What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marlon Mack, RB, DEN (3 Viewers)

The Indianapolis Star believes Colts coach Frank Reich wants Marlon Mack to "carry the load" for the backfield.

This has been clear for some time now. The Colts did not draft a running back and added only Spencer Ware in free agency. Nyheim Hines isn't going anywhere as a pass catcher, but Mack — who handled big workloads down the stretch last season — should have a decisive upper hand on Jordan Wilkins and Ware on early downs.

SOURCE: Indianapolis Star

Jun 13, 2019, 8:09 PM ET

Field Yates @FieldYates

While questions surround the Indy QB situation, the backfield workhorse is clear: Marlon Mack is the man.

I wish this guy was just a little cheaper. Hes going to a big trade target of mine, especially if he opens up slow due to Luck injury

I feel like Mack is the next Garrison Hearst. That is, supremely underrated in FF circles, but goes out and puts up pretty good numbers for several years, while that FF community clamors for his replacement year after year.

Jared Smola @SmolaDS

#Colts RB snaps with starting QB Jacoby Brissett yesterday: Marlon Mack - 16 Nyheim Hines - 2 Mack was on the field for all 3 third downs and 1 fourth down.

Evan Silva @evansilva

Were signs of #Colts transitioning Marlon Mack into true 3-down role late last season when his routes run per game spiked & Nyheim Hines’ usage dwindled. Mack headed for 3-down role this year.

Jared Smola @SmolaDS

#Colts RB snaps with starting QB Jacoby Brissett yesterday: Marlon Mack - 16 Nyheim Hines - 2 Mack was on the field for all 3 third downs and 1 fourth down.

Evan Silva @evansilva

Were signs of #Colts transitioning Marlon Mack into true 3-down role late last season when his routes run per game spiked & Nyheim Hines’ usage dwindled. Mack headed for 3-down role this year.
Mack might be a league winner this year.  The Colts are going to score in spades.  Mack as an RB2 for guys in the top half of a draft who land stud RB1 and solid WR1 can take this guy as RB2 on the turn in the third.   He may fall further even.  

I am targeting him everywhere.  

Mack is currently RB19 in 0.5 PPR according to FFC. These are the guys currently ahead of him at RB12-RB18.

K. Johnson / D. Williams (KC) / L. Fournette / D. Freeman / M. Gordon / A. Jones / J. Jacobs

Other than a returning Gordon...can anyone argue why Mack shouldn't be ahead of everyone else on that list?

Not if its with Brissett they won't. 3300 yards at 59% wont cut it in 2019.
I don’t buy it.  Luck will play.  

I watched a video where he hopped over over #### and displayed excellent footwork!  He is fine!  Lol. 

Mack is value either way.  

They said he had acute pain after jumping around. Its didn't stop him from moving, but its a definite issue.
Guy can’t catch a break.  Jesus. 

Do you project Mack lower than current adp if JB starts, let’s say, 6-8 games this year?

With no Luck all RBs loose .3-.6 ypc. And the rushing TDs get cut in half, maybe worse if Brissett vultures.

So it effects everyone on that team WR/TE/RB.

I'm about a whisker away from drafting Mack in my main league, ftr. Depends on who is available obviously, but he is a strong possibility.
Who are you considering over him?

On the surface seems to be one of the safer picks,  #1rb on a top offense. 

But I've been burned by this type before.

On the surface seems to be one of the safer picks,  #1rb on a top offense. 

But I've been burned by this type before.
Yup, fantasy graveyards are littered with the remains of guys who flashed for the back half of a season and then couldn't handle the primary workload when given the opportunity the following season.  It's the same reason I'm reticent to draft Damien Williams.

I feel like Mack is the next Garrison Hearst. That is, supremely underrated in FF circles, but goes out and puts up pretty good numbers for several years, while that FF community clamors for his replacement year after year.
I was guilty of this last year! Did all my research trying to determine if it would be Himes or Wilkins thinking Mack was done. 

Mack might be a league winner this year.  The Colts are going to score in spades.  Mack as an RB2 for guys in the top half of a draft who land stud RB1 and solid WR1 can take this guy as RB2 on the turn in the third.   He may fall further even.  

I am targeting him everywhere.  
In PPR? The only thing that makes me hesitate is the lack of receptions. I think he had more than one reception in one game last year. But he is a beast on the ground. 

Mack is currently RB19 in 0.5 PPR according to FFC. These are the guys currently ahead of him at RB12-RB18.

K. Johnson / D. Williams (KC) / L. Fournette / D. Freeman / M. Gordon / A. Jones / J. Jacobs

Other than a returning Gordon...can anyone argue why Mack shouldn't be ahead of everyone else on that list?
KJ turning into a 3 down back. Fournette supposed to be more involved in the passing game. Freeman finally doesn’t have Coleman behind him (but Hill could take his place - kid is a stud). Jones is a wild card - I feel like he could finish in a 15 spot range all the way up to RB5-7 or all the way down to RB20-25  

But if someone took Mack ahead of them all I wouldn’t argue against it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is plummeting way too far and too fast in my opinion.  A week ago, everyone was excited because they said he's gonna be the every down back.  He outsnapped Hines with the ones like 17-1 or some such.  Played every third down or something like that.  Obviously, Luck being out will hurt the entire team, but if he's the three down back (unicorn these days), is it really that big of a downgrade?  Won't he possibly be featured even more without Luck's passing game?  I get that they can focus more on him but it's not like Brissett is a complete waste of space, he's just no Luck.  They still have the best O-Line in the league right?   I was happy to see him fall to me at 5.10 and be my flex.

terrific talent, top 3 , if not the single best o-line in football. Brissett is no slouch, Reich has been a QB whisperer over the years. he'll squeeze everything he can out of JB. That o-line is going to maul people, road-grader type of ground clearing machine. Check out Nick Ercolino's space on youtube, he talks at length about Mack. he's a stud who should see an uptick in performance now without Luck - moreso than with Luck, as the team leans more heavily on the running game and that incredible o-line. they're barely going to see a drop in numbers.maybe from 280 pass/gm to 260.maybe from 35-ish TDs to 28-30. Forget about Nyheim H., he's a lesser Chris Thompson Mack is a true, legit bellcow RB with 3-down potential.

yep.I own Mack in dynasty league and also Brissett. with or without Luck,  they're still going to be one of the top 5-7 offenses in the NFL in 2019.

I understand a drop, but not this much. If anything, he may get used more. Offense still has talent. I think he is a low end RB2 and excellent RB3.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
I think people are in the mindset that this Colts team will be like previous versions that lost Manning and Luck to injury.  Those teams were bereft of depth and talent - see the drafts of GM Grigson.  This team is clearly different - other posters here have noted the Colts' O-line projecting as perhaps the best in the league, but let's not forget about their defense, either.  Finished 10th in DVOA from Football Outsiders, 8th in weighted DVOA for end-of-season finish.  Denico Autry and Darius Leonard as burgeoning stars (or Leonard already being a star) at their positions.

Bottom line, I don't think this Colts team is going to be getting blown out week after week because of a change at QB, like in the past.  They are set up to play competitive games - no reason to think the run game is going to be abandoned.

Call me crazy but I think the Colts still win the division 👀

3rd quarter and he's ripped off a 60+ yard TD run. Prior to that, he was running well too. I'm not worried about him in this new offense.

3rd quarter and he's ripped off a 60+ yard TD run. Prior to that, he was running well too. I'm not worried about him in this new offense.
He didn't look too good in the 1st quarter. I think as long as they are in the game, that offensive line will start to wear out the defense and Mack should shine in the 2nd half of games.

