What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (4 Viewers)

I didn't know there were groups! 

I haven't done any live classes yet but have been doing 20 minute rides (all I have time for) Monday through Friday for almost two months now. Huge difference. 

I have to say, being able to watch my wife work out in yoga pants and a sports bra is priceless. I love this ####### bike. 

Was in the same boat. Ended up deciding to get a Schwinn IC4 (about $900) and do the Peloton App. The Schwinn is allegedly built as well as the Peloton and has the heart rate monitor and cadence sensor that integrates with the app. Not 100% the same experience, but as long as you have an iPad to throw on there, you'll get about 85%+ of the experience for half of the price. Plus less monthly cost. 

Ordered the bike exactly 2 weeks ago, got shipping notice today. Originally said it would be 4 weeks or less from order until delivery.
Think we're just gonna follow your lead on this.  Did you look at all options, like other manufacturers and stuff?  I've seen many posts from you and trust your research.

Anybody against doing this for any reason?  It's basically getting into this Peloton rage but at half the price (or more).

@Rodrigo Duterte I have a friend that has been doing the Peloton app with another brand bike for a long while, she also rides in road races quite a bit. She bought a Sunny bike but said if she had it to do over she'd buy this bike. That plus other basic research made me feel confident with it. 

Bike is assembled and used 4 days in a row (not with the app yet, getting used to it. Very solidly built, very quiet (almost silent), easy for one person to assemble. 

No ragrets yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Think we're just gonna follow your lead on this.  Did you look at all options, like other manufacturers and stuff?  I've seen many posts from you and trust your research.

Anybody against doing this for any reason?  It's basically getting into this Peloton rage but at half the price (or more).
I purchased a different bike and use the Peloton app and it works great. After the wife and I surpassed 150 rides this year we upgraded the pedals to the clip ins for $45 and bought each other the SPD shoes for another $250. After the floor mat, water bottle holder, cadence monitor, bike, shoes, and new pedals, we are about $800 in and love it. We use it enough to the point it would have been a fantastic value just getting the standard Peloton. Right now we are at 225 rides, 25 strength, and 10 yoga workouts for the year and can't see going without it, ever. The workout value is crazy good for us.

Edit: My wife's doc actually advised us to upgrade the pedals so our quads muscles would balance out more with our lower leg muscles. As it was, the quads were getting too much use and  making my wife's kneecap slightly unstable. Since upgraded everything has gotten back to normal. When you use the cages that many bikes start with(not Peloton), you don't get as much of the pull back and lift up exercise movements at the bottom and end of the circle motion.

Finally pulled the trigger after being on the fence for awhile. Getting bored of rowing and figure if I'm going to invest in something - might as well be my health. Went with the basic model instead of the plus. 0% financing over like 39 months or something so don't think I'll notice the $50 for the bike plus $40 for the app too much. Used discount to get some shoes - now just have to get the mat and should be all set. 

I purchased a different bike and use the Peloton app and it works great. After the wife and I surpassed 150 rides this year we upgraded the pedals to the clip ins for $45 and bought each other the SPD shoes for another $250. After the floor mat, water bottle holder, cadence monitor, bike, shoes, and new pedals, we are about $800 in and love it. We use it enough to the point it would have been a fantastic value just getting the standard Peloton. Right now we are at 225 rides, 25 strength, and 10 yoga workouts for the year and can't see going without it, ever. The workout value is crazy good for us.
I'm a little confused by this.  I'm assuming you mean just going with the Peloton initially would've been fantastic value.  But if you are only $800 in, that's like 1/3 the price of a Peloton.  If that's the case, I would consider the knock-off excellent value.  Unless you've added $800 onto the initial bike purchase.  In which case, what was that cost and which bike? 

Thanks.  Also, does the Peloton come (standard) with all those add-ons you mention?

Were there more Live classes pre-covid? I love my bike and am on it pretty much every day but I was expecting/assumed there would be a more variety of live classes. Its seems just 1 or 2 very early, then 2 that border on when I'd be getting the kids ready for school, then 1 around noon and then 2 at night. I know they have added a bunch of other disciplines, like yoga, running and body fitness which might be cutting into the schedule. 

not upset, just wondering. 

I'm a little confused by this.  I'm assuming you mean just going with the Peloton initially would've been fantastic value.  But if you are only $800 in, that's like 1/3 the price of a Peloton.  If that's the case, I would consider the knock-off excellent value.  Unless you've added $800 onto the initial bike purchase.  In which case, what was that cost and which bike? 

Thanks.  Also, does the Peloton come (standard) with all those add-ons you mention?
Sorry about being a little confusing. At the time, we didn't see the value of a Peloton for the price point, but due to how much we use our budget version, it would have been worth it to get it at the higher cost. Thus, our budget version is a fantastic value. We love our bike and would have loved the Peloton as well. 

I believe the Peloton comes with the correct pedals but the shoes are an additional cost, but I'm not positive.

Buying the + or just moving on?
Bought a PRX folding wall rack and weights... oldest kid getting into football/lifting, figured a good thing for us to do together.

We used the Peloton but have been slowly getting on it less and less over the last year or so.  Just time for something new.

AcerFC said:
I know this is frowned upon now, but can we talk about Kendall in her Metallica ride

:stalker:
I know I'm a neewb but holy carp that was a tough ride. IDK what she was on, but some of those cadence/resistance numbers she was hitting were lunacy. I'm dead tired now

yesterday during my ride, the peloton shut down on me. I had to hard reset it and it lasted the rest of the ride. 

My wife did a ride yesterday and it shut down on her 3 times in a 2 minute span. I called and sent a video of the issue, but no one has replied yet. Has this happened to anyone

And wouldnt you know it, it is one day over the year warranty. 

yesterday during my ride, the peloton shut down on me. I had to hard reset it and it lasted the rest of the ride. 

My wife did a ride yesterday and it shut down on her 3 times in a 2 minute span. I called and sent a video of the issue, but no one has replied yet. Has this happened to anyone

It hasn't shut down on me, but every once in a blue moon, something goes wrong like it doesn't track my cadence or output or even the power zone bar freezes.

Has anyone experienced regression in average output/total output numbers? I've been on the bike for about 15 months now. I've been doing a ride every day since March, 30 minutes on weekdays and either 20 or 15 minutes on weekends. My personal best on a 30-minute ride is an average output of 234, which resulted in a total output of 420. That was at the beginning of December. Since then, my max has dropped to an average of about 215, and total of around 390. And it's a struggle to get to that, sometimes. I feel like I'm exerting the same amount of effort, but pushing to my previous levels -- my gauge was 400 total output on a 30-minute ride, which I used to hit with regularity -- is really difficult now. 

Is regression common? Do I just need a break? Is it possible my bike needs recalibration after 15 months of daily use?

Has anyone experienced regression in average output/total output numbers? I've been on the bike for about 15 months now. I've been doing a ride every day since March, 30 minutes on weekdays and either 20 or 15 minutes on weekends. My personal best on a 30-minute ride is an average output of 234, which resulted in a total output of 420. That was at the beginning of December. Since then, my max has dropped to an average of about 215, and total of around 390. And it's a struggle to get to that, sometimes. I feel like I'm exerting the same amount of effort, but pushing to my previous levels -- my gauge was 400 total output on a 30-minute ride, which I used to hit with regularity -- is really difficult now. 

Is regression common? Do I just need a break? Is it possible my bike needs recalibration after 15 months of daily use?
What type of rides are you doing?  Have you tried any Power Zone classes?

Do you have a HRM?  Sometimes it may feel like you're exerting the same amount of effort but I've found HR to be the best true indicator for me.  If so, compare your HR numbers along with your output numbers to see if your average heart rate has dropped as your output has hit a plateau.  You may have more in the tank to push the pace than you realize.  I can get in the habit of coasting a bit more at a certain resistance when I improve and things get easier for me instead of continuing to push past my limits.

The network connection dropped out or the bike powered off?

Are the power connections to the bike and/or screen loose at all?

Have you ever updated the software on it?  Tried the clearing the cache trick?

Are you connected via wifi?  We used to have drops / skips but then hardwired it to one of our mesh units and now 0 problems ever.

I just ordered The Pivot for my bike.  It seems a lot smarter than trading in for a bike+.  The cost is about $70 with tax, title, dealer prep.  
Seems easier to just cast to a TV or just use the Peloton app on smart TVs?  Unless you don't have a TV by the bike I guess, but I'd get bored without my TV on too.

That’s a lot of consecutive rides. I’d try giving yourself a break for a couple of days. 

What type of rides are you doing?  Have you tried any Power Zone classes?

Do you have a HRM?  Sometimes it may feel like you're exerting the same amount of effort but I've found HR to be the best true indicator for me.  If so, compare your HR numbers along with your output numbers to see if your average heart rate has dropped as your output has hit a plateau.  You may have more in the tank to push the pace than you realize.  I can get in the habit of coasting a bit more at a certain resistance when I improve and things get easier for me instead of continuing to push past my limits.
I haven't done any Power Zone yet. I mainly stick to music rides in the range of 7.5-8.5 in user ratings. 

The heart-rate monitor is a good suggestion. I don't have one, but I do wear an Apple watch. I'm not sure that's very accurate, though. According to that, my heart rate max has been consistent, but who knows if I can trust that. 

Like @thecatch suggested, I should probably just take a break and do something else for a few days. 

I haven't done any Power Zone yet. I mainly stick to music rides in the range of 7.5-8.5 in user ratings. 

The heart-rate monitor is a good suggestion. I don't have one, but I do wear an Apple watch. I'm not sure that's very accurate, though. According to that, my heart rate max has been consistent, but who knows if I can trust that. 

Like @thecatch suggested, I should probably just take a break and do something else for a few days. 
If you're really interested in improving your output over time, Power Zone is the way to go.  Gives you a range of 7 zones on screen by your output and has you move back and forth between different zones with the overall goal of increasing your average output over time.

Same boat. I do mostly 45 to 60 minute rides. Have been riding a stationary bike for 17 years, and had the Peloton for nearly three (paid off in April!). In June 2018, I did a 60 minute ride with Jennifer Jacobs. I averaged 24.23 mph and my output was 1007. That was, I'm sure, a hard ride, and it remains my PR. I did a lot of rides of varying times that were at about the same output, a touch less.

I can't touch that PR now. I've thought about taking the ride again and it frightens me. Maybe something about breaking in the bike?

Ok, my top performance ride. George Hincapie's 30 minute Pro Cyclist Ride on June 28, 2018. 

Total output: 564
Ave. Watts: 314
Avg. Resistance: 66
Avg. Speed: 25.19
Distance: 12.58
Calories: 794

Not a chance I can touch that now. I'm nearing 50 years old. Testosterone drop, and/or an anomaly. 

I've had the bike for 4 years, recently did my 1,000th ride (40 min avg, not padding stats w/ 5 min cooldowns).  All the PRs I posted in the first year still stand, and in general my average outputs have declined. Most of it is realizing that puking in my basement trying to chase PRs on a stationary bike is stupid.  I still work hard but not every ride is to the death, I vary my efforts and I don't think I've lost fitness. I'm also sure calibration changes over time, a lot of moving parts - it has to. I've never bothered to do it but there's a pretty easy self-calibration you can do. 

And another vote for PZ rides being the way to go.

The network connection dropped out or the bike powered off?

Are the power connections to the bike and/or screen loose at all?

Have you ever updated the software on it?  Tried the clearing the cache trick?

Are you connected via wifi?  We used to have drops / skips but then hardwired it to one of our mesh units and now 0 problems ever.
I did check the connections but not good enough I guess. It was an issue with the power pack being under the bike. Got it sorted out now. Thx

For the majority of my one year since getting the Peloton, I stuck with cycling and stretching (for my back/sciatica condition). I'm way more flexible than I was a year ago.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I started taking core and Pilates classes. I'm really enjoying them. It's a part of my body that I have neglected in recent years. I think it's actually helping my cycling. I did a PR on a Power Zone Endurance class yesterday and that's pretty usual for me in a PZE class since I'm not exactly going all out.  I think I'm going to do more strength classes going forward.

