What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doug Martin released (1 Viewer)

I'm more interested in what Tampa does now. 'Quizz seemed to be almost totally phased out of the offense at the end of the season. Sims seems to have settled in as just a returner. Barber looked really good, but in a small sample at the end of the season and he doesn't have much of a pedigree. TB seems out of range for Barkley but not Juice and obviously the many RB's that could be available in the 2nd round or later. Perhaps they go RB in the 3rd or later and have that guy and Barber compete for the starting spot?

Gally said:
I can almost guarantee he doesn't have $20M in the bank.....
He could easily have north of 10. He made 13m the past two years, even accounting for management fees that's doable

Is it likely? Probably not, depending on lifestyle, which I know nothing about

msommer said:
He made about 20m, is 29, still clear in the head and able to move. Knees in good shape.

I'd walk away
Plus it seems like he's never loved football. He's had ups and downs, been it and of shape, battled weight issues. Hopefully he was smart with his money, maybe even cashed in on some sponsorship deals after his monster rookie year. 

Andy Dufresne said:
What a strange career.
Also is a reminder for how quick and wildly a player's outlook can swing. After his rookie year, this guy was valued like a Kareem Hunt is now. 2 years after that, he was being written off as Trent Richardson 2.0. Then he pops off for 1600 yards and is back on the map as a top 10 RB. 2 years later and we are wondering if should retire. 

The time of the stud rb (with some exceptions has ended).  There is elite and then there is a hodge podge of rbs that nobody seems to care about.  Martin was the second coming not too long ago.

Statorama said:
If I had 20M in the bank I'd be on a beach in Maui drinking margaritas and counting sunsets
If I was 29 years old with $20M in the bank and the thing I did that got me the $20M would literally evaporate anytime but for sure within a few years I'd be doing all I could right now to get that number to 21+M. He's got the rest of his life to sit on a beach and get fat.

No reason to suspect that. His contract situation is reason enough for him to be released. He would've cost $7 million against the cap but was released with $0 dead money. 
He was notorious for his party issues and had a stint in rehab before this coming season. 

If I was 29 years old with $20M in the bank and the thing I did that got me the $20M would literally evaporate anytime but for sure within a few years I'd be doing all I could right now to get that number to 21+M. He's got the rest of his life to sit on a beach and get fat.
What if every year you did that increased the odds that you would suffer concussion related symptoms or joint pain later in life? I'd cash out at $10MM. 

On a fantasy note, I expect him to latch on somewhere. Wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a big role, but stranger things have happened. Remember the time the Giants went into the season with Paul Perkins as their starter? He went off the board in WSL1 as RB71 to me. I don't think anybody is expecting much. Maybe a backup gig in Houston since they can't really count on Foreman after that injury. Seattle seems destined to keep swapping RBs around until it learns that the OL was the problem all along. The Jets could use some help behind Powell.

On a fantasy note, I expect him to latch on somewhere. Wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for a big role, but stranger things have happened. Remember the time the Giants went into the season with Paul Perkins as their starter? He went off the board in WSL1 as RB71 to me. I don't think anybody is expecting much. Maybe a backup gig in Houston since they can't really count on Foreman after that injury. Seattle seems destined to keep swapping RBs around until it learns that the OL was the problem all along. The Jets could use some help behind Powell.
So Mike Davis or Doug?

I am just going by previous posters, but if he made 20 million in his career he is lucky if he has 5 million saved. 

Also is a reminder for how quick and wildly a player's outlook can swing. After his rookie year, this guy was valued like a Kareem Hunt is now. 2 years after that, he was being written off as Trent Richardson 2.0. Then he pops off for 1600 yards and is back on the map as a top 10 RB. 2 years later and we are wondering if should retire. 
Kareem Hunt?  More like Ezekiel Elliot.

Dude was a consensus top 3 startup pick headed into his sophomore year.

Kareem Hunt?  More like Ezekiel Elliot.

Dude was a consensus top 3 startup pick headed into his sophomore year.
True- I was making the connection more on 1 year of surprisingly great production. Martin came into the NFL with more hype than Hunt, but nobody was calling him a potential 1x in a generation prospect like they were with Zeke. 

Buckna said:
I'm more interested in what Tampa does now. 'Quizz seemed to be almost totally phased out of the offense at the end of the season. Sims seems to have settled in as just a returner. Barber looked really good, but in a small sample at the end of the season and he doesn't have much of a pedigree. TB seems out of range for Barkley but not Juice and obviously the many RB's that could be available in the 2nd round or later. Perhaps they go RB in the 3rd or later and have that guy and Barber compete for the starting spot?
Not necessarily.  There were some rumblings that NFL GMs weren't as high on Barkley as draftniks.  And draftniks seem to be adjusting to that as I'm seeing more and more mocks come out with Barkley falling to TB or SF.

Regardless, I've seen nary a mock where TB didn't select a RB in the first 3 rounds even before Martin was cut.

I really got burned by that TNF game earlier this year when he came back from suspension.  He looked great.  Then proceeded to go 20/45/0 every game after that.  Though I kept starting him because of that stupid TNF game.

Hope he retires so I never even have to consider drafting/ starting this turd ever again

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread