What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (2 Viewers)

Bad competition? When Penny played in the Senior Bowl he smoked some of the best players in the country. He can't pass protect or catch passes? No that's just patently false and if it was true the Seahawks, would have not drafted him in the first round. Do you think you know more than their own scouting team who spend every hour of every day breaking film down? I don't think so, but you are entitled to your opinion.

SDSU ran with a fullback like a lot of other teams do......this is ridiculous.

He will not be a bust, I can guarantee you that. Tell you what, your post will not age well. I'll be back to remind you.

You obviously are heavily invested in Penny.  If everything you are saying is true, how is he not the bell cow in SEA right now?  It’s not like he’s sitting behind a well established stud RB.  It seems like he has had every opportunity to win the starting job and can’t get it done.  RB is the easiest position for players to assimilate into the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least if he is overweight he has an excuse. Otherwise he is just sucking to this point.
Has he really sucked or just stuck behind two RBs playing well? I have only seen on Seahawks game and he looked good when he got the ball - albeit nothing special. If I owned him I’d be fairly disappointed with his lack of usage but I would still have some encouragement in that Carroll still seems to believe.

Holy #### this thread has turned into a #### show!

It's October no one should give two ##### where anyone was drafted at this point.
I understand what you are saying but it’s not entirely true - because the reality is as a first round pick, Penny will be given many more chances to succeed than a late round draft pick or an UDFA.

I understand what you are saying but it’s not entirely true - because the reality is as a first round pick, Penny will be given many more chances to succeed than a late round draft pick or an UDFA.

Very true in many cases.  Once TC starts, all that should matter is performance, both tangible and intangible.  Good coaches and GMs understand that.  But a lot of them get involved in draft status, $$$ paid for FAs, and ego - and it does nothing but damage the team.  The players can easily see who does and doesn’t belong on the field, and which players the O and D should run through.

Yes he played against bad competition.  SDSU doesn't exactly have an SEC or Big 10 schedule.  1 game does not make a 4 year career.

He was rated as one of the worst pass protecting backs in the draft.  

He caught 42 total passes in 4 years.  

Most teams do not run with a FB and TWO TE's on 90% of plays.  There was only team in division 1 that did.  That was SDSU.  

Do I think I know more than Seattle scout team?  Well, maybe.  If I was Seattle's scout team there is a 0% chance I would have taken a RB there.  And if I was forced to take a RB there is a 0% chance I would have taken Penny over Guice or Chubb.  The fact that Seattle's scout team thought Penny was better than Guice/Chubb and took him over an OLineman is pure ignorance.  Therefore, I would have done a better job...at least with that pick.

You can't guarantee anything.  The dude is gar-baaaaage.  And fat.  And lazy.  And bad.  ;-) 
Just out of curiosity which lineman do you think the Seahawks should have selected instead of Penny?

If you think scouting offensive linemen is easy I would like to know what traits in linemen your looking for?

Of course but 1) we all know that it should be implied (or minimally stated) and B) that wasn't the part of the discussion that turned this thread into a #$$# show.

Yes he played against bad competition.  SDSU doesn't exactly have an SEC or Big 10 schedule.  1 game does not make a 4 year career.

He was rated as one of the worst pass protecting backs in the draft.  

He caught 42 total passes in 4 years.  

Most teams do not run with a FB and TWO TE's on 90% of plays.  There was only team in division 1 that did.  That was SDSU.  

Do I think I know more than Seattle scout team?  Well, maybe.  If I was Seattle's scout team there is a 0% chance I would have taken a RB there.  And if I was forced to take a RB there is a 0% chance I would have taken Penny over Guice or Chubb.  The fact that Seattle's scout team thought Penny was better than Guice/Chubb and took him over an OLineman is pure ignorance.  Therefore, I would have done a better job...at least with that pick.

You can't guarantee anything.  The dude is gar-baaaaage.  And fat.  And lazy.  And bad.  ;-) 
Wow! This is unbelievable. He is definitely not garbage. The guy is a beast. I have no doubt he's going to prove you wrong, will you be man enough to come back and admit it when he does?

Wow! This is unbelievable. He is definitely not garbage. The guy is a beast. I have no doubt he's going to prove you wrong, will you be man enough to come back and admit it when he does?
I hope you're right as I own this guy but how long does he need to keep getting beaten out by UDFA's until you admit that he's not cut out for the NFL?

I didn’t see the game but he got some touches. Anyone see if his touches were meaningful at all?

I didn’t see the game but he got some touches. Anyone see if his touches were meaningful at all?
Not really.  Carson started, with Davis in relief.  Penny sprinkled in here and there semi-randomly, although he had some decent plays. 

Game was out of hand early, so nothing to be gleaned about future usage IMO.

Had a screen pass on the 1st drive and I don't remember seeing him again until the 4th quarter.

The field was pretty slippery so they probably didn't want to risk the future of their franchise on a blowout game.

I’m not sure if this was mentioned earlier but it says in one of his scouting reports that he plays slow when he’s learning. If that’s true, you definitely want to hold on to him to see if the game slows down and he takes over the job during our playoff runs. I’m not looking for committee backs on my bench, I’m looking for league winners and penny has the potential to be that.

Rashaad Penny did not touch the ball on offense in Seattle's Week 8 win over the Lions.

Penny's zero-touch day was somewhat surprising one week after he got the ball 11 times against the Raiders. Chris Carson had 27 handles in Detroit, while Mike Davis had 11. Penny will be off the radar for Week 9 against the Chargers.

Oct 28 - 6:12 P

First 100 yd game against the Rams on 11 carries. They’re inferior NCAA competition right?

Would love for Pete and co. to give him a fair shake. The 15+ yd runs today were exactly what I think they took him as highly as they did for. Each came with a broken or forced miss tackle and speed at the second level. Unfortunately he was still pulled in hurry up and goal line from what I saw. Carson won’t be out long either. Perhaps he’s been slow learning the offense or nuances but it is a breath of fresh air to see him do the things he did in college against a good defense. 

Talking about Rashaad Penny's breakout performance on Sunday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said, "He looked just like the guy we thought he would look like when we drafted him."

Penny exploded for 108 yards and a touchdown on just 12 carries against the Rams after amassing 146 yards on the first 42 carries of his career. "Today he busted out," Carroll said. "I thought today he needed it so badly. He knows he’s a great player. He just hasn’t been able to demonstrate it." Penny had been firmly behind both Chris Carson and Mike Davis on the depth chart, but this performance will almost certainly lead to more work for the first rounder. Penny should be added in all formats to see how things shake out.

Source: Seattle Times 

Nov 12 - 9:33 AM

Saw his week 10 highlights.  That jump cut is filthy.  And when he gets in open space he has that extra gear to hit the home run.  He didn't receive a target in week 10 but he can also catch.  He could be that league winner down the stretch...1st round pedigree, size and speed combo.  Seahawks are one of the top running teams in the NFL deploying a 2 back system.  It's their identity so the situation is right.  The question marks are warranted but I feel like the Shark pool has been sleeping on this situation somewhat.  I picked up Penny for free last week after waivers to take advantage.

when I saw not a single catch and only 12 carries I was reminded of what an idiot Pete Carrol is.
I view this as "wow he has more upside".  All season they have given him opportunities in the passing game (9 rec 12 targets 75 yards).  But Seattle is a run first team.  So I wonder if PC's mindset has shifted that Penny is now at least 1st, 2nd down bruiser with home run potential.  And Mike Davis is 3rd down back.  The boxscore shows that as Penny lead MD in carries 12 - 11.

Week 10 was supposed to be the Mike Davis show.  I'm willing to bet on the 1st round talent over the player who will be a free agent after this year.

Penny was on FIRE yesterday.

What does FIRE get him? 12 carries and not a catch. 

A back who was drafted so highly (I have to assume) because he is a fantastic pass catcher on top of beastly runner.

I just don't understand how that gamescript, combined w his performance, led to only 12 carries. I'm glad they lost.

Penny was on FIRE yesterday.

What does FIRE get him? 12 carries and not a catch. 

A back who was drafted so highly (I have to assume) because he is a fantastic pass catcher on top of beastly runner.

