Stinkin Ref

Why in the world would Jerry just release Romo?

62 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2017 at 4:01 PM, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

My question still stands. How much do you really save if you cut Romo and then you need to go out and get a competent back up?

ETA- and is the team better off or worse? 

Well, when the Cowboys cut Romo and he signs with the Texans, then the Texans will cut Brandon Weedon, and the Cowboys can sign him as their back-up. I mean he already knows the system. Plus you can let Sanchez compete with him, so you will bring out the best in both. Genius!! :D

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, dhockster said:

Well, when the Cowboys cut Romo and he signs with the Texans, then the Texans will cut Brandon Weedon, and the Cowboys can sign him as their back-up. I mean he already knows the system. Plus you can let Sanchez compete with him, so you will bring out the best in both. Genius!! :D

:lol: 

The Weedman returns 

2 hours ago, The Claymaker said:

i think it would be a great move by JJ to let Tony walk and he pick a team to try and help. It would be a cold move to trade him to the Browns or Jets and see  him get smashed his final couple seasons. I am so sick of hearing that the NFL is "just business", yes, we all get it, nobody give a crap about another human. It would be refreshing and shocking to see it happen, and I like Romo, so I hope he gets a shot on a decent to good team. Tony doesn't strike me as a quitter, but hes not the QB to have in a rebuild, at lease not for him. 

It's a business of money. When it comes to winning you trade a player to any team which provides you the best return, period.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

It's a business of money. When it comes to winning you trade a player to any team which provides you the best return, period.

Not to sound sarcastic but, no kidding. Obviously Dallas will most likely do whatever helps them the most as would any team, its a business and once Romo leaves that facility who cares what happens to him. Just simply saying it sucks to see that happen to certain players. 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Casting Couch said:

I think other things factor in many times....like very rarely do you see teams in the same division trade each other....Jerry probably wouldn't trade Romo to an NFC east team even if they had a slightly better deal....

Edited by Stinkin Ref

58 minutes ago, Stinkin Ref said:

I think other things factor in many times....like very rarely do you see teams in the same division trade each other....Jerry probably wouldn't trade Romo to an NFC east team even if they had a slightly better deal....

Absolutely do not trade a starting QB or other key player to a division rival. 

I heard some talk of romo restructuring to make his contract more trade friendly. I don't know why he would do this other than being nice to jerry jones. The cowboys can't afford to keep him as a backup, they need the space. Maybe there is enough trust there that romo restructures and jerry trades him to the team he wants to go to, but it's a whole lot easier to just be a free agent and not risk being in Cleveland because they are willing to part with a better pick. Plus you weaken the team you're going to by robbing them of a draft pick. I wouldn't be thrilled with Sanchez as a backup, but if they want to sign someone else it won't come with romos cap number. 

On 2/16/2017 at 7:11 PM, nightmare said:

Dallas is $12 million over the cap. No team is going to trade for Romo with his big 2018 and 2019 salary.
Dallas has to be under the cap prior to March 9th, 4PM and trading doesn't begin until after that.
J Jones doesn't have the options but to cut T Romo. 

Cowboys restrict Smith and Frederick ... now $5.8 mill UNDER the cap.

This is the tried and true method of cap accounting Dallas has used over the years to max out its salary cap space.
Edited by STEADYMOBBIN 22
1 person likes this

The update to the article says they are projected only $4M under, which means they still don't have enough space to trade Romo... yet. They will have to continue to make moves to get further under if that is the route they are going (plus they still will need a few million in space to sign their rookies.)

25 minutes ago, Buckna said:

The update to the article says they are projected only $4M under, which means they still don't have enough space to trade Romo... yet. They will have to continue to make moves to get further under if that is the route they are going (plus they still will need a few million in space to sign their rookies.)

Romo's contract is already accounted for at $24.5M, so yes they "have space to trade him" as it would be a $19.6M hit if they did so they actually clear another $5M doing so.

Edited by Hankmoody
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Hankmoody said:

Romo's contract is already accounted for at $24.5M, so yes they "have space to trade him" as it would be a $19.6M hit if they did so they actually clear another $5M doing so.

You are correct, somehow got it backwards that it was $5M hit to trade him, not a relief.

Now imagine Dak Prescott did not go bonkers last year and steal Tony's job..... 

How on gods green earth would they be able to keep Romo on the roster ???????????? 

This notion that it's a foregone conclusion that Romo is getting cut or traded is stupid.  He won't be a distraction, they have paid him $100 million over his entire career,  trading him would immediately put you in the hall for another quarterback which you would still have to pay in addition to the dead money for cutting Romo. 

Someone please convince me that it makes football sense to get rid of Romo. 

If you're going to carry 90% of a guy salary you might as well take advantage of having  that commodity  at your disposal. 

Not only are you going to carry the guys diead salary, you're going to let him go to another team, likely a playoff contender who you may eventually face and this man knows everything about your entire organization intimately, inside and out!!!! 

You guys are crazy in the head.  Tony Romo can sit his ##### ### on the bench  and make tens of millions of dollars, have his third kid with his hot blonde wife and live out his days in Texas.

They would keep Romo on the roster by restructuring a bunch of their highest earners, like they just did with Smith/Frederick

While the idea of keeping him on as the world's most expensive insurance policy is a nice idea, I think in reality it would do more harm than good.  Tony would be miserable and there's only so long someone can continue to play the good teammate before the frustration leaks out and becomes a distraction.  And every single time Dak (or the team) had a bad game we'd all have to spend an entire week hearing about why Romo needs to start.  And I'm including the coaches in "we" and frankly I wouldn't put it past Jerry to be one of the mob pushing for Romo.  If Dak is the future, commit to him.  Let Tony go play somewhere else.  

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, BradtheAg said:

They would keep Romo on the roster by restructuring a bunch of their highest earners, like they just did with Smith/Frederick

While the idea of keeping him on as the world's most expensive insurance policy is a nice idea, I think in reality it would do more harm than good.  Tony would be miserable and there's only so long someone can continue to play the good teammate before the frustration leaks out and becomes a distraction.  And every single time Dak (or the team) had a bad game we'd all have to spend an entire week hearing about why Romo needs to start.  And I'm including the coaches in "we" and frankly I wouldn't put it past Jerry to be one of the mob pushing for Romo.  If Dak is the future, commit to him.  Let Tony go play somewhere else.  

This is hands-down the best argument I've heard for getting rid of him. 

Let's be real honest, Tony Romo isn't going to go to another team and win a Super Bowl. Outside of Peyton Manning these things rarely ever happen. 

The best thing for him would be to suck it up, sit on the bench for two more years and collect a lot of cash.  

He can retire a Cowboys and walk off into the sunset as Danny White 2.0. 

It depends if they are happy with the roster they have. If they want to add pieces, it will be had to accomplish with Romo having nearly a $25 million cap hit. Keeping Romo would limit their options in that regard.

I am not really sure it's in the team's best interest to have an uber expensive back up on the roster (see the Jimmy Garoppolo thread for discussion). Having your highest paid player by almost $8 million (at least salary cap wise) on the bench seems like a poor business practice, as those financial resources could be better served to upgrade or bolster depth at other positions.

35 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

It depends if they are happy with the roster they have. If they want to add pieces, it will be had to accomplish with Romo having nearly a $25 million cap hit. Keeping Romo would limit their options in that regard.

I am not really sure it's in the team's best interest to have an uber expensive back up on the roster (see the Jimmy Garoppolo thread for discussion). Having your highest paid player by almost $8 million (at least salary cap wise) on the bench seems like a poor business practice, as those financial resources could be better served to upgrade or bolster depth at other positions.

What money are you talking about? You're only saving $5 million. And then you're in the market for a back up quarterback.

13 minutes ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

What money are you talking about? You're only saving $5 million. And then you're in the market for a back up quarterback.

It's been said multiple times that cutting him saves them $15M this year if they designate him a post June 1 cut.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Hankmoody said:

It's been said multiple times that cutting him saves them $15M this year if they designate him a post June 1 cut.

You and your facts. 

apologies for droning on. Off with his head.  

Who are the Cowboy FA's that Dallas will want to re-sign, or what positions do they have holes in if they don't resign their own FA's? That is the big question as to why they will or will not cut Tony Romo.

14 hours ago, dhockster said:

Who are the Cowboy FA's that Dallas will want to re-sign, or what positions do they have holes in if they don't resign their own FA's? That is the big question as to why they will or will not cut Tony Romo.

Carr, Claiborne, Church..

maybe Terrance Williams

18 hours ago, STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

You and your facts. 

apologies for droning on. Off with his head.  

FTR I would actually agree with you if they weren't already in dire need of cap space.  They have been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's not sustainable, and they just had to do it again with Frederick and Smith.  At least those guys are young and healthy enough that they will never become harbinger contracts like Romo's is.  Dallas hit paydirt with getting an elite RB and franchise QB both on rookie deals.  It's time to take advantage of that and pay the debt of Romo's contract and get the money off the books. 

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Hankmoody said:

FTR I would actually agree with you if they weren't already in dire need of cap space.  They have been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's not sustainable, and they just had to do it again with Frederick and Smith.  At least those guys are young and healthy enough that they will never become harbinger contracts like Romo's is.  Dallas hit paydirt with getting an elite RB and franchise QB both on rookie deals.  It's time to take advantage of that and pay the debt of Romo's contract and get the money off the books. 

:goodposting: