What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Matt Breida - Giants RB (1 Viewer)

In PPR leagues Cook was the #9 RB in weeks 1-4 (4 weeks) .

In PPR leagues McKinnon was the #2 RB in weeks 5-8 (4 weeks).

Minnesota then had a bye week and Murraywas incorporated into the offense, McKinnon was not used the same way the rest of the year. Even so, he finished as the #9 RB in weeks 5-16.

McKinnon has top 5 PPR potential in a Shanahan offense. SF doesn't have a big back that will steal short yardage TDs, McKinnon is bigger than Brieda and the same size as Williams. He will not be removed automatically inside the 5 yard line. Juszczyk could get some short yardage TDs, but McKinnon will also. I think Shanahan uses him like he was used in week 5-8 last year.
McKinnon got all 3 of his rushing touchdowns for the season in those first 4 weeks after the Cook injury.

49ers.com's Joe Fann expects Matt Breida to have a similar workload this season.

Undrafted out of Georgia Southern, Breida surprised with 126 rookie touches even with Carlos Hyde getting 240 carries and 59 catches. Jerick McKinnon should take on most if not all of Hyde's work, but there will still be room for Breida to see touches if he can hold off the likes of Joe Williams and Jeremy McNichols.

Source: 49ers.com 

Jul 24 - 12:37 PM

I have only one question, why was his catch rate so low last year (56%)? He caught 18 of 32 targets and I mean for someone whose main value as McKinnon's back-up supposedly comes in the passing game how come his catch rate was so poor? I'm going to have to go back and watch his targets.

How’s he looking now with new McKinnon injury?  Will it be him or Morris?   Acquired breida as a throw  in on a trade yesterday and added Morris this morning before injury.  Might have hit the jackpot. 

Yeah, I found the answer after a quick gander at his incompletions from last year - he's not even remotely a natural pass catcher. He was tied with Howard and Gordon with the 2nd most drops amongst RBs with 5. Hyde lead the league with 6 but Hyde saw 88 targets and we already know he doesn't excel at pass catching. I don't know why I hadn't noticed this before. 

As msudaisy pointed out in another thread -- and I'm taking some liberties here -- it'll probably be Shanahan hot hand theory. 

Pretty much, one would guess, but I remember the way the younger Shanahan handled running backs when they were comparable and it was "hot hand."
They aren't comparable at all. Brieda is small and can't catch. Morris is gonna beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breida can’t catch, and you’re using that to pimp Morris? I mean Morris is one of the worst in recent memory. Career high of 17 and next highest is 11. Breida will outscore him in ppr easily.
Right? Not quite sure I understand.

I think a lot of people are commenting based on who they have and not objectively. I have shares of both but doubt either will see the field. 

Breida ran under 4.4. Morris ran under 4.7 and he may be even slower now. I own both and hope one guy emerges as a stud but i'd prefer if it was breida because he stretches the defense so much more both laterally and vertically. 

I'm not sure if this Bay area sports reporter has a source within the Niners feeding him this info, but this is what Pro Football Talk has up:

Alfred Morris expected to start if Jerick McKinnon is out

If McKinnon is out, Morris is the likely starter, Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area reports.

LINK

I have shares of neither but a majority of my drafts are next week so I'm trying my best to gauge the situation.

Either way I decided to record and upload a video of what I believe were all of his drops from last year (although there is still one clip missing). Mind you this doesn't include targets in which I believe he adjusted poorly or didn't attack while in the air. 

Also the quality is kind of ####, sorry. But I think you'll still get the idea.

Breida is 5’10” & 190 lbs.  Maybe he can be a successful NFL RB getting significant carries at that height/weight, but the odds are against it.

I have shares of neither but a majority of my drafts are next week so I'm trying my best to gauge the situation.

Either way I decided to record and upload a video of what I believe were all of his drops from last year (although there is still one clip missing). Mind you this doesn't include targets in which I believe he adjusted poorly or didn't attack while in the air. 

Also the quality is kind of ####, sorry. But I think you'll still get the idea.
I disagree with the premise, as some of those passes are darts from 10 feet away.

But gave you a like for the effort, appreciate you taking the time on it.  :thumbup:

Breida is 5’10” & 190 lbs.  Maybe he can be a successful NFL RB getting significant carries at that height/weight, but the odds are against it.
He averaged 15 carries in college as RB.  McKinnon 18, but as an option QB.

He is actually VERY SIMILAR to what McKinnon already was in  his height/weight/measurables. Even went to the same college.

I’m 200 (pounds) now,” Breida said when he interjected the reporter.  And he is at 5'9". Same height and only 5 pounds off of Jerick.

He averaged 15 carries in college as RB.  McKinnon 18, but as an option QB.

He is actually VERY SIMILAR to what McKinnon already was in  his height/weight/measurables. Even went to the same college.

I’m 200 (pounds) now,” Breida said when he interjected the reporter.  And he is at 5'9". Same height and only 5 pounds off of Jerick.
College isn’t the NFL, and the Sun Belt conference definitely isn’t the NFL.  

NFL.com & 49ers.com both list him at 190.  Give him the 10 lbs if you want, he’d still be undersized for an NFL RB.  Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, but it’d be outside the norm.

It'll be interesting to know how and see what the footballguys do in filling in the new projections for Breida and Morris. So far nothing...

College isn’t the NFL, and the Sun Belt conference definitely isn’t the NFL.  

NFL.com & 49ers.com both list him at 190.  Give him the 10 lbs if you want, he’d still be undersized for an NFL RB.  Doesn’t mean he can’t do it, but it’d be outside the norm.
Him and McKinnon went to the same school. Same size.  ;)

Breida goes from splitting time with an all-purpose back to splitting time with a plodding back who can't catch anything.  Even if Breida isn't a true feature back, this absolutely increases his value a great deal in PPR formats.  Morris is almost 30 now and isn't talented enough to run away with anything, and Breida was always unlikely to be a 25 touch guy anyways.

It'll be interesting to know how and see what the footballguys do in filling in the new projections for Breida and Morris. So far nothing...
actually they did in their rest of year stuff - go to the  player page for Morris for example and you'll see updated numbers from 2 of the 4 FBGs.

-QG

If someone says ”Breida can’t catch well,  Juszczyk might get more catches;” sarcastically saying “Morris is renowned for his pass catching ability” isn’t a logical response.
Yeah, I didn't get the counterpoint both times it was raised. That's sort of a red herring in the end.

Him and McKinnon went to the same school. Same size.  ;)
You can kept saying they are the same size, but NFL.com & 49ers.com both disagree with you.    :no:   Both show McKinnon being an inch shorter & 15 lbs heavier; definitely not the same size.

And the fact that they both went to a college that faced inferior competition isn’t a plus for Breida.

You can kept saying they are the same size, but NFL.com & 49ers.com both disagree with you.    :no:   Both show McKinnon being an inch shorter & 15 lbs heavier; definitely not the same size.

And the fact that they both went to a college that faced inferior competition isn’t a plus for Breida.
Yeah, you keep running with that. 

actually they did in their rest of year stuff - go to the  player page for Morris for example and you'll see updated numbers from 2 of the 4 FBGs.

-QG
I did find the year long update on Morris, not on Breida yet. Then they'll prolly follow up with week 1 projections. Morris 12 carries / 55 yards, 2 receptions / 12 yards .4 TD. Ummm Breida 10 carries / 44 yards, 3 receptions / 24 yards .5 TD.

Hell we can see his combine height measurement at 5.9.02  And McKinnon at 5.8.07

Even at the combine Breida is weighed in at 195. 

So you’re saying nfl teams “add” height to players sometimes, to make them seem bigger?

Why, do you think they would deduct weight to make him seem smaller?
No, the combine is EXACTING. The web pages are ran by web/IT guys.

5'9" and 195 at the combine. And he said he added 5 more pounds this offseason at age 23.

No, the combine is EXACTING. The web pages are ran by web/IT guys.
Oh, OK.  BTW, where’d you get that combine height for Breida?  Quick google search shows he didn’t get invited.  So the EXACTING combine measurement was obtained how, exactly?

OK, give Breida 10 lbs if you want.  How many NFL RBs (that handle a significant amount of carries) are 200 lbs?
Like I said, I’m not arguing anything as far as to how much Breida can handle, I’m simply stating that from all appearances Breida looks physically similar to McKinnon so I see no reason they cannot be interchangeable in their expected roles. That’s all. 

Like I said, I’m not arguing anything as far as to how much Breida can handle, I’m simply stating that from all appearances Breida looks physically similar to McKinnon so I see no reason they cannot be interchangeable in their expected roles. That’s all. 
Fair enough.  I drafted Morris last week because I didn’t see McKinnon being successful as a “between the tackles” RB & thought Alf could fill that role.  Breida being smaller reinforces that belief.  That’s all.

Just based on 2017 numbers, Factoring out Hyde and giving Morris a healthy 200 carries and 35 targets while preserving Juszczyk's role (he may get a 10% bump across the board)

Breida should still garner around 150+ rushes and 60-80 targets out of the backfield... Which I could conservatively imagine translating to 600-700 rushing yards, 50-65 catches, 400-500 receiving yards with somewhere between 4-6 total touchdowns.

In a PPR that ranges out to 175 - 221 Total Points at a CONSERVATIVE spectrum (assuming the washed up alfred morris has that sizeable of a role) The bottom end of this spectrum is around Lynch, Henry, Burkhead projections while the top is near joe mixon, Jordan Howard, and the original mckinnon projection (RB15-17ish)

He's a year further in the shanahan scheme and front office drafted the guy specifically for his skill set...
All offseason he has been working on route running and catching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-cFhEe6vs 

Coming from a 49er fan (slight bias) that watched and loved breida last year and his athleticism is real with sub 4.4 speed; I'm picking up breida everywhere in anticipation of massive upside opportunity. Could be an easy plug and play weekly RB2 out of the gates in PPR leagues. I do not expect Breida at his smaller frame (200 Pounds Now!) to assume touches to the tune of 200+ carries, but its in the realm of possibilities especially if Morris isn't the back he was as a rookie with shanny. (Glowing reports of Breida all offseason and in camp have helped me truly believe in this opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread