What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL NFC CHAMPIONSHIP THREAD*** Eagles going to the Bowl!!!! (1 Viewer)

27-13 Vikings win
The Eagles give up 12 at home but somehow the Vikings are going to more than double that? Ok....

This is the shizza I'm talking about. No Eagles fan is predicting a double digit win but several of you Vikings fans seem to think you're going to buck all the trends and come in here and not only win but win big. Balderdash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok man. They gave up 31. Just saying. And isn't every TD the result of a defensive breakdown? 

Foles may not be Newton, but the offense is studded with pro bowlers on the line, probowl TE and a better stable of WRs and RBs then the Panthers. 

And we we are at home.

AND I don't think your offense has faced a defense as good as ours. Again, I see it 50/50 and it makes me salty that people think not only will your team win but it won't be even close. 
I thought Mn fans were supposed to be the sensitive ones? 

I thought Mn fans were supposed to be the sensitive ones? 
Are you kidding? I don't know about "sensitive" but we are about as defensive as you'll find. How would you like to have that fuccin snow ball story jammed down your gullet for 50 years? Of course we have a complex. 

And we we wouldn't want it any other way.

WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!  :lol:

Agholor needs to have a big game.  His match-up against Newman is the closest to a plus-match in this game.  Vaitai needs to play as perfect a game as he can and I still think they absolutely need to give him help.  Everson Griffen will eat him alive otherwise.  Fetcher is the best player on the field this Sunday.  He and Jernigan need to put serious pressure up the middle and if they do Keenum will back-peddle and make mistakes.  I've been saying it for weeks now, but home field advantage is a real thing in Philly again.  Add in the slower turf. the crowd noise, this defense and I think we shut them down.  Think we definitely get a couple of turnovers and a def TD.  Also think we shut down their offense.  

Foles just needs to have a mistake free game-the team can't repeat the Atlanta game and expect to win.  Think Doug leans on the run even more this week.  Ajayi has yet to carry more than 15 times this season and I think that changes this week.  20+ carries for him as they pound away at the defense.  I don't think they are going to do a lot on the ground, but they will eat clock and sustain drives.  Think it comes down to Elliot making a critical FG.  

Final score:  Eagles 17-Vikings 16

Are you kidding? I don't know about "sensitive" but we are about as defensive as you'll find. How would you like to have that fuccin snow ball story jammed down your gullet for 50 years? Of course we have a complex. 

And we we wouldn't want it any other way.

WE ALL WE GOT! WE ALL WE NEED!  :lol:
:lol:  

Agholor needs to have a big game.  His match-up against Newman is the closest to a plus-match in this game.  Vaitai needs to play as perfect a game as he can and I still think they absolutely need to give him help.  Everson Griffen will eat him alive otherwise.  Fetcher is the best player on the field this Sunday.  He and Jernigan need to put serious pressure up the middle and if they do Keenum will back-peddle and make mistakes.  I've been saying it for weeks now, but home field advantage is a real thing in Philly again.  Add in the slower turf. the crowd noise, this defense and I think we shut them down.  Think we definitely get a couple of turnovers and a def TD.  Also think we shut down their offense.  

Foles just needs to have a mistake free game-the team can't repeat the Atlanta game and expect to win.  Think Doug leans on the run even more this week.  Ajayi has yet to carry more than 15 times this season and I think that changes this week.  20+ carries for him as they pound away at the defense.  I don't think they are going to do a lot on the ground, but they will eat clock and sustain drives.  Think it comes down to Elliot making a critical FG.  

Ajayi was looking great last week besides the fumble in the first half and then disappeared I guess because of game script.  I thought he was hurt or something he was gone so long.  Then when he returned he didn't do anything until the screen.  He needs the rock

The strength of the Vikings D is 3rd down defense.  They are historically good at this so eating clock and sustaining drives will be the key if Eagles are to win.  I just don't think Foles is good enough to do that in 3rd and 5+.

The strength of the Vikings D is 3rd down defense.  They are historically good at this so eating clock and sustaining drives will be the key if Eagles are to win.  I just don't think Foles is good enough to do that in 3rd and 5+.
Yes, thats why I think its a key for them to win.  Foles is good enough to do what he needs to do as long as Doug is good enough to call a great game.  I have faith.  

I'm sure the falcons thought the same thing.  Foles had several long drives last week converting multiple third down s.   Can he do it again?

I'm sure the falcons thought the same thing.  Foles had several long drives last week converting multiple third down s.   Can he do it again?
The Falcons don't have a historically great 3rd down conversion percentage.  That's not a great comparison.

Gally said:
The Vikings defensive 3rd down conversion rate for 2017 is 27.18% on the road. The Eagles defensive 3rd down conversion rate for 2017 is 27.12% at home. Looks like the key will be both teams being able to convert on 3rd down against tough defenses. Who knew?

I think the Vikes are in for a big challenge on the road against a great defense. Best chance is for our own defense to force Foles into making some costly turnovers. I'm going to be pretty bummed if we lose after that amazing last second win last week. At the same time, it's hard to believe we can actually win and go to the big game. I'm a little too young to remember the last time we were there in 77 (born in 73). Win another one for Millie and bring it home!

That angry philly fan stuff is so freaking dumb. 
I tend to agree.  I've never been to a game in Philly, but I've been to a number of Viking away games over the years.  News flash:  visiting team fans get treated like absolute trash EVERYWHERE.  Philadelphia does not have the market cornered on antagonistic home crowds.

I tend to agree.  I've never been to a game in Philly, but I've been to a number of Viking away games over the years.  News flash:  visiting team fans get treated like absolute trash EVERYWHERE.  Philadelphia does not have the market cornered on antagonistic home crowds.
Yea, not sure why some philly fans seem to embrace it (I know there are a lot that don’t too).  There are drunk idiots everywhere, it’s nothing special. I Was listening to some philly sports talk radio this week, the hosts of the show I was listening too seemed to embrace it too.  

yeah come to Detroit and see how people treat you 

It's kind of weird actually because both teams have the exact same game plan. Force the mediocre QB to make mistakes with their great defense. And try to limit their own mediocre QBs mistakes.

Yea, not sure why some philly fans seem to embrace it (I know there are a lot that don’t too).  There are drunk idiots everywhere, it’s nothing special. I Was listening to some philly sports talk radio this week, the hosts of the show I was listening too seemed to embrace it too.  
Mainly because the national media loves to harp on it.  (Santa, for example.)  When two identical, horrible incidents happen in two different stadiums, it only gets reported when it happens in Philly.  So after a while you say screw it and embrace it.

Now...maybe.  Put those goons from the old 700 level were the stuff of psycopathic, degenerate fan legend.

I don't think any team has ever had a court in their stadium/arena except for Philly.  They didn't put it there to process traffic violations.....
Think again.

ETA: actually you may be right about the court, although at one point half the stadiums in the league had a jail or holding cell.

need2know said:
the TD drive they had was impressive. it was a lot of Ajayi strong running on the 1st or 2nd down though

Please, please don't judge Philadelphia fans by the sport radio and the callers they get. I tried listening a few times this week, it is truly unbearable. I must have heard 3 callers call in and mention how "dog" (since underdog is the theme) spelled backwards is God, so now they are going to win. And it is insane how far overboard some fans have gone with Wentz. I love the kid and think he will have a great career, but the people who call into the sports radio are just a weird minority of fan. People were asking if Wentz should help the team by designing plays and sitting in coaches meetings to help play calls  :loco:

Was getting ready for Sunday's game all week, and last night was catching up on this season of "Vikings" to get an idea of the opponent. Saw a "Skol" cheers or 2, but to be honest without their man (Ragnor) not too worried about the Vikings. Eagles got this:

Phi - 42

Minny -15

Please, please don't judge Philadelphia fans by the sport radio and the callers they get. I tried listening a few times this week, it is truly unbearable. I must have heard 3 callers call in and mention how "dog" (since underdog is the theme) spelled backwards is God, so now they are going to win. And it is insane how far overboard some fans have gone with Wentz. I love the kid and think he will have a great career, but the people who call into the sports radio are just a weird minority of fan. People were asking if Wentz should help the team by designing plays and sitting in coaches meetings to help play calls  :loco:
One of the stations actually said once that only 1 in 100 listeners actually call in. And if you haven't noticed, the majority of callers are regular nimrods. Just like any fan base, you will have about 10% be obnoxious to down right insane. By and large, Philly fans are knolwlegable and passionate of course. If you want to listen to cogent talk, catch Ray Didenger on the weekends on 94.1. I kinda can't stand the host, Glen McNow (I think he's quite rude at times) but Ray is a Hall of Fame writer and a fountain of information and a gentleman.

