What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrius Guice, Free Agent (4 Viewers)

I'm not comparing Welker to Guice. I'm saying the injury isn't what it used to be. If 8 years ago a 30 athletic Wide Receiver came back in 8 months and posted a career year. I'm not worried about a 22 year old kid who had 22 months to recover in the year 2019.
Oh I agree with that - but it’s a little weird to be talking about this in relation to Guice,     since he reportedly had to have several follow-up surgeries. 

Who's the last offensive player to struggle coming back from an ACL?
Guice, apparently. :lol:  

He’s still likely to take significant playing time from Guice.

would anyone be shocked to see a 900+ yard, 8 TD season out of AP?

I wouldn’t. 
I would bet the house against that. Barring injury to Guice, no way AP even gets 800 yards.  It's funny to me that you show concern for AJ Green's ankle injury and Guice's ACL but you're confident in a 34 year old Adrian Peterson going for 900 yards. Even though Peterson is already banged up in camp himself.

He’s still likely to take significant playing time from Guice.

would anyone be shocked to see a 900+ yard, 8 TD season out of AP?

I wouldn’t. 
Maybe. He's 34 and time catches up to these guys especially RBs.

He produced very well last season but looked more like a stop gap type player that produces with volume than a Hall of Fame talent. I wouldn't say he couldn't reach those numbers but I wouldn't project them. It will depend on what the Skins decide to do. Do they want to see what their young RB can do before having to decide what to do in next year's draft or do they want to give work to a 34 year old RB when they don't (likely) have much to play for?

I think it will depend on how healthy Guice is - and there seems to be some confusion on that right now. If he's healthy I think Peterson will be the backup and see some work but only a series or two per half. I don't plan on owning either of them though - if Peterson's ADP is Round 11 I guess I'd consider that but at that point I'm probably looking at QB or TE if I haven't addressed them yet.

I would bet the house against that. Barring injury to Guice, no way AP even gets 800 yards.  It's funny to me that you show concern for AJ Green's ankle injury and Guice's ACL but you're confident in a 34 year old Adrian Peterson going for 900 yards. Even though Peterson is already banged up in camp himself.
 I just read Peterson looks like Adonis and is having a solid count. Where did you read he was “banged up“?   Link? 😳

AP is a freak of nature. He might be an alien. But I do think Guice will the man as soon as he's ready. And none of us know when that is. But I'm glad I have him in most of my dynasty leagues. The only way this team is going to win games is with running the ball and good defense. And those happen to be their 2 strengths by all accounts right now. I certainly don't expect them to light it up in the passing game with a rookie QB and castaways and no legit #1 NFL WRs....

Given the track record would you be surprised if he’s in incredible shape? 
Almost every NFL player is in incredible shape. It's meaningless fluff when you hear it. I'm  sure Peterson is in great shape - I wouldn't be shocked if he can still play effectively but at 34 I wouldn't be shocked if he looks toasted on game day either.

Last thing I heard about AP he was weighing in on the QB situation, and there was a bit about his current financial woes. 

The last thing I heard about AP himself, he was still the fastest guy on the team.
Haha I mean it’s cool and all that the 3 guys interviewed didn’t want to disrespect ADP but there’s no way he’s the fastest guy on the team. McLaurin just ran a 4.35 at the combine which was faster than ADP ran and no way ADP is as fast as he was then. Just a lot of fluff IMO.

Kareem Copeland @kareemcopeland

Derrius Guice still hasn’t been cleared to play in games. Gruden says he’s right at the line. But probably won’t be cleared before tomorrow evening.

I just read Peterson looks like Adonis and is having a solid count. Where did you read he was “banged up“?   Link? 😳

That's in response to how good of shape he's in. I haven't heard he's injured either.

Then it's your lucky day gentlemen. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man™ has your back.

August 4th, 2019

Washington Redskins RB Adrian Peterson (leg/rest), CB Quinton Dunbar (illness), CB Greg Stroman (groin) and OT Morgan Moses (rest) sat out practice Sunday, Aug. 4.

https://www.fantasyguru.com/redskins-adrian-peterson-3-others-sit/

August 5th, 2019

Washington Redskins RB Adrian Peterson (ankle) has a minor ankle injury and might miss another day of practice Monday, Aug. 5.

https://www.fantasyguru.com/redskins-adrian-peterson-nicked-up/

August 5th, 2019

Peterson is expected to sit out Monday's practice while tending to a mild ankle injury, JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reports.Peterson missed the Redskins' previous session due to the issue, but coach Jay Gruden said there was little concern about the veteran running back's health heading into the regular season. Though the 34-year-old could be subjected to limited reps during the exhibition slate as a result of the injury, that likely would have been the case even if he was at optimal health. Peterson finished the 2018 season as Washington's top back, but he'll face stiffer competition for reps this season with Derrius Guice and Chris Thompson back to full strength early in training camp.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-adrian-peterson-nursing-mild-ankle-issue/

August 14th, 2019 (today)

Peterson (ankle) has returned to practice at training camp. Briefly sidelined by an ankle injury, Peterson otherwise seems to have enjoyed good health throughout spring and summer practices. He was held out of the preseason opener along with a slew of other key veterans, but he could get a few carries in the second or third week of the exhibition slate. The 34-year-old is facing competition from Derrius Guice, who still hasn't been cleared for full contact but appears on track for a game appearance before the end of the preseason. With Chris Thompson set to handle passing downs, Washington may open the season with a three-headed backfield.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-adrian-peterson-practicing-again/

Then it's your lucky day gentlemen. Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man™ has your back.

August 4th, 2019

Washington Redskins RB Adrian Peterson (leg/rest), CB Quinton Dunbar (illness), CB Greg Stroman (groin) and OT Morgan Moses (rest) sat out practice Sunday, Aug. 4.

https://www.fantasyguru.com/redskins-adrian-peterson-3-others-sit/

August 5th, 2019

Washington Redskins RB Adrian Peterson (ankle) has a minor ankle injury and might miss another day of practice Monday, Aug. 5.

https://www.fantasyguru.com/redskins-adrian-peterson-nicked-up/

August 5th, 2019

Peterson is expected to sit out Monday's practice while tending to a mild ankle injury, JP Finlay of NBC Sports Washington reports.Peterson missed the Redskins' previous session due to the issue, but coach Jay Gruden said there was little concern about the veteran running back's health heading into the regular season. Though the 34-year-old could be subjected to limited reps during the exhibition slate as a result of the injury, that likely would have been the case even if he was at optimal health. Peterson finished the 2018 season as Washington's top back, but he'll face stiffer competition for reps this season with Derrius Guice and Chris Thompson back to full strength early in training camp.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-adrian-peterson-nursing-mild-ankle-issue/

Peterson (ankle) has returned to practice at training camp. Briefly sidelined by an ankle injury, Peterson otherwise seems to have enjoyed good health throughout spring and summer practices. He was held out of the preseason opener along with a slew of other key veterans, but he could get a few carries in the second or third week of the exhibition slate. The 34-year-old is facing competition from Derrius Guice, who still hasn't been cleared for full contact but appears on track for a game appearance before the end of the preseason. With Chris Thompson set to handle passing downs, Washington may open the season with a three-headed backfield.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/redskins-adrian-peterson-practicing-again/
Sounds like he has a severe case of preseason veteranitis to me. 🙄

He answered a question with actual reports of injuries.  He does the work and then those reports are immediately discarded... so why ask the question?  <_<
I didn’t see any injuries. I saw something saying a “minor ankle” thing, from August 5th.

🙄

Weird because you said he’s banged up (present tense) but in the very thing you posted it said he’s “enjoyed good health”

isn't that weird? 

Cmon son. 

