What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (1 Viewer)

However, on Monday, Stone argued that the reason for the indictment against him was much simpler. “Look, I honestly believe that they’re going to try to charge the president and the vice president with some hoped-up frame of Russian collusion,” Stone said on Monday night. “That way they can make [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi president. She can make Hillary Clinton vice president and then step aside. It’s a nightmare but I think that’s what they have in mind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/roger-stone-mueller-will-try-to-charge-trump-pence-with-hoped-up-frame-of-russian-collusion.amp
Any relation?

However, on Monday, Stone argued that the reason for the indictment against him was much simpler. “Look, I honestly believe that they’re going to try to charge the president and the vice president with some hoped-up frame of Russian collusion,” Stone said on Monday night. “That way they can make [House Speaker] Nancy Pelosi president. She can make Hillary Clinton vice president and then step aside. It’s a nightmare but I think that’s what they have in mind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/politics/roger-stone-mueller-will-try-to-charge-trump-pence-with-hoped-up-frame-of-russian-collusion.amp
If somehow Pelosi became POTUS there is no way in hell she'd step aside for anyone.

Not sure who this Bush state department guy is.  But it was about Khanna's opposition to Trump's regime change coup in Venezuela.  
When someone is referred to as a Russian asset (and I know we’ve discussed this before) that doesn’t mean he’s acting knowingly or with malice on behalf of Russia.  It’s because someone does things like this that aid Russia. 

There is no question in my mind that Trump is a Russian asset.  That does not say anything about whether he personally conspired with Russia or is personally guilty of a crime related to Russia. 

Can you explain how Khanna was duped by Russian propaganda?  Ukraine does have a vibrant neonazi movement.  The Azov battalion does have strong ties to neonazi figures.  This opinion writer smeared John Conyers as 'Putin's Man in Congress' in 2015.  I know it's enough for bucky to post oops and a laughing emoji, but where was Khanna 'duped' here?  
This is a really long discussion about Ukraine, Slavic native faiths, symbolism, and propaganda.  Can I put a pin in this and discuss tomorrow or another day soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really long discussion about Ukraine, Slavic native faiths, symbolism, and propaganda.  Can I put a pin in this and discuss tomorrow or another day soon?
You're welcome to, but don't feel obligated to on my account.  The subject of the tweet was Venezuela.  Which is an interesting development.  Opposing the US coup in VZ is explicitly antiTrump, and explicitly against 'foreign interference'.  Which is something I would've thought people who'd spent the past 2 years arguing about election meddling would be upset about, especially coming from Trump.  And yet those same people are taking the proTrump position, as opposed to the nominally 'proRussian' position of opposing illegal US intervention abroad. 

Really, I was hoping someone would acknowledge what it means to them that people like Michael Weiss can toss out Cold War smears against a Congressman because they have a dissenting view on regime change wars, which Weiss has spent his whole career cheerleading.  Here it is, being weaponized against a progressive congressman in broad daylight.  I'm waiting for the big 'No Sense of Decency' moment when people realize how destructive and dangerous this is.  

I see people dunking on Trump associates for getting indicted.  Ok, great.  How about acknowledging the cultural shift that's happened that this sort of propaganda tactic has been normalized again.  

You're welcome to, but don't feel obligated to on my account.  The subject of the tweet was Venezuela.  Which is an interesting development.  Opposing the US coup in VZ is explicitly antiTrump, and explicitly against 'foreign interference'.  Which is something I would've thought people who'd spent the past 2 years arguing about election meddling would be upset about, especially coming from Trump.  And yet those same people are taking the proTrump position, as opposed to the nominally 'proRussian' position of opposing illegal US intervention abroad. 

Really, I was hoping someone would acknowledge what it means to them that people like Michael Weiss can toss out Cold War smears against a Congressman because they have a dissenting view on regime change wars, which Weiss has spent his whole career cheerleading.  Here it is, being weaponized against a progressive congressman in broad daylight.  I'm waiting for the big 'No Sense of Decency' moment when people realize how destructive and dangerous this is.  

I see people dunking on Trump associates for getting indicted.  Ok, great.  How about acknowledging the cultural shift that's happened that this sort of propaganda tactic has been normalized again.  
Oh, sure.  Yeah, that’s stupid and there are good reasons not to listen to Michael Weiss about anything.  Frankly, the guy’s so frightened of Islam it’s almost good to see him branching out to another subject. 

This is kind of funny in a nerdy-lawyer-kind-of-way.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1090025939810037762

Stone is due to be arraigned in DC tomorrow.  His attorneys filed motions to be admitted in the DC court pro hac vice (allows a non-bar member to appear before a court for a specific case).  It is somewhat procedural - but you have to follow all the procedures.  And, thus far the Judge determined that the lawyers have not fulfilled all of the requirements, and gave them until 9:00 am tomorrow to comply if they want to be heard.

I expect they will get everything in order by the morning, but kind of amusing to see them scrambling a bit now.
This is kind of amazing.

Henry Ford said:
No, he was just a lobbyist for war criminals.  Way better. 

It’s unfathomable to me that you get on Obama’s case, but the guy who actually lobbied internationally for Mobutu Sese Seko is a swell guy. 
Is it really though?

No, more like guys like Junior, Bucky, Juxatrot, Sinn Fien, Orten to Tanner, Sho Nuf, Fish and hundreds more on this forum are already convinced he is guilty where guys like myself, knowledge dropper, opie, ren, go birds believe in innocent until proven guilty and are waiting to see the report but suspect it is a big nothingburger.  Glad to hear you are waiting to see the report too Henry.  👍
I have always been waiting to see the report and have been saying it for almost two years. 
So have all the others listed.  The only difference between DN and everyone else his he suspects it's nothing where the others listed suspect there is something.  That's not a good :hophead:  position....a little absurd hyperbole never hurt anyone did it?

Agree. I think he's guilty, but if Mueller comes back with report that says he's clean I'll believe him.
I haven't chimed in a lot during this thread because honestly I'm kind of ready for it to be over too and I just don't have the time to follow it.  I'll caution what I think I did a long time ago - for me, if he's guilty then they should sentence/impeach/whatever him appropriately.  But we don't get the last 2 years back either way.  And if he's not, then that's good that it played out and he was exonerated - I think for those interested in "healing" our divide that may be the best outcome (although I'm not certain).

But no matter which way it goes I still take issue with the fact that he doesn't know what he's doing, he's made a mess of things and he intentionally divides us - he's a horrible POTUS whether he colluded or not.

Wait, people are still unsure about collusion?

These guys are all crooks. And not only are they crooks, they're really really bad at being crooks.

They're all guilty. 100%.

Not saying I think Trump ends up in an orange jumpsuit to match his hair, but he's definitely guilty.

As of last night, not in DC. He has until 900 ET to fix it somehow. He just needs someone local to show up.
This seems like a crazy move not only because hes a guy that should ha e DC lawyers just because of his job, but he knew he was going to have legal issues. Hes not a stupid man. This must be a calculated move on his part, right?

This seems like a crazy move not only because hes a guy that should ha e DC lawyers just because of his job, but he knew he was going to have legal issues. Hes not a stupid man. This must be a calculated move on his part, right?
Ha, well they didn’t meet the deadline. That’s just pure stupidity and incompetence. I don’t think there’s any ‘crazy like a fox’ here. Maybe someone can still show up, like a public defender, the arraignment itself is at 1100 ET. 

Ha, well they didn’t meet the deadline. That’s just pure stupidity and incompetence. I don’t think there’s any ‘crazy like a fox’ here. Maybe someone can still show up, like a public defender, the arraignment itself is at 1100 ET. 
I imagine he might have local counsel for this morning - and his normal lawyers will ask to be added at a later date.

I think the local counsel can enter an appearance at any time - it was the out-of-area lawyers that had to file their motion to appear by 9:00 am.

But, who knows.  :shrug:

And if he's not, then that's good that it played out and he was exonerated - I think for those interested in "healing" our divide that may be the best outcome (although I'm not certain).
I would hazard a guess that Mueller's report - no matter what it says, will not change too many minds...

I imagine he might have local counsel for this morning - and his normal lawyers will ask to be added at a later date.

I think the local counsel can enter an appearance at any time - it was the out-of-area lawyers that had to file their motion to appear by 9:00 am.

But, who knows.  :shrug:
Just reading what you posted earlier, Stone had a guy named Farkas (yes) who was named in the motion, but had not actually appeared as counsel of record, which is really weird. I guess he could just "appear" at the hearing as you say.

Wait, people are still unsure about collusion?

These guys are all crooks. And not only are they crooks, they're really really bad at being crooks.

They're all guilty. 100%.

Not saying I think Trump ends up in an orange jumpsuit to match his hair, but he's definitely guilty.
Or, they're totally innocent and they've just lied about everything every step of the way, tampered with evidence and witnesses and tried to shut down the investigation. You know, all the stuff that totally innocent people do all the time.

Maybe he'll try to be his own lawyer.
I think like Sinn says, it will work out and there will be a local lawyer there. It's just weird. The guy who was able to appear apparently they didn't want on the record, and the people they wanted on the record didn't have the right to appear. 

Or, they're totally innocent and they've just lied about everything every step of the way, tampered with evidence and witnesses and tried to shut down the investigation. You know, all the stuff that totally innocent people do all the time.
Let's not forget how many people keep pleading guilty for things they are innocent of.

I just don't know how anyone that isn't a Trumper has any doubt at this point. It's not like it's one story, one guilty person. It's everyone and everything. Wikileaks. Data sharing. Trump tower meeting. Trump Tower Moscow. Taking Putin's side over the United States. And they lied about all of it.

Let's not forget how many people keep pleading guilty for things they are innocent of.

I just don't know how anyone that isn't a Trumper has any doubt at this point. It's not like it's one story, one guilty person. It's everyone and everything. Wikileaks. Data sharing. Trump tower meeting. Trump Tower Moscow. Taking Putin's side over the United States. And they lied about all of it.
Sure but aside from that they have NOTHING!

Seriously I think the final report will be a censure of the Trump administration but will fall short of any definitive statement of collusion.  The Trump people will see it as a vindication and the Democrats will be telling everyone to connect the dots and you can see that Trump colluded.

Seriously I think they final report will be a censure of the Trump administration but will fall short of any definitive charge of collusion.  The Trump people will see it was a vindication and the Democrats will be telling everyone to connect the dots and you can see that Trump is guilty.
The summary of the report, yes I agree. The report itself I would expect to go deeper re: firing of Comey, public Trump statements (re: Wiki, siding with Russia over Justice Dept), continued reliance on joint defense agreements with a person who has pled guilty and signed cooperation agreement, etc. I'm not as convinced as others that this is coming to a quick conclusion if they were just fighting at supreme court re: records held by a foreign corporation, beginning to look into NRA funds, etc. I interpreted Whitaker's public comments yesterday as pushing for quick closure rather than an honest status statement. That would be in line with Giuliani - the sooner they end it, the less new evidence they find. 

Farkas has appeared.

- He's not a criminal law lawyer. He does IP and antitrust law.

- eta - Update - Pfft, Stone's lawyers have now been allowed in after all.  :kicksrock:
As a rule - courts really don't like technicalities - they will try to work a resolution on the merits where possible.  The only way Stone's lawyers were not going to be admitted was if they were in fact the subject to disciplinary proceedings in their home jurisdiction and not currently members in good standing with a bar.

We actually saw a similar incident with the Special Counsel's office in the VA Manafort case, where local rules required that a named counsel be admitted to the EDVA.  It took a little bit for the Special Counsel's office to add the local US Attorney as counsel of record.  Part of that is procedural - but the practical aspect for all courts is that each court as a set of local rules that may have specific requirements in pleadings, how things are served on opposing parties, etc.  It is easier to have local counsel who are familiar with those rules so you don't run afoul of an impatient judge.

John Hudson‏Verified account @John_Hudson

FollowFollow @John_Hudson

More

SCOOP: Russia has made a secret offer to North Korea for a nuclear power plant, inserting itself into the high-states nuclear talks between Washington and Pyongyang. New report from me and @Nakashimae
Uh that seems like a bad thing. Will President Not A Puppet come out against it?

This is kind of funny in a nerdy-lawyer-kind-of-way.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1090025939810037762

Stone is due to be arraigned in DC tomorrow.  His attorneys filed motions to be admitted in the DC court pro hac vice (allows a non-bar member to appear before a court for a specific case).  It is somewhat procedural - but you have to follow all the procedures.  And, thus far the Judge determined that the lawyers have not fulfilled all of the requirements, and gave them until 9:00 am tomorrow to comply if they want to be heard.

I expect they will get everything in order by the morning, but kind of amusing to see them scrambling a bit now.
This from Sen Kennedy(LA) made me laugh. Not a big fan but he has some pretty good quotes and is a straight shooter.

https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/01/28/roger-stone-talked-his-way-indictment-senator-john-kennedy-says

Users who are viewing this thread