I just don't understand how that gamescript, combined w his performance, led to only 12 carries. I'm glad they lost.
His opportunities has to rise.  Seahawks have ran 288 times for 32 carries per game.  Passed 247 for 27 attempts per game.  Penny needs at least 15 carries per game sprinkle in 2 or 3 targets per game.  The other 15 or so carries for Wilson/insert Sea RB.  Carson is injury prone.  Penny has a real chance to take over.

Little early to be making declarations one way or another. He had a good game, could be the start of something it it could be the broken clock principle.

And it's important to remember that Carson has looked very good as well.

Yeah, screw him trying to win games and make the playoffs. 

I'VE GOT A FANTASY TITLE ON THE LINE HERE PETE!!!
I’m not the one who looks like an idiot for wasting a first on a RB and then sitting him on the bench for 75% of the season so far. The Seahawks and Giants look like clowns.

If they were trying to win as you suggest they wouldn’t have drafted a running back. Also I don’t care what your opinion is, I’m allowed to #####.

I’m not the one who looks like an idiot for wasting a first on a RB and then sitting him on the bench for 75% of the season so far. The Seahawks and Giants look like clowns.

If they were trying to win as you suggest they wouldn’t have drafted a running back. Also I don’t care what your opinion is, I’m allowed to #####.
My understanding is, Pete Carroll doesn't make the draft picks.

My understanding is, Pete Carroll doesn't make the draft picks.
That would make some sense.

I think a coaching staff should be aligned with the front office and be a major factor in their decision making process. The good teams seem to do this, the bad ones don't.

That said Seattle has been a very successful team despite this miscommunication between the coaching staff and front office and they are doing better than I expected so far this season.

he showed up overweight and looked like #### most of the year...a few good runs and now you want to anoint him?
He hasn’t looked like #### most of the year. He has a 6.2 ypc after week 4. No, I don’t want to annoit him. I want Carson to sit out another week to actually give him an extended look. Sorry I like RB’s that break repeated +15 yard runs. It’s awful, I know.

Also, I would like to believe anyone with a fantasy team would like some clarity in Seattle. It’s not like I’m devoid of owning Carson or Davis anywhere. Right now all three are unstartable until after the Thursday game in my estimation.

That would make some sense.

I think a coaching staff should be aligned with the front office and be a major factor in their decision making process. The good teams seem to do this, the bad ones don't.

That said Seattle has been a very successful team despite this miscommunication between the coaching staff and front office and they are doing better than I expected so far this season.
I don't think there's any miscommunication between the coaching staff and the front office. Pete Carroll and John Schneider have repeatedly, year after year, reiterated how much the coaches and the scouts work together to identify the qualities they want in drafted players and undrafted free agents. The problem with Penny was not that the coaches didn't like him or didn't want him, but that he injured himself in preseason, that he never ran out of shotgun in college, and that the Seahawks run out of shotgun about 70% of the time. After missing all of his opportunities in preseason to practice taking the handoff from shotgun it took some time to get used to the difference. Just last week, Carroll was talking about how close Penny was, how much explosiveness they'd seen from him in practice, and that we were all going to be seeing it soon.

This all could have been Carroll speak, of course, but I've been following the team very closely as a fan for the last 8 years and it sounded like Carroll was genuinely enthusiastic about Penny for the second half of the season in the same way that he was really excited about Chris Carson and Tre Flowers early on.

If you can get Penny in Dynasty, grab him. He has a weird type of acceleration that doesn't look fast or explosive, but it's really effective, and he's got the frame and discipline to run inside. I don't know how much of a carry share he'll get for the rest of the year, but I picked him up for redraft last week,  but didn't start. 

Also, I would like to believe anyone with a fantasy team would like some clarity in Seattle. It’s not like I’m devoid of owning Carson or Davis anywhere. Right now all three are unstartable until after the Thursday game in my estimation.
The problem is that all three of the RBs look good.  Carson has looked the best to me but also seems to injured a lot.  Penny looked great but it was a small sample size.  If I was going to gamble, I would add Penny to my roster since Carson is likely to be injured again and Penny should do well.   

Users who are viewing this thread