What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 5 ww pickups (1 Viewer)

Is there any gold to mine in Atl behind Julio Jones and Sanu who went out with injuries?  I know Taylor Gabriel is explosive but likely better in best ball formats due to lack of consistency.

I think Kamara is the top add this week if he's available. Becoming more and more involved with that offense. He'll easily get 5-10 targets/game and looked good on his few rushing attempts.

I was curious enough about this to fire up the data dominator.  Since 2015, here are how many top 5 RB weeks each NFL team has produced:

Now back to your regularly scheduled WW pickups discussion.
Appreciate the effort and always good to see more data, but I feel this doesn't tell us a whole lot. The most top-5 weeks come from teams with 1st-round caliber RBs (ARI, CHI, DAL, PIT) and teams that score a lot and run a lot (ATL, KC, NE). That's ... not exactly a surprise.

What would be interesting to see - and I doubt that there's any good way to search for it - would be "teams with the most RB1 weekly finishes by RBs who didn't lead the team in rushing that season". Or something like that. Basically teasing out how likely it is that any random guy can step into a good situation and give you a chance at RB1 production, because that's really what we're after here.

I think Kamara is the top add this week if he's available. Becoming more and more involved with that offense. He'll easily get 5-10 targets/game and looked good on his few rushing attempts.
PPR sure. I wouldn't feel great about starting him in standard.

A. Ellington.  That o-line looks horrid and I think that his value in PPR will remain constant until DJ returns.  Low floor guy with upside in PPR.  Since his role is defined, it's less of a headache than some other options.  

Knock that McKissic momentum down a peg

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he expects C.J. Prosise (ankle) to return Week 5.

Carroll said he would be "shocked" if Prosise did not return. The coach is not always the most reliable source when it comes to injury, but that wording means Prosise is very likely to play. It is a blow to the waiver wire hopes of J.D. McKissic.
Not only that, but Carroll pretty much said Lacy will get the first crack at early down carries over Rawls.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Deshaun Watson as a QB pick up?  There's been a lot of QB duds and poor offenses and our league QB's score more than most leagues.  I'm debating dropping Eli Manning for him.

Looking to fill in for Cook. There are a lot of decent RB WW options (I'm second in WW order), but no slam dunks. Hard to rank them all since they all have downsides. I like pass-catching backs, even in non-PPR. Ellington, Kamara (RBBC), Duke Johnson (better than Crowell at least), Latavius (good?), Collins (RBBC). Since their roles are clear, I lean toward Duke and Ellington, though I'm not jazzed about either. Kamara and Murray are tempting. At least I have a couple days to gather intel and mull.

Eli Rogers was a healthy scratch yesterday.  I think JuJu has surpassed him on the depth chart
FWIW - Announcers commented on how much Big Ben and the coaches like JuJu yesterday. Has a lot to do with his physical style of play (willingness to block) and drew comparisons to Hines Ward.

WHELP THAT LACY HYPE LASTED LIKE 2 SECONDS

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll seemed to hint Thomas Rawls will be the lead back with Chris Carson (ankle) sidelined.

Rawls was a healthy scratch Week 4, and Eddie Lacy stepped up with 52 yards on 11 carries. Carroll said Lacy "looked good" and needs "more carries to get going," but his comments on Rawls suggests he sees him as the starter. "With Chris being banged up, we’re so fortunate to have Thomas ready to jump back out there," Carroll said. "We’re just lucky that we have a guy like that who’s ready to go and is healthy and all that." With J.D. McKissic breaking out and C.J. Prosise likely back this week, this backfield looks like a headache.
Ok eff this, way too much uncertainty now.... If you're lucky Rawls was dropped in your league but he still should be on rosters.

Skimmed the thread so haven't seen every post but nobody's mentioned Smallwood? I know Blount had a big day yesterday but Smallwood seems to me the RB closest to filling the Sproles role and I still think that's the role that will have the most consistent value in this offense. 

WHELP THAT LASTED LIKE 2 SECONDS

Ok eff this. Way too many guys now.... If you're lucky Rawls was dropped in your league but he still should be on rosters.
Prosise is the RB I'd most interested in if he was dropped in leagues or undrafted. He's a massive injury risk but the Seahawks will likely have throw it a ton and he's an explosive receiving RB.

Skimmed the thread so haven't seen every post but nobody's mentioned Smallwood? I know Blount had a big day yesterday but Smallwood seems to me the RB closest to filling the Sproles role and I still think that's the role that will have the most consistent value in this offense. 
I would imagine Smallwood was long picked up ago in all but the smallest of leagues.

WHELP THAT LACY HYPE LASTED LIKE 2 SECONDS

Ok eff this, way too much uncertainty now.... If you're lucky Rawls was dropped in your league but he still should be on rosters.
You are going to see them both....same way you saw the backs used last night. With that said.... Rawls is made of glass. 

Yeah Smallwood is long gone in most leagues.  I picked up Jones from the Packers before blind bidding started, but I'm thinking of dropping him for Kamara or Rawls.  Also considering going after Deshaun Watson but not sure if I want to drop Manning for him.

Adam Levitan‏Verified account @adamlevitan  5m5 minutes ago

More

20-year-old Juju Smith-Schuster has been in on 75% of the total snaps and 89% of Big Ben's dropbacks over the last two weeks.
But what % of targets? And what % were caught? I don't really care if someone is on the field if he's not getting open and receiving targets. 

Watson seems to be the QB WW darling this week, but he gets KC next week.  That might put some cold water on his upside, at least for the upcoming week. Future schedule doesn't look too bad though:

• vs. CLE
  • BYE
  • @ SEA
  • vs. IND
  • @ LAR
  • vs. ARI
  • @ BAL
  • @ TEN

Watson seems to be the QB WW darling this week, but he gets KC next week.  That might put some cold water on his upside, at least for the upcoming week. Future schedule doesn't look too bad though:

• vs. CLE
  • BYE
  • @ SEA
  • vs. IND
  • @ LAR
  • vs. ARI
  • @ BAL
  • @ TEN
His running ability should help him avoid too many pitfalls. If he runs for 30-40 that's nearly a TD pass in most leagues. So if he just throws one TD with 200 or so yards (a poor day by most standards these days) with 30-40 yards he shouldn't kill you. Mobile QBs carry a higher floor in most instances. 

McGuire 

Galman

Run JDMc 

Ellington (in shallower leagues)

Collins (in shallower leagues)

Foreman 

A Jones

JuJu (Pitt)

McKinnon.Murray (shallower leagues)

Kamara (Shallow leagues)

Nit in that  order, but guys worth a look...I expect this will be a busy week on the wire

This Rawls vs Lacy coach speak is all horse ####. It's neither of them, it's not Prosise either and it's probably not JDM. If I put it in percentage chances, I'd say 10% Lacy, 5% JDM, 85% fantasy sink hole. That offensive line actually got worse this weekend and let's be honest, Carson wasn't having a great game against the Colts anyway. It's fools gold. Spend on the 3rd down guys if you like but otherwise, let someone else waste their time. The only reason to have Rawls or Lacy on your roster come waiver day is because you got them completely free or you already had them as a speculative pick up. Otherwise:

1. Kamara - That backfield is clear, Ingram is the thumper with Kamara spelling him and Kamara is the 3rd down/pass catcher with Ingram spelling him. Peterson is a charity case. He should be added in most places but is #1 if not.

2. Ellington - Maybe this is going out on a limb but he was considered the heir to this offense 3 years ago and is a good player when healthy. They obviously want to do the patented DJ dump off, Ellington is the closest they have to DJ. Add in that the WR corps are generally unhealthy and erratic right now, Ellington is a priority add and would be number 1 if I thought he would score more.

3. Murray - Gets the nod for me because of his TD potential. Murray hasn't been spectacular in the NFL but he's serciveable and got paid to come to Minny. McKinnon hasn't gotten it done in years and while it may not be his fault, it will get held against him.

4. Gallman - NYG sucks and have been losing so time to see what you have with the rookie because lord knows you can't get any worse than their RBs have been. He's one that you may be able to sneak for free in smaller league I feel because he's not getting talked up and is on a bad team. If we knew he was the starter going forward or at least getting a shot, I'd put him at 3.

5. McKinnon - He is a good 3rd down back and he will have SOME opportunity to maybe be the guy. I'm still betting on Murray but I'd put in a lesser bid on McKinnon as a wait and see. Be prepared to wait though, I doubt this shakes out in one week and if it is going to shake out in his favor, it definitely won't be for a week or 2 at least.

6. Jones - He could be as high as 3 for me depending on your needs and the news. If he starts, then it's about whether or not you need a rental because you are in a tight spot for byes or trying to just stop the bleeding. He will not win the job away from TyMont. Even if he averages 8 ypc, he still won't be a feature back because TyMont is exceptional in the passing game.

7. Charles Clay - Not one to want to spend FAAB or priority on this position but he looks to be one of the difference makers in a position of need this year. Spend based on your need but I wouldn't put him any higher than 3rd on this list. I'd rather go empty at the position than take him over those 2.

I'm not trying to make McKinnon out to be anything more than he is but the "bum" tag doesn't fit. He closed out last season with 5 receptions or more in five of his last six games. The only game he didn't get 5 (Week 17) he caught three, 110 total yards and a TD. He was a damn good RB3 in PPR down the stretch last season. 

I'm not trying to make McKinnon out to be anything more than he is but the "bum" tag doesn't fit. He closed out last season with 5 receptions or more in five of his last six games. The only game he didn't get 5 (Week 17) he caught three, 110 total yards and a TD. He was a damn good RB3 in PPR down the stretch last season. 
Riddick with TD upside. He's by no means a bad player in his role but I think after all these years, his role is now clearly defined. He is a fine 3rd down back and that's just about it.

Sounds like McKinnon and Murray are going to tie their bum legs together and 3 legged foot race their way to the 3 ypc average Vikings fans have come to expect

I'm staying away from the Vikings backfield. With Cook out I'll hope to get by with Bell, Martin, & Mixon.

Picking up Collins - zero upside in PPR but gotta love what he's flashed so far - and Aaron Jones. I suspect the latter is a short term fix. I have low expectations for both.

I'm staying away from the Vikings backfield. With Cook out I'll hope to get by with Bell, Martin, & Mixon.

Picking up Collins - zero upside in PPR but gotta love what he's flashed so far - and Aaron Jones. I suspect the latter is a short term fix. I have low expectations for both.
They tried to get a few passes to him but couldn't connect. If he can hold onto the ball they may continue to try and get their most explosive player the ball through ground and air

zftcg said:
Anyone looking at TEs? There are surprisingly some good ones available in my 16-teamer. I've been using Watson while Eifert is out, and he's been fine, but thinking Engram or ASJ might be better options.
Thought about this some more. Engram is definitely looking like a good ROS pickup. But ASJ gets Cleveland next week, which looks like it's on track to be this year's "start your TE against them no matter what" team. 

So far, James, Watson and Kroft have all had gone ham vs the Browns (though Doyle put up a stinker last week). These patterns always hold until they don't, and on balance, I think I'd still rather have Engram, but if he's gone already, ASJ is a great Week 5 streamer and also a decent option ROS.

I figure he might get me something back if someone is desperate
Trades are tough in my league.  People always over value their own players. I would want a nice RB for Rodgers.  If I couldn't get one picking up Watson would kinda suck

Thought about this some more. Engram is definitely looking like a good ROS pickup. But ASJ gets Cleveland next week, which looks like it's on track to be this year's "start your TE against them no matter what" team.

So far, James, Watson and Kroft have all had gone ham vs the Browns (though Doyle put up a stinker last week). These patterns always hold until they don't, and on balance, I think I'd still rather have Engram, but if he's gone already, ASJ is a great Week 5 streamer and also a decent option ROS.
Given how brutal TE has been so far, hard to imagine Engram on waivers in many leagues at this point.

Trades are tough in my league.  People always over value their own players. I would want a nice RB for Rodgers.  If I couldn't get one picking up Watson would kinda suck
I'm willing to throw in some 2nd tier guys like a Cobb to get a really good player back. Was targeting the Carr owner. He has Antonio Brown. Might be too steep an ask.

Riddick with TD upside. He's by no means a bad player in his role but I think after all these years, his role is now clearly defined. He is a fine 3rd down back and that's just about it.
It's probably clearly defined on this Vikings team but I still think he could do more with opportunity and Murray is a guy who could underwhelm.

McKinnon performed pretty well with his initial chance when AP got hurt. Last year he racked up catches late in the season but earlier in the year was kind of a write off due to how terrible the O-line was and he had an ankle injury that he was playing through as well. Then you had the Vikings' bizarre obsession with giving Asiata carries, and the situtation was never really that great. It might not be much better now, even with Cook gone, but I still think he could do more if a team really committed to him. The Vikings don't seem to be that team though and maybe it's just not on the cards at this point. He's far from a JAG though IMO.

And Murray claims his ankle still isn't 100% from the off season surgery. 
That is not quite what he said. He said something to the effect you are never 100 percent.  I think he just meant football players are always banged up, but he says he is ready to go. 

The stuff available in our league on waiver wire:

Lacy/Rawls/McKissic mess 

McGuire

Collins

Emannual.

Trying to convince myself someone in here is worth burning a decent ww position. (4th) 

Users who are viewing this thread