What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Being Informed: what news sources? (1 Viewer)

Leeroy Jenkins

Footballguy
With all of the fake news, biased sources, or organizations more concerned with ratings or being just cheesey, pc, or predictable, what are we supposed to do to remain informed about the country and the world?

Fox and MSNBC are mostly biased and cnn tries, but have become a joke really. Maybe they are good to report that SOMETHING happened, but none are REALLY reliable when it comes to being informed, educated, or investigative. 

What three sources should we be reading, watching, or subscribing to in order to get more in depth analysis, opinions, predictions that are not terribly skewed onr way or another?

I say at least three because I want a source that may lean left, right, and supposedly neutral so that we can see more than one side or analysis.

Npr, the atlantic, wsj, bloomburg, reuters, bbc?  

Magazines, internet, newspapers, youtube channels, network/cable?

I like podcasts. On Point from MPR - Tom Ashbrook. The Economist. PBS News Hour. 
Common Sense with Dan Carlin is fantastic, but he doesn't produce as much as he use to these days. Shame, that was my breath of fresh air when it came to politics.

I'm liking the daily VICE. episodes on hbo, especially the first few minutes that look around the world.

Or do we all just get our news here?
Seriously, this is where I go.  I hear or read something somewhere and come here to find out the gist.  You can ask questions and there are enough intelligent and knowledgeable people around to get a decent answer.

Seriously, this is where I go.  I hear or read something somewhere and come here to find out the gist.  You can ask questions and there are enough intelligent and knowledgeable people around to get a decent answer.
I do too really and that is why I am asking for sources people here frequent. 

That depends. Do you want conservative or liberal news? Do you want the real news, fake news, fake fake news or the real fake news? Do want your news delivered by a leggy blonde or cranky old man? Racist or race baiting? I am sure we can find just the right news for you!

NY Times and Washington Post plus whatever your local paper is.

ETA: WSJ for business news.

Last edited by a moderator:
NPR, PBS, Vice, NY Times, Economist, WSJ. Financial Times, BBC, Reuters, Atlantic all rank pretty highly in my book.  

NPR, PBS, Vice, NY Times, Economist, WSJ. Financial Times, BBC, Reuters, Atlantic all rank pretty highly in my book.  
Several of those clearly have a bit of a liberal bias, but as long as you know that they are still very good sources, since they do high quality reporting. 

I find that many financially-oriented news outlets tend to have better balance in their news reporting (though generally not their editorial content) since the profit motive tends to outweigh political dogma.  

I like clicking on Facebook links and Twitter.  
Twitter is actually a great way to get exposed to all sorts of sources. You just have to be careful about who you follow and be a discerning consumer.

I have two Twitter accounts: One that is primarily sports related and the other that is for financial news, political news and other news. 

Both feeds expose me to a huge amount of stuff that I can choose to click through to read or that I can just scan.

I'm not sure if I'd say I go here for news but this is definitely where I get most of it.  Lots of smart posters and usually we link to reliable sources/stories.  I don't have enough time to follow/read everything I'd like.

Coincidentally I just came across this helpful chart

I could quibble with where some of the sources around the middle of the chart fall on the horizontal axis (that the NY Times is located right at the middle of the partisan bias axis says something about whoever made this chart, I think), but I think this is still a pretty useful heuristic.

Just saw this and it seems somewhat relevant. 

Coincidentally I just came across this helpful chart

I could quibble with where some of the sources around the middle of the chart fall on the horizontal axis (that the NY Times is located right at the middle of the partisan bias axis says something about whoever made this chart, I think), but I think this is still a pretty useful heuristic.
That's a hell of a coincidence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Prison Planet, Infowars, Breitbart, Weekly World News, National Enquirer, Fox News, Washington Times, Pravda, and Donald Trump's twitter feed are all fantastic.

:shrug:   I just make it up as I go.
Ha, the George Carlin Theory!  I just call it the way I see it, and if I don't see it I make it up!    ;)

Seriously, OP, just find something that reinforces what you already believe and share that on a discussion board without compromise.

I don't do tv but I should read more too. I subscribed to The Economist and The New Yorker. They are both great but I just don't read them enough even though I now have them. 

PBS lost me a few years ago with the NFL concussion "documentary."  As a brain guy, their presentation was clearly omitting an immense part of the narrative.  They had a clear axe to grind in the story they wanted to tell.  It is clear from their other stories there is a liberal agenda they want to promote, and that's fine in some respects for me as someone who is, by and large liberal, too.  But, I want the news and editorial decisions about what to present and how to present it to be unencumbered by political preference as much as possible.  It's very clear what filter they use and for that I much prefer BBC and will put WaPo and NYT side by side for counterbalance.

Users who are viewing this thread