What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (2 Viewers)

Matt Breida did not touch the ball in the 49ers' Super Bowl LIV loss to the Chiefs.

Breida remained highly effective on a per-touch basis in the 49ers’ run-first offense but could not rise above 1B duties even as Tevin Coleman battled injury and ineffectiveness. Breida touched the ball more than 15 times just three times, ultimately averaging 11 handles. Known as an iron man, Breida missed Weeks 11-13 with an ankle issue. Turning 25 later this month, Breida is ticketed for restricted free agency. We would imagine he will be tendered a contract, but it is hard to say for sure in the 49ers’ crowded backfield. Coach Kyle Shanahan could be ready for a radical restructuring after this year’s ever-present uncertainty.

Last edited by a moderator:
NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco doesn't consider Matt Breida a lock to make the final roster.

The 49ers tendered Breida at the second-round level this offseason — increasing his base salary to $3.3 million. Despite that, none of his money is guaranteed, and Breida was barely used down the stretch last year. The 49ers look committed to keeping Jerick McKinnon after restructuring his contract. Breida may ultimately need a strong training camp to keep his roster spot.

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Apr 5, 2020, 10:06 AM ET

The 49ers look committed to keeping Jerick McKinnon after restructuring his contract.
McKinnon only makes $900,000 a year now, IIRC. As someone who has Breida in dynasty, I wish they'd cut him now so he can find a landing spot rather than at the end of camp.

Right now the 49ers have five RBs: Mostert, Coleman, McKinnon, Breida, and Wilson. I'd guess they dress three and keep four. I'd keep checking in to see how McKinnon is holding up. Breida hit the top speed of any running back last year against the Browns, getting up to over 23 MPH on his eighty yard junket. Guy can play. 

I think Breida is on the team unless someone makes a solid offer (4th rounder).  He’s just a much better runner than Coleman.  When they signed Coleman, a lot was made of his potential in the passing games which never developed. If McKinnon is healthy, that will be his role and Breida will be the back up to Mostert.  

Too much was made of the fumbles last year. He had 2 against Atlanta (1 lost), which played a big part in them losing that game. He had another in mop up duty in the playoffs against Minnesota. That was a weird play though. Got tackled but ended up face up on a pile and defensive player was able to strip the ball since he wasn’t technically down.  4 lost fumbles in 381 carries.  5 YPC for his career and a solid receiver. 3 million pretty reasonable.  I think Coleman is let go, not Breida. 

Breidas entire issue is they cant count on him to stay healthy.  Consistently nagging injuries that cause of loss of both game time and practice reps.

Breidas entire issue is they cant count on him to stay healthy.  Consistently nagging injuries that cause of loss of both game time and practice reps.
You're right about the reps in particular. Not tons of game time. He's got trick ankles. And right pectoral/shoulder.

Mostert missed more time with a broken arm in 2018. It's funny they call Breida small. He's 5'9", 195. BMI of 28.8.

49ers re-signed RB Matt Breida to a one-year, $3.259 million contract. 

There has been chatter that Breida's 53-man roster spot may not be secure, but his second-round tender is an obviously power symbol that is not the case. Breida was lightly used down the stretch last season, and the 49ers have one of the league's most crowded backfields, but the 25-year-old has proven versatile and tough. He is also a capable chain mover. If Breida ends up an odd man out, a trade would be much more likely than his release. 

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter 

Apr 16, 2020, 6:44 PM ET

Schefter has it on Twitter, too. I'm happy with that, honestly. I like his chances to win the starting gig vs. that RB room, so it could take him out of RBBC. Maybe...

That's great news for people that roster Breida, like me. I think he can win that job, too, though he'll certainly cede work to Howard. 

He has a hard time staying on the field. I just traded him in a league for Edmonds (I have Drake). 
Nothing wrong with that move, though. They were about equal value before this. Breida should get a big uptick in value, though, because Miami has nothing at RB, really. Breida's breakaway run against Cleveland last year on Monday night was one of the top recorded MPH runs all year. They clocked him around 22 MPH. He can play. So can Edmonds. And how could you know unless you waited for after the draft, which isn't always possible. 

Nothing wrong with that move, though. They were about equal value before this. Breida should get a big uptick in value, though, because Miami has nothing at RB, really. Breida's breakaway run against Cleveland last year on Monday night was one of the top recorded MPH runs all year. They clocked him around 22 MPH. He can play. So can Edmonds. And how could you know unless you waited for after the draft, which isn't always possible. 
Agreed. At the time I figured Edmonds probably had a little more value. Now it probably goes the other way. I'm not much into cuffs, but I thoughts Edmonds looked really good last year when given a chance. He's definitely the #2 behind Drake. 

Love this as a dolphins fan, and for fantasy. I figure that Howard and Breida will be near a 50/50 split, but as the dolphins still won't be winning many games this season, my preference is Breida. The dolphins have also been pounding the OL this offseason and draft. It'll probably take some time for them to develop/gel, but that could help one of these guys really do well near the end of the season. 

Rotoworld take:

Dolphins acquired RB Matt Breida from the 49ers in exchange for the No. 153 overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Dolphins and Jaguars discussed a Leonard Fournette trade last month, but nothing came of it and Miami turned its attention to Breida. The 49ers had way too many backs on the roster and needed to unload one. Rarely ever 100% healthy, Breida plays through injuries and has averaged 5.0 yards per carry on 381 career totes since coming into the league as an UDFA out of Georgia Southern in 2017. Breida recently turned 25 and is on the hook for $2.133 million in 2020, the final year of his deal. In Miami, Breida will be the lightning to Jordan Howard's thunder after the Dolphins passed on early-round running backs this weekend.

RELATED: 

San Francisco 49ers

Apr 25, 2020, 2:27 PM ET

The more I think about this, the happier I am. I just walked into a worthy timeshare because of an afterthought to a trade that made it go for me. Miami had absolutely nothing in their backfield before this. Breida can flat out play when he's not hurt. We'll see...I bet on the player and not the situation, now it's up to the player to come through. This should remind me of something before I draft CEH 1.01 in rookie drafts. 

Bet the player. The player will tell you because the league will want him. Granted, it's a fifth, but Miami didn't stir a backfield soul in the draft with this likely in their back pocket. 

Problem with Breida is everyone is going to assume he gets replaced after 2020.  I mean he's a nice bye week filler it seems for 2020, but after that he can't be considered long term right?  If he does something in that role with Tua leading the ship, I can't imagine someone paying up for Breida.  Love the guy, love the fit, but it's not realistic to be a long term dynasty asset.  He's a guy I want in PPR leagues, already own him in 3. 

Problem with Breida is everyone is going to assume he gets replaced after 2020.  I mean he's a nice bye week filler it seems for 2020, but after that he can't be considered long term right?  If he does something in that role with Tua leading the ship, I can't imagine someone paying up for Breida.  Love the guy, love the fit, but it's not realistic to be a long term dynasty asset.  He's a guy I want in PPR leagues, already own him in 3. 
No, you're right. My own exuberance in this thread is purely as a guy who likes to root for guys he likes on Sundays while his team plays fantasy and likely loses. i don't think he's a great dynasty asset and am more pulling for a player I believe should get a chance than any real hard-boiled fantasy self-interest. If he helps win a game (fantasy WAR!) or so, all the better. Sorry, I just like the trade for him. He's no longer fully buried behind other guys that never really caught much of a break, either.

And if you were in win-now mode and rostered him, then this is a fantasy boon for the year, potentially and maybe. 

I dig it. He was one of my cut candidates to make room for my rookies, but not anymore. I'll hang and see how this goes.

The Dolphins have not engaged in contract extension negotiations with RB Matt Breida, according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

Jackson cites the uncertainty of the salary cap in 2021 as the reason why, and that other Dolphins entering the final year of their contract have also not been approached. The Dolphins spent very little at the running back position this offseason, sending a fifth-round pick for Breida, who is set to make $3.25 million, and signed Jordan Howard to a two-year contract that likely will only last one season. It is the cheapest backfield to acquire in fantasy drafts, yet seems destined for a split workload all season long.

SOURCE: Miami Herald

Jul 9, 2020, 8:45 PM ET

I didn't think they'd extend him. Really, for dynasty purposes, the hope is that he goes off a bit and you can finagle a second-round pick for him or something like that. Because he's twenty-six at the end of the year with no concrete future. The Dolphins will likely draft a running draft in next year's draft.

Matt Breida ran like a man trying to prove he belonged in the league in 2018, even though his stats show he could be a Top 10 back when healthy. He know he's tough (constantly played on sprained ankles that he'd re-sprain game after game), can catch the ball and handle a lead back role. Definitely think he's talented enough to thrive wherever he goes if he leaves Miami, but if he stays he's on my late round RB list in redraft.

Dolphins have no reason not to run him or howard into the ground this year with both on one year deals.  

They're not even likely contenders, so they're not going to hold back because of a possible playoff run. They may even be trying to protect a rookie quarterback so they could be running a lot

Both of them have their one chance at a big contract.  Both of them have flashed starting rb skills. 

I know the conventional wisdom is that this will be a committee, but one of them could be a high end rb2 if they emerge as the lead back for some or all of the season. And of the two, breida has the slightly higher upside because of his speed and receiving ability, while Howard has the higher touchdown potential. 

I wouldn't take before filling my starting lineup, but I would be happy to stash either or both in a 12 plus team league or start 2+ rb league as guys who have value even if things dont go great for them, especially if I went zero rb.  In a small league or a start 1 rb, meh. I'll chase the higher upside first and not look at these guys until after all the higher upside backup RBs are gone. 

No, you're right. My own exuberance in this thread is purely as a guy who likes to root for guys he likes on Sundays while his team plays fantasy and likely loses. i don't think he's a great dynasty asset and am more pulling for a player I believe should get a chance than any real hard-boiled fantasy self-interest. If he helps win a game (fantasy WAR!) or so, all the better. Sorry, I just like the trade for him. He's no longer fully buried behind other guys that never really caught much of a break, either.

And if you were in win-now mode and rostered him, then this is a fantasy boon for the year, potentially and maybe. 
Love it, I have the same mentality (and Breida is one of my guys too). Winning an unlikely championship led by Dion Lewis in 17 was one of my favorite moments. Lynch another one of my guys I always drafted.

Breida is the king of a weird stat. He's got the top three out of five finishes for runners in the past three years or so for runners when measuring yards before contact.

Player                        Year        Yards Before Contact Avg.

1. Phillip Lindsay    2018                    3.1

2. Aaron Jones       2018                    2.5

3. Matt Breida        2018                     2.5

4. Matt Breida        2019                     2.4

5. Matt Breida       2017                      2.3

Per PFF: Matt Breida has had the luxury of a top-five run-blocking offensive line per PFF grade since 2017, but he’s also outperformed expectations behind that group, putting up three of the top five single-season marks in the area by a running back over the past three seasons.

As for the other players, the Green Bay Packers‘ team run-blocking grade ranked just 23rd in the NFL in 2018. The Denver Broncos were the fifth-ranked team unit in 2018, but they were only 16th last season when Lindsay once again finished with high marks. Over the past three seasons, the Carolina Panthers haven’t finished higher than 19th as a team in run-blocking grade, and yet, McCaffrey stands out as one of the better running backs in the NFL in terms of finding yardage before contact on a play-by-play basis.

Yards before contact can be a running back stat — and it’s the running backs with elite speed and vision who lead the way.

I want to believe in Breida, I'm just not sure he can hold up.
I'm not sure the Miami offense is going to use him enough for him to be a big fantasy guy if he does hold up. I want him to be the guy, but feel like there's going to be a lot of complaining about Howard's workload over the season. 

I'm not sure the Miami offense is going to use him enough for him to be a big fantasy guy if he does hold up. I want him to be the guy, but feel like there's going to be a lot of complaining about Howard's workload over the season. 
This is the most likely scenario, sure, and needs to be noted. But if Breida can go outrun Howard, who knows? It's not like the staff is married to Howard. 

This is the most likely scenario, sure, and needs to be noted. But if Breida can go outrun Howard, who knows? It's not like the staff is married to Howard. 
It's true they are not married to either guy. I'm more saying it as a dolphins fan and fantasy guy who would rather see Breida playing over Howard in both scenarios. But it just feels like one of those scenarios where the plodding RB will get 250 carries for 900 yards, and we complain about Breida being underutilized all season. 

I was looking at Gailey's RB usage in the past. The most recent season was 2016, so maybe not that relevant, but he has a history of using a grinder and a pass-catching back in defined roles. Probably the closest example to 2020 Miami is 2015 NYJ with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. Ivory averaged 16.5 carries and 2.5 targets a game that year, while Powell averaged 6.4 carries and 5.7 targets per game.

I think (but am not sure) that Breida is better than Powell, but Ivory seems like about as good of a comp as you can find for Howard. So those usage stats seem like a decent starting point to me. The 2015 Jets went 10-6, so maybe with the dolphins likely to be losing more than that, the usage shifts more to the pass-catcher/ smaller back. 

Someone convince me Breida didn't just become Kenyan Drake v2.0.

(Drake was RB35 in 2017; RB21 in 2018; RB44 at the time of the trade last year).

Someone convince me Breida didn't just become Kenyan Drake v2.0.

(Drake was RB35 in 2017; RB21 in 2018; RB44 at the time of the trade last year).
Nah you are right unlike on Mixon

Breida is the biggest injury guarantee in football and this offense is going to pass a lot besides at the goal line/short yardage when Howard swoops in

Breida is talented enough to be an elite COP back somewhere but that role doesn't get fantasy relevance in every place--Miami is not one of those places

Breida is the biggest injury guarantee in football and this offense is going to pass a lot besides at the goal line/short yardage when Howard swoops in

Breida is talented enough to be an elite COP back somewhere but that role doesn't get fantasy relevance in every place--Miami is not one of those places
Breida's been hurt less than Mostert. Breida hasn't missed that many games, and when he has, it's been ankle tweaks.

If he takes care of his ankle issues, he's no less durable than many other RBs. 

Breida is an iron man.  I don't think any other player has played through more injuries than him in the past 5ish years.

Breida is an iron man.  I don't think any other player has played through more injuries than him in the past 5ish years.
I agree that he's tough as nails, it's just that his body keeps betraying him, which results in him not being a reliable fantasy option. 

Dolphins RBs Jordan Howard, Matt Breida aim to 'shock' NFL

Excerpt:

For fantasy purposes, one could see Howard, the bruiser, getting 50% of backfield touches, Breida taking 35% and the other running backs sharing the remaining 15% this season if both lead backs stay healthy and play up to expectations. The difference comes in how the Dolphins might split those touches with Howard a better fit on early downs while Breida is likely to be the third-down and passing-down back who should lead this room in receptions. Breida could even line up at receiver to get him more action in the passing game.

"Jordan Howard, his experience being in two different places and what he brings here, he's a smart guy," Studesville said. "He's been able to pick things up so far, what we're talking about, you love his size, he's got good feet for a big back, he's got good vision. I think he'll have a chance to be a physical presence for us, as well as effective in the passing game with what we're asking for. Matt Breida, obviously with his experience, his speed, you see his burst and quickness early on as soon as he touches the field."

Users who are viewing this thread