Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

Star Wars The Last Jedi Episode 8 thread: this thread sucks, you should avoid it even after you've seen the movie

Recommended Posts

Just now, Softballguy said:

I'll be curious to hear your opinion about the feel after this movie. It just didn't feel like a SW to me, not the first half anyway. I think that's why I may be a bit overly critical. 

Rogue One is my favorite. It's easily the best acted of all the SW movies, it has the best secondary characters, a good story, and the best scene in movie history for me.

I think a lot of people have a special place for Rogue One because of how it directly tied into the original movies.  So, once again we have that correlation with the originals that everyone holds so dear.  It's hard to measure up to those.

I'm hoping I can see the movie tomorrow morning or some time this weekend but it's not looking good so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kanil said:

I wasn't a huge fan of R1.  I have it above Empire but that's it.

Interesting. You have Empire last? And R1 next to last? You're quite unique in that, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Softballguy said:

Interesting. You have Empire last? And R1 next to last? You're quite unique in that, I think.

Wow yea I misread his previous post. Figured he meant the other way. 

 

Funna watch rogue one tonight. 

Edited by Capella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogue One was leaps and bounds better than this one. 

Last Jedi isn't a 2, but it's certainly not near a 10 either.  Too many issues with story/pacing/acting that overshadowed the parts of it that were quite well done, in my mind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finn had to be in this movie after playing such a strong role in Episode VII. The casino storyline wasn't perfect, but it did play an important part by teaching a hard, but hopefully valuable lesson to Poe if he is going to be leading the Resistance after Leia's death. I also thought it was important for Finn to see that both sides were being supplied by the weapons dealers. I loved the huge racing animals; but that kind of worldbuilding is just my thing as a DM.

I have a much different view of Star Wars and these movies because I have no nostalgia for the original trilogy. I liked this movie; I was balling my fists and sitting up straight in my seat several times throughout. In both VII and now VIII I think they have captured that Star Wars feel for a new generation.

My wife and I both agree that Kylo Ren is the best part of the new trilogy, and Rey is 1b. He might be a weak bad guy when you compare him to Vader or Palpatine, but we don't compare him to those two. I see him as this conflicted being with crazy power. The movie is leaving the past (original trilogy nostalgia) behind quite effectively and creating its own way. No need to extol why Rey is great here, you guys get it, but I do feel the need to defend Kylo Ren.

I would probably grouse were I in the same shoes as most of this board's demographic, but I'm not. "My" trilogy was the prequels, and I don't really hold them in high regard outside of a few parts of epic stuff. Tbh, I'm not sure the original trilogy holds too high a place besides it being a really awesome story. My parents weren't SW nuts, I had no older family that made me watch and appreciate the original trilogy, like how I'm sure a lot of you pass down IV-VI to your kids. I just wasn't there to experience it is all. As a 7th grader for Episode I, the podrace holds a special place in my heart but now so do these new films, and I think it's cool to be a big fan of the franchise now. It might just get me to dig into the original trilogy a bit more now with this appreciation I have for VII and VIII.

 

 

 

 

 

(My favorite Star Wars movie is a Disney production: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 1. ;))

Edited by hagmania
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Softballguy said:

Imagine if they dropped the whole Fin trip and instead developed just one of those ideas. The film would have been immensely better. 

I feel like the Finn trip was pretty important to the core concept of the movie though, which is failure and learning from it (and the subsequent character growth). Poe/Finn/Rose came up with a grand, terrible odds plan to save everyone... and ended up getting more people killed than if they'd done nothing at all.  I think it also provided character development for Finn.  I think as fans (and, generally, fans of the Rebellion/'good guys') we assume that Finn is one of them, but if you take only what is presented about his character without reading ourselves in to it, Finn isn't a rebel at the start of TLJ. As soon as he wakes up and grasps the desperate nature of the rebellion's status, his first thought is hugely selfish, to save himself and Rey. He has to be strong-armed into helping out and through that plot line he grasps what the point of the rebellion is and buys in.

Edited by mcintyre1
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely enjoyed this one, but I do think the tone was wrong in some places. There were too many jokes at times, I didn't feel that way while watching it, but in retrospect there were times when I should have felt more tension but the jokes kept the mood lighter than it probably should have been. 

I've read a lot of people complaining about how Luke was portrayed, but I actually really liked what they did with him. The galaxy (and fans IRL) have built up Luke to be this legendary hero, someone larger than life, and he even bought in to it himself. However we see that he's still a human being with failings. He looked in to Kylo's mind and saw the potential for great evil and was afraid. For that briefest of moments he considered ending it right then and there before realizing his mistake, but it was too late. He'd failed Kylo and there was no going back. He then retreated from the world and refused to face that failure. It isn't until he has a new apprentice that flirts with the dark side and resists it that he begins to deal with his previous failure and return to those that need him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Not a fan of this one, i'd give it 2.5/5.  The story didn't seem to flow and was wonky  and the dialogue felt forced.

 

can we just get The Rogue One Director to do the rest of these...that movie kicked ###.

Edited by TripItUp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed to not read any posts since last night but non-spoiler reaction seems very mixed.  Sounds like if you cherish the originally trilogy a little too much you're going to hate this movie.  Still need to wait two days to see *so many curse words*.  Sounds like I'll need to keep an open mind about this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will end up in the middle of the pack of SW films behind 5, 4, R1, and 7.  Too many flaws and shortcomings, but still lots to like in it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Managed to not read any posts since last night but non-spoiler reaction seems very mixed.  Sounds like if you cherish the originally trilogy a little too much you're going to hate this movie.  Still need to wait two days to see *so many curse words*.  Sounds like I'll need to keep an open mind about this.

It's hard to impossible to put the genie back in the bottle for your sense of wonder for the franchise based on your entry point. Everyone wants it to be something that it can't be for a lot of people.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

I think it all depends on what you wanted from this flick. I was hoping for a flushing out of Snoke, Knights of Ren, the 1st Order, Phasma  etc. We got little to none of that. 

Right. Don’t get me wrong, still enjoyed it. Just went in hoping to get some answers and we didn’t get any. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcintyre1 said:

I feel like the Finn trip was pretty important to the core concept of the movie though, which is failure and learning from it (and the subsequent character growth). Poe/Finn/Rose came up with a grand, terrible odds plan to save everyone... and ended up getting more people killed than if they'd done nothing at all.  I think it also provided character development for Finn.  I think as fans (and, generally, fans of the Rebellion/'good guys') we assume that Finn is one of them, but if you take only what is presented about his character without reading ourselves in to it, Finn isn't a rebel at the start of TLJ. As soon as he wakes up and grasps the desperate nature of the rebellion's status, his first thought it hugely selfish, to save himself and Rey. He has to be strong-armed into helping out and through that plot line he grasps what the point of the rebellion is and buys in.

Yeah I don’t agree...would have loved more back story on snoke instead...didn’t need Finn on the ship to kill phasma. Other than that I thought it was really good, at the very least better than the prequels.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone on reddit suggested ahkbar be at the helm of the ship instead of laura dern.

Then the bad guy yells, "it's a trap.". Right before ahkbar light speeds into them.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not reading the thread 'cuz spoilers.  But the Audience Score on Rotten tomatoes right now is the suck.  58%?  Sheesh.  I've got my seat for Wednesday but that score is concerning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I'm not reading the thread 'cuz spoilers.  But the Audience Score on Rotten tomatoes right now is the suck.  58%?  Sheesh.  I've got my seat for Wednesday but that score is concerning.  

At best the fan reaction is mixed and the critics have given it overwhelmingly positive reviews. Is it safe to assume that professional critics are bullied or paid to give these movies positive reviews at this point? Honestly, I haven't really paid attention to the tomatometer in long time anyway tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I'm not reading the thread 'cuz spoilers.  But the Audience Score on Rotten tomatoes right now is the suck.  58%?  Sheesh.  I've got my seat for Wednesday but that score is concerning.  

 

3 minutes ago, Hang 10 said:

At best the fan reaction is mixed and the critics have given it overwhelmingly positive reviews. Is it safe to assume that professional critics are bullied or paid to give these movies positive reviews at this point? Honestly, I haven't really paid attention to the tomatometer in long time anyway tho. 

Social Media and Rotten Tomatoes has ruined movie going for me.....or I have ruined movie going for me for lookin at such ####.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

 

Social Media and Rotten Tomatoes has ruined movie going for me.....or I have ruined movie going for me for lookin at such ####.

I agree.  I don't lean on it.  But typically you expect the fan base to be more positive than the critics.  Anyway, I'm going to the Drafthouse and they have a great beer list, so all is well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one user review from Rotten Tomatoes and I think his reasoning is the same that most other people have with their bad reviews. 

"UNDERWHELMING. Any other movie I would have given maybe 3 stars. But this is flippin Star Wars!"

Just because it's Star Wars and they've been obsessing over it for the last two years it makes it very hard to live up to expectations.  I don't think I'll be too disappointed because I not as die hard as many of these people.  I don't pay too much attention to the movie until a couple weeks before it's released.  It just seems better if I keep it out of my mind for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 minutes ago, Hang 10 said:

At best the fan reaction is mixed and the critics have given it overwhelmingly positive reviews. Is it safe to assume that professional critics are bullied or paid to give these movies positive reviews at this point? Honestly, I haven't really paid attention to the tomatometer in long time anyway tho. 

Critics seem to give movies bad reviews all the time. Just ask DC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Capella said:

 

Critics seem to give movies bad reviews all the time. Just ask DC. 

Do they ever give them to Disney tho? Disney is a monster. They own everything these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hang 10 said:

Do they ever give them to Disney tho? Disney is a monster. They own everything these days. 

Between Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilms, Disney makes really good movies. :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

Between Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilms, Disney makes really good movies. :shrug: 

Sure but they also make some ####ty ones but they always seem to get solid critical reviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hang 10 said:

Do they ever give them to Disney tho? Disney is a monster. They own everything these days. 

How many movies that Disney has made would you consider bad?  Every highly rated one I've watched I really enjoyed and the ones that didn't get high ratings I felt the same about.  I feel it's been pretty accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MattFancy said:

Haven’t seen any mention of the books that are on the Falcon at the end

Guessing Rey took them when she left in the Falcon. Which could explain why Yoda' s force ghost was so cool "destroying" them to make a point to Luke. They don't seem interested in delving into the mythology of the Jedi/Sith/Order of Ren and where Snoke ties in though, so I kinda doubt those books end up being important for anything other than being an explanation for how Rey eventually brings back the Jedi Order. The kid at the end being another little wink that probably won't come up in the next movie, just serving as proof that there are other Resistance-sympathetic Force sensitive candidates out there to be found and trained. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How many movies that Disney has made would you consider bad?  Every highly rated one I've watched I really enjoyed and the ones that didn't get high ratings I felt the same about.  I feel it's been pretty accurate.

What would your explanation be for a 93% TM and a 86 metacritic score if you see this movie and dislike it along with so many other fans? Remember, the fans that see it this weekend want to like it too! The critics are paid to be objective. Something doesn't add up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hang 10 said:

What would your explanation be for a 93% TM and a 86 metacritic score if you see this movie and dislike it along with so many other fans? Remember, the fans that see it this weekend want to like it too! The critics are paid to be objective. Something doesn't add up. 

Doesn't the metacritic score include all of those crazy 0 scores from users?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Doesn't the metacritic score include all of those crazy 0 scores from users?

No, metacritic uses professional critics to come up with their score.  Anything in the 80% range is pretty much considered great. 

 

ETA: but the scale is 0 to 100 so yeah, if a critic gave it a 0 that would obviously curve the score way down. 

Edited by Hang 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it last night with my wife and 14 year old daughter.  While I really like Star Wars my daughter is on a capella like level.  We all enjoyed the movie but I still think the original 3 movies are by far the best.  TFA may be 3rd in front of ESB.

Floating Leah was awful and it was not entirely clear right away if "It's a trap" guy died.  The entire Rey/Snoke/Kylo scene was my favorite.  I didn't like how long it took Rey to convince Luke to leave the island.  

My daughter loves Kylo Ren and won't stop talking about the scene with his shirt off, barf.  Not sure I liked the sudden way Kylo and Rey could start seeing each other.  It was done so Luke could pull off the final scene.

Rey was awesome as was Luke.  In fact, Rey is the only character I feel invested in at this point.  No so with the original movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Princess Leia flying part is where I must've really been snoozing.  I don't remember that at all.  That and Yoda, I sort of remember seeing him but he was like fake or something.  I was really baked and it was late, I'll need to see it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

I'm calling it.  The little kid at the end is Rey's brother.

