What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boy who identifies as girl competing in girl's track (1 Viewer)

Higgs

Footballguy
I guess it was just a matter of time before this impacted my world.  A local Freshman boy just ran in a girl's track meet and posted a time that would have been 2nd in the State Open last year.  The girl's track team at my son's high school is a direct competitor with this school and it could very well impact their chances for a State Championship.  The Hartford Courant seems to think it's all rosy.  The girl's at my son's school, who have been training like heck for this for 4 years, aren't so rosy about it, though they'd never say anything publicly.  http://www.courant.com/sports/high-schools/hc-hs-cromwell-track-andraya-yearwood-0407-20170406-story.html

Cromwell High School freshman Andraya Yearwood finally ran the race she had been dreaming of running, and not because she had a personal best time.

Andraya is a transgender woman who was running for the girls' track team on Wednesday, racing other female athletes from Portland and Old Saybrook. After telling her father, Rahsaan Yearwood, and mother, Ngozi Nnaji, in middle school that she identified as a female, Andraya, 15, was getting the chance she wanted.

With family, friends and teammates cheering her on at her first high school track meet, Andraya won the girls 100- and 200-meter dashes, and helped her 4x100-meter relay team take second place. She ran 11.99 seconds in the 100 and 26.34 in the 200.

"I do hope I inspire people, but not only with track," Andraya said Wednesday. "I hope it inspires people to not hold yourself back just because you're scared of it or it is your first time doing it, or because of other people's negativity.

"I'm so happy and so excited to be doing this and so thankful for all of my support."

Officials from the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, which governs sanctioned high school sports in the state, said Wednesday that they did not believe Andraya is the first transgender athlete to participate in a sanctioned sport, but the organization does not keep records.

"I definitely think she'll be an inspiration for people," said junior teammate and close friend Sophia Ehsub. "I think Andraya is very brave and has lots of guts to go out in the world where it is not always supportive and positive.

"She loves who she is and embraces it and is happy with who she is — and I think everybody should get their chance to do that."

In middle school, Andraya ran for the boys track team. But before starting at Cromwell High as a freshman, her family met with school officials. Andraya wanted to participate with other girls. The school district, which had supported Andraya's transition in middle school, determined that she was eligible to participate on the girls' team.

In the fall, she was a member of the cheerleading team.

"Once we identified that she was transgender, a weight lifted off her shoulders," her mother said. "She's been engaging in so many different things and so confident about what she is doing that she is almost a totally different person. And that's what you want to see as a parent: a child that is confident and loves herself."

Andraya's times in the 100 and the 200 are fast. A year ago, her 11.99 in the 100 would have won the Class M title and put her second at the State Open, .01 seconds behind the winning time. And Andraya ran Wednesday in cold conditions, and without starting blocks. She is expected to get faster.

"I know they'll say it is unfair and not right, but my counter to that is: Why not?" her mother said. "She is competing and practicing and giving her all and performing and excelling based on her skills. Let that be enough. Let her do that, and be proud of that."

The CIAC defers to the determination of the student and his or her local school regarding gender identification. According the CIAC handbook, it is fundamentally unjust and contrary to applicable state and federal law to preclude a student from participation on a gender specific sports team that is consistent with the public gender identity of that student.

"My response if someone says something to me is: She's running with who she should be running with," her father said. "We're born into a body. We're born into a situation. But we grow into a person we're going to be.

"I'm just so proud that she is courageous enough to stand up. If she is courageous enough to do that, how could I not be anything but supportive? How could I not do that if you're brave enough to stand up and say, 'I was born in the wrong body, and I understand there are going to negative comments that come with and yet I'm still going forward.'"

Before the meet, Old Saybrook and Portland were notified of Andraya's participation and didn't raise any issues. Andraya, who has access to the female locker room but changes privately, said she felt welcome on the track by both her teammates and opponents.

"I really felt that Old Saybrook and the other schools showed that a high school athlete is a high school athlete and we're going to support our high school athletes regardless of everything else," her father said.

Brian Calhoun, who coaches the Cromwell boys and girls track teams with Thomas Saunders, said Andraya's participation has never been an issue with the team.

"She has just been a member of the team running hard day in and day out," Calhoun said. "It has been like every other athlete. We have a girl on the team who runs pretty quickly. And I think the girls are pretty happy to have a girl on the team that runs pretty quickly. ... It is going to be a positive thing for the whole team."

In Texas and Alaska, similar stories have drawn public attention in the past 12 months. A transgender male high school wrestler in Texas had to compete in the girls tournament in February because of a state high school rule that requires athletes to compete as the gender listed on their birth certificates. He won the tournament but had said he wanted to wrestle against boys. In Alaska in June, a high school transgender female track athlete competed in the girls state championships.

On Wednesday, Andraya said she finally felt in the right place, running the right race.

"I didn't want to live my whole life hiding myself from my family and other people," she said.

Her father, a former college football player, took pictures and video, and watched from the fence bordering the track. Her mother, wearing a bright red Cromwell jacket, greeted her with hugs after each race and gave her pep talks. Her best friend, Sophia, was there to calm her down when her nerves got to be too much. And, for the first time at a track meet, Andraya sprinted toward the finish line and heard the name she chose for herself being cheered by the community that has embraced her and support of her.

"It was heartwarming and pretty exciting to see that other people were using [my name]," Andraya said. "This being my first meet as a transgender woman at the school, to me it felt like there was a little extra pressure to show my best and not let everyone down."

She finished the day with a smile on her face, proud of where she had come from and where she was headed. Moving forward, Andraya will start the long process toward sex reassignment surgery. She will next begin by taking puberty blockers and, later, hormone blockers.

"[Wednesday] is just one example of someone choosing their path and finding a way," her father said. "I think if other folks in other situations see this story [they might] say my choice may not be a popular one, but it is my choice, and it is the one I want to live with."

I'm not sure we can take this post at face value considering your gender association is listed as "Not Telling". 

Not fair to the 'born as females' this individual competes against. Having testosterone and a man's body is an unfair advantage obviously.

:lol:  I figured the folks at footballgals.com wouldn't have an issue with it.
Count me amongst those that do have an issue with it. There is a very simple reason boys and girls dont compete against each other in most sports. Funny how the left doesnt care about science when it doesnt further their cause. 

Count me amongst those that do have an issue with it. There is a very simple reason boys and girls dont compete against each other in most sports. Funny how the left doesnt care about science when it doesnt further their cause. 
Of course you know this now makes you a sexist.  And probably a racist and bigot as well.

"I know they'll say it is unfair and not right, but my counter to that is: Why not?" her mother said
Mom should probably come up with something better than "Why not?" because she's probably going to be answering the same question for as long as the kid wants to run track as a girl. The kid may be courageous, but she has big biceps and a mustache, so she better have thick skin and be prepared to take some heat. Not knowing the full story, it strikes me as selfish behavior.

You should spend more time taking care of yourself and less time complaining about every right wing talking point

Oh, and don't think all of this saw this coming. 

But @timschochetsaid, quite literally, "give them what they want."  

Nice. Give everyone lollipops and rainbows. Hell, I want a ######, too. Seems fun. 

Just don't have one.  

Mom should probably come up with something better than "Why not?" because she's probably going to be answering the same question for as long as the kid wants to run track as a girl. The kid may be courageous, but she has big biceps and a mustache, so she better have thick skin and be prepared to take some heat. Not knowing the full story, it strikes me as selfish behavior.
Are you kidding?  He/she is being embraced as a hero.  It's the kids who are ticked off who should be worried.  They'll be run out of town on a rail if they voice any of their concerns.

Where do we draw the line?

http://theconversation.com/so-what-if-some-female-olympians-have-high-testosterone-62935

Polish sprinter Ewa Klobukowska, for instance, was summarily dismissed from sport in 1967 because she had “one chromosome too many.” The IAAF nullified all of her victories, struck her name from the record books, and rescinded her medals, including the gold and bronze from the 1964 Olympics, all because of a naturally occurring condition that probably had little bearing on her success.

At 21 years old, her athletic career was over. “It’s a dirty and stupid thing to do to me,” she said at the time. “I know what I am and how I feel.”

Then there are women with XY chromosomes, such as Spanish hurdler María José Martínez-Patiño. She successfully challenged her 1985 disqualification on the grounds that she also has androgen insensitivity syndrome, a condition in which her body cannot respond to testosterone, either natural or synthetic.

Yes, lets ruin sports for thousands of girls so a tiny percentage can do what they "feel".  
Aside from the sports consideration, your putting "feel" in quotes like that shows you don't have a true understanding of what it's like for transgender people.  You (and others) should watch this to get a little glimpse into what it's like:

Misfit

To put some perspective on this, as well, you should understand that this affects more than 0.5% of the population.  In the US, that's almost 2M people.  Just because awareness of it isn't of the levels of where it is for other minorities, the time for that to change is coming. 

The sports issue will have to be addressed for sure, but let's not blame the students in this situation either.

This is an issue I really don't care much about.  Seems someone is getting shafted either way which sucks.  Maybe we should just remove all gender definitions and let everyone compete together?

We don't let males juice with testosterone or any anabolic steroids, why would we let a "female" who has #### and produces testosterone compete against females? It's an unfair advantage.

- chicks oughtta be doubly pissed that the 'gender switch to female' folks get to skip the whole menstruation thing   :shrug:

You should spend more time taking care of yourself and less time complaining about every right wing talking point
??? The girls at my son's high school have been "taking care of themselves" for 4 years now - training year round.  This directly impacts their world.  The relay team had a shot at Nationals - a once in a lifetime opportunity.  That is most likely in jeopardy now.  Because a boy is running girl's track.

Not fair to the 'born as females' this individual competes against. Having testosterone and a man's body is an unfair advantage obviously.
It's more than not fair.  It's not even a competition anymore.  There's a reason women's and men's sports are divided.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just did a thread on this a month or so ago. Texas high school wrestler who wanted to wrestle as a boy but wasn't allowed. There was some decent discussion there before it got stupid political. 

??? The girls at my son's high school have been "taking care of themselves" for 4 years now - training year round.  This directly impacts their world.  The relay team had a shot at Nationals - a once in a lifetime opportunity.  That is most likely in jeopardy now.  Because a boy is running girl's track.
Are you still in the hospital? Perhaps all the ####### stress about trivial things that you rant on and on about are contributing to your health concerns. Thus the - "take care of yourself"

I lean left and I think the situation is bull####. Boys compete with boys, girls compete with girls no matter what gender you have an affinity towards.

It's certainly not a horror, but it's certainly worth debate.  
Having seen how hard these kids work, it is most definitely a horror for them.  The #1 runner at my son's school ran 400 miles last summer.  They live and breath this stuff.

Having seen how hard these kids work, it is most definitely a horror for them.  The #1 runner at my son's school ran 400 miles last summer.  They live and breath this stuff.
It isnt Andraya's fault your runner doesnt have a ####. 

I lean left and I think the situation is bull####. Boys compete with boys, girls compete with girls no matter what gender you have an affinity towards.
Ditto. I'm a Democrat and this is something I have an issue with as well. As I said before I don't know what the correct answer is but I do think there's an issue here that is negatively impacting the young girls who are competing. The playing field should be level at this stage of athletics and it clearly isn't in this case. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, lets ruin sports for thousands of girls so a tiny percentage can do what they "feel".  
How are you ruining sports for thousands of girls by making them compete?

by having separate, but equal, you are effectively telling thousands of girls they aren't good enough...

How are you ruining sports for thousands of girls by making them compete?

by having separate, but equal, you are effectively telling thousands of girls they aren't good enough...
This is just a moronic statement and doesnt deserve a serious answer. 

Users who are viewing this thread