What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Russia Investigation: Trump Pardons Flynn (6 Viewers)

What reason is Trump going to give for pardoning Manafort?

I would think he would want anyone colluding with Russia through Hillary in jail, no?
This is all a witch hunt to distract from the real crimes that Hillary and the DNC did colluding with the Russians. Pardon must be given to move beyond this and work on legislative agenda to MAGA.

So are we working with the assumption that Trump could pardon Manafort and there will be little or no consequences? It would scream obstruction on its face to anyone being honest about it. 

Also could he theoretically pardon now, and the indictment goes away, or does the pardon only apply following a conviction? Because that puts Manafort in an interesting spot -- does he keep his mouth shut and let the conviction come, with full trust that Trump will keep his word and issue the pardon? :lol:  
I think this was always hard to answer as a generality.  We're relying on the political process to supply the consequences, so the substance of the charges is really significant.  If the charges were just something boring like FARA charges, it's easy to think that the Republicans in Congress would give Trump cover without worrying too much about the consequences in the midterms. 

But if you have specific evidence of high level guys talking to the Russians and reporting back to Trump, then it becomes riskier for a Republican facing reelection to put his neck out for a president he doesn't particularly like anyway.  And yeah, some districts are probably safe even in that event.  They're filled with RBM types who wouldn't care if Trump were literally getting coded orders from Putin.  But if the charges are serious enough, then even some presumably safe districts become dicey. 

It's a similar question to the talk of firing Mueller.  After the Papadopoulos charges, I think that becomes really hard to do now.  Because it's clearly no longer just a witch hunt.  If Trump fires Mueller now, it looks less like him being peeved about a meritless investigation affecting his ability to govern and more like a craven attempt to cover his ###. 

I agree with the other posters who have said that the Papadop news may be the bigger story.  He plead guilty and admitted that, at the March 31st meeting, he told everybody that he could help arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.  That makes everybody in that picture at least a potential witness.

Wow, just turned on Fox and they are talking about this. Good for them. Going back to the fair & balanced model.
That's good. This morning one of their anchors was saying that all the money from the "Russia Investigation" should have been money spent on our veterans and that the Left is out to destroy the military. 

Pardoning someone charged with "conspiring against the United States" doesn't seem like a political winner.  

And defending a guy who is bloodied and weak and unfaithful for pardoning someone for "conspiring against the United States" even less so. 

At what point does Trump's association with people like Manafort speak to his horrible judgement?  Never I guess? 
Pretty much where it begins and ends for me.  He's already displayed his inability to do anything of consequence.  Fortunately, his incompetence is a net positive to legislation success.  Personally, I don't want him gone unless Pence can be thrown out with him.  I don't want Pence anywhere near the Presidency.

Trump hires only the BEST criminals and traitors to the United States to run his campaign! The best! Drain the swamp! MRGA!!
What's amazing is that this Papadopoulos guy apparently had no real foreign policy profile.  He listed the freaking Model UN on his Linked In page.  Which explains how he was originally part of Ben Carson's team (Ben didn't have his pick of foreign policy experts).  But somehow this guy ends up on the presumptive nominee's foreign policy team.  And the first thing he does upon being appointed is try to set up meetings with his Russian contacts.  The clear implication is that this guy was put on the team to do just that. 

i just picture sean connery cnn saying to alex trebek fox the day is mine trebek take that to the bank bromigos

The other thing about the Papadopoulos news is that it pushes back the timeline that the Trump campaign new about "dirt" until April 26 (a day before the Mayflower hotel meeting by the way).  That's before news of the Podesta hack was publically released (the DNC hack was in May/June).  

White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said President Trump was “focused on other things” when asked about the 12-count indictment of former campaign chairman Paul Manafort Monday morning.

“The president is very focused on other things. What he said yesterday in his tweets is no different than what he said all along,” Conway said during an interview on Fox & Friends. “I just want to tell you that the president continues to focus on what matters to people.”

Well, at least Trump waited a few minutes before proving her wrong.

Pardoning someone charged with "conspiring against the United States" doesn't seem like a political winner.  

And defending a guy who is bloodied and weak and unfaithful for pardoning someone for "conspiring against the United States" even less so. 
Would that really hurt Trump though?  I imagine the lines are drawn already no matter what happens.  Supporters will keep supporting at this point no matter what.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I think Trump can do whatever he wants including fire Mueller with no real repercussions until 2020 (If enough comes out he might be a lame duck by the next election but that is not even close to the case yet).

Wow, just turned on Fox and they are talking about this. Good for them. Going back to the fair & balanced model.
how can't they....this is huge...despite their desire to sweep this under the rug or minimize it...it's just too big.

If Trump pardons Manafort, you have to believe there are still charges at the state level they could get him on.

All this would do would serve to get Trump impeached ASAP.

Would that really hurt Trump though?  I imagine the lines are drawn already no matter what happens.  Supporters will keep supporting at this point no matter what.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I think Trump can do whatever he wants including fire Mueller with no real repercussions until 2020 (If enough comes out he might be a lame duck by the next election but that is not even close to the case yet).
I wonder if they are baiting Trump into pardons - I imagine some of the fraud claims as it relates to bank loans could be brought in state court - where a presidential pardon has no effect.  Thus, you get Trump to show his hand, then nail Manfort anyway - and presumably pressure him into rolling over on Trump (or Trump family members).

Users who are viewing this thread