Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oldmanhawkins

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday

Bike coming tomorrow!  Joined the #FBGS group. My username is RU_Sooner. 

Any ideas for classes on the longer side?  Anyone try a boot camp class yet? How do I find #FBGS taking classes to join?

• Like 2

I didn't know there were groups! 

I haven't done any live classes yet but have been doing 20 minute rides (all I have time for) Monday through Friday for almost two months now. Huge difference. 

I have to say, being able to watch my wife work out in yoga pants and a sports bra is priceless. I love this ####### bike. 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

On 9/21/2020 at 1:09 PM, Polish Hammer said:

Was in the same boat. Ended up deciding to get a Schwinn IC4 (about $900) and do the Peloton App. The Schwinn is allegedly built as well as the Peloton and has the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor that integrates with the app. Not 100% the same experience, but as long as you have an iPad to throw on there, you'll get about 85%+ of the experience for half of the price. Plus less monthly cost. 

Ordered the bike exactly 2 weeks ago, got shipping notice today. Originally said it would be 4 weeks or less from order until delivery.

Think we're just gonna follow your lead on this.  Did you look at all options, like other manufacturers and stuff?  I've seen many posts from you and trust your research.

Anybody against doing this for any reason?  It's basically getting into this Peloton rage but at half the price (or more).

Posted (edited)

@Rodrigo Duterte I have a friend that has been doing the Peloton app with another brand bike for a long while, she also rides in road races quite a bit. She bought a Sunny bike but said if she had it to do over she'd buy this bike. That plus other basic research made me feel confident with it. 

Bike is assembled and used 4 days in a row (not with the app yet, getting used to it. Very solidly built, very quiet (almost silent), easy for one person to assemble. 

No ragrets yet. 

Edited by Polish Hammer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Think we're just gonna follow your lead on this.  Did you look at all options, like other manufacturers and stuff?  I've seen many posts from you and trust your research.

Anybody against doing this for any reason?  It's basically getting into this Peloton rage but at half the price (or more).

I purchased a different bike and use the Peloton app and it works great. After the wife and I surpassed 150 rides this year we upgraded the pedals to the clip ins for $45 and bought each other the SPD shoes for another $250. After the floor mat, water bottle holder, cadence monitor, bike, shoes, and new pedals, we are about $800 in and love it. We use it enough to the point it would have been a fantastic value just getting the standard Peloton. Right now we are at 225 rides, 25 strength, and 10 yoga workouts for the year and can't see going without it, ever. The workout value is crazy good for us.

Edit: My wife's doc actually advised us to upgrade the pedals so our quads muscles would balance out more with our lower leg muscles. As it was, the quads were getting too much use and  making my wife's kneecap slightly unstable. Since upgraded everything has gotten back to normal. When you use the cages that many bikes start with(not Peloton), you don't get as much of the pull back and lift up exercise movements at the bottom and end of the circle motion.

Edited by madshot31
expanding on doc recommendation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finally pulled the trigger after being on the fence for awhile. Getting bored of rowing and figure if I'm going to invest in something - might as well be my health. Went with the basic model instead of the plus. 0% financing over like 39 months or something so don't think I'll notice the $50 for the bike plus $40 for the app too much. Used discount to get some shoes - now just have to get the mat and should be all set. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 10/5/2020 at 3:23 PM, madshot31 said:

I purchased a different bike and use the Peloton app and it works great. After the wife and I surpassed 150 rides this year we upgraded the pedals to the clip ins for $45 and bought each other the SPD shoes for another $250. After the floor mat, water bottle holder, cadence monitor, bike, shoes, and new pedals, we are about $800 in and love it. We use it enough to the point it would have been a fantastic value just getting the standard Peloton. Right now we are at 225 rides, 25 strength, and 10 yoga workouts for the year and can't see going without it, ever. The workout value is crazy good for us.

I'm a little confused by this.  I'm assuming you mean just going with the Peloton initially would've been fantastic value.  But if you are only $800 in, that's like 1/3 the price of a Peloton.  If that's the case, I would consider the knock-off excellent value.  Unless you've added $800 onto the initial bike purchase.  In which case, what was that cost and which bike? 

Thanks.  Also, does the Peloton come (standard) with all those add-ons you mention?

Edited by Rodrigo Duterte

Were there more Live classes pre-covid? I love my bike and am on it pretty much every day but I was expecting/assumed there would be a more variety of live classes. Its seems just 1 or 2 very early, then 2 that border on when I'd be getting the kids ready for school, then 1 around noon and then 2 at night. I know they have added a bunch of other disciplines, like yoga, running and body fitness which might be cutting into the schedule. 

not upset, just wondering. 

Put my Gen 2 up for sale on facebook and sold it in about 45 mins over ask ($1550) :headbang:

50 minutes ago, matuski said:

Put my Gen 2 up for sale on facebook and sold it in about 45 mins over ask ($1550) :headbang:

Buying the + or just moving on?

On 10/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, Rodrigo Duterte said:

I'm a little confused by this.  I'm assuming you mean just going with the Peloton initially would've been fantastic value.  But if you are only $800 in, that's like 1/3 the price of a Peloton.  If that's the case, I would consider the knock-off excellent value.  Unless you've added $800 onto the initial bike purchase.  In which case, what was that cost and which bike? 

Thanks.  Also, does the Peloton come (standard) with all those add-ons you mention?

Sorry about being a little confusing. At the time, we didn't see the value of a Peloton for the price point, but due to how much we use our budget version, it would have been worth it to get it at the higher cost. Thus, our budget version is a fantastic value. We love our bike and would have loved the Peloton as well. 

I believe the Peloton comes with the correct pedals but the shoes are an additional cost, but I'm not positive.

Edited by madshot31

I just ordered The Pivot for my bike.  It seems a lot smarter than trading in for a bike+.  The cost is about $70 with tax, title, dealer prep.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 6:14 PM, Nigel said:

Buying the + or just moving on?

Bought a PRX folding wall rack and weights... oldest kid getting into football/lifting, figured a good thing for us to do together.

We used the Peloton but have been slowly getting on it less and less over the last year or so.  Just time for something new.