What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you prefer the Super Bowl be played the week following Championship Games or 2 Weeks later? (1 Viewer)

Would you prefer the Super Bowl be played the week following Championship Games or 2 Weeks after?

• Total voters
Am I the only person that automatically puts in to have the day after the Super Bowl off?

Also, not everybody has president's day off.....think we had to start working it when MLK day got swapped for president's day as an official observed holiday at my job.

I'm down with the two weeks but I do think it should start sooner in the day....I think part of the reason it will stay on Sunday has to do with gentlemen's agreement behind the scenes to leave Saturday for college sports viewing/NBA etc....also as Bass mentioned, the late start benefits the networks....and also allows things like the golf tournament that weekend to run it's course....

Last edited:
Prefer 2 weeks after Championship game, just so both teams can heal up and play full strength.

Also, can we please move the probowl back to the week after the Super Bowl? Right now, no players involved in the Super bowl will play in the probowl for fear of being injured. So, some serious talent is painfully absent from the event.

Prefer 2 weeks after Championship game, just so both teams can heal up and play full strength.

Also, can we please move the probowl back to the week after the Super Bowl? Right now, no players involved in the Super bowl will play in the probowl for fear of being injured. So, some serious talent is painfully absent from the event.
An event nobody cares about. Meh

From my perspective, Robert Edwards tore his ACL and the pro bowl went progressively downhill from there.
I can't believe what it's become. The added sideshows have become the main event and...I don't like it.
We had all star games in T-ball and that continued each year growing up and on TV was the pro all star games. That's how I feel it should always be.
So...this stuff instead of the Superbowl, I'm not a fan of.

Same garbage with kickoffs in the NFL. Dante Hall and Devin Hester and so many were exciting for decades. Stop telling me it's better now as if I'm some child told broccoli tastes good
The Pro Bowl is stupid and always has been. Just name honorary teams and skip the activities. Half the players skip anyway -- they don't care, so why should we?
Nah they cared some years ago.
Before free agency, adults would say imagine if those two were on a team together and stuff like that.

An event nobody cares about. Meh
Actually, that's true. I always liked watching the QB challenge segment though, and Purdy and what's his name won't be there this year.

From my perspective, Robert Edwards tore his ACL and the pro bowl went progressively downhill from there.
If I remember correctly, Edwards tore his ACL in a rookie flag football game played on the beach as part of the Pro Bowl weekend. Wasn't even voted to play in the actual game.

Happened to be in Hawaii right after the 1995 Super Bowl and decided to take in the game. Only good part of the experience was that each team had a cheerleader representing them at the game. The best of the best. Quite outstanding.
Also, in 2016 Tyler Eifert injured his ankle during the game and missed half of the following season.

But it's not just injuries. Football is a true team sport, so it was always implausible that you can throw together QBs and skill position players and lineman and have them play together as a cohesive unit -- in a game that has zero stakes and where the players are mostly focused on enjoying their vacation in Hawaii or Orlando or wherever.

I've found with all-star games across all sports that, the more they try to tinker with the format, the less I care. The original appeal of the baseball one was that, with no interleague play, it was the only opportunity outside of the World Series to see various guys face off against each other. But these days, all-star games basically serve no purpose. They can do whatever they want with the timing and the format. I'm not going to watch

And can some of you history guys refresh my memory - I know there have been years when they played the SB the week after the Championship games. Why did they do that and how did it go over?
Here's the deal and it's mind boggling how over 50% of the votes are play the SB right after the Conference Championships, that's nuts and I'll explain why
The logistics of getting all those media down there and getting the players ready to start answering questions by Tuesday is just ridiculous.
I agree that in theory it might be nice to play the game the next week like during the regular season but it gives both teams an extra week to prepare and then enjoy the week of the SB
They game planned all this week at home and when they arrive in Vegas, it's mostly fun fun fun leading up to the big game, players deserve it
Also the 2 weeks allows many fans to enjoy the Super Bowl Experience in the host city even if they do not go to the actual game.

Obviously I voted strongly for 2 weeks but mostly because I understand the logistics nightmare and have seen it first hand in Miami and Tampa Bay, both cities have gotten their fair share of Super Bowls and I've been fortunate enough to experience a lot of it.

for those saying "the 2 week wait will ensure a better game (less injuries etc), how often does a team that gets a bye week come back flying?

feel like these guys NEED to play weekly or the play actually suffers... not that Ive done a study, but I feel like that's the case

Two weeks is perfect. More time for players to rest/heal up, more time for them to acclimate to the chaos of everything surrounding the game, more time for all the events, etc. I think one week simply isn't enough time. We get a better game with the extra week of rest imo.

I do like the Saturday idea, though. We're well past needing to put it whenever is "best for ratings." It's the Super Bowl. People will watch whenever it is. Saturday at 6pm is fine. Not everyone gets President's Day off, but more people have Sundays off.

And can some of you history guys refresh my memory - I know there have been years when they played the SB the week after the Championship games. Why did they do that and how did it go over?
Here's the deal and it's mind boggling how over 50% of the votes are play the SB right after the Conference Championships, that's nuts and I'll explain why
The logistics of getting all those media down there and getting the players ready to start answering questions by Tuesday is just ridiculous.
I agree that in theory it might be nice to play the game the next week like during the regular season but it gives both teams an extra week to prepare and then enjoy the week of the SB
They game planned all this week at home and when they arrive in Vegas, it's mostly fun fun fun leading up to the big game, players deserve it
Also the 2 weeks allows many fans to enjoy the Super Bowl Experience in the host city even if they do not go to the actual game.

Obviously I voted strongly for 2 weeks but mostly because I understand the logistics nightmare and have seen it first hand in Miami and Tampa Bay, both cities have gotten their fair share of Super Bowls and I've been fortunate enough to experience a lot of it.
If media and players answering questions seemed even somewhat important, I'd agree.

I'd rather have it the following week, but I don't feel all that strongly about it. My Interest in the NFL lessens each season......and now that college football is being ruined by greed......anyway, I digress.

Where the two weeks were more of build up for me when I was more into the NFL, now it's enough time for me to pretty much lose interest completely.

If I remember correctly, Edwards tore his ACL in a rookie flag football game played on the beach as part of the Pro Bowl weekend. Wasn't even voted to play in the actual game.

Happened to be in Hawaii right after the 1995 Super Bowl and decided to take in the game. Only good part of the experience was that each team had a cheerleader representing them at the game. The best of the best. Quite outstanding.
Also, in 2016 Tyler Eifert injured his ankle during the game and missed half of the following season.

But it's not just injuries. Football is a true team sport, so it was always implausible that you can throw together QBs and skill position players and lineman and have them play together as a cohesive unit -- in a game that has zero stakes and where the players are mostly focused on enjoying their vacation in Hawaii or Orlando or wherever.

I've found with all-star games across all sports that, the more they try to tinker with the format, the less I care. The original appeal of the baseball one was that, with no interleague play, it was the only opportunity outside of the World Series to see various guys face off against each other. But these days, all-star games basically serve no purpose. They can do whatever they want with the timing and the format. I'm not going to watch
I always enjoy watching the Senior Bowl because it is an all-star game but it also matters to practice/play well in front of scouts and other coaches.

Reactions: Bri
and now that college football is being ruined by greed

College football has always had greed. It's just that now the players get a share of the money. That seems less like a move towards greed and more like a move towards equity or equitable practice, if we want to lose the term that has become racially loaded. (By that I mean "equity.")

It's equitable in the traditional sense. There is no way a billion dollar industry should have been able to avoid paying the labor of that product for so long. It was actually a humanitarian concern as far as I'm concerned.

Not greed. Fairness.

Last edited:

College football has always had greed. It's just that now the players get a share of the money. That seems less like a move towards greed and more like a move towards equity or equitable practice, if we want to lose the term that has become racially-loaded. (By that I mean "equity.")

It's equitable in the traditional sense. There is no way a billion dollar industry should have been able to avoid paying the labor of that product for so long. It was actually a humanitarian concern as far as I'm concerned.

Not greed. Fairness.
It would probably make more sense to just have a league for these guys that isn't affiliated with college. Maybe some day in the future.

It would probably make more sense to just have a league for these guys that isn't affiliated with college. Maybe some day in the future.

Not sure it'll get the audience it wants when divorced from the collegiate aspect of it. It's strange. The players need the schools and the schools need the players. There should be a way to divide up the pie. It might not suit everybody, but it won't be almost outright thievery like it was before.

College football has always had greed. It's just that now the players get a share of the money. That seems less like a move towards greed and more like a move towards equity or equitable practice, if we want to lose the term that has become racially-loaded. (By that I mean "equity.")

Not greed. Fairness.
Yea, but it's the wild west......whoever has the most money can buy the the most players. It's not what college football should be about.

It's not what college football should be about.

What should college football be about?

Because for a long time with the NCAA running things it was about a disparity of power rarely seen in that huge of an industry between employee and company. And there was restraint of trade between the companies in terms of transfer rules. It was as anti-competitive an industry as one could get. These kids were bound to these coaches in ways that beggar description. They had no bargaining power, no rights really. They had the "privilege" of a free education and little else. They were effectively denied the fruits of their labor by the courts and the NFLPA. What is that? To be eighteen and be unable to earn money for labor that is earning other people billions? That's ridiculous.

It was a horrible system.

I'm not saying that NIL doesn't have problems, but it's a whole lot fairer to the players. Whether this upsets traditional notions of college football is too bad as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm usually not a labor guy; it just seems like in this case the disparity of power and the accumulation of capital was so disparate that one could only look back and be disgusted that such a system existed.

Because for a long time with the NCAA running things it was about a disparity of power rarely seen in that huge of an industry between employee and company. And there was restraint of trade between the companies in terms of transfer rules. It was as anti-competitive an industry as one could get. These kids were bound to these coaches in ways that beggar description. They had no bargaining power, no rights really. They had the "privilege" of a free education and little else. They were effectively denied the fruits of their labor by the courts and the NFLPA. What is that? To be eighteen and be unable to earn money for labor that is earning other people billions? That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying that NIL doesn't have problems, but it's a whole lot fairer to the players. Whether this upsets traditional notions of college football is too bad as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm usually not a labor guy; it just seems like in this case the disparity of power and the accumulation of capital was so disparate that one could only look back and be disgusted that such a system existed.
Look, I'm an Oregon State alum. We are in the wilderness because of all this ****, so I'm biased. I'm still super pissed the Pac 12 fell apart.....right when our program was super healthy, and on an upward trajectory.

The TV numbers are there......yet no P5 conference wants us. We are looking at being a farm team for the schools who have more money.....and all the traditions are going away.....eff that ****

Look, I'm an Oregon State alum. We are in the wilderness because of all this ****, so I'm biased. I'm still super pissed the Pac 12 fell apart.....right when our program was super healthy, and on an upward trajectory.

Fair sentiments. That stinks that your favorite program is affected adversely by all this. I can't relate coming from the Northeast. We tend not to have universities invested in this stuff, so yeah, I take a bird's eye view of it, often forgetting that there are programs out there that are massively hurt by NIL and realignment.

I've never been a huge college football fan because of the area I grew up and the economics of how it used to be, so I can see why we'd have such conflicting views about it.

Last edited:

The TV numbers are there......yet no P5 conference wants us. We are looking at being a farm team for the schools who have more money.....and all the traditions are going away.....eff that ****
I agree. Why don't they put in a total limit of NIL money for the players on each roster ("salary cap")?

Not sure it'll get the audience it wants when divorced from the collegiate aspect of it. It's strange. The players need the schools and the schools need the players. There should be a way to divide up the pie. It might not suit everybody, but it won't be almost outright thievery like it was before.
As far as the system for players, it's 100x better than it was.
In no way do I think the SCHOOL should pay the players. However, it seems like it should be pretty easy for the players to figure out a way to make money

Fair sentiments. That stinks that your favorite program is affected adversely by all this. I can't relate coming from the Northeast. We tend not to have universities invested in this stuff, so yeah, I take a bird's eye view of it, often forgetting that there are programs out there that are massively hurt by NIL and realignment.

I've never been a huge college football fan because of the area I grew up and the economics of how it used to be, so I can see why we'd have such conflicting views about it.
I think you’re both right. The old system sucked, especially for players, and I’m glad that NIL has helped in that respect (although even there, I wonder if it disproportionately helps men who play football and basketball and women who are attractive and leaves the rest behind)..

But the trend toward consolidation is tearing the sport apart, and I don’t see it getting any better. It’s going to become Big Ten vs SEC, and everyone else might as well be playing pickup games because none of them will matter

The great thing about college football is the regional rivalries, and traditions. The TV execs do not care about any of this, unless they feel it lines their pockets more.

College football is not the NFL, and should not be trying to be the NFL.......yet that's what the TV execs want......they have everyone chasing a bag, and theres zero control over it. At least in the NFL there's a salary cap, and the bad teams get a chance to be relevant.

I guess I still have a very old school simplistic view and don't look at playing college sports as a "job" and the NCAA is the employer/boss that is making money and not having to pay it's employees.....mostly for the simple fact that nobody is forcing these students to play.....it is their choice....they knew/know what they are signing up for....they do get a free education in addition to free publicity and a platform to showcase and promote their talents....which can lead to huge paydays....:shrug:

For some the extra week is a build up. For me it's a delay. That being said, I really don't care whether it's 1, 2 or even several weeks away from the previous games. It will be played at some point and I'll be just as interested to watch it when it is played.

I do not expose myself to any pre game media though. It's easy for me to avoid the over excessive build up.

Still blows my mind how many people watch the SB just for the halftime show, and commercials...I guess it's the same people who only really know Travis Kelce because hes the guy dating Taylor Swift.

I can't remember the last HT show I watched......that's ladder golf, or cornhole time.

Last edited:
Still blows my mind how many people watch the SB just for the halftime show, and commercials...I guess it's the same people who only really know Travis Kelce because hes the guy dating Taylor Swift.

I can't remember the last HT show I watched......that's ladder golf, or cornhole time.
I usually go to a local bar for the first half and drive home during halftime. Sometimes I catch the last song.

If you keep it at 2 weeks, bring back the Playoff Bowl for the Sunday between SB and Conference Championships. Getting to see Lions and Ravens go at it would be sweet. Provide sizable player bonuses a comp 3rd round pick to the winning team to make it worthwhile to the teams to play.

Same. Usually meet up on the patio (California) with whoever wants to have a glass of tequila and avoid the halftime show talk.

I guess nobody here is interested in Radio Row and all the celebrities that are not employed or work or cover the NFL, but lots of celebrities and entertainment people pour into these Super Bowls and that is part of the big build up

You can hate it or not participate in any of it, no problem.
But to pretend that $$$ doesn't drive all this and act naive that you can go from Conference Championship to the Super Bowl in less than a week is obtuse

The WrestleMania Kickoff press conference is the Thursday before the Super Bowl in the same city as the Super Bowl, so there's that

Users who are viewing this thread