He made the broom move with the force?  Just finished watching. People were ####### standing and clapping right at that part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cockroach said:

The Princess Leia flying part is where I must've really been snoozing.  I don't remember that at all.  That and Yoda, I sort of remember seeing him but he was like fake or something.  I was really baked and it was late, I'll need to see it again.

Leia going marry poppins was one of the weaker parts and purple hair durn needs to stick to dinosaurs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not expecting that much Leia. Was half their cgi budget doing a weekend at Bernie or did they shoot this many years ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hang 10 said:

Sure but they also make some ####ty ones but they always seem to get solid critical reviews. 

Name 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CentralPA said:

Malfiecent wasn't good.

I haven't seen it but it's 50% on rotten tomatoes, so the reviews weren't good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThreeThousand said:

Agreed.  Disney pretty much does nothing badly.

I should specify - name a bad movie they did that got good reviews. I mean maybe it happens and I haven't noticed. I usually stick to the Marvel/Star Wars flicks and they all vary from good to excellent. :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I was not expecting that much Leia. Was half their cgi budget doing a weekend at Bernie or did they shoot this many years ago?

:lol: She finished all her scenes before she passed. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Saw it last night with my wife and 14 year old daughter.  While I really like Star Wars my daughter is on a capella like level.  We all enjoyed the movie but I still think the original 3 movies are by far the best.  TFA may be 3rd in front of ESB.

Floating Leah was awful and it was not entirely clear right away if "It's a trap" guy died.  The entire Rey/Snoke/Kylo scene was my favorite.  I didn't like how long it took Rey to convince Luke to leave the island.  

My daughter loves Kylo Ren and won't stop talking about the scene with his shirt off, barf.  Not sure I liked the sudden way Kylo and Rey could start seeing each other.  It was done so Luke could pull off the final scene.

Rey was awesome as was Luke.  In fact, Rey is the only character I feel invested in at this point.  No so with the original movies.

At first, during those scenes I agree... But the conversation with Snoke paid it off in a big way.. They weren't "Accidentally" seeing each other. Snoke was connecting them to help get Rey to come to them so he could get Kylo to kill her and finally gain full control of Kylo. It failed just a little bit for Snoke ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snogger said:

At first, during those scenes I agree... But the conversation with Snoke paid it off in a big way.. They weren't "Accidentally" seeing each other. Snoke was connecting them to help get Rey to come to them so he could get Kylo to kill her and finally gain full control of Kylo. It failed just a little bit for Snoke ;)

Ok I don't recall Snoke saying he did that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AVClub gives it a B+

https://www.avclub.com/the-last-jedi-locates-that-middle-chapter-empire-strik-1821221823

 

 

The only issue I had with the movie has already been stated:  The Leia resurrection.  Trying to withold much judgement with hopes that it will have explanation in the next movie.  Otherwise, it was a total waste.  The movie would have moved forward without her just fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked it fine.  Besides the Leia nonsense, I assume people were just too invested in some crackpot theory they wanted to come true when they say the movie sucked.  I saw people rating it below the cartoon-esque prequels I subjected myself to again earlier this week.  It's better than those, and my first thought was it was better than #7.

Granted, I didn't realize how high I was until I was trying to walk around Costco at lunch.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CentralPA said:

Managed to not read any posts since last night but non-spoiler reaction seems very mixed.  Sounds like if you cherish the originally trilogy a little too much you're going to hate this movie.  Still need to wait two days to see *so many curse words*.  Sounds like I'll need to keep an open mind about this.

I’m a big fan of 4-6 since they came out as I going through my teenage years. I thought TLJ was fantastic - an engrossing movie that entertained me. :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not reading this whole thing to see if this has been covered, but here's where I was disappointed:

Luke's X-wing is under water at the island.  Why show it if you aren't going to use it (Chekhov's gun and all)?   If Luke is going to go all empty-robe Kenobi at the end, he may as well have let Kylo strike him down in person.   How awesome would Luke showing up in the X-Wing with the Millennium Falcon laying cover for him one last time have been?  Feel like this was a huge missed opportunity for an iconic moment; instead we get a new jedi trick that ends up making no difference as far as how Luke's story ends.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.