ETA: the second part of my paragraph is directed at Vikings fans wanting to listen to some philly radio that's actually fair and balanced. Obviously the homers on here know all about some of the nitwits on local radio LOL.

Keep up these predictions, guys.  It's helping me stave off the deep emotional investment that has begun to creep in despite my best efforts to remain detached. 

Agholor needs to have a big game.  His match-up against Newman is the closest to a plus-match in this game. 
I think Newman is a better player than Agholor. So while this be something the Eagles need, and maybe this is the closes't to a plus match up for your receivers, I don't think it is a plus match up. Newman played on 56% of the defensive snaps for the Vikings this year, so he is on the field a lot. He is 12th in total number of snaps for Vikings defenders on the year.

Mckenzie Alexander is the weakest corner the Vikings might play. He did not practice on Friday however and listed as questionable with a rib injury he has been dealing with for 3-4 weeks now (sort of seems like he should be healed by now to me, but maybe not). He has played 32% of the defensive snaps. Occasionally he has been in the line up over Newman, but most of the time he plays when the Vikings go with 4 corners. 

If Alexander doesn't play the Vikings 4th corner would be Marcus Sherels or Trumane Brock. 

Ertz against a linebacker may the Eagles best match up in the passing game. Foles just needs to look somewhere else when Harrison Smith is in the area.

As far as an offensive player the Eagles have who concerns me the most, I think it is Jay Ajayi. I know how good Ajayi can be. If he has some big runs it causes other problems for the defense as they have to focus more on stopping the run. I think Ajayi is good enough to overcome great defense with his runs at times. So if he does, and especially early in the game, I think that puts more pressure on the Vikings defense, maybe forcing them to play a 3rd linebacker over Newman more often.

Vaitai needs to play as perfect a game as he can and I still think they absolutely need to give him help.  Everson Griffen will eat him alive otherwise. 
This is a match up that the Vikings need to win I think. Griffen has slowed down recently, dealing with a foot injury.

In the same vein Rashod Hill needs to do a good job against Graham. I am worried about Cox as well. I think Cox may be part of the reason why the Vikings are playing Remmers at left guard. They are trying to shore up the interior blocking with that move.

LIke you I expect this to be a close game. I dunno about either defense being able to "shut down" the opposing offense, but I do expect both defenses to win more plays than the offenses will.

As far as an offensive player the Eagles have who concerns me the most, I think it is Jay Ajayi. I know how good Ajayi can be. If he has some big runs it causes other problems for the defense as they have to focus more on stopping the run. I think Ajayi is good enough to overcome great defense with his runs at times. So if he does, and especially early in the game, I think that puts more pressure on the Vikings defense, maybe forcing them to play a 3rd linebacker over Newman more often.

This is a match up that the Vikings need to win I think. Griffen has slowed down recently, dealing with a foot injury.
i didn't realize the Vikings really only use 5 DL. Granted you have some super talent there, but with them playing so many snaps all year, it sounds like they have begun to slow down the last month or so. it will be good for the Eagles to use Ajayi early to take the speed of your DEs down a bit and to continue to wear down the DTs. so hoping you are right about Ajayi, as long as he holds on to the ball!!

i didn't realize the Vikings really only use 5 DL. Granted you have some super talent there, but with them playing so many snaps all year, it sounds like they have begun to slow down the last month or so. it will be good for the Eagles to use Ajayi early to take the speed of your DEs down a bit and to continue to wear down the DTs. so hoping you are right about Ajayi, as long as he holds on to the ball!!
Tom Johnson has played more than I think is ideal. He has played the run a lot better this year, but it would be good to rest him on 1st downs with either Stephen or Jaleel Johnson. Tom Johnson is 32 years old and the run game has never been his strong suit. Playing him on running downs likely is slowing him down somewhat.

Jaleel Johnson has played in one game where Stephen was out. He is a rookie and they want experience there, but it is looking like Stephen will be out again, so perhaps they will play Jaleel Johnson more. I am not sure I have seen Jaleel Johnson and Linval Joseph too much. JJ played 20 snaps against the Bears and I just didn't notice him on the field that much in that game. The Vikings were very good against the Bears running game, however the Bears were missing one or two of their starting offensive linemen as well.

Brian Robison plays some defensive tackle, but usually only on passing downs. It is the DT who is good against the run on 1st downs role that Shamar Stephen fills or needs to be filled to keep Tom Johnson fresh. Tom Johnson has played 68% of the defensive snaps, which is perhaps a bit more than they want to.

Users who are viewing this thread