I see. You're opinion is completely valid. I just figured that Guice is going to come back from his ACL without issue like the past 10-15 offensive players who have suffered the same injury have.

Ever since Wes Welker tore his ACL and MCL in January 2010, was recovered by September 2010, and posted a career high 1,569 receiving yards at age 30... the injury stopped scaring me. Both the recovery and the loss of athleticism.

I'm not comparing Welker to Guice. I'm saying the injury isn't what it used to be. If 8 years ago a 30 athletic Wide Receiver came back in 8 months and posted a career year. I'm not worried about a 22 year old kid who had 12 months to recover in the year 2019. 
Welker had his worst year in NE right after his ACL injury. Tore his ACL January 2010. Played in 2010, but had only 86/848/7 receiving (his only NE season below 110 receptions or 1100 yards). Then in 2011 (20 months after his injury) he had a career year.

Welker had his worst year in NE right after his ACL injury. Tore his ACL January 2010. Played in 2010, but had only 86/848/7 receiving (his only NE season below 110 receptions or 1100 yards). Then in 2011 (20 months after his injury) he had a career year.
You're right. I was pulling up the stats at work and as basing it off this article. I suppose it makes more sense that he didn't come back as Superman, lmao.

I wish Guice was cheaper than his 7th or 8th round adp.  Guice might have tier one potential but this season he is just a handcuff in a bad situation.  Adrian Peterson looked good last year and might be an anomaly when it comes to running back longevity.  James Andrews said he had never seen a knee as pristine as Peterson's when he did surgery on him.  Add to that Chris Thompson.  Add to that defenses stacking the line because of the lack of a passing threat.  Add to that a horrible offensive line.  Add to that a team that won't run much because they will be playing from behind. 

I'd be a Guice buyer in dynasty because of his vast potential.  He is the perfect player to target mid-season in dynasty if your team isn't playoff bound.  But I can't justify a 7th or 8th round pick on him in redraft when quality tight ends and wide receivers are still available in the draft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At the onset he did. In the second half he was a jag.  He was 3.66 after game 7. And would have been 2.97 but for the 90 yarder on MNF week-13, where his other 8 carries went for 8 yards.
Having Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, and Dirty Sanchez at quarterback and an offensive line riddled with injuries probably had a lot to do with Peterson's second half decline.  But one reason for optimism for Guice is that Gruden won't hesitate to bench Peterson if he isn't producing.  Gruden is fighting for his job and isn't going to worry about upsetting Peterson.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many running backs in the NFL who can produce on a horrible offensive with an inept offensive line.

Having Josh Johnson, Colt McCoy, and Dirty Sanchez at quarterback and an offensive line riddled with injuries probably had a lot to do with Peterson's second half decline.  But one reason for optimism for Guice is that Gruden won't hesitate to bench Peterson if he isn't producing.  Gruden is fighting for his job and isn't going to worry about upsetting Peterson.  Unfortunately, there aren't too many running backs in the NFL who can produce on a horrible offensive with an inept offensive line.
Guice’s 3 down skillset should help with the crappy OL too. They can get him the ball with short passes and mismatches vs LBs. Can’t do that as effectively with ADP.  

Honestly, I see his biggest risk (aside from the team being horrible) as Peterson.  He might be old, but he's still getting it done.  I don't think Guice is going to relegate Peterson to the bench entirely, and then Thompson is coming back as well.  It's already a small pie, and he's only getting ~1/3 of it at best?
I'm going to go ahead and reiterate this after seeing him in action last night.  Dude still has it.  I get that 4 carriers isn't a large sample, but you can still see that he is what he was last year, which wasn't bad at all. 

I'm going to go ahead and reiterate this after seeing him in action last night.  Dude still has it.  I get that 4 carriers isn't a large sample, but you can still see that he is what he was last year, which wasn't bad at all. 
Dude looks like he could run for 1,200 yards. I just watched it. Crazy. He's definitely the value of the two.

I still believe in Guice and thought Peterson would break down sooner than later but maybe not so much. 2 years ago it looked like AD was going break down on each of his carries but between last year and how he looked this year so far it looks like Guice investors may have to wait a while for a payoff.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Derrius Guice (knee, hamstring) is expected to play in Thursday's preseason game against the Falcons.

That's the Redskins' regular season dress rehearsal, and Guice is expected to get "some" action. As recently as last week, Guice had yet to be cleared for live games. It will be our only real window into Guice's health after a hamstring injury complicated his return from last year's knee washout. Fighting for touches alongside Adrian Peterson and Chris Thompson, Guice is a fantasy wild card.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 19, 2019, 3:12 PM ET

Guice:  3rd quarter w/ 2 carries and 1 pass block set. Then done.

Yet I'm still :popcorn: ✖️  1️⃣0️⃣0️⃣
funny. I think most of his owners would be too. I'm hoping he shows enough for me to trade him. I need help this year and I can't bank on the long game maybe working out. 

So far no bites but a strong showing tonight might get people excited, however it might make me believe he can be a decent flex/rb3 this year too

Running back Derrius Guice's first series showed a lot of what he can do. Guice ran with good vision on his first carry and showed patience and some power on his second. For a guy who had not carried the ball in a game for a year, that patience was impressive. But on a pulling action to the left, he let the linemen do their job but then also used a stiff arm to help himself. Guice can make a huge difference. His first two carries gained a combined 13 yards.

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

Second-year back Derrius Guice did a good job in his first action after missing last year with the torn ACL. He gained 44 yards on 11 carries, showing good patience and burst. He was able to gain six yards on one run when none were available. However, Guice was unable to gain more than a half yard on two runs from the 1-yard line. It wasn't all on him, but he'll have to move the pile down there, too. In fairness, he did get in on third down but a holding penalty nullified the score. Still, it was an excellent first showing for the second-year back; the Redskins should be happy. They wanted him to knock off some rust and develop confidence in his knee.

John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer

I'm a bit more intrigued after tonight, but still not in a hurry to get him.

People loved him coming out of college, and even after the ACL tear he's on everyone's radar.  I think the Redskins will stink.  I think they'll give Peterson and Thompson enough touches to get on your nerves.  I'm not sure I'm getting real excited about this offense for the next 2-3 years.  

Derrius Guice rushed 11 times for 44 yards in the Redskins' third preseason game, adding a four-yard reception on his lone target.

Guice appeared to have the first touchdown of his professional career late in the first half, but it was called back by an Ereck Flowers penalty at left guard. Go figure. Guice skied over the pile for the six that didn't count. Guice did not look like a player knocking off rust. He showed excellent vision on his first (eight-yard carry) while mixing in some power. Adrian Peterson figures to get the Redskins' Week 1 "start," but Guice will be involved from the jump. If he can stay on the field, he could overtake AD in short order.

Aug 22, 2019, 10:11 PM ET

I'm a bit more intrigued after tonight, but still not in a hurry to get him.

People loved him coming out of college, and even after the ACL tear he's on everyone's radar.  I think the Redskins will stink.  I think they'll give Peterson and Thompson enough touches to get on your nerves.  I'm not sure I'm getting real excited about this offense for the next 2-3 years.  
Football wise he looks like he's back and ready to contribute in a big way.  He's answered the question whether he's healthy now.

Fantasy wise there are many flags:  a.) this is a full on platoon; Peterson is not going to be emergency backup; they will share snaps.  And this is smart football with Peterson's age and Guise coming back from injury.  Why would you not keep both guys fresh?  b.) The lack of QB and strong left side of line will result in drives being halted prematurely and therefore will limit offensive snaps.

WIth his potential, he's definitely worth stashing, but you might have other guys you are starting Week 1

So what's the split going to be this year? Who gets the starts? Third down? Goal line?

Users who are viewing this thread