What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Curtis Samuel, BUF (1 Viewer)

14.3 in PPR in a game where Newton was way off on a lot of his throws, including one that should have been a Samuel's TD on the last play.

See McCaffrey's statline.  Selling, IMO.
Play calling was atrocious, execution was atrocious, Cam was bad. TB took CMC out of the running game and forced Cam to beat them, which worked out.

My point is Samuel had a real nice game that should have been much better, no fault of his. Same with DJ Moore.Who knows if Cam is the QB ion a year or two or there is a better option slinging the ball.

Bottom line is Samuel should not be a drop

I've seen a lot of Panthers games, this is among the worst I've seen in terms of Cam and the play-calling too. Tampa Run D is legit.

I'm fine with CMC and Samuel on my teams.
After the second week in a row of seeing it, I’m definitely believing it. Cam looks horrendous. 

He and Godwin really impressed me tonight. It's a shame that both of them are playing with such wildly inconsistent QB's. 

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-13 targets for 91 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

After a disappointing Week 1 where he drew only four targets, Samuel's 13 looks were just one behind team-leader D.J. Moore. A number of Samuel's targets were of the "deep" variety, though Cam Newton was having trouble delivering accurate passes. The duo did nearly hook up for a 75-yard touchdown in the first quarter, but a slight lack of air rendered it "just" a 44-yard reception. That was disappointing, but it was still an encouraging night for those who bought the summer breakout hype. Samuel was a Week 3 matchup he can work with in the Cardinals' sieve-like defense.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:54 AM ET

I've seen a lot of Panthers games, this is among the worst I've seen in terms of Cam and the play-calling too. Tampa Run D is legit.

I'm fine with CMC and Samuel on my teams.
The TB D looks legit all over or it may be that the Carolina Oline is really bad.  CMC had no room to run and Cam was pressured on just about every drop back.  I'm holding Samuels even though there are some interesting WRs on the wire such as Metcalf and AJ Brown.  Who is Cams backup?   Any chance Carolina makes a switch in a few weeks if Cam continues to miss the broad side of a barn?   

Play calling was atrocious, execution was atrocious, Cam was bad. TB took CMC out of the running game and forced Cam to beat them, which worked out.

My point is Samuel had a real nice game that should have been much better, no fault of his. Same with DJ Moore.Who knows if Cam is the QB ion a year or two or there is a better option slinging the ball.

Bottom line is Samuel should not be a drop
That depends on the league. In redrafts, unless the Panthers make a change at QB (or Cam gets miracuosly healthy) the off target throws are going to continue.

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-13 targets for 91 yards in the Panthers' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

After a disappointing Week 1 where he drew only four targets, Samuel's 13 looks were just one behind team-leader D.J. Moore. A number of Samuel's targets were of the "deep" variety, though Cam Newton was having trouble delivering accurate passes. The duo did nearly hook up for a 75-yard touchdown in the first quarter, but a slight lack of air rendered it "just" a 44-yard reception. That was disappointing, but it was still an encouraging night for those who bought the summer breakout hype. Samuel was a Week 3 matchup he can work with in the Cardinals' sieve-like defense.

Sep 13, 2019, 12:54 AM ET
13 targets is huge. I will likely sell Samuel after this week if I can get decent value. The OL protections theoretically can be fixed. The playcalling can improve. But Cam does not look good at all. He shows no pocket presence and used to be elusive and hard to bring down. He goes down as soon as he is touched it seems and his passes are just not accurate. I think best case scenario would be hoping for a sliver of the improvement Andrew Luck showed last year. Luck got off to a slow start, people said he was washed up but finished with a great year. It's still only 2 games, but I am concerned about Cam.

Cam is not right physically.  I believe it is his foot injury not allowing him to be the explosive runner that opens up the rest of his game.  His throwing is not great (never has been great) but a foot injury can affect that as well.   Until he is right physically there will be issues. 

Last week Samuel worked as the #1 WR, even with a completely healthy DJ Moore. This season he has secured along with McCaffery the largest target share on the team at 23.3%. He didn't do much last week, just 3 catches on 7 targets for 32 yards. He's going to have another tougher matchup this week against JAX.

I'm hoping he can have a breakout very soon to secure that top WR spot. If he has a couple meh weeks at #1 they could go back to Moore.

Last week Samuel worked as the #1 WR, even with a completely healthy DJ Moore. This season he has secured along with McCaffery the largest target share on the team at 23.3%. He didn't do much last week, just 3 catches on 7 targets for 32 yards. He's going to have another tougher matchup this week against JAX.

I'm hoping he can have a breakout very soon to secure that top WR spot. If he has a couple meh weeks at #1 they could go back to Moore.
Feels like Moore was more of a Newton guy. Since Allen has come in, Moore has been an afterthought, with 7 targets in 2 games, compared to 7 per week for Samuel. I think Samuel is the pretty clear #1 WR there, with the caveat, that everything in that offense runs through CMC first.

Samuel is near the top of the air yards list, as well as the average depth of target list. He's basically NFC Will Fuller, the huge game is coming, just a matter of when.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a different thread - for some reason - a Samuel guy and i disagreed on him.  He stated Samuel's value goes up with Allen at QB.

And I think he was right.  He is trending towards the lead WR on the team.

Curtis Samuel caught 4-of-6 targets for 70 yards and a touchdown in Week 6 against the Bucs.

It's a nice rebound game for Samuel, who had been held under 40 yards the last two weeks. Samuel got open in the red-zone for an eight-yard touchdown - his first since Week 3. The Panthers aren't a high volume passing team, but Samuel has started to develop a better rapport with Kyle Allen. Samuel will be a FLEX play for a post-bye matchup with the 49ers in Week 8.

Oct 13, 2019, 1:48 PM ET

Thoughts for this week?  SF has been tough but this will be one the tougher offenses to  match up with.

Personally not sure - thinking Dallas Goedert over him at flex.

Thoughts for this week?  SF has been tough but this will be one the tougher offenses to  match up with.

Personally not sure - thinking Dallas Goedert over him at flex.
Cooper-Bye

Kupp-WR1

Golden Tate-WR2

Kenny Stills-WR3

Corey Davis-Flex

Curtis Samuel-Bench, Mel Gordon-Bench(likely)

Not sure that helps you but I'm trying to give some perspective that unless you have to I would not roll him out there. Low scoring football game IMO. Other options than Goedert? WW?

Curtis Samuel caught 4-of-11 targets for 46 yards in the Panthers' Week 8 loss to the 49ers.

Samuel was Kyle Allen's most-targeted receiver. The talented third-year WR got wide open for what could’ve been a 21-yard touchdown in the first half, but it wasn’t meant to be. The entire Panthers offense largely couldn’t get anything going with the obvious exception being Christian McCaffrey. The good news is that Samuel and company have a good shot at rebounding in Week 9 against the Titans, whether Cam Newton (foot) is back under center or not.

Oct 27, 2019, 7:26 PM ET

Curtis Samuel (shoulder) was sidelined for Wednesday's practice.

Coach Ron Rivera said Samuel hurt his shoulder when he laid out trying to make a catch against the Niners Sunday. D.J. Moore would receive a slight upgrade if Samuel's unable to give it a go throughout the week. His participation prior to Sunday's game against the Titans will be worth monitoring.

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Oct 30, 2019, 2:51 PM ET

Curtis Samuel (questionable, shoulder) is expected to play Week 9 against the Titans.

Samuel only practiced once this week though it appears those absences were more maintenance-related than anything. Among the league leaders in air yards, Samuel will continue to work opposite D.J. Moore with Jarius Wright handling slot responsibilities for Carolina.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 3, 2019, 8:16 AM ET

He's gotta produce more on his targets or he will ultimately see less of them or he simply will be an under performer, either way those are not good long term. 

Curtis Samuel caught 3-of-6 targets for 64 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 9 win over the Titans, adding a 10-yard rush.

Samuel's score was a leaping 12-yarder in the end zone after Kyle Allen took a huge hit to deliver it. The touchdown was just his third of 2019, though two of those have come in the past three games. Averaging a modest four catches, Samuel hasn't displayed a ceiling with limited backup QB Allen. His floor does keep him in the WR3 mix, while it would still seem to be only a matter of time before he hits a big play or two. The Packers are on tap for Week 10.

Nov 3, 2019, 5:43 PM ET

Curtis Samuel (hamstring) didn't practice on Wednesday.

Samuel's recently dealt with a significant shoulder injury but has yet to miss a game. This is only concerning since it's a new injury for him to fight through at practice throughout the week. Considered 'probable' against the Titans despite being shutdown for last Friday's practice, Samuel still went out and spiked 3/64/1 receiving with ease. He's not expected to miss Week 10.

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter

Nov 6, 2019, 2:51 PM ET

Curtis Samuel caught 4-of-8 targets for 35 yards and one touchdown in the Panthers' Week 10 loss to the Packers.

Samuel got the scoring started with a two-yard touchdown grab in the first quarter. He has now scored in three of the last four games and has seen at least six targets in every game since Week 1. Samuel will be a fine WR3 option next week at home against the Falcons.

Curtis Samuel rushed four times for 40 yards in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Saints.

He added one small catch for nine yards, but Samuel to draw a deep defensive pass interference in the endzone on an underthrown vertical shot. Air yards, boosted. Samuel made the largest impact on jet sweeps, taking handoffs across the formation out of the backfield and turning up the field. As a receiver his primary job seems to be to clear out underneath options like Greg Olsen and Christian McCaffrey. Samuel is not startable with Kyle Allen at quarterback.
... ok.

Curtis Samuel caught 2-of-4 targets for 25 yards in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Falcons.

Samuel's matchup couldn't have been better. He was playing in a dome against a bad defense with game script on his side, but Samuel still came up empty. It's been a season of some good but mostly bad, although that's not completely his fault. Samuel is simply a bad fit with Kyle Allen, who can't throw deep with any level of consistency. Treat Samuel as a WR4 dart throw against the Seahawks next week.

Curtis Samuel (questionable, knee) is expected to play Week 16 against the Colts.

Samuel's status appeared to be in serious jeopardy after sitting out Friday's end-of-week session, but it looks like he'll give this one a go. Interim coach Perry Fewell has gone out of his way to manufacture touches for Samuel, affording his third-year receiver 11 targets and a combined seven rushing attempts over the past two weeks. He's been a frequent end-zone visitor with seven touchdowns this year, though the risk attached to rookie Will Grier (who is making his NFL debut) makes Samuel a tough-sell as a WR4. Fantasy owners competing in the finals likely have better options at their disposal.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 22, 2019, 8:19 AM ET

Curtis Samuel caught 2-of-5 targets for 17 yards in Carolina's Week 16 loss to the Colts.

Samuel wasn't even able to leverage D.J. Moore's (concussion) absence into fruitful production. Third-round rookie Will Grier targeted Samuel 20-plus yards downfield on blanketed coverage with his second throw, and did notably hit him in stride for a 12-yard gain in the second half, but the latter obviously isn't a receiver worth chasing outside of FLEX consideration as long as Grier remains under center. He can be avoided for more trustworthy options with higher (or perhaps more efficient) usage in Week 17.

So, assuming there is any traction to the rumors of the Panthers trying to move him, what spots would you see as ideal?

Having a hard time thinking of great fantasy fits for him.

Philly is maybe the most likely fit for fantasy and real life football.

Az maybe to be the will fuller role to Hop?

LV maybe, havent checked, but i feel like Carrs deep throw number were ok, might be way off tho (* I checked, they were not great)

Jets have a need assuming they dont fill this role in the draft, hate it for FF tho

Other thoughts?

So, assuming there is any traction to the rumors of the Panthers trying to move him, what spots would you see as ideal?

Having a hard time thinking of great fantasy fits for him.

Philly is maybe the most likely fit for fantasy and real life football.

Az maybe to be the will fuller role to Hop?

LV maybe, havent checked, but i feel like Carrs deep throw number were ok, might be way off tho

Jets have a need assuming they dont fill this role in the draft, hate it for FF tho

Other thoughts?
I don’t think they move him unless they get blown away with an offer. He’s on a cheap rookie contract and provides value to the team even if the numbers don’t fully bear it out.

IF he was being shopped (I doubt it) Redskins and Rivera are an obvious choice. They have a need, they have cap room, and Ron drafted him. 

pantherclub said:
What the hell would samuel even be worth?  3rd? 
If I were in the market for a WR I'd much rather draft one in the third(this year at least) and pay him on his rookie contract for the next several years than take on Samuel in a contract year. When you consider he was taken early in the 2nd round he has been a bit of a disappointment overall.

On the other hand he'll only turn 24 before the season begins and he has been trending up in overall production. If the new coaching staff wasn't interested in keeping him around AND Samuel was willing to sign a reasonable extension in reaction to getting pushed down the depth chart I could see making a deal for him but it wouldn't be for a 3rd rounder.

think he will find a way onto a ton of my teams next year at his price.....which may actually be getting lower....even with the Anderson signing, I like Samuel's game and the way I see it fitting with Bridgewater.....seems like most see the fantasy arrow pointing down in CAR, but I like their weapons and think Teddy has the skill set to take advantage....feel there were a lot of fantasy points left on the field last year for Samuel that Teddy might be able to activate....although I would have felt better with no Anderson....(although I think Anderson is a little overrated overall as a WR and capitalized on a slim FA WR market as far as his value this offseason)...

think he will find a way onto a ton of my teams next year at his price.....which may actually be getting lower....even with the Anderson signing, I like Samuel's game and the way I see it fitting with Bridgewater.....seems like most see the fantasy arrow pointing down in CAR, but I like their weapons and think Teddy has the skill set to take advantage....feel there were a lot of fantasy points left on the field last year for Samuel that Teddy might be able to activate....although I would have felt better with no Anderson....(although I think Anderson is a little overrated overall as a WR and capitalized on a slim FA WR market as far as his value this offseason)...
But you don't spend 10 million on a receiver to have him sit on the bench behind a player like Samuel. Samuel is going to be the third WR in that offense so unless he gets traded I don't see how he can be very valuable. Even Anderson as the second WR and third option behind McCaffrey and DJ is not probably going to get enough targets to be worth more than a WR4 in fantasy IMO.

But you don't spend 10 million on a receiver to have him sit on the bench behind a player like Samuel. Samuel is going to be the third WR in that offense so unless he gets traded I don't see how he can be very valuable. Even Anderson as the second WR and third option behind McCaffrey and DJ is not probably going to get enough targets to be worth more than a WR4 in fantasy IMO.
Fair enough....I’m not sure who is X, Y,  and Z, etc......I guess in my mind whoever mans the slot with Teddy will be ok....and I’m thinking that may be Samuel...?

I'm more interested in where he might end up after this year. Free agency approaching. Just have to bide our time here I think.

With this and next years' draft classes, do you think there will be a lot opportunity? 
Good question - there's so much WR talent flooding in to the league now that it's impacting (negatively) WR fantasy value. I just think he's young, has draft capital, has shown something on the field already...there might be a handful of teams out there who would feature him more than the Panthers have to date. 

Having said that, I do think the new coaching staff has the potential to provide a real boost to this offense and it's possible that the outlook for Samuel even this season is better than it appears. Impossible to tell at this stage. 

Users who are viewing this thread