whatever, not what I was looking for, she could tell after it was done, but I didn't complain or get upset. No big deal, it'll grow back. Luckily, since then, I've always been able to get a different stylist without really avoiding her and, even if so, it was just a one off thing so I wasn't that worried about.
So like this, but without the world records? The earrings look good on you, BTW.

I get it cut when it gets long enough that when I wake up in the morning it looks different from the pillow.

Easy as can be.
If this is what you ask for buy some clippers. Put the #2 guide on and you are money. Easy savings.
I have a nice wahl clippers. I do this every other time. I can't stand doing my neck via a mirror.

Easy as can be.
i do #1 myself. so easy
I have some dignity and self respect left. Just doing #1 all around crosses that line.

That's why I go to Great Clips instead to get a little more sophisticated look.

Last edited:

Easy as can be.
i do #1 myself. so easy
I have some dignity and self respect left. Just doing #1 all around crosses that line.

That's why I go to Great Clips instead to get a little more sophisticated look.
i could do some sort of fade if i wanted one. but i have bozo the clown curly hair. best not to share it with the world

meh, like you said... it will grow back. Just live with it until then and if she's your only option next time you go there, tell her you will wait. NBD.

P.S. It's been over a year since my last haircut :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread