Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Hilts

Week 5 ww pickups

Ok I lost cook and I'm trying to rank the ww RBS in my league. PPR

Murray, mkinnon, gallman, Lacy, Rawls

I have number 4 priority and in my gut don't really think any of these guys is worth using it.  Anyway how would you rank these turds?

26 minutes ago, need2know said:

Ok I lost cook and I'm trying to rank the ww RBS in my league. PPR

Murray, mkinnon, gallman, Lacy, Rawls

I have number 4 priority and in my gut don't really think any of these guys is worth using it.  Anyway how would you rank these turds?

I think you should trust your gut. Since you asked:

Gallman - may supplant Perkins, bad line, but if opportunity leads to volume, could be mediocre RB3/borderline RB/

Murray - early down, RZ, ankle still not right, bad offense w/o Sam (he might come back soon)

Rawls - from healthy scratch to lead back? Crazier things have happened, he is capable. I think they also like the big play ability CJP has flashed.

McKinnon - CoP, 3rd down, bit higher in full PPR

Lacy - one week garbage time stat line versus the chatter all year (& for years.) Not a fan of his work ethic or lack of passion. Hard pass.

1 minute ago, BobbyLayne said:

I think you should trust your gut. Since you asked:

Gallman - may supplant Perkins, bad line, but if opportunity leads to volume, could be mediocre RB3/borderline RB/

Murray - early down, RZ, ankle still not right, bad offense w/o Sam (he might come back soon)

Rawls - from healthy scratch to lead back? Crazier things have happened, he is capable. I think they also like the big play ability CJP has flashed.

McKinnon - CoP, 3rd down, bit higher in full PPR

Lacy - one week garbage time stat line versus the chatter all year (& for years.) Not a fan of his work ethic or lack of passion. Hard pass.

Yeah odds are I could get one of these guys after waivers pass and save my spot or even move up

2 hours ago, Megaton said:
16 hours ago, Hilts said:

And Murray claims his ankle still isn't 100% from the off season surgery. 

That is not quite what he said. He said something to the effect you are never 100 percent.  I think he just meant football players are always banged up, but he says he is ready to go. 

That’s a good clarification, thanks. Still, a lot of times it takes a 12-18 months for an ankle to be back to where you once were.

1 minute ago, need2know said:

Yeah odds are I could get one of these guys after waivers pass and save my spot or even move up

It’s a calculated risk. I guess see if there are any other lottery tickets (Breida, Foreman) on the WW you might want that spot for later.

With all the injuries this week (some season-ending, some not) & the Bye's officially starting, I have this feeling that panicked owners are gonna end up dropping some quality players to pick up one/multiple of this weeks average crop o waiver adds. 

Maybe the shark play is to simply sit on your priorities/ save your faab and see who's dropped this week to add on Friday (or whenever your 2nd waivers run). 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 4th&inches said:

With all the injuries this week (some season-ending, some not) & the Bye's officially starting, I have this feeling that panicked owners are gonna end up dropping some quality players to pick up one/multiple of this weeks average crop o waiver adds. 

Maybe the shark play is to simply sit on your priorities/ save your faab and see who's dropped this week to add on Friday (or whenever your 2nd waivers run). 

This is the best week since week 1 to burn your waiver priority or FAAB, imo. Don't know how the rest of the weeks will pan out, but I'm still trying to grab Murray or Gallman this week.

Edited by cloppbeast

Surprised Jaron Brown is still lightly owned. Played 82/86 snaps, double digit targets 2 weeks in a row, TDs 2 of the last 3. John Brown outsnapped JJN 53-25 while Jaron stayed on the field. Guess the downside is figuring out which of the three is the real WR2 when they are all healthy.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Surprised Jaron Brown is still lightly owned. Played 82/86 snaps, double digit targets 2 weeks in a row, TDs 2 of the last 3. John Brown outsnapped JJN 53-25 while Jaron stayed on the field. Guess the downside is figuring out which of the three is the real WR2 when they are all healthy.

This about sums it up. Just a few weeks ago JJ Nelson was the hot add. Next week it might be John Brown.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Not a bad WR4 that you can throw in for bye weeks but not someone Id want to rely on or spend any big $ on.

15 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Not a bad WR4 that you can throw in for bye weeks but not someone Id want to rely on or spend any big $ on.

Maybe in deep bench leagues. Who did you roster that you'll drop for Jaron Brown, and why did you roster them in the first place? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking he's just the flavor of the week. 

Edited by cloppbeast

Had Cook and Carson go down in my 1/2 ppr.  3 WW moves a week, replaced my K and picked up Ellington (I actually like his chances with all the targets he's gotten the past couple of weeks) I have one more move that I can make.  

My RBs are Abdullah, Ingram, Alex Collins, Buck Allen & West (who I planned to replace before they went out). 

All the usual WW suspects are gone, Gallman or picking a SEA RB seem to the best choices. So with my last move I'm chewing on Gallman and staying with Cinci as my D or picking a streaming D.  I'm in NY so Gallman isn't sneaking up on anyone, but I may risk it and see what shakes out when ppl start doing the bye week shuffle, ugh.   

12 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Maybe in deep bench leagues. Who did you roster that you'll drop for Jaron Brown, and why did you roster them in the first place? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm thinking he's just the flavor of the week. 

I consider WR4s guys like Hurns, Lee, Mathews, Maclin... Hes in the mix with those guys IMO

I know this isn't Asst Coach, but I'm leaning Gallman over McKinnon to pick up.  Would you drop Jamal Williams or Burkhead for him?  Is it dumb of me to hold onto Burkhead as some sort of magic bean that going to explode onto the scene once he's healthy?

43 minutes ago, TripleThreat said:

Had Cook and Carson go down in my 1/2 ppr.  3 WW moves a week, replaced my K and picked up Ellington (I actually like his chances with all the targets he's gotten the past couple of weeks) I have one more move that I can make.  

My RBs are Abdullah, Ingram, Alex Collins, Buck Allen & West (who I planned to replace before they went out). 

All the usual WW suspects are gone, Gallman or picking a SEA RB seem to the best choices. So with my last move I'm chewing on Gallman and staying with Cinci as my D or picking a streaming D.  I'm in NY so Gallman isn't sneaking up on anyone, but I may risk it and see what shakes out when ppl start doing the bye week shuffle, ugh.   

No mention of Murray? He is a no-brainer for me. Not sure what I'm missing. 

Edited by cloppbeast
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

This about sums it up. Just a few weeks ago JJ Nelson was the hot add. Next week it might be John Brown.

In that situation, I'd bet on talent, which is John Brown. There's a chance he never gets healthy, and there's a chance the entire non-Fitz WR corps is a game of musical chairs, but Smokey is a complete receiver who has put up a 1K season as recently as two years ago.

BTW, I wouldn't read too much into last week's snap count. Apparently Arians explained it by saying that since both Smokey and JJN were banged up, they split their WR3 workload and gave Jaron the WR2 snaps. No guarantee that holds going forward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

No mention of Murray? He is a no-brainer for me. Not sure what I'm missing. 

Gone. Thanks though.

edit: so is Lacy.  

Edited by TripleThreat

16 minutes ago, zftcg said:

In that situation, I'd bet on talent, which is John Brown. There's a chance he never gets healthy, and there's a chance the entire non-Fitz WR corps is a game of musical chairs, but Smokey is a complete receiver who has put up a 1K season as recently as two years ago.

BTW, I wouldn't read too much into last week's snap count. Apparently Arians explained it by saying that since both Smokey and JJN were banged up, they split their WR3 workload and gave Jaron the WR2 snaps. No guarantee that holds going forward.

Good post, and thanks for the Arians info.   I was wondering the same thing as the poster you quoted and was kinda leaning towards doing the same thing as you mentioned (betting on the talent/past success in John Brown).    On a side note,  I watched parts of the game Sunday and I couldn't believe Palmer had accumulated as many yards as he did.   It literally seemed like every time he dropped back he was getting smashed.  I was streaming him and had to change the channel because it was pissing me off seeing him get drilled so often. 

3 minutes ago, Rushmore said:

Good post, and thanks for the Arians info.   I was wondering the same thing as the poster you quoted and was kinda leaning towards doing the same thing as you mentioned (betting on the talent/past success in John Brown).    On a side note,  I watched parts of the game Sunday and I couldn't believe Palmer had accumulated as many yards as he did.   It literally seemed like every time he dropped back he was getting smashed.  I was streaming him and had to change the channel because it was pissing me off seeing him get drilled so often. 

OT helped pad his final stats

• Like 1

OK, here are my claims for tomorrow morning (16-team league, standard scoring, start 2 RB, 2 WR and WR/TE flex). I'm dead last in waiver priority

• Add Evan Engram, Drop Benjamin Watson
  • Add Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Drop Benjamin Watson
  • Add John Brown, Drop Travis Benjamin
  • Add Buffalo, Drop Cincinnati

My rationale: I've been starting Watson with Eifert out, and he's been fine, but I think Engram (who was mysteriously dropped last week) has the potential to really break out. Meanwhile, as I mentioned upthread, ASJ is a great play vs Cleveland this week.

The Brown thing is a long-term bet on talent for my WR4 slot. I'm hoping he rounds into shape a few weeks from now, when I need him for byes. If I don't get him, I'm mostly indifferent between Benjy and other potential plugins (Wright, Jaron Brown, JJ Nelson)

Considered investing in the SEA/MINN/NYG backfields, but didn't seem worth it. My goal for RBs off the WW is to get someone with better RB2 potential than Collins, and I don't see it in any of those guys.

Ty Montgomery said he is dealing with "multiple" broken ribs.

ESPN's Adam Schefter had reported Montgomery's injury was not as serious as Green Bay feared, but the running back is apparently still dealing with fractures. Even so, Montgomery suggested he has a shot to play this week. "I'll be fine. I'm feeling a lot better than I felt on Thursday," Montgomery said. "It's just a matter of, is it going to be safe enough for me to be out there and not risk internal injury? That's the conversation I'm trying to have now." With Montgomery seemingly more questionable than expected, Aaron Jones is a speculative add in all formats.

I'll be grabbing Aaron Jones where I don't already have him.  Something tells me Monty sits through the week 8 bye, especially when they saw Jones perform capably and they probably won't *need* Monty. 

For the deeper leagues, Devante Mays is worth a stab.

Edited by JFS171
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I'll be grabbing Aaron Jones where I don't already have him.  Something tells me Monty sits through the week 8 bye, especially when they saw Jones perform capably and they probably won't *need* Monty. 

Are you forgetting about Williams? He should be the lead back when healthy. Jones cannot protect Rodgers.

6 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

How long is J. Williams out?

I put in the claim for Deshaun. Finally using that #1 ww spot. 

5 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Are you forgetting about Williams? He should be the lead back when healthy. Jones cannot protect Rodgers.

He's also hurt and unlikely to play this week.  He looked positively Murray-ian on his carries before his injury.

5 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

How long is J. Williams out?

The quotes I've seen suggest he's almost certainly out for this week, but supposedly his MRI was clean.  Idk what that means exactly - and I've heard Dr. Jene allude to as much referencing other injury reports before.  Does "clean" mean his ACL and PCL are fine, but he's got an MCL injury that will heal on its own but will take a few weeks to a month?  Does it mean he's got miniscus damage but all the ligaments are intact?  They're still calling it a sprain ... idk how long he's out, but Jones did fine on Thursday night and now gets a shot to prove himself again.  Totally plausible to me that he leapfrogs Williams, who I believe was only getting run due to his pass pro.  

DeVante Mays is interesting only because he might be the best long term compliment to Monty as an early down hammer, and he's now going to get a chance to show something.  Time will tell on all of this, but I'd rather invest in the powerful offense with opportunity than wonder which Seahawks flavor of the week can fall forward for 2 yards a carry.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Hurt plus ineffective...Jones willlikely be the play.  They will use Ripkowski and TE chipping to help protect Rodgers IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sho nuff said:

Hurt plus ineffective...Jones willlikely be the play.  They will use Ripkowski and TE chipping to help protect Rodgers IMO

That is usually okay for the packers if the back can keep Rodgers upright.

I'm low key happy there are a fair amount of options available at RB this week so I can get Jones for cheaper than it was looking like on Thursday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I'm low key happy there are a fair amount of options available at RB this week so I can get Jones for cheaper than it was looking like on Thursday.

Been mulling that over. Feels like 1-2 week play but maybe a good pickup while things like the BAL/NYG/SEA committees sort themselves out.

10 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I'm considering this strategy as well. Pass on Murray/McKinnon (I'm completely avoiding the Seattle/NYG situations) and try to get Jones for a cheaper price. I'll need to work the WW again when Montgomery returns but maybe I can get at least one really good game out of Jones in the meantime. 

35 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Jamaal Williams labelled ineffective on 9 carries. How do you spell premature? In his brief stint he was every bit as effective as Montgomery and Jones, which isn't saying much.

The injury is a different issue though.

Edited by cloppbeast
  • Like 1

I don't think Williams looked anywhere near as good as Montgomery before he got hurt though I agree it's too premature to write him off as the top backup. But my general assessment of Williams watching him in college and in the preseason was he was a very ordinary RB. Good power but straight ahead type who lacks burst and the ability to make people miss in space. 

Montgomery is the clear starter in this backfield when healthy.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Been mulling that over. Feels like 1-2 week play but maybe a good pickup while things like the BAL/NYG/SEA committees sort themselves out.

I don't trust Ty. He left almost every single game this year with some type of nick and it just so happened that the last "nick" was broken ribs. The sickle cell trait scares me, as it does with John Brown.

14 minutes ago, packersfan said:

I'm considering this strategy as well. Pass on Murray/McKinnon (I'm completely avoiding the Seattle/NYG situations) and try to get Jones for a cheaper price. I'll need to work the WW again when Montgomery returns but maybe I can get at least one really good game out of Jones in the meantime.

There's a non-zero chance Jones is the long term play and I believe that chance to be a tad higher than the consensus.

8 minutes ago, cloppbeast said:

Jamaal Williams labelled ineffective on 9 carries. How do you spell premature? In his brief stint he was every bit as effective as Montgomery and Jones, which isn't saying much.

Jamaal Williams has been ineffective since the preseason. It's the reason he and Jones split work during the final preseason game. I've been saying this since preseason, Jones is better than Williams. It was apparent then and it's apparent now. I get the pass pro thing, but best case scenario for Williams (worst case for fantasy) is that Jones would force a timeshare assuming Ty is out longish term.

• Like 4

Almost a guaranteed timeshare in GB if Williams is healthy unless Jones magically learns to pass block.

Edited by Weebs210

1 hour ago, SameSongNDance said:

I don't trust Ty. He left almost every single game this year with some type of nick and it just so happened that the last "nick" was broken ribs. 

Agreed

I play in 3 yahoo leagues. In Yahoo players don't get locked to the ww until sunday at 1. I don't like that players can be picked up Thurs night but that's the rule and others do it so....

Anyway I added Jones x2 when Williams got hurt and I may start him in 1 this week

Edited by Cowboysfan8

38 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I don't trust Ty. He left almost every single game this year with some type of nick and it just so happened that the last "nick" was broken ribs. The sickle cell trait scares me, as it does with John Brown.

There's a non-zero chance Jones is the long term play and I believe that chance to be a tad higher than the consensus.

Jamaal Williams has been ineffective since the preseason. It's the reason he and Jones split work during the final preseason game. I've been saying this since preseason, Jones is better than Williams. It was apparent then and it's apparent now. I get the pass pro thing, but best case scenario for Williams (worst case for fantasy) is that Jones would force a timeshare assuming Ty is out longish term.

This is pretty much my read of this whole situation.  Per his interview here, Montgomery confirms he has broken ribs (plural - multiple).  He references it being a pain tolerance thing but is also quoted as saying "safe enough to not risk internal injury."  To me, that, combined with sickle cell trait generally slowing the healing process from what I've read/understand, and the Packers having a week 8 bye suggests to me Ty is not only not playing this week, but may sit out the next two games as well, get a full month's recovery time, and then return.

I've thought Jones might be the long term play from the get go, so perhaps that confirmation bias is coloring my perspective here, but to me he has way more juice and burst than Williams, is a better receiver than Williams, looked to be more elusive than Williams, and could plausibly be schemed around and/or have improved enough in pass pro to negate the only major advantage Williams had to begin with.

Williams has just looked really pedestrian to me on his carries, and you could see it Thursday night.  I'm not saying his career is defined at this point, but he looked kinda like a plodding, push-the-pile, fall forward kind of runner to me.

Edited by JFS171
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Agreed

I play in 3 yahoo leagues. In Yahoo players don't get locked to the ww until Monday at 1. I don't like that players can be picked up Thurs night but that's the rule and others do it so....

Anyway I added Jones x2 when Williams got hurt and I may start him in 1 this week

Your league has some odd waivers if you were able to add Jones post-Williams injury.  That's not standard Yahoo.  Standard settings, Yahoo locks players until the Waiver processing deadline once their game starts.

Need a TE, had Olsen broken foot and Doyle who is concussed.   Watson have any gas left in the tank?

4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Need a TE, had Olsen broken foot and Doyle who is concussed.   Watson have any gas left in the tank?

Clay available?  ASJ?  Prolly not but thought id ask.

Man I hope I get Aaron Jones from the #2 WW position.  Gallman consolation prize but really want Jones.  SSandD said everything I tried to say about Jones, only better. :thumbup:

20 minutes ago, Buck Bradcanon said:

Man I hope I get Aaron Jones from the #2 WW position.  Gallman consolation prize but really want Jones.  SSandD said everything I tried to say about Jones, only better. :thumbup:

This is one dude idk what to make of. I didn't get to see him in the last Giants game but I feel like I saw a RB come off the bench a couple games ago who just passed the eye test immediately and, of course, he was benched promptly to allow Perkins and Darkwa to have at it again. 

I'm guess that was Gallman. If so, he should be able to hold down that job. He looked the part. 

But here's my question/worry: are the Giants going to be committed enough to the run to justify rostering this dude?

I don't think they will, unfortunately. 

I think this guy's job is going to be to get them 2-3 yards and then pass protect while they try to force feed OBJ. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Your league has some odd waivers if you were able to add Jones post-Williams injury.  That's not standard Yahoo.  Standard settings, Yahoo locks players until the Waiver processing deadline once their game starts.

Check Thurs after kickoff for Pat's and Bucs players and get back with me

53 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Typo, meant Sunday instead of Monday. I edited. 

I'll bet you yahoo allows Thurs players to be picked up in game 

1 hour ago, SameSongNDance said:

And what if Ty comes back next week and they just manage his reps and make him purely the 3rd down back? The Packers offensive line doesn't seem good enough to give you good points as a 2 down thumper. I liked the way he looked but as someone with a stacked team, I have a really hard time wanting to pay up for anyone on the waiver this week.

I guess it comes down to this for me: I am in a position where I have #1 waiver priority and are any of these guys this week going to be a league winner? Maybe, but are any of them a clear situation? No. That's what makes me nervous because if KHunt or Bell go down this week, West and Conner are clear slam dunks. Or you could just sit at #1 all year and never use it and miss out. Where's the crystal ball when you need it.

1 hour ago, cloppbeast said:

Jamaal Williams labelled ineffective on 9 carries. How do you spell premature? In his brief stint he was every bit as effective as Montgomery and Jones, which isn't saying much.

I disagree...I think Jones has shown more through preseason and that tiny bit of work thus far.

I don't think he supplants Ty though...so, it may be a 3-4 week thing depending on what they do with Montgomery to deal with the injury there.

• Like 1

TB WR Humphries could be a good one week plug in. He's been getting the targets and put up a couple good games in a row. Plus they play the Pats who are letting everyone and their mama score on them

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ldizzle said:

TB WR Humphries could be a good one week plug in. He's been getting the targets and put up a couple good games in a row. Plus they play the Pats who are letting everyone and their mama score on them

Was just thinking about this one my man.  I need a one week guy..was hoping Corey Davis would be beasting by now but alas.   :kicksrock:

9 minutes ago, ldizzle said:

Yup, it's hard to ignore 17 targets and a 12/138/0 stat line over the past two weeks in PPR. I don't think he's a priority add but good depth.

• Like 1