Luck retirement will help him. This is a running offense with one of the best lines in football and Brisset looks fine out there. I think he's RB1.

He didn't look too good in the 1st quarter. I think as long as they are in the game, that offensive line will start to wear out the defense and Mack should shine in the 2nd half of games.
i think he'll be fine. 175 yards. 25 carries. A td and 2 pt conversion.

Love what I saw out of him today. He also seems to avoid big collisions while falling safely. Makes something out of nothing on every carry. Yes please.

While I love the game he had today, I’m going to be selling him if I can.  I just can’t get too hyped about a RB who isn’t used in the passing game (I only play in ppr leagues this year).  The floor is too low.  

This guy is plummeting way too far and too fast in my opinion.  A week ago, everyone was excited because they said he's gonna be the every down back.  He outsnapped Hines with the ones like 17-1 or some such.  Played every third down or something like that.  Obviously, Luck being out will hurt the entire team, but if he's the three down back (unicorn these days), is it really that big of a downgrade?  Won't he possibly be featured even more without Luck's passing game?  I get that they can focus more on him but it's not like Brissett is a complete waste of space, he's just no Luck.  They still have the best O-Line in the league right?   I was happy to see him fall to me at 5.10 and be my flex.
:thumbup:

It seems I underestimated how good Mack was. Because holy crap did he blow up week 1. 

That said, I passed on him for Amari Cooper, who would have gone 3.09 to the Cowboys fan in my league (I know, I know....we’ll take anyone I guess) and I’m happier with Cooper/Carson than Mack/WR-not-as-good-as-AC.

but Mack looks like a bargain this year for anyone who pulled him as a late 3rd or early 4th. (He went 3.12) 

Not a JAG. It's okay a lot of people were wrong with you.
I’m big enough to admit it, though I didn’t think he was a JAG. 

I just liked Carson’s upside a little more since Mack don’t catch. 

But yeah - I absolutely underestimated him, and also Brissett. 

Owning my wrongness makes me a better FF manager. I’ll learn from this long-term I hope. 

Took him after Luck injury at 5.05 in PPR.  Looking like a potential huge steal. 

...and benched him for Mike Williams in PPR.  Oof.

Had him benched for Keryon this past week. Didn't cost me. Keryon plays the same crappy Chargers rush defense this week though. Tough call. 

Marlon Mack rushed for 51 yards on 20 carries in the Colts' Week 2 win over the Titans.

The Colts tried to establish the run, but Mack didn't do much with the Titans' defense filling gaps at the line of scrimmage. When the Colts went to the red zone, it was T.Y. Hilton, Eric Ebron, and Parris Campbell scoring touchdowns, which really hurt Mack's Week 2 fantasy performance. That red zone usage was more about the Titans' defense than about Mack, so he's a bounceback candidate in Week 3 against the Falcons. That will be the Colts first home game since Andrew Luck's retirement.

Marlon Mack (calf) missed practice Wednesday.

Mack was spotted carrying (not in) a @Walking Boot in Indy's locker room Tuesday. It's still early, and he's fully expected to play, but it's at the very least something to monitor heading into Week 3. Jordan Wilkins is the favorite to get early-down carries if Mack misses any time, with Nyheim Hines' usage hiking in the passing game.

SOURCE: Indianapolis Colts on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 3:46 PM ET

Marlon Mack (calf) remained sidelined on Thursday.

The Herald Bulletin still thinks there is a "decent chance" Mack suits up against the Falcons, but the clock is ticking. Another Friday "DNP" would almost certainly mean Mack sits. Week 3 running back desperados need to have Jordan Wilkins holstered and ready.

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 1:42 PM ET

Marlon Mack (calf) returned to practice Friday.

It's a great sign after Mack sat the last two days. Despite the missed practice time, the expectation has been that Mack is healthy enough to play this week. Mack will likely be listed as questionable, but he's trending toward suiting up.

SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Sep 20, 2019, 12:39 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread