What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would you prefer the Super Bowl be played the week following Championship Games or 2 Weeks later? (1 Viewer)

Would you prefer the Super Bowl be played the week following Championship Games or 2 Weeks after?

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Would you prefer the Super Bowl be played the week following Championship Games or 2 Weeks later like it is now?

And can some of you history guys refresh my memory - I know there have been years when they played the SB the week after the Championship games. Why did they do that and how did it go over?

Think having the extra week for players to rest up and have the best chance of either appearing, or appearing at their best, is important for the biggest game of the season. In terms of moving a game, I'd much rather have them move the Pro Bowl back to after the Super Bowl (and make it an actual football game as well)

I would prefer it was played this week

I would STRONGLY PREFER IT BE PLAYED ON SATURDAY. Or if it has to be Sunday, why not like 4 pm?
I remember it starting in the early afternoon.

Super Bowls I (1967) and II (1968) started at 4pm EST. Super Bowls III (1969) through VI (1972) kicked off at 3pm EST. Super Bowl VII (1973) began at 2pm EST. This remains the earliest start time in Super Bowl history.

I would STRONGLY PREFER IT BE PLAYED ON SATURDAY. Or if it has to be Sunday, why not like 4 pm?

Super Bowls I (1967) and II (1968) started at 4pm EST. Super Bowls III (1969) through VI (1972) kicked off at 3pm EST. Super Bowl VII (1973) began at 2pm EST. This remains the earliest start time in Super Bowl history.
I think over the years they have been catering more and more to west coast viewers who probably don't want earlier starts. We see this now with all the later starts on playoff weekends, which were the standard 1pm or 4pm until the last few years.

I think they wait a week for two reasons. Allows players an extra week to rest. Allows NFL an extra week to promote. It's a non issue for me and I really don't mind the wait.

I think over the years they have been catering more and more to west coast viewers who probably don't want earlier starts. We see this now with all the later starts on playoff weekends, which were the standard 1pm or 4pm until the last few years.
Yep. I've been on the East Coast now for 3 years. Late start times for sports games is horrible. In Hawaii, i would wake up on Sundays and get coffee for a 7am NFL game start time. I would watch football in morning then enjoy my Sunday. 815 pm start time? Absolutely brutal for me.

Yep. I've been on the East Coast now for 3 years. Late start times for sports games is horrible. In Hawaii, i would wake up on Sundays and get coffee for a 7am NFL game start time. I would watch football in morning then enjoy my Sunday. 815 pm start time? Absolutely brutal for me.
Man, I loved being in Hawaii during the NFL season. My brother lived there, and we would wake up, watch some football, and head to the beach in the afternoon. Absolutely perfect.

Cant wait till we go to an 18 game schedule and the SB is played the day before Presidents Day.... Just as good as a Saturday.
I’d be fine with pushing the start of the season back a week if it meant having the Super Bowl on President’s Day weekend. That would be perfect.

Cant wait till we go to an 18 game schedule and the SB is played the day before Presidents Day.... Just as good as a Saturday.
Another benefit for the $%&@ government and bank workers. I need to petition my company to observe more holidays.

The Eagles won the Super Bowl on my wife's 29th Birthday. And for me, personally, its cool that that will never happen again with the extra game schedule and having this week off of football to do birthday stuff.

So keep it as is I say haha

Two weeks is fine.

When everyone see's how boring this Sunday is they'll appreciate having a game to look forward to.

Having that extra week to promote the game makes sense for the league and everything is just easier logistically for the fans, teams and past players. Most people probably know this but the SB is a giant NFL player alumni week including a nice party the NFL throws for all ex-players(and thankfully a guest). If anyone has ever just walked around the major parts of a city during SB week it's hard to not run into ex-players and celebs. It's not just a game, no need to treat it like one.

When it's one of your teams, one week is about all you'd want unless there's a key injury. As someone that no longer gives a hoot, I say two weeks is cool with me.

Never thought of the Saturday thing which would be awesome. Or start a little earlier. East Coast Dads all agree on this one. 6am wakeup with these late games sucks on ice.

I think the two weeks is smart. It gives them extra time for coverage and hype. You make the NFL matter 1 more week and stay on TV 1 more week. If I ran the NFL, I would keep it that way forever.

I strongly prefer just one week between games. The SB feels like an afterthought by the time it actually gets played.
Kind of where I sit on it. If your team happens to be playing, then the two weeks is fine, but otherwise, yeah, kind of lose interest by the time the game hits.

Of course it's beneficial for the NFL, so it will stay two weeks forever

Exactly this. There’s no need for a new holiday like some suggest. Just play the day before Presidents’ Day

Exactly this. There’s no need for a new holiday like some suggest. Just play the day before Presidents’ Day
Ha, came here to post this exact thought. I absolutely hate the thought of expanding to 18 games, for many, many reasons (player safety, the fact that the football season already takes up too much of my life and by the end I'm ready to be done with it, etc.) But since I know it's inevitable that the owners make that money grab, the fact that we'll get the day off after the Super Bowl is the one saving grace

Ha, came here to post this exact thought. I absolutely hate the thought of expanding to 18 games, for many, many reasons (player safety, the fact that the football season already takes up too much of my life and by the end I'm ready to be done with it, etc.) But since I know it's inevitable that the owners make that money grab, the fact that we'll get the day off after the Super Bowl is the one saving grace
👍🏽 The only way I think the 18 game schedule works for players is if you add a bye week. Which makes it a 20 week season.

This year would have been:
First game of the season Aug 31 - Sep 4
18 games, 2 bye weeks for 20 total weeks.
Playoffs start January 20.

👍🏽 The only way I think the 18 game schedule works for players is if you add a bye week. Which makes it a 20 week season.

But then you don't have the Super Bowl on President's Day, which is the only good thing about it.

I'm telling you, if it ever happens literally every single person will be waking up that Monday and thinking, "This is amazing! Why the hell didn't we do this sooner?"

Prefer a week after.

But what I prefer isn’t the right answer here. Players need rest, coaches need to prepare, etc… 2 weeks makes sense.

But then you don't have the Super Bowl on President's Day, which is the only good thing about it.

I'm telling you, if it ever happens literally every single person will be waking up that Monday and thinking, "This is amazing! Why the hell didn't we do this sooner?"

Is my counting off?
WC Jan 20-22
Division Jan 27-29
Conference Feb 4
Super Bowl Feb 18

I suppose you could push week 1 back a week and not take a week off before the SB.

Is my counting off?
WC Jan 20-22
Division Jan 27-29
Conference Feb 4
Super Bowl Feb 18

I suppose you could push week 1 back a week and not take a week off before the SB.
Not off, but in your schedule Week 1 is before Labor Day, whereas it's usually been the week after. There's definitely never been a regular season game in August before

Is my counting off?
WC Jan 20-22
Division Jan 27-29
Conference Feb 4
Super Bowl Feb 18

Not off, but in your schedule Week 1 is before Labor Day, whereas it's usually been the week after. There's definitely never been a regular season game in August before
Understood but if they add a game and a bye week, they’d pretty much have to.

From my perspective, Robert Edwards tore his ACL and the pro bowl went progressively downhill from there.
I can't believe what it's become. The added sideshows have become the main event and...I don't like it.
We had all star games in T-ball and that continued each year growing up and on TV was the pro all star games. That's how I feel it should always be.
So...this stuff instead of the Superbowl, I'm not a fan of.

Same garbage with kickoffs in the NFL. Dante Hall and Devin Hester and so many were exciting for decades. Stop telling me it's better now as if I'm some child told broccoli tastes good

Is my counting off?
WC Jan 20-22
Division Jan 27-29
Conference Feb 4
Super Bowl Feb 18

Understood but if they add a game and a bye week, they’d pretty much have to.
Well I'd certainly prefer that to having the SB the week after President's Day. Also would be unsurprising if the NFL, which has in recent years tried to take over Christmas and Black Friday, also went after Labor Day

From my perspective, Robert Edwards tore his ACL and the pro bowl went progressively downhill from there.
I can't believe what it's become. The added sideshows have become the main event and...I don't like it.
We had all star games in T-ball and that continued each year growing up and on TV was the pro all star games. That's how I feel it should always be.
So...this stuff instead of the Superbowl, I'm not a fan of.

Same garbage with kickoffs in the NFL. Dante Hall and Devin Hester and so many were exciting for decades. Stop telling me it's better now as if I'm some child told broccoli tastes good
The Pro Bowl is stupid and always has been. Just name honorary teams and skip the activities. Half the players skip anyway -- they don't care, so why should we?

If I remember correctly, Edwards tore his ACL in a rookie flag football game played on the beach as part of the Pro Bowl weekend. Wasn't even voted to play in the actual game.

Happened to be in Hawaii right after the 1995 Super Bowl and decided to take in the game. Only good part of the experience was that each team had a cheerleader representing them at the game. The best of the best. Quite outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bri
I like the 2 weeks. Gives players a breather, time to get healthy, gives fans the best matchup.

And hey, more time for Taylor Swift talk.
;)

Yep. That was the unofficial end of the pro bowl.

But it was already basically flag football, akin to the NBA all-star game.

I always thought they should do a “battle of the network stars” series of events, with. Rug-o-war, relay race, etc. since it wasn’t really a sporting event.

Reactions: Bri
I’m down with two weeks. After a long season I think it’s good that the teams get two weeks to rest up, re-set and focus entirely on their opponent in what is the biggest game there is. Players can heal a little and some might even make the game where they wouldn’t have a week earlier. I don’t really pay attention to anything else in the build up so don’t suffer from all the coverage fatigue and other such things that people are mentioning

Make sure not to walk on this guy's lawn.

Users who are viewing this thread