What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hello group....my name is Opie... (3 Viewers)

And they won’t criticize him...even for some of the most despicable stuff.  It’s laughable to claim funding now is making up for him lying his way out of service.

Lots of people thought that it was a terrible war and weren't fans.  The difference between Vietnam and WWI was the fact that Vietnam was a political war and combat decisions on the field were made by politicians.  It was waged (and had been going on long before we entered it), simply to keep a democratic presence in SE Asia.  It was a political war.  WWII was a war to stop a tyrant from taking over the world.

This is an absolutely true statement.  When people found that a relative was going to Vietnam, they had to find it in an atlas. 
I've already made the comparison between the two wars above.

I really don't know the context of this statement but all I can figure is...what else could he have said? 
He claimed that he would have willingly fought in a war that he supported....the view of many who avoided service in Vietnam...saying that they would have served in WWII based on the differences between the two wars.  Having not served, he feels that he has those military men in mind when he gives them the weapons that they need to come home alive.

I think that he's right.  Being the Commander in Chief, a person can do much more for the military than a grunt carrying a rifle.

I really do not see anything wrong or untrue about his comments.
The war being unpopular at the end is true. Trump is old enough he could have served well before end of that war.

From who?  If that is directed at me...there will never be an answer.  He knows this as he has been told several time s I won’t read or respond to his posts.  Yet he follows me around daily it seems.
It's a message board. You post in threads that people read. RW posts in many threads as do you. Replying to something you write isn't "following" you around. Check your ego at the door as well as the board cop shtick.

Mile High said:
The war being unpopular at the end is true. Trump is old enough he could have served well before end of that war.
...and so could have Bill Clinton.

Like I said...I don't judge people for not serving.  Everyone has their reasons.

Barack Obama was born about the same time that I was.  He didn't serve.
I just think that it's funny that some people judge others for their decision while failing to judge others for making the same decision.

Most posting here didn't serve a day yet, they reap the benefits that the country offers....I"m sure that they have their reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ramblin Wreck said:
Seems you shouldn't be so demanding others answer questions (and you call them trolls when they don't) when you aren't willing to answer yourself.  Be better.
There is something about trolls and aliases that just fascinates 'nuff.

He's been claiming that Opie is an alias....even after almost 3 years and over 2,500 posts.

As a matter of fact, at one time or another, 'nuff accuses just about everyone who joins the board of being an alias....if they don't agree with him.
If not an alias...then a troll.....either or both.

I don't understand why he does it....I've just learned to expect it from him.

...and so could have Bill Clinton.

Like I said...I don't judge people for not serving.  Everyone has their reasons.

Barack Obama was born about the same time that I was.  He didn't serve.
I just think that it's funny that some people judge others for their decision while failing to judge others for making the same decision.

Most posting here didn't serve a day...I"m sure that they have their reasons.
You seem like a smart guy,  you do understand there is a difference between not serving and dogging drafts with BS medical conditions right?   Now I understand his desire to not serve and don't hold it against him, as you point out tens of thousands also did.  Where he steps in it is by criticizing those that did serve as "losers" for getting caught, etc.   He was a coward (which again I understand and don't judge him for) who now wants to act like he was brave.  All of this lines up with all of his actions as a bully. 

You seem like a smart guy,  you do understand there is a difference between not serving and dogging drafts with BS medical conditions right?   Now I understand his desire to not serve and don't hold it against him, as you point out tens of thousands also did.  Where he steps in it is by criticizing those that did serve as "losers" for getting caught, etc.   He was a coward (which again I understand and don't judge him for) who now wants to act like he was brave.  All of this lines up with all of his actions as a bully. 
Claiming BS medical conditions or not...his (and others') made the decision not to serve.  Some may have been more clever about it but it all comes down to a decision made by that individual.

There were those who were there, got cut by a beer tab and then got their American Foreign Service officer daddy to get him home because of their massive and numerous injuries......and then threw his Good Conduct Medal over the walls of the White House in protest...and then run for POTUS on his war record.....(ie....John Kerry)

I must have missed those criticisms by those who now criticize President Trump. 

I'm talking "Selective Outrage".

There is something about trolls and aliases that just fascinates 'nuff.

He's been claiming that Opie is an alias....even after almost 3 years and over 2,500 posts.

As a matter of fact, at one time or another, 'nuff accuses just about everyone who joins the board of being an alias....if they don't agree with him.
If not an alias...then a troll.....either or both.

I don't understand why he does it....I've just learned to expect it from him.
First...to slightly respond to what RW said...yes, I should answer questions myself.  And I do when asked by those I respond to and read.  When I have someone on ignore...I won't respond to them or read their posts unless they are quoted...so why in the world would I answer their questions.  Seems foolish to expect someone to answer questions of posts they don't even see.

Im quite sure you are likely an alias given your posts here.  Its not fascination, its an observation based on behavior and posting.

In addition...no, I don't accuse people of being aliases unless they engage in such behavior to make me (and seemingly others think they are).  The trolling again is based on posting style and things...its not about disagreeing with me.  For example...this thread that started by you taking joy in a group of people's reaction to the election.  That does not seem to have been in good faith but meant to get a reaction from people.  That is the very definition of trolling.  Posting not to discuss or start discussion, but to get a reaction from others.

That said...you have also made other non-trolling posts from time to time.  This thread though, wasn't one of those.

First...to slightly respond to what RW said...yes, I should answer questions myself.  And I do when asked by those I respond to and read.  When I have someone on ignore...I won't respond to them or read their posts unless they are quoted...so why in the world would I answer their questions.  Seems foolish to expect someone to answer questions of posts they don't even see.

Im quite sure you are likely an alias given your posts here.  Its not fascination, its an observation based on behavior and posting.

In addition...no, I don't accuse people of being aliases unless they engage in such behavior to make me (and seemingly others think they are).  The trolling again is based on posting style and things...its not about disagreeing with me.  For example...this thread that started by you taking joy in a group of people's reaction to the election.  That does not seem to have been in good faith but meant to get a reaction from people.  That is the very definition of trolling.  Posting not to discuss or start discussion, but to get a reaction from others.

That said...you have also made other non-trolling posts from time to time.  This thread though, wasn't one of those.
Well, there ya go Inspector...you've solved the crime.

Now, all you have to do is to expose everyone who behaves and posts counter to you.

Have at it!!

....and I challenge you to find a single post where I actually accused anyone of being a troll......unless it was in a sarcastic response to another "troll" post.
(and I don't know if I've ever even done that)

Well, there ya go Inspector...you've solved the crime.

Now, all you have to do is to expose everyone who behaves and posts counter to you.

Have at it!!

....and I challenge you to find a single post where I actually accused anyone of being a troll......unless it was in a sarcastic response to another "troll" post.
(and I don't know if I've ever even done that)
Its not about counter to me...its about actions when they reply to me or show to be flat out trolling from the start.  When one of your first actions was to start a thread like this...its not hard to think what you came here for wasn't honest discussion.

What do I care if you accused people of trolling or not?

Claiming BS medical conditions or not...his (and others') made the decision not to serve.  Some may have been more clever about it but it all comes down to a decision made by that individual.

There were those who were there, got cut by a beer tab and then got their American Foreign Service officer daddy to get him home because of their massive and numerous injuries......and then threw his Good Conduct Medal over the walls of the White House in protest...and then run for POTUS on his war record.....(ie....John Kerry)

I have have more respect for him if he owned up to why he got deferments to the draft instead of made up excuses 40 years later. None of the reasons he gave to Morgan applied when he was first eligible for the draft. Admit you were a rich kid that's how you got out of being drafted. 

I have have more respect for him if he owned up to why he got deferments to the draft instead of made up excuses 40 years later. None of the reasons he gave to Morgan applied when he was first eligible for the draft. Admit you were a rich kid that's how you got out of being drafted. 
Trump can't tell the truth.  I think his head would explode if he actually tried too.  He'd be a stuttering mess just trying to spew out the words.

That’s a pretty rose colored glasses approach. But hey I’m sure you would have had the exact same response to Obama or Hillary if they had said the same things Trump’s said.  There absolutely no way your pro Trump stance is swaying your opinion.  

That’s a pretty rose colored glasses approach. But hey I’m sure you would have had the exact same response to Obama or Hillary if they had said the same things Trump’s said.  There absolutely no way your pro Trump stance is swaying your opinion.  
and there is no way your anti-Trump stance is swaying yours.

You seem to be okay with Obama never serving....and then gutting our military. 

Your pro-Obama stance will never sway your opinion on that either.

So, what's your point?

So, what's your point?
Be specific and back this up...in what way did Obama gut the military.  Please none of the usual Trump talking points...specific examples would be nice.

So, what's your point?
You’re making assumptions based on my dislike of Trump.  For the record I was massively disappointed in Obama for a great many things and would not be classified as Pro-Obama.  And again for the record, if he had trashed MaCain the way Trump did be damn well sure I’d feel the same way I do about Trump doing it. 

Also you’re not reading what I’m writing, I don’t have an issue with the lack of service by Trump, I take issue with his comments on those who have served.  I’d like to think that faced with a similar circumstance of going to fight a war that I would rise to the occasion but truth be told I’m not sure I would and can completely understand using connections to get out of the possibility of dying.  The difference is I acknowledge that and also have the highest level of respect for those that go and do it.  Unlike Trump.

Since you asked, my point is party affiliations should not color opinion, which it clearly does for you (and those on the left who are like you just on the other side).     

The defensiveness in your response also proves my point. You wouldn’t have reacted the same to Obama or Hillary acting the same as Trump has.  

Opie said:
Lots of people thought that it was a terrible war and weren't fans.  The difference between Vietnam and WWI was the fact that Vietnam was a political war and combat decisions on the field were made by politicians.  It was waged (and had been going on long before we entered it), simply to keep a democratic presence in SE Asia.  It was a political war.  WWII was a war to stop a tyrant from taking over the world.

This is an absolutely true statement.  When people found that a relative was going to Vietnam, they had to find it in an atlas. 

I really don't know the context of this statement but all I can figure is...what else could he have said? 
He claimed that he would have willingly fought in a war that he supported....the view of many who avoided service in Vietnam...saying that they would have served in WWII based on the differences between the two wars.  Having not served, he feels that he has those military men in mind when he gives them the weapons that they need to come home alive.

I think that he's right.  Being the Commander in Chief, a person can do much more for the military than a grunt carrying a rifle.

Whimper Fi!

Bob Mueller was a decorated Marine. He didn't throw his medals over the wall, he didn't make public apologies. He's an honorable man and a Marine who fought damned hard for his country.

And yet, throughout his five-decade career, that year of combat experience with the Marines has loomed large in Mueller’s mind. “I’m most proud the Marines Corps deemed me worthy of leading other Marines,” he told me in a 2009 interview.
I wish you could stand on your own principles in comparing these two men.

Opie said:

You don't actually believe him about that do you?  I mean, come on.  

Be specific and back this up...in what way did Obama gut the military.  Please none of the usual Trump talking points...specific examples would be nice.
Cut spending on new aircrafts, ships, vehicles, and equipment. Reduced military manpower and cutback on training leaving our troops less flexible and capable. 

He is also associated with forcing out senior (battle tested) leadership and replacing them with "yes men" leaders.

I wouldn't say Obama gutted the military, but he didn't leave it in better shape than he found it. 

Cut spending on new aircrafts, ships, vehicles, and equipment. Reduced military manpower and cutback on training leaving our troops less flexible and capable. 

He is also associated with forcing out senior (battle tested) leadership and replacing them with "yes men" leaders.

I wouldn't say Obama gutted the military, but he didn't leave it in better shape than he found it. 
Overall spending came down after record highs post 9/11.

He is associated with?  So again we get no specifics and a full post of talking points.  Awesome.

Here is a nice long military times article filled with facts.  Just read it.  I was trying to summarize for you but go ahead.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2017/01/08/the-obama-era-is-over-here-s-how-the-military-rates-his-legacy/
The article didn't address the claims you made (so not sure how you were summarizing it by saying things the article didn’t).

The article was also mostly an opinion piece with good information of the opinions of the troops. So thanks for that.

auspices. If an organization authorizes you to do a specific task, even if you don't work for them directly, you are working under their auspices. 
Auspices means endorsement.

It certainly isn't a word that I've ever used in conversation

But then again...neither is, Covfefe.

He would have been better off pledging  to cure cancer if elected.

auspices. If an organization authorizes you to do a specific task, even if you don't work for them directly, you are working under their auspices. 
Auspices means endorsement.

It certainly isn't a word that I've ever used in conversation

But then again...neither is, Covfefe.

He would have been better off pledging  to cure cancer if elected.
Thanks for the response. I’m not talking about his vocabulary.

I’m talking about Trump saying he would not have the CIA spy on Kim Jung Un. It’s in the video.

Thanks for the response. I’m not talking about his vocabulary.

I’m talking about Trump saying he would not have the CIA spy on Kim Jung Un. It’s in the video.
I dunno...I think that the video pertains to his half-brother, Kim Jung-Nam, who was assassinated at an airport or something...not spying.

One of Kim Jung Un's biggest fears is being assassinated. 
I'm guessing that in order to ease that tension, President Trump is saying that he wouldn't do that.

What else would he say?  (not that he isn't thinking it)

"Amateurs....now if I would have had him killed, I would have done it better and he'd be deader"...or...

"Don't worry Kim, buddy....you'll never see it coming".

I dunno...I think that the video pertains to his half-brother who was assassinated at a train station or something...not spying.

One of Kim Jung Un's biggest fears is being assassinated. 
I'm guessing that in order to ease that tension, President Trump is saying that he wouldn't do that.

What else would he say?  (not that he isn't thinking it)

"Amateurs....now if I would have had him killed, I would have done it better and he'd be deader"...or...

"Don't worry Kim, buddy....you'll never see it coming".
KJU murdered his brother.

The report is that the CIA was in contact with KJU’s brother and was using him as an intelligence asset, so Trump is saying he would never have the CIA spy on KJU.

KJU murdered his brother.

The report is that the CIA was in contact with KJU’s brother and was using him as an intelligence asset, so Trump is saying he would never have the CIA spy on KJU.
Oh, ok....uhm....big deal?  

Are you upset because you believe him or that he lied to Kim Jung-Un?

Oh, ok....uhm....big deal?  

Are you upset because you believe him or that he lied to Kim Jung-Un?
I'm not upset, I can objectively look at things without being emotional, unless they really merit it.

I'm bothered that Trump seems to confirm the report, that's one thing. Another is that he seems to be saying that he is indeed saying (it's on tv) that he won't do so - maybe this is a basic value judgement for me vs what you believe, but hell yes we should absolutely be spying on a leader who is aiming nuclear weapons at us.

And I'd be bothered if it meant we were doing diplomacy by lying to the people we are engaging with.

None of the answers are good.

I would expert our government to be spying on KJU and I would expect our government to publicly deny it if asked.

Users who are viewing this thread