What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SB Outcome (1 Viewer)

Who do you want to win?

• Total voters

DocHolliday

Footballguy
There seems to be dislike for the Patriots across the country.  I am curious as to how much. 

I have not liked the Patriots ever since that BS tuck call against my Raiders on that snowy evening many years ago. 

I want the Eagles to win but think NE finds a way to win at the end as usual.     

Patriots win 24-17. 

I don't hate them but I am tired of their run. At this point big games with the Pats just feel like a WWF match where the unknown wrestler puts a ferocious beating on the champ, has him down and is a half second away from pinning him. The champ then miraculously kicks out of it, spins around and wins with a few seconds to spare...

I cannot decide if the Eagles are the team I just saw roll the Vikes, or something less.  I can't decide if the Pats are going to find one last championship in this run with a team not the equal of past ones, but with experience and moxy.  This is a very difficult game for me to handicap.  Right now I am thinking that a very battered Tom Brady will be walking alone  back to his locker after the final horn, contemplating his future.  He will be realizing the truth, though slowly, of the old adage about father time.  I believe the Obit writers will be spooling up their best hyperbole.  I think Kraft and Belichick will find some increased tension in their relationship.

I think some Eagle fans will spoil the celebration for the rest of them. 

I cannot decide if the Eagles are the team I just saw roll the Vikes, or something less.  I can't decide if the Pats are going to find one last championship in this run with a team not the equal of past ones, but with experience and moxy.  This is a very difficult game for me to handicap.  Right now I am thinking that a very battered Tom Brady will be walking alone  back to his locker after the final horn, contemplating his future.  He will be realizing the truth, though slowly, of the old adage about father time.  I believe the Obit writers will be spooling up their best hyperbole.  I think Kraft and Belichick will find some increased tension in their relationship.

I think some Eagle fans will spoil the celebration for the rest of them. 
And then Philadelphia collectively wakes up and realizes it was all a dream

Who will win: I am not picking against the Patriots until I am wrong again.

Who I am rooting for:  Full disclosure I am a Cowboys fan and it is NOT in my DNA to root for the Eagles under any circumstances. Cannot do it.

However, I can absolutely relate to Eagles fans and I honestly do have empathy towards them.  I am a 44 year old Toronto Maple Leafs fan. No Stanley Cups, years of futility and of course the Game 6 heart break when Kerry Fraser ignored The Great one's high stick on Doug Gilmour which drew blood.  He should have gotten a 5 min major and ejected - but he didn't and then scored the OT winner....but I digress.

I know the feeling, the passion and craze that the thought of your fav team finally winning a Championship evokes.  I will honestly and genuinely congratulate the guys in Eagles thread if it happens. I have a heart and it's just sports at the end of the day, but just can root for the Eagles.

EDIT - I love watching sports better with rivals then fans.  Especially my sons and brother who have their own teams.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Tight first as both team feel each other out.....maybe NE goes up.

2nd quarter into the 3rd...Eagles take it to them.

3rd into the 4th.....Brady storms back.....but the the Eagles, not sitting back and waiting for the game to end AND making some key adjustments at the half themselves, don't get overtaken. 

Eagles 27 Patriots 23

Eagles make Brady uncomfortable in the pocket all day with their Front 4.

Gronk (if he plays) will get his. 

Foles does enough.

MVP will go to someone on the O (Foles more than likely).....but when people go back and watch the game over....the MVP will be Mychael Kendricks.  Game tape will show that he made some very smart plays when tasked with helping against Gronk AND it'll show that he will GREATLY mitigate the Pats receiving out of the backfield by limiting their YAC with several key solo takles and several toe takedowns of Dion Lewis and Co. 

Who I am rooting for:  Full disclosure I am a Cowboys fan and it is NOT in my DNA to root for the Eagles under any circumstances. Cannot do it.

However, I can absolutely relate to Eagles fans and I honestly do have empathy towards them.  I am a 44 year old Toronto Maple Leafs fan. No Stanley Cups, years of futility and of course the Game 6 heart break when Kerry Fraser ignored The Great one high stick Doug Gilmour - only to then score the OT winner when he should have been ejected....but I digress. I know the feeling of the passion and craze the thought of your fav team finally winning a Championship evokes.  I will honestly and genuinely congratulate the guys in Eagles thread if it happens. I have a heart and it's just sports at the end of the day, but just can root for the Eagles.
Stop making Cowboys fans look good.

However, I can absolutely relate to Eagles fans and I honestly do have empathy towards them.  I am a 44 year old Toronto Maple Leafs fan. No Stanley Cups, years of futility and of course the Game 6 heart break when Kerry Fraser ignored The Great one high stick Doug Gilmour - only to then score the OT winner when he should have been ejected....but I digress. I know the feeling of the passion and craze the thought of your fav team finally winning a Championship evokes.  I will honestly and genuinely congratulate the guys in Eagles thread if it happens. I have a heart and it's just sports at the end of the day, but just can root for the Eagles.
Cowboy fans take bad rap around here because the ones that post most frequently are such insufferable trolls, but I'm on record saying that you are definitely an exception. Always appreciated your perspective and the way you delivered it.

The Patriots are like a cobra hunting a bird. They lock eyes and the bird is paralyzed with fear and is dead before the snake even strikes. This has been the mystique that the Pats have won by on for years now including Jacksonville last week. 

But not this time. This Eagles team is a mongoose. And will out maneuver the cobra, grab it by the back of its head and sink its teeth into its brain and KILL it! 

I don't like Tom Brady but I respect him. Like many of the greatest, he does not want to "go gentle into the good night." But his good night shall come February 4th. And it won't be gentle.

31-17 Eagles 

It is known.

Prefer to see Pheagles win but I see something around Patsies-33 Pheagles-28 as Pederson channels his inner Panda Reid and chokes away the game late.

Prefer to see Pheagles win but I see something around Patsies-33 Pheagles-28 as Pederson channels his inner Panda Reid and chokes away the game late.
It's always cute to see elementary school kids posting. The future of the league lays in the hands of our youngsters.  :thumbup:

Here's what I am leaning toward a week before the game. I already posted my adjusted scoring model prediction based on actual results from this year in the game thread (which predicted PHI scoring 25 points to 24.6 points for NE), and that shows me that this game should be close and neither team should win by a blow out.

Here are some things I uncovered that make me lean toward NE though, most of which tie in to a them of familiarity.

- When NE has lost in the postseason in the TB/BB era, ALL of their losses were to teams they faced in the regular season (BAL, DEN, NYJ, IND, NYG). On top of that, NE faced those teams multiple times in prior seasons as well. Overall, NE has gone just 12-9 in same season rematch games.

- The flip side to that is that they have NEVER lost to a team they DID NOT play in the regular season, going a combined 16-0 in those games (they did not play PHI this year).

- Historically, QB's going up against NE with BB and TB for the first time have not fared very well. I did not have time to assess all the QBs since 2001 in their first starts against the Pats. But for active QB's that were rostered this season, they won their initial meeting against NE only 18.6% of the time (Nick Foles has never played NE).

- Looking at all of NE's games since 2001, they rarely had multiple games without forcing a turnover. They currently have gone 4 games without a turnover, which is their longest such streak in that time. IIRC, only one other time did they go 3 games without forcing a turnover. In the few times they went 2 or more games with a turnover, they forced at least 2 turnovers in the game that ended their drought.

- In the post season, in games where NE won the turnover battle and had at least a +1 turnover margin, they have gone 16-0.

- The Gronk effect is real. NE scores an average of +4.5 ppg when the big lug is in the lineup. That alone could impact who wins this game.

Here's how I see things shaping out.

For this season, I am prepared to suggest the Eagles were a better overall team than the Patriots. But the better team doesn't always win. It would not surprise me if PHI has more yards of offense / fewer yards on defense, and somehow still loses. IMO, the Pats will make up for that on turnovers and special teams / field position. While we have grown accustomed to NE being the team that mounts the comeback and having their opponents fade down the stretch, I envision the script being flipped and NE being the one getting the lead and having the Eagles being the one to have to come back.

Early on, like in other Super Bowls, I see the NE offense struggling to move the ball but finally managing to score in the first quarter (0 points scored in 7 other SB's). In the first half, I see the Eagles with a muffed punt or a fumbled kickoff. I also see Foles throwing a pick in the PHI end. Between those, NE cashes in on a TD, PHI keeps them out of the end zone on the other, and NE gets gifted 10 points early on. 10-0 NE after a quarter even though they do very little to move the ball.

In the second quarter, PHI has a 10+ play drive and NE struggles on third down that chews up half the quarter to cut the lead to 10-7 NE. The Patriots respond with a quick drive and get some chunk yardage plays to answer 17-7 NE. Before half time, with limited time left in the half, PHI gets enough last minute yardage to make a long FG to cut the lead to 17-10 NE.

In the second half, NE has one of their patented no huddle, hurry up drives to score again to go up 24-10. The Eagles are able to move the ball when they are on offense, but stall in the red zone (a sack, a holding penalty, a drop, etc.) and have to settle for two FG's to make it 24-16 NE.

In the 4th, NE drives slowly down the field and can't get in the end zone but comes away with a FG to go up 27-16. PHI goes down the field again and gets a TD but uses more time than expected as NE forces the action into the middle of the field. NE 27-23.

The Pats get the ball back, get a couple of first downs, the Eagles have to burn their remaining timeouts, and NE flips field position and punts to pin the Eagles inside their own 10 yard line. Philadelphia is left needing 90 yards to get the game winning TD with less than a minute to go and no timeouts.They get about 60 of those yards and the game ends on the last play with a jump ball incompletion in the ends and NE wins 27-23.

Such a game script would meet all the conditions I set up initially (Pats record scoring or allowing 23 points, turnover differential, facing opponents they did not face during the year, first starts for opposing QBs, PHI out gaining NE in yardage and still losing). The Pats in this scenario would really only get two TD drives and a FG on offense (with 10 other points from PHI turnovers).

If I were to bet, I would take PHI and the points but I would take NE to win. However, I don't think the Pats are a prohibitive favorite (the line is too high), and IMO NE is probably 55/45 to win.

ESPN's FPI has NE winning 53% of the time. 538 has NE with a 58% chance to win and a 2.5 point favorite. Jeff Sagarin's Golden Mean method has it 31-27 NE. I haven't seen Accuscore yet but will add that when it comes out.

habsfan said:
I don't hate them but I am tired of their run. At this point big games with the Pats just feel like a WWF match where the unknown wrestler puts a ferocious beating on the champ, has him down and is a half second away from pinning him. The champ then miraculously kicks out of it, spins around and wins with a few seconds to spare...
I'd say you should work for the NFL, but I think you already do.

Want the Eagles.

Patriots will win 27-21.

We all know what is coming. The real question is if you can admit it.

Here's what I am leaning toward a week before the game. I already posted my adjusted scoring model prediction based on actual results from this year in the game thread (which predicted PHI scoring 25 points to 24.6 points for NE), and that shows me that this game should be close and neither team should win by a blow out.

Here are some things I uncovered that make me lean toward NE though, most of which tie in to a them of familiarity.

- When NE has lost in the postseason in the TB/BB era, ALL of their losses were to teams they faced in the regular season (BAL, DEN, NYJ, IND, NYG). On top of that, NE faced those teams multiple times in prior seasons as well. Overall, NE has gone just 12-9 in same season rematch games.

- The flip side to that is that they have NEVER lost to a team they DID NOT play in the regular season, going a combined 16-0 in those games (they did not play PHI this year).

- Historically, QB's going up against NE with BB and TB for the first time have not fared very well. I did not have time to assess all the QBs since 2001 in their first starts against the Pats. But for active QB's that were rostered this season, they won their initial meeting against NE only 18.6% of the time (Nick Foles has never played NE).

- Looking at all of NE's games since 2001, they rarely had multiple games without forcing a turnover. They currently have gone 4 games without a turnover, which is their longest such streak in that time. IIRC, only one other time did they go 3 games without forcing a turnover. In the few times they went 2 or more games with a turnover, they forced at least 2 turnovers in the game that ended their drought.

- In the post season, in games where NE won the turnover battle and had at least a +1 turnover margin, they have gone 16-0.

- The Gronk effect is real. NE scores an average of +4.5 ppg when the big lug is in the lineup. That alone could impact who wins this game.

Here's how I see things shaping out.

For this season, I am prepared to suggest the Eagles were a better overall team than the Patriots. But the better team doesn't always win. It would not surprise me if PHI has more yards of offense / fewer yards on defense, and somehow still loses. IMO, the Pats will make up for that on turnovers and special teams / field position. While we have grown accustomed to NE being the team that mounts the comeback and having their opponents fade down the stretch, I envision the script being flipped and NE being the one getting the lead and having the Eagles being the one to have to come back.

Early on, like in other Super Bowls, I see the NE offense struggling to move the ball but finally managing to score in the first quarter (0 points scored in 7 other SB's). In the first half, I see the Eagles with a muffed punt or a fumbled kickoff. I also see Foles throwing a pick in the PHI end. Between those, NE cashes in on a TD, PHI keeps them out of the end zone on the other, and NE gets gifted 10 points early on. 10-0 NE after a quarter even though they do very little to move the ball.

In the second quarter, PHI has a 10+ play drive and NE struggles on third down that chews up half the quarter to cut the lead to 10-7 NE. The Patriots respond with a quick drive and get some chunk yardage plays to answer 17-7 NE. Before half time, with limited time left in the half, PHI gets enough last minute yardage to make a long FG to cut the lead to 17-10 NE.

In the second half, NE has one of their patented no huddle, hurry up drives to score again to go up 24-10. The Eagles are able to move the ball when they are on offense, but stall in the red zone (a sack, a holding penalty, a drop, etc.) and have to settle for two FG's to make it 24-16 NE.

In the 4th, NE drives slowly down the field and can't get in the end zone but comes away with a FG to go up 27-16. PHI goes down the field again and gets a TD but uses more time than expected as NE forces the action into the middle of the field. NE 27-23.

The Pats get the ball back, get a couple of first downs, the Eagles have to burn their remaining timeouts, and NE flips field position and punts to pin the Eagles inside their own 10 yard line. Philadelphia is left needing 90 yards to get the game winning TD with less than a minute to go and no timeouts.They get about 60 of those yards and the game ends on the last play with a jump ball incompletion in the ends and NE wins 27-23.

Such a game script would meet all the conditions I set up initially (Pats record scoring or allowing 23 points, turnover differential, facing opponents they did not face during the year, first starts for opposing QBs, PHI out gaining NE in yardage and still losing). The Pats in this scenario would really only get two TD drives and a FG on offense (with 10 other points from PHI turnovers).

If I were to bet, I would take PHI and the points but I would take NE to win. However, I don't think the Pats are a prohibitive favorite (the line is too high), and IMO NE is probably 55/45 to win.

ESPN's FPI has NE winning 53% of the time. 538 has NE with a 58% chance to win and a 2.5 point favorite. Jeff Sagarin's Golden Mean method has it 31-27 NE. I haven't seen Accuscore yet but will add that when it comes out.
I always like your write ups, but this one has a serious flaw. If the Eagles score a touchdown in the 4th quarter to cut an 11 point lead there is no way they are kicking an extra point. 

Interesting stuff here.

I always like your write ups, but this one has a serious flaw. If the Eagles score a touchdown in the 4th quarter to cut an 11 point lead there is no way they are kicking an extra point. 
The essence of the script would still be similar . . . NE would be the front runner and PHI would have to be the one with the comeback. So tweak the story line to giving them 8 points instead of 7 points. For the final Eagles possession, have them get to midfield with time for only one play and throw a true hail mary instead. Have the game end 27-24 instead of 27-23.

The takeaway would be that NE wouldn't go into a shell and not get any first downs and they wouldn't leave PHI enough time to get another score (which opponents have let NE do over and over again).

I don't share some people's disdain for the Pats, or Philly. Personally I would like to see a great old franchise like Philly win their first championship since 1960. But unfortunately I see the coaching & QB disparity as being too great. NE wins 34-17.

I don't share some people's disdain for the Pats, or Philly. Personally I would like to see a great old franchise like Philly win their first championship since 1960. But unfortunately I see the coaching & QB disparity as being too great. NE wins 34-17.
Wow you are so wrong.  Watch and learn

I am a Philly fan, have been since I was old enough to watch TV. Went to Franklin Field for Training Camps, and have pictures of myself and my brother with Roman Gabriel, Frank LeMaster and Harold Carmichael. My dad was old school Philly. Son of Italian immigrants, dropped out of school in 8th grade to go to work because that’s what his family needed him to do. My dad was a man of very few words: wasn’t big on praise or public displays of affection. To him, there was one right way to do something, and you always did that. You did it, and you didn’t complain. And you didn’t look for praise. You did it because it was the right thing to do. If you cut corners (or half-assed it, as he would put it) you were told. Otherwise, “you did what you were supposed to do. Good. Take a rest, get some sleep and I’ll see you early in the morning for the same thing”. He worked 4 jobs, in his late 40s and 50s, while I was growing up, to afford us growing up in a good neighborhood with great schools.

He was never able to go to a single football game of mine, or little league game or wrestling match. I can’t recall a single game of catch I got to play with my old man, because he was always working. But, we had sports. We would watch boxing together, Phillies’ and Sixers’ games and, of course, Eagles’ games. Our house bled green every Sunday. We cheered and cursed through a lot of ups and downs over the years. Leonard Tose, Fog Bowl, Body Bag game, ‘For who? For what?’, Randall breaking his leg, Jerome dying, losing Reggie in free agency, 4th &26, Tampa Bay in the NFCCG. Philly became the living embodiment of the blue-collar, lunchbox guy that was always doomed to keep pushing that rock up the hill, only to have it roll back down, inches from the top.

I’ve hated Boston since the days when the Celtics were so good, with Bird, McHale, Ainge, Parrish, DJ. My first roommates out of basic training, when I went to spend a year in Monterey, were two 25-year-old Irish jamooks from Southie, with Celtics posters all over the walls. When they found out I was a dago from Philly, the rivalry was on. And, believe me, smack talk is raised to Olympic levels when you get Philly and Baaaahston fans going. The two cities are mirror images of each other: tough, gritty, mostly good-natured, chip on their shoulder, lunchbox towns.

I also, for good reason, despised the Patriots since they started their dynasty. First off, i can’t remember ever meeting a Patriots’ fan, before they started winning. Nobody was claiming them in the late 80s, early 90s. Not even my two knucklehead roommates. But, come 2003, everyone is a lifelong, diehard Pats fan. Bunch of frontrunners. Loud, obnoxious frontrunners. Not to mention the cheating. Cost my best, beloved Eagles a Lombardi trophy with their surreptitious camera shenanigans. And Brady- i hate him because he is too perfect: Supermodel wife, cleft chin, dagger in the heart of every opposing fan in the 4th Qtr. F you, Golden Boy! My absolute hatred of the Patriots was pure, like rooting against the heel in the WWF.

When it came out, I watched A Football Life about Belichick. Something wholly unexpected happened- I freaking love the guy. Hearing about how he grew up, his relationship with his dad, all the crap that he went through as an assistant and geting his break in Cleveland and getting the rug pulled out from under him with the team moving. And he didn’t kvetch or complain to the media. He didn’t cry in his beer and sing “whoa is me”. He worked even harder. He knew if he coached the right way, his way- he could turn New England into a winner. I love the way he handles the media, I love his sarcasm and stone-faced responses. I love the way he coaches his team up to always have the answer. I always paid grudging respect to his evil genius, but i became a huge fan of the guy, his work ethic and his commitment to doing things the right way. I’ll begrudgingly admit Brady is GOAT, too. But, I’d really like to see Perfect Tommy get some mud on his jersey. I just don’t have it in me to root for a guy to step on home base, when he was seemingly born on 3rd base.

This coming game means a lot to me, as I’m sure it means a lot to others. And I’m sure it means nothing to a huge chunk of people on here. I see the Eagles as a possible dynasty, now. I love Pederson as a coach. I get inspired by the franchise QB we have. I love rooting for this team, that plays disciplined football and gives every ounce of effort on the field. I love that this team is playing for each other and backing each other up and putting their egos in check and playing ‘Next Man Up’ football. It’s like the footballl gods fnally decided to let Philly have a team that lives up to all those lunchbox expectations. As a fan, I see our team following the blueprint Bellichick followed. And I’m excited for that.

Sure, it’s just a game. Nothing earth-shattering happens, win or lose. But, for me, personally, it’d be the equivalent of an extra Tasykake in my dad’s lunchbox. I’m staying home and watching with just my kids. And we’ll be talking about Grandpop Henry. I’d love to see an Eagles’ win over a quality opponent, who goes about their jobs the right way. The Boston way. The Philly Way. The way I (and a lot of you) grew up.

Fly, Eagles, fly!

I am a Philly fan, have been since I was old enough to watch TV. Went to Franklin Field for Training Camps, and have pictures of myself and my brother with Roman Gabriel, Frank LeMaster and Harold Carmichael. My dad was old school Philly. Son of Italian immigrants, dropped out of school in 8th grade to go to work because that’s what his family needed him to do. My dad was a man of very few words: wasn’t big on praise or public displays of affection. To him, there was one right way to do something, and you always did that. You did it, and you didn’t complain. And you didn’t look for praise. You did it because it was the right thing to do. If you cut corners (or half-assed it, as he would put it) you were told. Otherwise, “you did what you were supposed to do. Good. Take a rest, get some sleep and I’ll see you early in the morning for the same thing”. He worked 4 jobs, in his late 40s and 50s, while I was growing up, to afford us growing up in a good neighborhood with great schools.

He was never able to go to a single football game of mine, or little league game or wrestling match. I can’t recall a single game of catch I got to play with my old man, because he was always working. But, we had sports. We would watch boxing together, Phillies’ and Sixers’ games and, of course, Eagles’ games. Our house bled green every Sunday. We cheered and cursed through a lot of ups and downs over the years. Leonard Tose, Fog Bowl, Body Bag game, ‘For who? For what?’, Randall breaking his leg, Jerome dying, losing Reggie in free agency, 4th &26, Tampa Bay in the NFCCG. Philly became the living embodiment of the blue-collar, lunchbox guy that was always doomed to keep pushing that rock up the hill, only to have it roll back down, inches from the top.

I’ve hated Boston since the days when the Celtics were so good, with Bird, McHale, Ainge, Parrish, DJ. My first roommates out of basic training, when I went to spend a year in Monterey, were two 25-year-old Irish jamooks from Southie, with Celtics posters all over the walls. When they found out I was a dago from Philly, the rivalry was on. And, believe me, smack talk is raised to Olympic levels when you get Philly and Baaaahston fans going. The two cities are mirror images of each other: tough, gritty, mostly good-natured, chip on their shoulder, lunchbox towns.

I also, for good reason, despised the Patriots since they started their dynasty. First off, i can’t remember ever meeting a Patriots’ fan, before they started winning. Nobody was claiming them in the late 80s, early 90s. Not even my two knucklehead roommates. But, come 2003, everyone is a lifelong, diehard Pats fan. Bunch of frontrunners. Loud, obnoxious frontrunners. Not to mention the cheating. Cost my best, beloved Eagles a Lombardi trophy with their surreptitious camera shenanigans. And Brady- i hate him because he is too perfect: Supermodel wife, cleft chin, dagger in the heart of every opposing fan in the 4th Qtr. F you, Golden Boy! My absolute hatred of the Patriots was pure, like rooting against the heel in the WWF.

When it came out, I watched A Football Life about Belichick. Something wholly unexpected happened- I freaking love the guy. Hearing about how he grew up, his relationship with his dad, all the crap that he went through as an assistant and geting his break in Cleveland and getting the rug pulled out from under him with the team moving. And he didn’t kvetch or complain to the media. He didn’t cry in his beer and sing “whoa is me”. He worked even harder. He knew if he coached the right way, his way- he could turn New England into a winner. I love the way he handles the media, I love his sarcasm and stone-faced responses. I love the way he coaches his team up to always have the answer. I always paid grudging respect to his evil genius, but i became a huge fan of the guy, his work ethic and his commitment to doing things the right way. I’ll begrudgingly admit Brady is GOAT, too. But, I’d really like to see Perfect Tommy get some mud on his jersey. I just don’t have it in me to root for a guy to step on home base, when he was seemingly born on 3rd base.

This coming game means a lot to me, as I’m sure it means a lot to others. And I’m sure it means nothing to a huge chunk of people on here. I see the Eagles as a possible dynasty, now. I love Pederson as a coach. I get inspired by the franchise QB we have. I love rooting for this team, that plays disciplined football and gives every ounce of effort on the field. I love that this team is playing for each other and backing each other up and putting their egos in check and playing ‘Next Man Up’ football. It’s like the footballl gods fnally decided to let Philly have a team that lives up to all those lunchbox expectations. As a fan, I see our team following the blueprint Bellichick followed. And I’m excited for that.

Sure, it’s just a game. Nothing earth-shattering happens, win or lose. But, for me, personally, it’d be the equivalent of an extra Tasykake in my dad’s lunchbox. I’m staying home and watching with just my kids. And we’ll be talking about Grandpop Henry. I’d love to see an Eagles’ win over a quality opponent, who goes about their jobs the right way. The Boston way. The Philly Way. The way I (and a lot of you) grew up.

Fly, Eagles, fly!
Awesome post

Fly, Eagles, fly!
What a write up.  Wtg man.  Right there with you.  Fly eagles fly.  For all that was and all that is we will overcome this evil that is the new England Patriots!

It's like asking who do you like more...Hitler or Stalin?  Respect the Patriots but am tired of them winning or being in the hunt every freaking year.  Don't hate the Eagles, just the city they play in - dirty city full of jerks.  So I will just root for me winning my super bowl squares and don't care about the actual game outcome.  The two teams out of all the playoff teams I did not want to make the SB made it - what a disappointment.

It's like asking who do you like more...Hitler or Stalin?  Respect the Patriots but am tired of them winning or being in the hunt every freaking year.  Don't hate the Eagles, just the city they play in - dirty city full of jerks.  So I will just root for me winning my super bowl squares and don't care about the actual game outcome.  The two teams out of all the playoff teams I did not want to make the SB made it - what a disappointment.
#### you

Fly, Eagles, fly!
Great post, btw.  Wanted to use it as a more general comment on BB and the steady drumbeat of praise he gets.

You do a great job of highlighting the things that are praiseworthy in his career.  For some reason, whenever anyone is doing that, his disgraceful behavior during the 2 days (?) he was under contract with the Jets gets conveniently ignored.

That to me was a pathetic, disrespectful and embarassing set of actions that soured me on the man forever, even before all the allegations of cheating, etc.  The man is a good coach, but the human interest side of his troubles in Cleveland and what not fail to resonate as a result.

His playoff record and the Browns' woefulness has people reexamining his record in Cleveland with rosier glasses, and he's looking like a golden career if you blink for that one episode.  I hope folks do not forget it when evaluating the totality of his achievements.  People still reference the draft day shennanigans when discussing Eli's legacy.  BB deserves the same level of awareness of flaws as well as achievements.

Fly, Eagles, fly!
Nice post and Thank You for your service to our country

God Bless

ProstheticRGK said:

Fly, Eagles, fly!
Good post for the most part, but one that begs a retort from a New England fan.

Your upbringing is very touching and its also no different than the upbringing of many in NE.

Similar to the ups and downs of the Eagles, Patriots fans haved lived through similar, the franchise foibles and setbacks are comical and countless. The Sullivans, the Michael Jackson tour, Raiders and their buddy Ben Dreith stealing a Lombardi, Darryl Stingley,  Rod Rust, Fairbanks fiasco and on and on.

You have hated Boston since the 80's and despised the Patriots since the start of their dynasty. It might be more accurate to say you didn't care about the Patriots until they started winning and because of that you are resentful and jealous. Thats fine, its human nature, no one wants to see the same team win year after year and im no different. I felt the same way about the Yankees, Canadiens, Steelers, Cowboys and Niners once upon a time.

I don't hate Philly, I have at times hated the Flyers and the Sixers, but over the top at times obnoxious fans aside no real animosity. I don't appreciate those who know little about the Patriots or their fans speaking as if they do. A key giveaway is not knowing the Patriots had some really good teams in the 70s, 80's and 90's and have always had blue collar fans who lived and died with their team. Has their unparalleled success led to more fans, of course it has, just as it would in any other city and any other sport. Claiming not to know any pre dynasty patriots fans is understandable for those who didn't care about the Patriots and were unaware they even had periodic pre dynasty success. I understand how denigrating Patriots fans helps fans of losing teams feel better about themselves and their own team. I get it, been there, done that; its not accurate but it is understandable. Were I not a Patriot fan I would almost surely hate them and say similar things to help make myself feel better about my favorite team.

I do have disdain for the Marty Hurney, cryin Clarke types who whine and cry about cheating costing them a game or championship and yet have zero factual logicial evidence as to how that actually happened in their particular game. I can give u some specifics like how Philly didn't go hurry up when they needed 2 scores to win or tie at the end. How about u? Do u have specifics, can u tell us that NE wasn't clearly the better team in 04 and how exactly they stole your Eagles SB. I challenge you or anyone else to start a thread supporting the smear that NE cheated against you or some other team in the SB. You would do this if you could but u won't because you can't and Pitt, NYJ, DEN, INDY, PHI, CAR, ATL, SEA fans never do this because they can't. There is no denying the spygate cloud, all I ask is for the conspiracy crowd to elaborate and tell us what exactly they think happened in a specific game against their team? 

While we are at it,how about the hypocritical and self righteous Raider and Steeler fans who loved, loved, loved the mystic of their dynastys being built around cheating and being dirty (just win baby!). They relished it and welcomed it, but now that New Englands success has eclipsed theirs, well now they are are morally outraged. Even though their HC has flatly stated otherwise, some of these fans insist he was really a moron unaware of even the most rudimentary of precautions that nulify anything a 2, 5 or 10 year old tape might provide. Some Pit fans believe this not because there is any chance in hell it is actually true, they believe it because they resent and hate NE for eclipsing their teams success and do not want to accept the obvious undeniable truth. 

While we are at it #2, lets not forget the resentment and jealousy emanating from Jets land, aka NFL front office and media capitol of the world. It will never be forgotten or forgiven that BB chose Boston over NY. Even though it was obviously the right choice it was a choice that flys in the face of some blowhard NY fans whos self worth revolves around the false belief that NY is second to none in everything. Missing out on Tom Brady is the ultimate cherry on top, you remember when NY thought and so badly hoped Pennington was the next Montana? I do and I remember saying hes already here 150 miles up the road. Fwiw, imo Pennington really was good but unfortunately his body couldn't hold up to the brutality of the sport (that is not meant to be a knock, its really too bad imo).

How can someone claim not to like Tom Brady because he "was born on 3rd base"? Peyton was born on 3rd base, Bledsoe was born on 3rd, Brady was born on the bench and from day one has had to relentlessly work his tail off to overcome long odds to accomplish what he has. Yes he is on 3rd base now, but he was an overachieving underdog in every sense of the word.

Hearing an Eagle fan talk about a Dynasty before they have even won one SB I can't help but remember right b4 game 7 of the Bruins Canucks final a fan called in to a Canadien talk show asking about the Canucks potential for a dynasty and the host correctly pointing out they need to win one first. Reminds me of a certain Seahawks fan as well....

Anyway, its all good and I get the hate, it is understandable and I have come to embrace it. I know it is coming to the end of the road for NE and im enjoying the hell out of it while I can.

Should be a great game! 

Good post for the most part, but one that begs a retort from a New England fan.

Your upbringing is very touching and its also no different than the upbringing of many in NE.

Similar to the ups and downs of the Eagles, Patriots fans haved lived through similar, the franchise foibles and setbacks are comical and countless. The Sullivans, the Michael Jackson tour, Raiders and their buddy Ben Dreith stealing a Lombardi, Darryl Stingley,  Rod Rust, Fairbanks fiasco and on and on.

You have hated Boston since the 80's and despised the Patriots since the start of their dynasty. It might be more accurate to say you didn't care about the Patriots until they started winning and because of that you are resentful and jealous. Thats fine, its human nature, no one wants to see the same team win year after year and im no different. I felt the same way about the Yankees, Canadiens, Steelers, Cowboys and Niners once upon a time.

I don't hate Philly, I have at times hated the Flyers and the Sixers, but over the top at times obnoxious fans aside no real animosity. I don't appreciate those who know little about the Patriots or their fans speaking as if they do. A key giveaway is not knowing the Patriots had some really good teams in the 70s, 80's and 90's and have always had blue collar fans who lived and died with their team. Has their unparalleled success led to more fans, of course it has, just as it would in any other city and any other sport. Claiming not to know any pre dynasty patriots fans is understandable for those who didn't care about the Patriots and were unaware they even had periodic pre dynasty success. I understand how denigrating Patriots fans helps fans of losing teams feel better about themselves and their own team. I get it, been there, done that; its not accurate but it is understandable. Were I not a Patriot fan I would almost surely hate them and say similar things to help make myself feel better about my favorite team.

I do have disdain for the Marty Hurney, cryin Clarke types who whine and cry about cheating costing them a game or championship and yet have zero factual logicial evidence as to how that actually happened in their particular game. I can give u some specifics like how Philly didn't go hurry up when they needed 2 scores to win or tie at the end. How about u? Do u have specifics, can u tell us that NE wasn't clearly the better team in 04 and how exactly they stole your Eagles SB. I challenge you or anyone else to start a thread supporting the smear that NE cheated against you or some other team in the SB. You would do this if you could but u won't because you can't and Pitt, NYJ, DEN, INDY, PHI, CAR, ATL, SEA fans never do this because they can't. There is no denying the spygate cloud, all I ask is for the conspiracy crowd to elaborate and tell us what exactly they think happened in a specific game against their team? 

While we are at it,how about the hypocritical and self righteous Raider and Steeler fans who loved, loved, loved the mystic of their dynastys being built around cheating and being dirty (just win baby!). They relished it and welcomed it, but now that New Englands success has eclipsed theirs, well now they are are morally outraged. Even though their HC has flatly stated otherwise, some of these fans insist he was really a moron unaware of even the most rudimentary of precautions that nulify anything a 2, 5 or 10 year old tape might provide. Some Pit fans believe this not because there is any chance in hell it is actually true, they believe it because they resent and hate NE for eclipsing their teams success and do not want to accept the obvious undeniable truth. 

While we are at it #2, lets not forget the resentment and jealousy emanating from Jets land, aka NFL front office and media capitol of the world. It will never be forgotten or forgiven that BB chose Boston over NY. Even though it was obviously the right choice it was a choice that flys in the face of some blowhard NY fans whos self worth revolves around the false belief that NY is second to none in everything. Missing out on Tom Brady is the ultimate cherry on top, you remember when NY thought and so badly hoped Pennington was the next Montana? I do and I remember saying hes already here 150 miles up the road. Fwiw, imo Pennington really was good but unfortunately his body couldn't hold up to the brutality of the sport (that is not meant to be a knock, its really too bad imo).

How can someone claim not to like Tom Brady because he "was born on 3rd base"? Peyton was born on 3rd base, Bledsoe was born on 3rd, Brady was born on the bench and from day one has had to relentlessly work his tail off to overcome long odds to accomplish what he has. Yes he is on 3rd base now, but he was an overachieving underdog in every sense of the word.

Hearing an Eagle fan talk about a Dynasty before they have even won one SB I can't help but remember right b4 game 7 of the Bruins Canucks final a fan called in to a Canadien talk show asking about the Canucks potential for a dynasty and the host correctly pointing out they need to win one first. Reminds me of a certain Seahawks fan as well....

Anyway, its all good and I get the hate, it is understandable and I have come to embrace it. I know it is coming to the end of the road for NE and im enjoying the hell out of it while I can.

Should be a great game! 

LOL, this is funny, Pats fan claiming the Steelers cheated for those SB wins.  News flash most players were taking steroids, if not all back in 70s.  Just like almost all players are juicing today.  GTF over yourselves, you cheated repeated and got busted for it.  Dont try to change history saying only two teams cheated but they never got caught.  Not even going to mention the Refs. 

Also I've never claimed to hate Brady or any Qb.  I would never put any Qb from the last 25-30 years into the goat conversation.  Rules are much different today, hell only a handful of players could play back then.  Because they wouldn't have been able to take the pounding.  So Manning and Brady will never be mentioned among the greats because they both peed  down their leg with even a little pressure, what do you think would happen if they were knocked down almost every play, like back then. Imo.  But I know some have this opinion too.

@NE_REVIVAL

i don’t know if it was my failing as a writer, or if hearing the hate against NE for so long, you just assumed this was another screed against your team. I know it happens. Sometimes the “Philly is the worst fanbase in history” talk rubs me the wrong way, too.

My wall of text wasn’t intended to enflame NE fans. In fact, it was the opposite. I was trying to get the point across that I respect NE for what they’ve done. When I posted about front-running fans and Spygate, those are just the smack-talk points to trot out for some good-natured ribbing between fans. I tried to get that across by comparing it to rooting for a WWF match. And I followed it up with how much i respect Bellichick, and begrudgingly give TB the GOAT title. Don’t get me wrong, I’d probably have a TB12 tattoo on my buttcheek if he played for Philly, but since he’s yours- he is a whiney, crybaby pretty boy, who gets every call and oughtta be wrapped in bubblewrap before games.

My background isn’t unique- you’re right. That was also my point. There’s hundreds and thousands of fans who have family traditions around the game of football. The game can bring us together. I talk about my pops and our tradition because that’s what the game represents to me. That’s how a lot of Philly fans feel. I wasn’t trying to claim that as mine, or even a Philly thing. That’s universal.

I hope for a good game, too. I hope the Pats play great. I hope there are no controversial calls. I hope whoever holds up the Lombardi at the end of the game can say, unequivocally, they are the best team in the NFL this year.

and, to clarify, I never said the Eagles are a dynasty. I said I see them as a possible dynasty. Shades of meaning. We have a franchise QB and 20 of our starters signed through 2020. I like where we’re headed as a team. I’m not ready to crown them, yet. You made a good point when you said “Go out and win one first.”

We’re about to.

@ProstheticRGK

Dude, I completely understand its not life and death, its all smack talk and its all GOOD! I liked most of your post and said as much.

But u can't praise BB then rip Boston, Brady, the Patriots and their fans and then feign innocence like u were really praising all of them. You say you were trying to get the point across that you respect NE but how is falsely claiming NE somehow cheated in their SB against your Eagles respect? The answer is it isn't anything close to respect, your denigrating the efforts of every single player on that team and refusing to acknowledge the much more likely scenario that they beat your team fair and square. Thats fine if thats what u want to believe, I can't change that, but don't claim u respect them when u obviously don't, not if u say stuff like that.

Again, its all good my man and I understand your a passionate fan who loves his team as do I. I certainly didn't mean anything personal I just wanted to give a Boston perspective in answer to your Philly perspective.

Should be an awesome game!

Go Pats!

@ProstheticRGK

Dude, I completely understand its not life and death, its all smack talk and its all GOOD! I liked most of your post and said as much.

But u can't praise BB then rip Boston, Brady, the Patriots and their fans and then feign innocence like u were really praising all of them. You say you were trying to get the point across that you respect NE but how is falsely claiming NE somehow cheated in their SB against your Eagles respect? The answer is it isn't anything close to respect, your denigrating the efforts of every single player on that team and refusing to acknowledge the much more likely scenario that they beat your team fair and square. Thats fine if thats what u want to believe, I can't change that, but don't claim u respect them when u obviously don't, not if u say stuff like that.

Again, its all good my man and I understand your a passionate fan who loves his team as do I. I certainly didn't mean anything personal I just wanted to give a Boston perspective in answer to your Philly perspective.

Should be an awesome game!

Go Pats!
The smack talk was just that- smack talk. Spygate was dumb, just like DeflateGate. It’s either “cheating” or “strategy” depending on who you root for. But, i know it gets under Patriot fans’ skin, so, when I’m talking smack, i throw it out there. And if you were there through Grogan and Tippett and all of the old Pats teams- good on you. But, you have to admit, any team that wins a lot is going to have nuthuggers. And before the successes, it’s odd, I hardly ever ran into any Pats fans. After the wins, a lot more fans around. Coincidence?

and let’s get something clear- the Eagles didn’t lose Super Bowl XXXIX because of cheating. They crapped the bed. It was clock management and the single ugliest 2-minute drill in the history of football, at the biggest time and on the biggest stage. It’s why, for all the love and respect I have for Big Red, I’m glad he’s Kansas City’s problem now. And for all of the respect I have for McNabb’s skill as our greatest QB ever, I’ll never forgive him for that game. They could have won that game. In my heart of hearts, they should have won that game. But they didn’t. And it wasn’t cheating that beat them; they beat themselves, and the Patriots played good football and let them.

I don’t think that happens this year. Not with this coach and not with this team. They’ll play it out on Sunday. I’m just bored, sitting around on a weekend with no football and waiting for the game.

LOL, this is funny, Pats fan claiming the Steelers cheated for those SB wins.  News flash most players were taking steroids, if not all back in 70s.  Just like almost all players are juicing today.  GTF over yourselves, you cheated repeated and got busted for it.  Dont try to change history saying only two teams cheated but they never got caught.  Not even going to mention the Refs. 
Its hardly just the Steroid use.

I never bought the book so I don't know for a fact that the following excerpt from Bradshaws book posted on a Steeler fan forum is actually in the book but afaik it has never been disputed.  

"Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball."

So do u want to claim Bradshaw was lying when he bragged about doing far worse or do u want to claim its your team so it doesn't really matter that they were essentially cheating the entire time?

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

The smack talk was just that- smack talk. Spygate was dumb, just like DeflateGate. It’s either “cheating” or “strategy” depending on who you root for. But, i know it gets under Patriot fans’ skin, so, when I’m talking smack, i throw it out there. And if you were there through Grogan and Tippett and all of the old Pats teams- good on you. But, you have to admit, any team that wins a lot is going to have nuthuggers. And before the successes, it’s odd, I hardly ever ran into any Pats fans. After the wins, a lot more fans around. Coincidence?

and let’s get something clear- the Eagles didn’t lose Super Bowl XXXIX because of cheating. They crapped the bed. It was clock management and the single ugliest 2-minute drill in the history of football, at the biggest time and on the biggest stage. It’s why, for all the love and respect I have for Big Red, I’m glad he’s Kansas City’s problem now. And for all of the respect I have for McNabb’s skill as our greatest QB ever, I’ll never forgive him for that game. They could have won that game. In my heart of hearts, they should have won that game. But they didn’t. And it wasn’t cheating that beat them; they beat themselves, and the Patriots played good football and let them.

I don’t think that happens this year. Not with this coach and not with this team. They’ll play it out on Sunday. I’m just bored, sitting around on a weekend with no football and waiting for the game.
Well thats a horse of a different color! Yes can't deny lots of fair weather band wagon fans but wanted to point out there were lots of long suffering fans as well. I think the 04 NE team was really good and the Eagles played a damn good game, but McNabb (probably could have been in better shape) was exhausted and that ultimately did them in.

Yes, too much time to kill b4 what should be an awesome game!  

I just got my latest issue of Sports Illustrated and they predicted the score to be 27-16 in favor of the Patriots.

Of course, I've had a 25+ year subscription ever since 1991.  I don't always agree with them, but they've never steered me wrong before.

I always wondered if he was concussed in that game.  You hear teammates of his talking on the radio years after and a couple of them acknowledge that he wasn't quite the same player after a hit by Teddy Bruschi. 

I always wondered if he was concussed in that game.  You hear teammates of his talking on the radio years after and a couple of them acknowledge that he wasn't quite the same player after a hit by Teddy Bruschi. 
Ya know, it’s funny. I was just looking for the footage of that hit. i remember when the whole puking thing came up... people were saying McNabb was out of shape (which he was, by NFL standards) then it came out that he was spotted drinking the night before the game, or that Friday night. Then, people pointed to the Bruschi hit. I remember watching it and seeing him get levelled with a vicious hit to the sternum. But, it’s been 10 years since I’ve watched the footage. If I find it, I’ll post it.

Pats don't blow people out in SB's,they don't score many pts, they keep it close to the vest.. this one will be no different.

Pats win a snorefest.Philly will be down 21-17  3 mins left, and Foles will toss an INT to seal the loss for the Eagles.

NE wins 21-17

Its hardly just the Steroid use.

I never bought the book so I don't know for a fact that the following excerpt from Bradshaws book posted on a Steeler fan forum is actually in the book but afaik it has never been disputed.  

"Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball."

So do u want to claim Bradshaw was lying when he bragged about doing far worse or do u want to claim its your team so it doesn't really matter that they were essentially cheating the entire time?

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
When you actually have proof that they're disciplined for cheating let me know.  Until then continue to throw stones from your glass house, typical Pats fan.

Users who are viewing this thread