What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (4 Viewers)

Been saying it...when he first went out. They will probably hold him until after the bye. Hamstring injuries always linger longer than they should. Im holding as long as he doesnt mess up any rostering plans for other pieces. Not thrilled: He missed most of preseason. Balled in one game. Out again. Its not a lock hes a second half stud, but ill hold

Mularkey sounds like a clown. Did he not learn his lesson the first time? It would be idiotic to trot him out there at anything less than 100% (again) a week before their bye, especially since they're playing the Browns.

Couldn't help but to imagine Corey Davis eating for the Titans last night on MNF.  Can't wait to start getting some full practice reports, even if it is after the bye.  But man I wish I could have used him vs Mia, Ind, Cle.

Note article is from last week and mirrors what Bri said above..

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/10/12/titans-colts-corey-davis-mike-mularkey/756268001/

Corey Davis will miss a fourth consecutive game with a hamstring injury when the Titans face the Colts on “Monday Night Football” at Nissan Stadium.

But if the rookie wide receiver is able to play on Oct. 22 at Cleveland, he’s going to play, rather than being held out through the Week 8 bye.

“I’m pretty sure that’s what it’s going to be for (safety Johnathan) Cyprien,” who will miss a fifth consecutive game with a hamstring injury, Titans coach Mike Mularkey said. “I can’t say that about Corey, because we could use his help. When he’s healthy, we’re going to get him in there. We’re not going to – the extra week would be great, but if he’s healthy, we’re going to go with him.”

Davis, the fifth overall pick in the draft, has seven catches for 73 yards in two games this season.

The 6-3, 209-pound receiver missed the entire preseason with a hamstring injury and aggravated the injury during a Week 2 victory at Jacksonville.

Davis set an FBS record with 5,285 career receiving yards at Western Michigan, and is second in NCAA history with 52 career touchdowns. He caught 97 passes for 1,500 yards and 19 touchdowns last season.

Davis’ absence has hindered the Titans’ passing game, which is averaging 183.8 yards per game and ranks 27th out of 32 teams.

“I think (Davis) would help us in a lot of areas,” Mularkey said. “In all of our downs, obviously third down, it would help. We definitely, it would help us. Every phase of throwing the football, it would help.”

Sammy Watkins got dropped in a 14-team, 0.5 PPR league. Could have picked him up but it would have had to be for Corey. I stood pat. I think he has a higher upside.

That determination comes earlier and earlier in the week. Not good
they must have just decided to sit him with the bye the following week. He has certainly improved and been on the sideline working out. National reporters said he was close too; not just local ones. Mularkey said last week that he would play if he could, they needed him. It's possible he said that so Davis still works hard? Changed his mind? IDK but there were a real good # of reporters that said he looked good in sideline work and is close.

The source was Fantasy Labs, a DFS site.   But they didn't list a link.  Did the coach say that he's out?

Last edited by a moderator:
This which sourced titansonline.com

ETA: I couldn’t find any story referencing this news, must have been in the presser today?

Last edited by a moderator:
The presser's are 3pm every day but Tuesday on a normal week. Today was listed as 3:15 to 4pm but was at 4. I always come here and post if there's anything. I usually type Mularkey said- I didn't. It's fine

Fantasy Labs isn't a source. They're like FBGs (outside of Lammey) just repeating news from other sites. Wyatt, Glennon, McCormick, PK, Amie, sometimes Wolf, sometimes Dave, rarely Teresa, and there's a new chick Ariel? Anna? I forget. She's clever and witty right back at the guys

So, he's "expecting" to play in week 9. I rolled the dice and dropped him for TE coverage next week as I can't afford a 0. Another DNP and a bye means I should be able to get him back easily but it's starting to feel like a lost season at this point.

I am not writing off this season. If he is at full health coming off the bye week this guy has already shown he can hit the ground running like he did in week 1 with very limited preseason preparation. I plan on sitting him his first week back, seeing his usage and snap counts but am optimistic he becomes a startable piece soon thereafter.

Let's go.

Titans WR Corey Davis (hamstring) is expected to resume practicing next Monday.

Davis hasn't played since Week 2, but ESPN's Cameron Wolfe believes he has a good shot at returning for Week 9 against the Ravens. The Titans haven't been getting much behind Rishard Matthews at receiver. Davis would provide some badly needed play-making ability.

Bri can speak to this way better than me but just going off game reports and the like, this team could really use a playmaker on the outside.  I guess I would question his role more if Taywan Taylor or Eric Decker were going off.  But when Eric Decker puts up a goose egg against Cleveland..

Maybe just wishful thinking but it seems like this team has a Corey Davis sized/shaped hole right now. 

Let's go.

Corey Davis reminds me of a certain WR that came out in '14 that had, if memory serves, hamstring injuries for the first 2-3 weeks of the year as well.  Then all of a sudden he blew up and is now known as Odell Beckham Jr.  The situation is oddly familiar, the only difference is Davis has been out longer.  
I feel like they rushed it. Game one he played well, had a lot of targets and was obviously a big part of their offense. Im not panicking. Im hoping for a nice back half and playoff stretch for FF.

Annoying how this guy was the model of consistency in college, yet the day he turns pro has a lingering hamstring problem. #### happens though. Fingers crossed for no setbacks and we can enjoy this guy's talent

maf005 said:
Annoying how this guy was the model of consistency in college, yet the day he turns pro has a lingering hamstring problem. #### happens though. Fingers crossed for no setbacks and we can enjoy this guy's talent
A lot of rookies have this happen and I think it has to do with two things- no longer having a trainer to keep them in shape all the time and 22(ish) year old eating for the first time. Poor diet and poor stretching are the two largest common factors in hammy injuries. I could see just about any 22 year old blowing those off. 

That said, he had ankle surgery and didn't run at the combine. The Titans took very very good care of him as there were plenty of pics of him with the trainer. While it could always be the diet (Nashville BBQ food is well regarded) it's probably just bad luck. 

One thing I think people forgot is neither he nor Williams are expected to be 100% in 2017. Maybe late 2017 with his ankle, but not week one. What we saw early was impressive and makes my jaw drop for what he'll play like at 100%. Williams' back set him back training too

Buck Bradcanon said:
Bri can speak to this way better than me but just going off game reports and the like, this team could really use a playmaker on the outside.  I guess I would question his role more if Taywan Taylor or Eric Decker were going off.  But when Eric Decker puts up a goose egg against Cleveland..

Maybe just wishful thinking but it seems like this team has a Corey Davis sized/shaped hole right now. 

Let's go.
Mularkey's 3 TE offense got a new wrinkle this year. In week two we saw it (some)and I figuratively smashed my tv screen. It showed up yesterday too. Two tight ends and then just off them where the H back would be, two WRs. It's a super tight formation that I have seen in high school a zillion times. It has no business being used in the NFL except for goalline offenses.

Davis IS bigger and stronger than any DB and Decker is pretty sizable himself, but that is a flat out dopey way to use that advantage.

When the Titans play a more normal offense, they have too many weapons for most defenses to cover. They hung with the Raiders, beat the Jags (one of top Ds in football) and beat the Hawks. They had about 400 yards off offense each week. 

Mularkey knew facing Watt and Clowney was going to be a tough grudge match division game so he pulled everyone in and used his 3 TE offense and some of this HS crud. They got killed. Cassel...idk why....used 3 TE offense, then again. Facing another defeat, he opened it up for Mariota late last week and he was excellent using all his weapons. This week they went back to the three 2-TE junk and HS offense.

Davis isn't any good (because no one is) lining up as an H-back. He's a fantastic WR when he lines up as one. 

If Mularkey does not use all the weapons JRob drafted, I'm sure he'll be fired. The bye week review will obviously show what worked and didn't, so he had better do it. They are one of the deepest teams in football at skill positions. He can't render that useless by running a high school offense

Mularkey's 3 TE offense got a new wrinkle this year. In week two we saw it (some)and I figuratively smashed my tv screen. It showed up yesterday too. Two tight ends and then just off them where the H back would be, two WRs. It's a super tight formation that I have seen in high school a zillion times. It has no business being used in the NFL except for goalline offenses.

Davis IS bigger and stronger than any DB and Decker is pretty sizable himself, but that is a flat out dopey way to use that advantage.

When the Titans play a more normal offense, they have too many weapons for most defenses to cover. They hung with the Raiders, beat the Jags (one of top Ds in football) and beat the Hawks. They had about 400 yards off offense each week. 

Mularkey knew facing Watt and Clowney was going to be a tough grudge match division game so he pulled everyone in and used his 3 TE offense and some of this HS crud. They got killed. Cassel...idk why....used 3 TE offense, then again. Facing another defeat, he opened it up for Mariota late last week and he was excellent using all his weapons. This week they went back to the three 2-TE junk and HS offense.

Davis isn't any good (because no one is) lining up as an H-back. He's a fantastic WR when he lines up as one. 

If Mularkey does not use all the weapons JRob drafted, I'm sure he'll be fired. The bye week review will obviously show what worked and didn't, so he had better do it. They are one of the deepest teams in football at skill positions. He can't render that useless by running a high school offense
I’m glad that, in my assumption, you also think Mularkey is a mediocre coach who prospered from situation last year. He isn’t going to survive middling with the talent he has.

Added him in lieu of Funchess as my 4th receiver. While I like Funchess' steady production, I'm not sure he has the same potential to blow up like Davis does, which is what I'm looking for out of my 4th receiver behind Evans/Bryant/Diggs.

What are people realistically expecting from Corey Davis the rest of the season (hoping his hamstring holds up)??
I am not crazy about the schedule other than @Ind and @SF.  But the talent and opportunity are there.  With the WR position nondescript this year, I think low end WR2 numbers are possible.

Corey Davis reminds me of a certain WR that came out in '14 that had, if memory serves, hamstring injuries for the first 2-3 weeks of the year as well.  Then all of a sudden he blew up and is now known as Odell Beckham Jr.  The situation is oddly familiar, the only difference is Davis has been out longer.  
Yes.  At the time, week 8, I had Michael Crabtree and Odell Beckham, both on bye, I dropped Beckham hoping nobody would grab him.  Nope.  Although the guy that did pick him up traded him for Bryce Brown.  The guy that finally landed Beckham won the title that year.

I just scooped up Davis from WW this week (we have short benches).  I'm certainly hoping for OBJ 2.0.

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports 14m

.@TheCDavis84 practiced for @Titans today

Jim Wyatt @jwyattsports 6m

Mularkey said @TheCDavis84 is anxious to return for @Titans. Said he’s worked hard, and his presence will be big for team

John Glennon @glennonsports 10m

Mularkey says Davis’ return could open things more for Walker

He was listed as limited, which I guess is to be expected, but it's pretty frustrating how long this has lingered...

Users who are viewing this thread