Drunken Cowboy

***Official 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Back to being the Bucs

85 posts in this topic

Well, I've had no choice but to buy the Team MLB.TV package. Somehow, the Student ID login I used when I was getting my Masters still gave me the discount so they obviously don't validate that. Been watching them drub the Reds in the rain with Cincy's dejected announcers.

#### it. Let's go Bucs!

21 minutes ago, Plorfu said:

Well, I've had no choice but to buy the Team MLB.TV package. Somehow, the Student ID login I used when I was getting my Masters still gave me the discount so they obviously don't validate that. Been watching them drub the Reds in the rain with Cincy's dejected announcers.

#### it. Let's go Bucs!

Cincy always owned us when we were actually a good team.  It's nice to destroy them when we're not very good.  

1 person likes this

Pedro just jacked a granny in the 14th against the Yanks and I was happy for him. 

2 people like this

This team is actually fun to watch.  Taillon is going to be a stud this year.  

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

This team is actually fun to watch.  Taillon is going to be a stud this year.  

Agree about Taillon.  I'm hoping the Pirates hitting offense keeps rolling -- I am quite surprised.

The bullpen is a little scary though...

I was at the game today, the home opener for the Cubs. This is an impressive Pirates team. They play really hard, with a lot of focus and energy. I think they overwhelmed the Cubs with their intensity and aggression.

You could see it during BP. The Cubs sort of went through the motions, shagging flies, taking lazy cuts in the batting cage. The Pirates went through their drills and time in the cage with military precision, really going at it. Omar Moreno was hitting hard grounders at all the Pirates infielders, no joking around.

Clint Hurdle challenging a play in the very first inning, and then Josh Bell scoring from 2nd on a single, showed that the Pirates are for real.

I don't know the inside-homer reasons for why Gerritt Cole did not work out, but the only thing holding the Pirates back is that one front-line/shutdown starter to anchor the team.

As a Cubs homer, I thought Milwaukee was the biggest threat, but now no one is looking past the Pirates. 

1 person likes this

Cole is destined for a monster year:

A.  He’s changed his pitch mix and is relying less on his fastball and more on the slider/curveball.  Small sample size but his insane swinging strike % speaks volumes for the adjustment 

B.  He’s no longer a Pirate so doesn’t have to worry about bad juju 

21 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Cole is destined for a monster year:

A.  He’s changed his pitch mix and is relying less on his fastball and more on the slider/curveball.  Small sample size but his insane swinging strike % speaks volumes for the adjustment 

B.  He’s no longer a Pirate so doesn’t have to worry about bad juju 

I fully expect him to win the Cy Young.

14 minutes ago, Drunken Cowboy said:

Well he's going to have to compete with Sale, Kluber, Severino, Verlander etc so that probably isn't happening but he will be a stud.  

On 4/11/2018 at 7:58 PM, Drunken Cowboy said:

It really is precious that Cole has transformed into the best pitcher in all of baseball immediately after leaving the Pirates.   It doesn’t even surprise me anymore.

14 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

It really is precious that Cole has transformed into the best pitcher in all of baseball immediately after leaving the Pirates.   It doesn’t even surprise me anymore.

He was setup to have a great year in Pittsburgh too.

The Cole sudden dominance is one thing but the Morton complete dominance is the icing on the cake.  Morton always had talent (unfulfilled in Pittsburgh of course) but he may very well end up as a front end stud by the end of this year.  Houston acquires pitchers and they all immediately turn into elite aces.  

2 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The Cole sudden dominance is one thing but the Morton complete dominance is the icing on the cake.  Morton always had talent (unfulfilled in Pittsburgh of course) but he may very well end up as a front end stud by the end of this year.  Houston acquires pitchers and they all immediately turn into elite aces.  

They used to say that about Searage and the Pirates not that long ago.  Morton had some success in Pittsburgh but injuries and lack of run support were problems.  His velocity increase is very unusual though.  I can't think of many cases where a SP picks up 5+ mph on his fastball in his early 30s.

1 person likes this

I get the sense that this team does in fact suck.

On 4/2/2018 at 2:57 PM, Godsbrother said:

Two weeks ago I was out with a bunch of buddies and we were are predicting losing seasons.   I told them I thought the Pirates would come out hot but quickly cool off and finish slightly below .500  with 78 wins. 

I was the most optimistic of my friends.

Just wanted to bump my prediction -- seems to be coming true.

At least they won the nightcap and stopped the skid.

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Just wanted to bump my prediction -- seems to be coming true.

At least they won the nightcap and stopped the skid.

Still very early GB.  Plenty of time for these frauds to pace themselves to a 100 loss season.

1 hour ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Still very early GB.  Plenty of time for these frauds to pace themselves to a 100 loss season.

I fear you may be correct

They're sucking me back in. 

51 minutes ago, Plorfu said:

They're sucking me back in. 

Don't 

So Kingham appears to have a pretty good slider.  If they send him back down, I'm done.

Not a lot of chatter in this thread.  We are almost a quarter of the way done with the season and they’re exceeding expectations.  The NL is very tough this year so I don’t see how this team can actually compete for a playoff spot.  Polanco has fallen back down to earth after a scorching hot start.  I’m close to giving up on Glasnow (maybe Houston will turn him into the next Nolan Ryan).  I’m intrigued by Kingham and can’t wait to see him get more starts.  Anyone hear anything on Meadows?  He was once thought to be Cutch’s heir apparent but looks like those expectations may have been a bit lofty.  As I’m writing this, I’m wondering if there is really anything to be excited about for this season or the foreseeable future?  

Kingham will start again May 19th vs SD. 

Dickerson and Moran have me excited early. 

I think i'm just afraid to jinx it. 

Nice reception for Cutch tonight  :thumbup: 

1 person likes this

On 5/12/2018 at 0:22 AM, Eephus said:

Nice reception for Cutch tonight  :thumbup: 

Highlight of the season so far.

7 hours ago, jfranco77 said:

Highlight of the season so far.

For me, the highlight of the season is that they're 6 games over .500 a quarter of the way through.   :shrug: 

Musgrove with an incredible debut for the Buccos.  It sure would be something if one of Houston's pitchers came to Pittsburgh and became a stud.      :thumbup:

I think it looks like a good start to the draft.

I would probably have rather seen a higher upside guy, but Swaggerty looks like an legit top ten pick.

I like going with athletes with the next two picks. They bring a lot of upside.They both seem to have some projection there.

100 losses still isn't out of the question.   :shrug: 

well THAT sucked.  Thought going to bed, up 5-0, was a safe bet.   Didn't think the bullpen would not only blow the lead but give up NINE runs in two innings.  

So last night's game against the Brewers was rained out but please explain to me why Hurdle's starting lineup had Sean Rodriguez, David Freese, and Jose Osuna against the 1st place Brewers?    Rodriguez doesn't belong on a Major League roster and Hurdle gives him a start?  

:wall:

Sean Rodriguez stats over the last 4 games:  0 for 10, six strikeouts, ground into a game-ending double play and committed 2 errors.   He did get on base via walk though.:clap: 

His batting average is 55 points below the Mendoza line.     Clint Hurdle says "We're looking for a breakthrough with Sean".  Neal Huntington called Sean "the consummate professional" and that he "is really working hard in the tunnel" and "really been showing signs".

I know this team has major issues other than Sean Rod considering that how poorly they played in the Diamondback series:  outscored 21-6, never had a lead in any of the four games, only had three extra base hits, struck out 40 times, etc.   But the fact this guy is still getting any playing time, not to mention getting starts, is indicative of how management and ownership care about the fans.  

Great game by the Buccos last night.  Wonderful pitching......

Kingham with 2 errors in the first set the tone but yeah he was pretty terrible.  

How's it going, Gents? Long time, no see. Fred's still doing the thread's heavy lifting.

Happy Independence Day!

40-45 record, on par with 2016 & 2017. Truly a model of consistent mediocrity.

Picking an All-Star from this squad will be rough. Maybe Dave Roberts will go with Colin Moran.

3 hours ago, monessen said:

How's it going, Gents? Long time, no see. Fred's still doing the thread's heavy lifting.

Happy Independence Day!

40-45 record, on par with 2016 & 2017. Truly a model of consistent mediocrity.

Picking an All-Star from this squad will be rough. Maybe Dave Roberts will go with Colin Moran.

Hey welcome back GB!  Hope you can stick around for a while.  Good point about the all star.  Maybe Meadows will get it?   :shrug: 

1 person likes this

Thanks!

With the Pirates at 40-46, and on their third straight way to another sub-par record, how are the people in charge (Coonelly, Huntington, Hurdle) living up to their contracts? The answer is they're not. They shuffle players in and out, with little variance in the results. The lack of commitment toward developing a genuine winner is tiresome. Ownership, of course, draws a profit, win or lose. So, fielding an authentically-competitive team remains a low priority.

When this happened with Leyland in the mid-1990s, he bolted to manage an upwardly-bound team. Hurdle must be content with a paycheck.

The Pirates seem like they're falling pretty far down the list of teams with bright futures. Other than Mitch Keller, what do they have on the farm? Polanco can't live up to the hype, Marte is already almost 30, Taillon can't seem to take the next step, the rest of the SPs are meh...  how are these guys going to be good now OR down the road?