What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

I see people here touting Josh Jacobs but not many mentions of him in mock drafts or rookie RB lists. 

Why?

I like Harmons size, but i cant stop noticing how he body catches almost everything. Makes me think NFL corners are going to eat him alive.

Yep. Don't like Harmon. One play, he's wide open and he's gotta wait for the ball. No one near him and he tries to body catch it. Clunks off his hands then chest. No thanks.

https://youtu.be/Sm1lm1E9yj4 at 4:41
Antonio Brown body catches literally everything.  But I don't see that from Harmon at all.  At this point he's my favorite receiver for 2019.  From that same video you posted watch again.  

0:23 - ball thrown low he scoops it, not with body, but with hands, no other way to catch it cleanly.

0:40 - finds the zone sits and catches with hands

0:58 - in route catches with hands again and brings it in, jumps when he didnt need to but whatever

1:09 - tracks over shoulder really well, QB drops it in the bucket, not suppose to be a hands catch

1:19 - snatches the ball out the air with his hands

1:28 - kind of body catches but more inside shoulder that he hauls it in, 1 slip up so far

1:38 - ball thrown behind him he goes up and gets it might look like a body catch but his arms are out because of a bad throw

2:00 - again no other way to catch that ball and keep his moment up field than a body catch.  Nit pick if you want, good play.

I stopped after that because there's 7 examples in the first 2 minutes of him basically not doing that.

The dude is purely effort based and I love that in him.  

Antonio Brown body catches literally everything.  But I don't see that from Harmon at all.  At this point he's my favorite receiver for 2019.  From that same video you posted watch again.  

0:23 - ball thrown low he scoops it, not with body, but with hands, no other way to catch it cleanly.

0:58 - in route catches with hands again and brings it in, jumps when he didnt need to but whatever

1:09 - tracks over shoulder really well, QB drops it in the bucket, not suppose to be a hands catch

1:28 - kind of body catches but more inside shoulder that he hauls it in, 1 slip up so far

1:38 - ball thrown behind him he goes up and gets it might look like a body catch but his arms are out because of a bad throw

2:00 - again no other way to catch that ball and keep his moment up field than a body catch.  Nit pick if you want, good play.

I stopped after that because there's 7 examples in the first 2 minutes of him basically not doing that.

Awesome counter post.

1:09 should have been high pointed, imo. Defender in the NFL knocks that away easily.

See Golladay here at 1:19. That's what I want to see out of my WR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTryqwETyGo He didn't have to jump and could have le the ball come down to him like Harmon. 2:22 is even better showing of high pointing the ball. Very similar to the Harmon play except the defender has turned as well to locate the ball. Yes Golladay did cradle that one and I prefer a clean hands catch above the defender.

I'll have to wait and see his combine gauntlet. If he catches it clean away from his body, I'm ok with him even with that ugly drop he had. I prefer him drafted by BALT so I can cross him off my list. Odds are I'm not taking him anyway at 1.1.

1:09 should have been high pointed, imo. Defender in the NFL knocks that away easily.

See Golladay here at 1:19. That's what I want to see out of my WR. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTryqwETyGo He didn't have to jump and could have le the ball come down to him like Harmon. 2:22 is even better showing of high pointing the ball. Very similar to the Harmon play except the defender has turned as well to locate the ball. Yes Golladay did cradle that one and I prefer a clean hands catch above the defender.

I'll have to wait and see his combine gauntlet. If he catches it clean away from his body, I'm ok with him even with that ugly drop he had. I prefer him drafted by BALT so I can cross him off my list. Odds are I'm not taking him anyway at 1.1.
I don't think anyone is advocating taking him 1.1.

Those are 2 different throws between Harmon and Golladay.  the 1:09 of Harmon and 1:19 of Golladay.  Golladay's was actually above his head more of a back shoulder than leading him because Golladay didn't actually beat his defender.  Harmon did, so the QB did his job and threw the way it should be done for that type of coverage.  When the WR beats the man and is over the top, you throw over the top.  Golladay was underneath so he throws it to him on the outside and above so he can go up and grab it.  

The 2:22 one for Golladay is much more similar, and I'd argue that's why Golladay didn't score where Harmon did doing the same catch.  He let it cradle in his arms so he can continue his momentum forward, where Golladay went up for it, basically stopped and was down.  I don't see body catches unless they are necessary, and you show 1 NFL WR who NEVER body catches and I'll shutup.  Nuk, OBJ, Michael Thomas, Tyreek (especially), and Antonio Brown all do it.  

I see people here touting Josh Jacobs but not many mentions of him in mock drafts or rookie RB lists. 

Why?
There have been quite a few NFL mocks recently that have him going in the late 1st round to KC, Philly, or Oakland.

His draft stock seems to be all over the place.  Mocks seem to either have him as the trendy top RB sometimes in the 1st round, or no sight of him through 5 rounds with 15 other backs selected.

Great job, because the last 2 minutes of the video are specifically there to show the "lowlights."  Video even stops and says so.

Seems to me all the jumping he does is because he can't track the ball over his shoulder well.

-CE- said:
Great job, because the last 2 minutes of the video are specifically there to show the "lowlights."  Video even stops and says so.

Seems to me all the jumping he does is because he can't track the ball over his shoulder well.
Ok I'll continue

2:08 - Yes he body catches, because the ball is thrown behind him

2:28 - Again thrown behind him right in his chest, you want him to aligator arm it in?  Body catch

2:38 - Body catch sure, but another one that I'd say is underthrown for him to be able to do anything other than body catch it

2:57 - Goes up and catches it WITH HIS HANDS OMG HOW RARE!!!  Not as high as I'd like but far from bad.  

3:20 - Yes another body catch, so what?

3:29 - Yes another body catch, so what?

3:39 - Over the shoulder right in the bucket, we calling this body or what?  It isn't

4:04 - Yes another body catch, but he jumped for it trying to high ball and the QB continually under-throws his 6'3 receiver.  So what?

Then the video gets into the "lowlights" some body some hands, some hands. 

Count it all up and it's basically a 50/50 split of body catches and hands catches.  

This "body catching" narrative for WR's, ANY WR, is just a joke.  Do we want them to use their hands?  Sure, does any WR always use their hands?  No, they all use their bodies at some point.  Some a little more natural with their hands than others, but Harmon is far from being stone handed or bad at catching the football.  

My point is if someone discounts a guy because he "body catches" most or some of the time, you're being hyper critical and looking for flaws rather than seeing the good, which is HE CAUGHT THE DAMN BALL.

Ok I'll continue

2:28 - Again thrown behind him right in his chest, you want him to aligator arm it in?  Body catch

2:38 - Body catch sure, but another one that I'd say is underthrown for him to be able to do anything other than body catch it

2:57 - Goes up and catches it WITH HIS HANDS OMG HOW RARE!!!  Not as high as I'd like but far from bad.  

3:39 - Over the shoulder right in the bucket, we calling this body or what?  It isn't

4:04 - Yes another body catch, but he jumped for it trying to high ball and the QB continually under-throws his 6'3 receiver.  So what?

Count it all up and it's basically a 50/50 split of body catches and hands catches.  

This "body catching" narrative for WR's, ANY WR, is just a joke.  Do we want them to use their hands?  Sure, does any WR always use their hands?  No, they all use their bodies at some point.  Some a little more natural with their hands than others, but Harmon is far from being stone handed or bad at catching the football.  

My point is if someone discounts a guy because he "body catches" most or some of the time, you're being hyper critical and looking for flaws rather than seeing the good, which is HE CAUGHT THE DAMN BALL.
As a Packer fan, body catching is what kept J'Mon Moore from seeing the field much at all this year. You can get away with it in college, but not the pros. which is why it's concerning. Body catching is a sign of a lazy wr IMO

Zyphros said:

Here is an entire video of catches where he doesnt extend his arms out and catch with his hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydgcEaqC0BI

My only point is that, a guy with his size is really only half utilizing his potential skill set by not taking advantage of his frame more.

He didnt look particularly slow, but also not a burner. So, if that is the case, he will be in a lot of contested catch scenarios against more talented competition. I would just like to see him extend more. He seemed competent otherwise. Although, I havent looked into his success along the route tree at all, tbh

Irv Smith - TE -  Crimson Tide

AL.com reports that Alabama junior TE Irv Smith will declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

This isn't surprising since Smith (6'4/241) is well regarded among draft analysts. Possibly a second-round pick, Smith possesses plus athleticism and was very productive for a collegiate tight end. In 2018, Smith posted a 44-710-7 receiving line, and he will be close to the tops in his class in both yards per target and touchdown rate. ESPN's Todd McShay seems to be the most bullish on Smith as of now, ranking him No. 31 overall in the 2019 class.

Source: AL.com 

Jan 10 - 9:19 PM

https://t.co/1qata7F8iK

News: Former Stanford tailback Bryce Love tells @YahooSports he tore his ACL in Stanford's final game. He says he's in rehab and on "path to recovery" for NFL Draft after Dr. James Andrews surgery.

https://t.co/1qata7F8iK

News: Former Stanford tailback Bryce Love tells @YahooSports he tore his ACL in Stanford's final game. He says he's in rehab and on "path to recovery" for NFL Draft after Dr. James Andrews surgery.
Was this a secret?  First I've heard about it.

ETA:  Just read it on Rotoworld.  Tough break for Love.  Should have declared last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Todd McShay said Ohio State redshirt sophomore QB Dwayne Haskins "right now would be the first quarterback off the board, then Kyler [Murray]."

McShay thinks Oklahoma redshirt junior Kyler Murray is a first round pick but couldn't go as far as saying he's a No. 1 overall candidate. It seems that of the quarterbacks, only Haskins is a legit No. 1 overall candidate at the moment, but we are still early in the process. Haskins had an impressive 50/8 TD/INT ratio across 14 games, and QB-needy teams in the top-13 will certainly be doing their homework on Haskins, Murray, Daniel Jones, and Drew Lock, but a lot of the debate will be centered around Haskins and Murray.

Source: ESPN.com 

Jan 10 - 8:42 PM

Ok I'll continue

2:08 - ball was thrown soft, not behind him.  Maybe he had to slow down, but he body caught it where he could have attacked it with his hands.

2:28 - body caught the ball but did so possibly to maintain his momentum.  He gets a pass here.

2:38 - body caught the ball while jumping unnecessarily, afraid of the traffic, still made the catch against two defenders.  I don't see the underthrow, it was thrown to where he has to make a slight move inside to catch it.  He gets a pass here... but at what point is this, body catching and jumping unnecessarily, a trend?

2:57 - you sound defensive little one.  This was a great play, he wins a 50-50 ball with athleticism and concentration to bring it down with a bit of juggling.

3:20 - oh, so we don't care about body catching then?  Why are you responding here when you're clearly wrong about the topic.

3:29 - oh, so we don't care about body catching then?  Why are you responding here when you're clearly wrong about the topic.

3:39 - it's a good play and shows off his ability to track the ball over the shoulder, something that I think he struggles with.  He gets a pass here.

4:04 - jump ball that he makes a play on with a body catch.  Would have preferred he grabs it with his hands and takes it away.

And now - for the lowlights, but don't watch this part, would hate for you to have a complete picture of him come draft time.  

4:23 - attempts to catch it with his hands against tight coverage, drops it.  

4:34 - comes back for a body catch, wide open, hits him in the numbers (body catch) drops it. 

4:48 - slightly high throw, he attempts to catch with hands, drops it.

5:04 - diving attempt to catch the ball over his shoulder with this hands in the end zone drops it.  Would have been a spectacular play and the best of this video had he made the catch.  No fault there, but someone with great hands makes that catch.  His hands are not together when they should be and it looks like the ball sails between them.  There could have been contact, but something like that is a hand-to-eye coordination issue that really shows itself when you're tracking the ball over your shoulder.

Catching the ball with your body is something coaches start trying to train out of their players in Pop Warner.  It's literally the first thing receivers are taught not to do.  There are times when body catching is the best available option, but it's seldom, and no where near as often as Harmon does it.  The reason body catching becomes a problem is at the next level the defender is there to hit you/strip while you're trying to treat the ball like a newborn infant in your arms.  

Lots of wide receivers tested well physically in the combine and CAUGHT THE DAMN BALL that turned out to be duds in the pros.  So yeah, that's why we "nitpick" and "nitpicking" over a WR's ability to catch the ball with his hands as opposed to body catching - well, that's not nitpicking.  That's a pretty critical skill that we shouldn't be talking about when a player is declaring for the NFL.

oh, so we don't care about body catching then?  Why are you responding here when you're clearly wrong about the topic.

Lots of wide receivers tested well physically in the combine and CAUGHT THE DAMN BALL that turned out to be duds in the pros.  So yeah, that's why we "nitpick" and "nitpicking" over a WR's ability to catch the ball with his hands as opposed to body catching - well, that's not nitpicking.  That's a pretty critical skill that we shouldn't be talking about when a player is declaring for the NFL.
I watched the whole video but thanks for your breakdown.  How am I clearly wrong?  There are very clear examples of both body catches and hands catches like I said.  He doesn't seem to favor one over the other with it literally being a 50/50 split.  Even in the lowlights which I just didn't explain, it's half and half.  

Everyone who makes a big deal out of body catching is just looking for negative and when it is half and half.  I don't know for sure but when it is relatively split on technique for any athlete that usually means they're phasing something out of their skills and working on it.  As a coach myself I know that to be true, I just don't know if that's what Harmon is doing. 

It's being hyper critical of something you think is a negative so you enhance it and blow it out of perportion, whether that's conscious or unconscious.  Some of the throws in that same video are bad throws that he makes a play like you even mention, and yet you're too focused on the bad to see that he made a play.  At the end of it all that's what it comes down to.  

I watched the whole video but thanks for your breakdown.  How am I clearly wrong?  There are very clear examples of both body catches and hands catches like I said.  He doesn't seem to favor one over the other with it literally being a 50/50 split.  Even in the lowlights which I just didn't explain, it's half and half.  

Everyone who makes a big deal out of body catching is just looking for negative and when it is half and half.  I don't know for sure but when it is relatively split on technique for any athlete that usually means they're phasing something out of their skills and working on it.  As a coach myself I know that to be true, I just don't know if that's what Harmon is doing. 

It's being hyper critical of something you think is a negative so you enhance it and blow it out of perportion, whether that's conscious or unconscious.  Some of the throws in that same video are bad throws that he makes a play like you even mention, and yet you're too focused on the bad to see that he made a play.  At the end of it all that's what it comes down to.  
I get where you're coming from, but to me it's a very critical part of a receivers skill set.  How good is a route tree when you don't use your hands to instinctively take the ball out of the air and secure it.  Watching Chris Carter go through his hand strengthening exercises as a kid was eye popping to me.  To the elite receivers being called a body catcher is an insult. 

At the end of the day, a catch is a catch - but so is a ball that's knocked loose or dropped because you used your body to catch it.  

As a Packer fan, body catching is what kept J'Mon Moore from seeing the field much at all this year. You can get away with it in college, but not the pros. which is why it's concerning. Body catching is a sign of a lazy wr IMO
If you are a body catcher, you better have a damn accurate passer because it's a habit and you will try to get yourself into position to body catch it instead of reaching out and plucking it. Put a body catcher with Newton and he's a bad WR.

If you are a body catcher, you better have a damn accurate passer because it's a habit and you will try to get yourself into position to body catch it instead of reaching out and plucking it. Put a body catcher with Newton and he's a bad WR.
For some reason Kelvin Benjamin keeps coming to my mind when I think of wrs who catch with their bodies. 

I would ask Zyphros to name one stud WR who predominantly catches with his body

you're wrong on that
Oh that's nice I'm wrong on that because you say so.

I've watched most, if not all Steelers games the past 15 years, he's a body catcher.  But being that isn't a death sentence like some think.  

Kelvin Benjamin isn't even close to the poster boy for that either.  He high points the ball one hell of a lot.

I'm done with this "body catching" discussion.  

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah calls UC Davis senior WR Keelan Doss a "good player."

Rams slot receiver Cooper Kupp quote tweeted Jeremiah's original tweet saying, "Keelan can play!!!" We have been fans of Doss (6'3/206) all season long, and the production just kept coming. By season's end, Doss acquired a massive 118-1,334-9 receiving line for the UC Davis Aggies. Aside from production, Doss has an NFL-ready frame and NFL scouts have Doss squarely on their radar at the Day 2/Day 3 turn.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 

Jan 11 - 7:09 PM

KB did body catch a ton when he was in Carolina. Yes he makes some high point catches too, but he and Funcess both are anything but natural hands catchers as Mayock would say. Fortunately DJ Moore can and Samuel seem to be able to catch with their hands. ;)

Dr. Dan said:
you're wrong on that
Actually I'm inclined to say he is correct. So says his combine analysis. Never really paid attention to his catching style.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276

He has decent hands but it looks like the ball gets big on him at times and he traps too many passes in his body.

You can see a typically bad technique right here at the 1:30 mark.  https://youtu.be/vnYWLZThFVk?t=90 Even worse at 1:44. That's awful technique. However there are other highlights showing he does catch it away from his body.

He's got great hand eye coordination and he also has an accurate QB for the most part. If I recall before he lost his mind he also really worked his ### off catching the ball in practice.

Yes Harmon can become something but he's not near the top of my list and would only move up if he was drafted by Indy, SF or the Jets.

Memphis redshirt junior RB Tony Pollard declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Pollard (6'0/208) was an explosive player at Memphis and will leave college with tied for the most career kick-return touchdowns (7). There's a path to making a 53-man roster as a returner, but Pollard has also been an effective offensive player. As a redshirt junior, Pollard averaged 7.1 yards and scored six touchdowns on his 78 carries and posted a 39-458-3 receiving line. Pollard should test well at the NFL Combine as well, so there's a chance that Darrell Henderson isn't the only Memphis running back that will be drafted.

Source: Commercial Appeal 

Jan 12 - 3:08 PM

Greedy Williams - DB -  Tigers

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah says, "It’s a challenge sorting the CBs in this draft."

Jeremiah doesn't believe that the 2019 CB class has a high-end prospect like Denzel Ward, but there are "several really good players" making it a tough task to separate the top prospects at the position. That means Jeremiah doesn't believe in Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, or other corners as elite prospects. Back in December, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller called Williams a "top-15 lock" and The Athletic's Dane Brugler recently mocked Williams to the Jets with the No. 5 overall pick. There seems to be some disagreement here.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 

Jan 11 - 7:19 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler calls Maryland senior RB Ty Johnson a "sleeper ready to emerge" in his East-West Shrine Game Preview.

Johnson (5'9/205) averaged 7.7 yards on his 66 carries in 2018, but he finished with the third most all-purpose yards (4,196) in Maryland's football history. 1,194 of those yards came on kick returns, and he's expected to compete for kick-return duties in the NFL. However, "it wouldn’t be a surprise" to Brugler if Johnson had a better NFL career than college career as a rusher.

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 12 - 4:52 PM

Shawn Poindexter - WR -  Wildcats

The Athletic's Dane Brugler called Arizona redshirt senior WR Shawn Poindexter a "sleeper ready to emerge" in his East-West Shrine Game Preview.

Brugler lists DaMarkus Lodge as the highest-rated receiver in the game and says Terry Goodwin has the most to gain. For Poindexter, Brugler is intrigued by his height and volleyball history -- he signed with Cal Baptist to play volleyball before switching to football. There are some concerns with Poindexter's route running and strength, but that's not scaring Brugler away from saying "Poindexter could be a riser after this week."

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 12 - 4:39 PM

Georgia State redshirt junior WR Penny Hart accepted an invite to the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Hart (5'9/180) has been "the best receiver in the Sun Belt since his freshman season" according to Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy. As a freshman, Hart scored eight touchdowns and picked up 1,109 receiving yards, but he never was able to beat those numbers. In 2018, Hart hard a down season -- quarterback play was certainly a factor into that -- but still managed to post a 49-669-2 receiving line. The Senior Bowl is the perfect way to see if Hart can hang with NFL-caliber players.

Source: Jim Nagy on Twitter 

Jan 13 - 11:16 AM

Gotta feel bad for the WR that gets the Breshad Perriman treatment (exiled to BALT). I do not want Metcalf to go to BUF. Was just reading up on Allen. Apparently he throws only when he sees a guy open. Want him in CLE. or IND.
yes, swap Harmon to Baltimore and it's a perfect draft

Users who are viewing this thread