I'm trying to mix up my classes a bit more. I would say that I take 3-4 Power Zone rides a week, but I mix in some Hills, HIIT, and shorter classes in addition to low impact rides for recovery.

For the majority of my one year since getting the Peloton, I stuck with cycling and stretching (for my back/sciatica condition). I'm way more flexible than I was a year ago.

About 2-3 weeks ago, I started taking core and Pilates classes. I'm really enjoying them. It's a part of my body that I have neglected in recent years. I think it's actually helping my cycling. I did a PR on a Power Zone Endurance class yesterday and that's pretty usual for me in a PZE class since I'm not exactly going all out.  I think I'm going to do more strength classes going forward.

I'm trying to mix up my classes a bit more. I would say that I take 3-4 Power Zone rides a week, but I mix in some Hills, HIIT, and shorter classes in addition to low impact rides for recovery.
So for the non-cycling classes, are you still using your monitor or do you use the app? Airplay to TV? I want to get into yoga but not sure most efficient way to do it.

So for the non-cycling classes, are you still using your monitor or do you use the app? Airplay to TV? I want to get into yoga but not sure most efficient way to do it.
We do a lot of the mediation, yoga and bodyweight strength classes using airplay on of our TVs. Works great and the variety is nice. 

I have the Peloton App on 3 of my tvs using either an Amazon Firestick or Roku. You can also airplay it.

They have Yoga classes for various yoga poses. You should start with those before you take the Yoga flow classes. They're a good introduction.

My wife wants to get a Peloton, particularly with the price drop on the older version and interest free offer.  Sounds like a lot of people in this thread have been using it a long time.  Anything to know before taking the plunge?

My wife wants to get a Peloton, particularly with the price drop on the older version and interest free offer.  Sounds like a lot of people in this thread have been using it a long time.  Anything to know before taking the plunge?
One thing that might make taking the plunge a bit easier. They really hold their value, so resale is strong.

I’ll give you my code for $100 off merch

i get 100 also if you are interested. 

I’ll give you my code for $100 off merch

i get 100 also if you are interested. 
I assume that is good towards extras only and not the purchase of the bike?

My wife already has shoes, not sure I'm going to participate but if I was, that would be good for a pair of shoes I guess.

I assume that is good towards extras only and not the purchase of the bike?

My wife already has shoes, not sure I'm going to participate but if I was, that would be good for a pair of shoes I guess.
Yes. Shoes and any accessories. 
make sure your wife has the kind of attachment needed. My wife’s spin shoes didn’t work. She needed to get new ones. 

Pulled the trigger this morning.  Delivery date 3/15.  :kicksrock:
Covid has been great for their business but keeping up with demand is a huge issue for them. They never dreamed they'd grow this quickly and simply don't have the manufacturing capacity to keep up. Something to look forward to!

Covid has been great for their business but keeping up with demand is a huge issue for them. They never dreamed they'd grow this quickly and simply don't have the manufacturing capacity to keep up. Something to look forward to!
Yeah, their website gave the caution that delivery was at least six weeks out. I'm potentially going back to the office 4/1, so I was hoping this would assist me in being able to fit into my work clothes again, but looks like I'll need to start an alternative.

This is one of the reasons the resale value is pretty high and the used market has been busy, no waiting.

I got mine used off of ebay but that was a couple years ago.
I generally don't like buying used for an item like this.  You never know how it was treated before you get it.  Hopefully yours has been good for you.

Yeah, their website gave the caution that delivery was at least six weeks out. I'm potentially going back to the office 4/1, so I was hoping this would assist me in being able to fit into my work clothes again, but looks like I'll need to start an alternative.
You may get it sooner than you think. A work colleague got it 2-3 weeks faster than projected.

Users who are viewing this thread