What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Guns N' Roses a top 10 US band all-time? (1 Viewer)

Yes or No

• Yes

Votes: 47 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 109 66.1%
  • Shuked

Votes: 9 5.5%

• Total voters

Joe T

Footballguy
A GB and I were discussing this.  He claims GnR is not a top 10 US band because their run was so short lived.

Thoughts?

No. 

Haven't done the math, but can't image we won't find ten "better" bands... you want to go top ten hard rock bands? Maybe 

Yes. Not my era at all, but Welcome to the Jungle is the greatest rock song of all time and gets em in all by itself, whatever else.

Can't deny their peak when it comes to sales and popularity. They were undeniably the biggest band on the planet for a good stretch of time and that helps their case for top 10 consideration. 

For me, it was one great album followed by a never ending stream of dreck. 

Can't deny their peak when it comes to sales and popularity. They were undeniably the biggest band on the planet for a good stretch of time and that helps their case for top 10 consideration. 
:no:  

No way were they bigger and/or more popular than U2, who was at their biggest in the late 80s and early 90s. U2 was selling out stadiums alone everywhere then.  Granted, these are two different animals - U2 and GNR are two very different rock bands - but there is no way you can say that GNR was undeniably bigger than U2.  

No way were they bigger and/or more popular than U2, who was at their biggest in the late 80s and early 90s. U2 was selling out stadiums alone everywhere then.  Granted, these are two different animals - U2 and GNR are two very different rock bands - but there is no way you can say that GNR was undeniably bigger than U2.  
You're thinking about the white part of the globe. I'd call them about even in American / Europe, but there's no way U2 was more popular throughout Latin American than GnR was. Those countries love their metal.

U2 might have been bigger but big and sucky just means you are incredibly sucky 

You're thinking about the white part of the globe. I'd call them about even in American / Europe, but there's no way U2 was more popular throughout Latin American than GnR was. Those countries love their metal.
I thought you said "on the planet"?  Now you are isolating it to Latin America? :P

Besides, is GNR metal?  I've always thought of them as a harder Aerosmith: that kind of trashy hard rock that girls love as much as guys. 

:lmao:   at the ####### Ramones at #4 and Booker T/MGs just two spots ahead of Mountain. My God........

Back to the original poll question, I don't think GNR was a Top 10 US band, but they were really good.

To me, they barely make it into the top 5 when it comes to metal / hard rock bands, so it's hard to throw them in top 10 overall.

In no particular order, Id put these bands ahead of them. 

Metallica

VH

Motley Crue 

Aerosmith (who I hate, but can't deny their sucksess)

To me, they barely make it into the top 5 when it comes to metal / hard rock bands, so it's hard to throw them in top 10 overall.

Metallica

VH

Motley Crue 

Crue over GnR?  Cmon man!

Metallica

VH

Motley Crue 

The Allmans & Skynyrd were better, could "rock" just as hard, and were miles more versatile than any of those guys, IMO.  

My initial vote was yes but this list has them 13 (has Tool at 68 so you know it's a ####ty list)

http://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-american-rock-bands

I'd bump the Eagles and Van Halen out because they suck .  Id probably bump them ahead of Skynyrd too

So I guess they get in but closer than I thought 
From that list I'd put GnR ahead of petty, aersosmith and the doors.

aerosmith and the doors are among the two most overrated bands ever.  

No, not even close. A couple of songs that were monster during the 90's do not make a top 10 US band of all time. Especially with the screeching weasel on vocals.

You are dismissing the fact that the list in question only ranks Rock bands--and the Op's question only asked if G&R are a top 10 US band.    One could easily argue that NWA was better than G&R in regards to talent and the way they transformed the culture of music.  Also--while I'm not a fan of teeny bopper music--New Kids on the Block, Backstreet boys, and N'sync could be arguable because while their music was terrible--their album sales and popularity cannot be debated. 

My initial vote was yes but this list has them 13 (has Tool at 68 so you know it's a ####ty list)

http://m.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/greatest-american-rock-bands

I'd bump the Eagles and Van Halen out because they suck .  Id probably bump them ahead of Skynyrd too

So I guess they get in but closer than I thought 
That list seems to be artists overall and may be even worse than the one that David posted. They have Chuck Berry at #86 (a crime in and of itself) behind the B-52s. I think I'm gonna  :X

You are dismissing the fact that the list in question only ranks Rock bands--and the Op's question only asked if G&R are a top 10 US band.    One could easily argue that NWA was better than G&R in regards to talent and the way they transformed the culture of music.  Also--while I'm not a fan of teeny bopper music--New Kids on the Block, Backstreet boys, and N'sync could be arguable because while their music was terrible--their album sales and popularity cannot be debated. 
Define, por favor

I assumed we were talking rock bands...are we not?

The Gibson top-50 list is odd. While almost all the names belong, there are some baffling omissions: Where are The Cars, Styx, and Journey? I can see the list is very heavy on "influence" (or else Nirvana stall out around #15), but still.

If they can squeeze in The Boss, Elvis, and Zappa ... they can find a place for Prince and the Revolution. Also agreed about Funkadelic.

TripItUp, we can assume acts like Fleetwood Mac and Foreigner are left off because they are multi-national.

The Gibson top-50 list is odd. While almost all the names belong, there are some baffling omissions: Where are The Cars, Styx, and Journey? I can see the list is very heavy on "influence" (or else Nirvana stall out around #15), but still.
Critics hate Styx and Journey, thus their exclusion.  The success of both is foolish to deny, but critics hate most kind of rock described as arty (or progressive). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Define, por favor
Define what?  The list is titled "greatest American rock bands".  Bands like the beastie boys, run dmc, NWA don't exist on that list--and if they are somehow on that list--they would be criminally underrated. 

Also, the biggest exclusion from this list is Blue Oyster Cult. They'd be near the top for me for American bands, although I get that while popular for a while, they were never huge like GNR, Metallica, VH, Eagles, etc. 

Critics hate Styx and Journey, thus their exclusion.  The success of both is foolish to deny, but critics hate most kind of rock described as arty (or progressive). 
It occurred to me that Journey could be excluded for having a British member at one time (Aynsley Dunbar). Same with Jefferson Starship (also Dunbar).

Never liked Petty that much - saw him in concert and I think I actually liked him less afterward. Aerosmith and the Doors were practically the soundtracks to different periods in my life and fit perfectly what I was into during those brief seasons. GnR never fit into anything I was doing - I always made a big profit off scalping their tickets so they have a special financial spot in my green heart.

For a top ten list I'd have to deliberate where to put Aerosmith and Doors but GnR wouldn't even enter the discussion.

Define "rock bands" for me. 
Why should I?  All I did was comment on what an author/publication titled their own list as being.  There are no rap bands, hip hop bands, teeny bopper bands on that list--which is crystal clear.   There is no Beastie boys on that list, no run dmc, no Boyz II Men, no n'sync, no New Kids on the Block, no Backstreet Boys--all of which are clearly US bands.  If you want to know what the author of that list defined "rock" as being--ask them--not me.  I'm not debating the definition of rock--I'm bringing up the point that the list in hand does not include many bands that could arguably be defined as being in the top of "US" bands.   Let's not disregard that the Jackson 5 could and should easily be ranked ahead of G&R--and this list doesn't even consider them. 

Never liked Petty that much - saw him in concert and I think I actually liked him less afterward. Aerosmith and the Doors were practically the soundtracks to different periods in my life and fit perfectly what I was into during those brief seasons. GnR never fit into anything I was doing - I always made a big profit off scalping their tickets so they have a special financial spot in my green heart.

For a top ten list I'd have to deliberate where to put Aerosmith and Doors but GnR wouldn't even enter the discussion.
Petty>>>>>>>>>>>GnR. Although this is comparing apples and oranges. 

A GB and I were discussing this.  He claims GnR is not a top 10 US band because their run was so short lived.

Thoughts?
Appetite is probably one of the top rock albums of all time, but no GNR is not a top 10.

Is Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers considered a "band" because if so they are top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread