What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official PSF Moderation Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I posted this earlier, Biden has been my choice from the start because I thought he would calming after 4 years of Trump and not going totally opposite with Warren or Bernie.  That being said if he is dirty at all or has ties that would be uncovered after the election I want to know that right now.  I don`t want another 4 years of constant turmoil and investigations.   Lets get it done before.

So you fully support the impeachment investigation and efforts to obtain Trump's tax returns?
You're changing the subject, of course.  But I've stated several times in relation to that stuff that it should be a requirement that one obtains a security clearance BEFORE being allowed to run for President or even Congress.  It wouldn't weed out all the turds but it help tremendously with the corruption.  Part of obtaining that security is not only tax returns but full financial disclosure information.

You probably already know this too but a desire for the public to know Biden's history of corruption has zero to do with any action by Trump.  It's not either or.

There is also a huge anti-Hitler and anti-Manson bias on this board.  If you feel that you are unfairly singled out for the opinions expressed on this board, maybe you should consider the possibility that those opinions are either:  1)not very informed; 2) poorly reasoned; and/or 3) morally indefensible.
I just about never agree with him but he is well informed and his reasoning is fine. I wouldn't call his opinions morally indefensible, just often wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/26/us/adl-new-hate-symbols/index.html

No reply to this and the threat continues. FBGs is fine hosting hate symbols? 

🙂

Ok, we got you.  :pics:
In reality, the OK sign is probably used to represent 'white power' maybe 0.1 percent of the time at most.   It is funny how such a common symbol can be used to project some kind of racist hidden meaning in people.  It is like they have to invent #### to find racism.  

In reality, the OK sign is probably used to represent 'white power' maybe 0.1 percent of the time at most.   It is funny how such a common symbol can be used to project some kind of racist hidden meaning in people.  It is like they have to invent #### to find racism.  
Or because racists took it over as their thing and people are being careful about it.

Nobody is inventing that racists use it...it happens.  The issue now os determining when its use is for white power and when its just people playing the circle game or saying something is ok

Or because racists took it over as their thing and people are being careful about it.

Nobody is inventing that racists use it...it happens.  The issue now os determining when its use is for white power and when its just people playing the circle game or saying something is ok
A normal human being would presume it was an OK sign.  

Or we could just not care at all and not give the racists exactly what they want.

Use of the okay symbol in most contexts is entirely innocuous and harmless.

In 2017, the “okay” hand gesture acquired a new and different significance thanks to a hoax by members of the website 4chan to falsely promote the gesture as a hate symbol, claiming that the gesture represented the letters “wp,” for “white power.” The “okay” gesture hoax was merely the latest in a series of similar 4chan hoaxes using various innocuous symbols; in each case, the hoaxers hoped that the media and liberals would overreact by condemning a common image as white supremacist.

In the case of the “okay” gesture, the hoax was so successful the symbol became a popular trolling tactic on the part of right-leaning individuals, who would often post photos to social media of themselves posing while making the “okay” gesture.

Ironically, some white supremacists themselves soon also participated in such trolling tactics, lending an actual credence to those who labeled the trolling gesture as racist in nature. By 2019, at least some white supremacists seem to have abandoned the ironic or satiric intent behind the original trolling campaign and used the symbol as a sincere expression of white supremacy, such as when Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant flashed the symbol during a March 2019 courtroom appearance soon after his arrest for allegedly murdering 50 people in a shooting spree at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.
https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 4chan is to blame.

Yes, but that bias is far heavier in the forum than it is in general. 
That's because it is on the internet. A large contingent of pro-trumpers are quite old and/or uneducated. Internet forums attract younger more (relatively) tech savvy people. I doubt all those rural voters are playing fantasy football or debating politics on the internet. 

That's because it is on the internet. A large contingent of pro-trumpers are quite old and/or uneducated. Internet forums attract younger more (relatively) tech savvy people. I doubt all those rural voters are playing fantasy football or debating politics on the internet. 
:no: Wow

The forum is filled with quite old white males, but yet there is a very strong anti-Trump and anti-conservative bias in the political subforum.  The same bias is not present in the FFA.  It is a combination of the bias of the moderators and the gang mentality of the more liberal-leaning posters who have succesfully manipulated the moderators. 

The forum is filled with quite old white males, but yet there is a very strong anti-Trump and anti-conservative bias in the political subforum.  The same bias is not present in the FFA.  It is a combination of the bias of the moderators and the gang mentality of the more liberal-leaning posters who have succesfully manipulated the moderators. 
:tinfoilhat:

I don't believe that to be true, but all I've got is an anecdote: Despite the fact that my posts probably contained the most linked sources out of everyone here, I had a mod give me a time out with the line saying something like "I get that condescending bully shtick is your thing..." when I was replying with a short quip to a known troll that never contributed anything meaningful to a conversation. Can I be condescending to a worthless poster? Yep. Guilty. If someone posts unsubstantiated garbage and propaganda-like one-liners while never actually engaging in a meaningful way, I'll occasionally respond in kind which I'll admit is a mistake. But I've started a few well sourced topics, brought a lot of sourced information into serious topics, and frequently engage in thoughtful discussions, so it was utter BS for a mod to say "bully shtick" is my thing. If the mod had stuck to giving me a time out for being condescending, I'd have been fine with it. But that mod crossed a line with that accusation. 

I tell this story to combat your narrative that the mods have been manipulated into a bias against people who continue to support trump. I'm not saying a bias swings the other way, but the unwarranted attacking shot in the explanation indicates there is certainly no bias favoring anti-trumpers. Hell, I think the mod even said "if you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board." Wtf? I absolutely agree I was being condescending, but I also absolutely disagree that my posts here are bullying or that my posting could be classified as "shtick." I didn't take the time to link my sources just for fun. I've stopped doing it as much, because it's clear people don't even bother to click on them, but back when I got the warning, I was very deliberate about sourcing all my data.

As for warnings/time outs, if anything, it sounds like trump supporters are the most thin skinned and trigger happy when it comes to reporting. Perhaps, there's a bit of chicken little going on here, but I honestly don't think so. Moderation will never be perfect. There will be missed time outs at times and heavy handed time outs at other times. You probably just notice it more when one of the minority goes missing than one of the majority. 

I don't believe that to be true, but all I've got is an anecdote: Despite the fact that my posts probably contained the most linked sources out of everyone here, I had a mod give me a time out with the line saying something like "I get that condescending bully shtick is your thing..." when I was replying with a short quip to a known troll that never contributed anything meaningful to a conversation. Can I be condescending to a worthless poster? Yep. Guilty. If someone posts unsubstantiated garbage and propaganda-like one-liners while never actually engaging in a meaningful way, I'll occasionally respond in kind which I'll admit is a mistake. But I've started a few well sourced topics, brought a lot of sourced information into serious topics, and frequently engage in thoughtful discussions, so it was utter BS for a mod to say "bully shtick" is my thing. If the mod had stuck to giving me a time out for being condescending, I'd have been fine with it. But that mod crossed a line with that accusation. 

I tell this story to combat your narrative that the mods have been manipulated into a bias against people who continue to support trump. I'm not saying a bias swings the other way, but the unwarranted attacking shot in the explanation indicates there is certainly no bias favoring anti-trumpers. Hell, I think the mod even said "if you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board." Wtf? I absolutely agree I was being condescending, but I also absolutely disagree that my posts here are bullying or that my posting could be classified as "shtick." I didn't take the time to link my sources just for fun. I've stopped doing it as much, because it's clear people don't even bother to click on them, but back when I got the warning, I was very deliberate about sourcing all my data.

As for warnings/time outs, if anything, it sounds like trump supporters are the most thin skinned and trigger happy when it comes to reporting. Perhaps, there's a bit of chicken little going on here, but I honestly don't think so. Moderation will never be perfect. There will be missed time outs at times and heavy handed time outs at other times. You probably just notice it more when one of the minority goes missing than one of the majority. 
Try not to be so condescending and rude to other posters is my advice.  

This simply isn’t true. 
It is. There's a lot of data on the demographics including my link below (which doesn't even include independents like myself) and this link. Older people were more likely to vote for trump and uneducated people were more likely to vote for trump. It's well known that rural people were more likely to vote for trump and I've got no data on this, but rural people don't strike me as fantasy football message board types. My broader point was that you shouldn't expect the population on any internet forum to mimic trump's approval rating.

There are more links like this available.

How could it be?  We don't talk politics in the FFA.  What a weird thing to say :mellow:  

How could it be?  We don't talk politics in the FFA.  What a weird thing to say :mellow:  
Because, once upon a time both forums were as one, and the internal polling tended to be pretty well split and reasonably well representative of the country's population.  Now the PSF polling tends to be 90 percent leaning towards liberal and anti-Trump stances.  

Because, once upon a time both forums were as one, and the internal polling tended to be pretty well split and reasonably well representative of the country's population.  Now the PSF polling tends to be 90 percent leaning towards liberal and anti-Trump stances.  
Sure...and once upon a time "liberal" wasn't the term you guys use it as today and I'm willing to bet the "anti-Trump" stances are pretty prevalent in the FFA today.  They are just smart enough not to wander over into this chaos to say it.  Take quite the set of gymnastics skills to pull this logic off, but I do see where you're coming from with all the inference and supposition.  I'll just point out that it's probably not the smartest/strongest thing to assume all else constant except for the creation of the PSF which is what's required to make this statement in good faith.

Not according to Jim.  But I do think they are now trying to reverse what happened and make it a more welcoming place to opposing ideas.  So my points were more about history than current state.  

Wait...what?  Manipulated the moderators?

It is. There's a lot of data on the demographics including my link below (which doesn't even include independents like myself) and this link. Older people were more likely to vote for trump and uneducated people were more likely to vote for trump. It's well known that rural people were more likely to vote for trump and I've got no data on this, but rural people don't strike me as fantasy football message board types. My broader point was that you shouldn't expect the population on any internet forum to mimic trump's approval rating.

There are more links like this available.
A. Uneducated people were more likely to vote for Trump. 

B. Trump voters are mostly uneducated. 

Do you see any difference between these two statements? 

This feels like a failed attempt at virtue signaling. I never said what is said in option "B."
You’re right, my mistake. You wrote “a large contingent”. I still think it comes off as insulting. There’s a whole lot of very educated Trump voters out there (ones that I am hoping the Democrats can reach BTW.) No need to insult them. 

timschochet said:
You’re right, my mistake. You wrote “a large contingent”. I still think it comes off as insulting. There’s a whole lot of very educated Trump voters out there (ones that I am hoping the Democrats can reach BTW.) No need to insult them. 
Their voting is to blame for our nation's current debacle, so I'm guilty of insulting when speaking freely not in this forum, but I meant no insult there. I genuinely think those factors lead to trump supporters being under-represented in online forums. Do you have another theory? I really don't buy the theory that this particular forum is disproportionate due to moderation.

And you really don't have to worry about turning very many of the educated trump voters. He won on the thinnest of margins in a few swing states. You just need to convince us independents not to vote third party again (I won't) and get some youth to vote (2018 indicates they will be out in force). At this point I'm more worried about trump getting impeached and the Republicans running a halfway decent candidate because I know two trump voters who swear they'll never vote for him again, but I've got a feeling (hell, I'm pretty certain) they'll absolutely vote for any non-trump Republican over someone like Warren. And as someone who leaned R when I voted, I"m absolutely sickened by how they've fallen in line with trump and how they've voted. They've got at least a two decade voting "time out" from me. That side needs a complete purge and overhaul. I'll be treating the Democratic primaries as my real vote for the foreseeable future.

Their voting is to blame for our nation's current debacle, so I'm guilty of insulting when speaking freely not in this forum, but I meant no insult there. I genuinely think those factors lead to trump supporters being under-represented in online forums. Do you have another theory? I really don't buy the theory that this particular forum is disproportionate due to moderation.

And you really don't have to worry about turning very many of the educated trump voters. He won on the thinnest of margins in a few swing states. You just need to convince us independents not to vote third party again (I won't) and get some youth to vote (2018 indicates they will be out in force). At this point I'm more worried about trump getting impeached and the Republicans running a halfway decent candidate because I know two trump voters who swear they'll never vote for him again, but I've got a feeling (hell, I'm pretty certain) they'll absolutely vote for any non-trump Republican over someone like Warren. And as someone who leaned R when I voted, I"m absolutely sickened by how they've fallen in line with trump and how they've voted. They've got at least a two decade voting "time out" from me. That side needs a complete purge and overhaul. I'll be treating the Democratic primaries as my real vote for the foreseeable future.
It is one of the reasons though.  There are a decent amount of people that use to post here that either got banned or just left.  They all post on the FFT Geek board and it's the complete opposite of this place.  Almost no moderation, tons of homophobic and racist comments, lots of personal insults and very strongly conservative.  While being free to say more of what you want can be nice, it can get pretty bad.  I do find it entertaining how incredibly "extreme" some of them can be though.

timschochet said:

Uneducated?  Not sure what that means and it comes of offensive. We talking no schooling, HS, post grad?  I did not get my college diploma until I was 28. So from 21-28 I was considered uneducated?

timschochet said:

Uneducated?  Not sure what that means and it comes of offensive. We talking no schooling, HS, post grad?  I did not get my college diploma until I was 28. So from 21-28 I was considered uneducated?
Did you vote for Trump?

I don't see that comment in any of your warnings, but if it's there, it sounds very much like a rockaction situation.
Warning issued by FBG Moderator

July 20

Note for member

I did my best. 
I sincerely believe that. But at the same time, you contributed nothing useful. 
We get it the condescending bully shtick is your thing. But be way more cool if you want to post on the boards. If you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

My comment was snarky, but it wasn't wrong. The mod's comment was 67% wrong (condescending, yes, bullying, no, shtick, no) and accusatory. 

It is one of the reasons though.  There are a decent amount of people that use to post here that either got banned or just left.  They all post on the FFT Geek board and it's the complete opposite of this place.  Almost no moderation, tons of homophobic and racist comments, lots of personal insults and very strongly conservative.  While being free to say more of what you want can be nice, it can get pretty bad.  I do find it entertaining how incredibly "extreme" some of them can be though.
This would lead to an imbalance of who's being a jackass and who isn't....not "conservative" vs "liberal" as what some of the "conservatives" assert around here.

Warning issued by FBG Moderator

July 20

Note for member

We get it the condescending bully shtick is your thing. But be way more cool if you want to post on the boards. If you don't agree that's what you were doing, find another board. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

My comment was snarky, but it wasn't wrong. The mod's comment was 67% wrong (condescending, yes, bullying, no, shtick, no) and accusatory. 
Mods comment was 1000% correct. 

Users who are viewing this thread