What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why in the world would Jerry just release Romo? (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody said:
Romo's contract is already accounted for at $24.5M, so yes they "have space to trade him" as it would be a $19.6M hit if they did so they actually clear another $5M doing so.
You are correct, somehow got it backwards that it was $5M hit to trade him, not a relief.

Now imagine Dak Prescott did not go bonkers last year and steal Tony's job..... 

How on gods green earth would they be able to keep Romo on the roster ???????????? 

This notion that it's a foregone conclusion that Romo is getting cut or traded is stupid.  He won't be a distraction, they have paid him $100 million over his entire career,  trading him would immediately put you in the hall for another quarterback which you would still have to pay in addition to the dead money for cutting Romo. 

Someone please convince me that it makes football sense to get rid of Romo. 

If you're going to carry 90% of a guy salary you might as well take advantage of having  that commodity  at your disposal. 

Not only are you going to carry the guys diead salary, you're going to let him go to another team, likely a playoff contender who you may eventually face and this man knows everything about your entire organization intimately, inside and out!!!! 

You guys are crazy in the head.  Tony Romo can sit his ##### ### on the bench  and make tens of millions of dollars, have his third kid with his hot blonde wife and live out his days in Texas.

They would keep Romo on the roster by restructuring a bunch of their highest earners, like they just did with Smith/Frederick

While the idea of keeping him on as the world's most expensive insurance policy is a nice idea, I think in reality it would do more harm than good.  Tony would be miserable and there's only so long someone can continue to play the good teammate before the frustration leaks out and becomes a distraction.  And every single time Dak (or the team) had a bad game we'd all have to spend an entire week hearing about why Romo needs to start.  And I'm including the coaches in "we" and frankly I wouldn't put it past Jerry to be one of the mob pushing for Romo.  If Dak is the future, commit to him.  Let Tony go play somewhere else.  

They would keep Romo on the roster by restructuring a bunch of their highest earners, like they just did with Smith/Frederick

While the idea of keeping him on as the world's most expensive insurance policy is a nice idea, I think in reality it would do more harm than good.  Tony would be miserable and there's only so long someone can continue to play the good teammate before the frustration leaks out and becomes a distraction.  And every single time Dak (or the team) had a bad game we'd all have to spend an entire week hearing about why Romo needs to start.  And I'm including the coaches in "we" and frankly I wouldn't put it past Jerry to be one of the mob pushing for Romo.  If Dak is the future, commit to him.  Let Tony go play somewhere else.  
 This is hands-down the best argument I've heard for getting rid of him. 

Let's be real honest, Tony Romo isn't going to go to another team and win a Super Bowl. Outside of Peyton Manning these things rarely ever happen. 

The best thing for him would be to suck it up, sit on the bench for two more years and collect a lot of cash.  

He can retire a Cowboys and walk off into the sunset as Danny White 2.0. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends if they are happy with the roster they have. If they want to add pieces, it will be had to accomplish with Romo having nearly a $25 million cap hit. Keeping Romo would limit their options in that regard.

I am not really sure it's in the team's best interest to have an uber expensive back up on the roster (see the Jimmy Garoppolo thread for discussion). Having your highest paid player by almost $8 million (at least salary cap wise) on the bench seems like a poor business practice, as those financial resources could be better served to upgrade or bolster depth at other positions.

It depends if they are happy with the roster they have. If they want to add pieces, it will be had to accomplish with Romo having nearly a $25 million cap hit. Keeping Romo would limit their options in that regard.

I am not really sure it's in the team's best interest to have an uber expensive back up on the roster (see the Jimmy Garoppolo thread for discussion). Having your highest paid player by almost $8 million (at least salary cap wise) on the bench seems like a poor business practice, as those financial resources could be better served to upgrade or bolster depth at other positions.
What money are you talking about? You're only saving $5 million. And then you're in the market for a back up quarterback.

Who are the Cowboy FA's that Dallas will want to re-sign, or what positions do they have holes in if they don't resign their own FA's? That is the big question as to why they will or will not cut Tony Romo.

Who are the Cowboy FA's that Dallas will want to re-sign, or what positions do they have holes in if they don't resign their own FA's? That is the big question as to why they will or will not cut Tony Romo.
Carr, Claiborne, Church..

maybe Terrance Williams

You and your facts. 

apologies for droning on. Off with his head.  
FTR I would actually agree with you if they weren't already in dire need of cap space.  They have been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's not sustainable, and they just had to do it again with Frederick and Smith.  At least those guys are young and healthy enough that they will never become harbinger contracts like Romo's is.  Dallas hit paydirt with getting an elite RB and franchise QB both on rookie deals.  It's time to take advantage of that and pay the debt of Romo's contract and get the money off the books. 

FTR I would actually agree with you if they weren't already in dire need of cap space.  They have been kicking the can down the road for years now, it's not sustainable, and they just had to do it again with Frederick and Smith.  At least those guys are young and healthy enough that they will never become harbinger contracts like Romo's is.  Dallas hit paydirt with getting an elite RB and franchise QB both on rookie deals.  It's time to take advantage of that and pay the debt of Romo's contract and get the money off the books. 
:goodposting:

so Jerry came to his senses and realized he might as well kick the tires on seeing if anybody will offer him something.....great move

since he hasn't released him yet, there really isn't any hurry now and really no point in doing so until June....

he also can wait and hold through the draft to see if that produces anything.....

Denver and Houston playing a game of chicken but at some point one of them will bite...

Tony could help trade matters by restructuring but he has very little motivation to do so.....this could take a while

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread