What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anthony Miller WR Houston Texans (2 Viewers)

Only referring to the couple highlight catches I watched, but Miller didn't look explosive.  I would actaully say he looked slower than I would expect.  Anyone else talk me back on this?

Only referring to the couple highlight catches I watched, but Miller didn't look explosive.  I would actaully say he looked slower than I would expect.  Anyone else talk me back on this?
I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. He didn't look fast, but not slow either. If that makes sense

He looked okay as far as athleticism. I was impressed with his route running and awareness. He made a few good catches. 

I don't see him as a big speedy guy (although he isn't slow on paper), but rather more of a Cris Carter sort of player- catches everything thrown to him. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. 

He looked okay as far as athleticism. I was impressed with his route running and awareness. He made a few good catches. 

I don't see him as a big speedy guy (although he isn't slow on paper), but rather more of a Cris Carter sort of player- catches everything thrown to him. 
Fair.  I haven't gotten to watch much of him this year, but that long catch/run (non-TD) looked slower than expected.  Maybe because he couldn't split and pull away from the defenders.  I was more impressed with his contested catches.  Still high on the guy.

Fair.  I haven't gotten to watch much of him this year, but that long catch/run (non-TD) looked slower than expected.  Maybe because he couldn't split and pull away from the defenders.  I was more impressed with his contested catches.  Still high on the guy.
Yes, I was surprised he wasn't "gone" after he broke that tackle. I can agree on that. 

He'll be a very solid WR for years to come. Glad to see him catching on quickly as many knocked his age in dynasty. Next year is going to be dangerous. 

I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. He didn't look fast, but not slow either. If that makes sense

i've heard consistent praise about these. especially how he understands how to play against different coverages. he knows how to find the open spot/route in the zone as well as use his body to go after catches. his desire to be great is a big plus, i think. Trub has issues with accuracy downfield so Miller's ability to adjust is crucial.

I can typically find him on the field, not by his number, but by how he flails his arms when making cuts.  ?

I remember reading an article where Steve Smith said he was one of this favorite players coming into this class, that was the main reason I put him on my draft radar ;)

I'm a big pimper, but agree, top end speed is not there. But it wasn't there when I watched his tape either. I more love his hands and ability to get open. Two mildly imporant traits for a WR. :) The Chris Carter comp IMO is pretty apposite. He'll just kill you in the midfield and sideline stuff but he's not taking a WR screen or quick slant to the house OBJ style.

Rig24 said:
I don't think your observation is off. Miller is not a pure speed WR like Gabriel for example. The way he wins is by understanding defenses and running good routes.

In my view the technique and football intelligence are traits which are most important for players to have.

Take Corderrelle Patterson for example. Great speed, explosive moves with the ball in his hands.

Cannot run a route with proper timing to save his life.

I will take route running and understanding of defenses over pure athleticism every day.

Anthony Miller - WR -  Bears

Anthony Miller caught 3-of-5 targets for 34 yards in the Bears' Wild Card loss to the Eagles.

Miller had a long catch taken off the board due to a fumble with no clear recovery call that brought the ball back to spot of the previous play. The second-round rookie caught seven touchdowns to lead the Bears and totaled 36 catches for 457 yards across 16 games. He was fifth on the team in receiving as the No. 3 receiver. Miller disappeared for much of the second half of the season following a 5-122-1 blowup against the Lions in Week 10. From Week 11 on, Miller caught a total of 12 passes for 125 yards, but three went for scores. Miller is probably going to fill the same role in 2019 with Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel still under contract.

Jan 6 - 9:32 PM

2019 outlook?

Awesome route runner, but in general the dynasty community has him rated really low

Hinderly has him at 37, which seems low since he played the entire season with a bad shoulder that needed surgery and still did well. 

He has Pettis 31. seems absurd

Last edited by a moderator:
2019 outlook?

Awesome route runner, but in general the dynasty community has him rated really low

Hinderly has him at 37, which seems low since he played the entire season with a bad shoulder that needed surgery and still did well. 

He has Pettis 31. seems absurd
Interested in this as well. He is near the back end of my Dyno roster and may have to make a tough decision on whether I keep him (only 18 spots). Like the route running and end zone production. Not 100% convinced on Mitch and the offense seems to spread it around. May only have WR2 upside at most.

Interested in this as well. He is near the back end of my Dyno roster and may have to make a tough decision on whether I keep him (only 18 spots). Like the route running and end zone production. Not 100% convinced on Mitch and the offense seems to spread it around. May only have WR2 upside at most.
I agree on the WR2 upside. 

I was offered 1.10 and Royce Freeman for him and my projected late 2020 1st. 

I think I value him more than Freeman... He had 7 TDs last year and is an amazing route runner, which I love. 

I agree on the WR2 upside. 

I was offered 1.10 and Royce Freeman for him and my projected late 2020 1st. 

I think I value him more than Freeman... He had 7 TDs last year and is an amazing route runner, which I love. 
1.10 + Royce Freeman feels about right, without your 2020 1st.

Bears coach Matt Nagy expects Anthony Miller (shoulder surgery) to be ready for training camp.

Miller was limited throughout the offseason program after going under the knife in January but has avoided setbacks. Under the hood, Miller's rookie numbers were quite impressive, especially since his shoulder was an issue for much of the year. Even with Mitchell Trubisky at the controls, Miller could take a nice step forward as a sophomore.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 3:23 PM ET

The Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer reports Anthony Miller (ankle) could play a limited role in the first few weeks of the season.

Sidelined since August 10 with a sprained right ankle, Miller is logically behind on the nuances in coach Matt Nagy's playbook since the 24-year-old also missed OTAs and minicamp while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery. Nagy himself said Miller's biggest challenge is "getting the offense down" and "that route timed up with the quarterback." Even if his reps are scaled back to start the year, Miller's pure athleticism and skill won't be denied long-term. Riley Ridley and Marvin Hall are names to monitor if Miller is unavailable in Chicago's season opener.

SOURCE: Chicago Tribune

Aug 22, 2019, 12:17 AM ET

Tough start to this guys career with the injuries. Unfortunately this is how some guys career trajectory starts to fade. Hopefully he can get healthy as there are a few other Bear WRs making noise (Ridley, Wims). 

Anthony Miller (ankle) returned to practice.

Miller missed two weeks with an ankle sprain, and it was serious enough for Chicago Tribune's Dan Wiederer to project Miller for a limited role to start the season. That still may be the case, but Miller returning with more than a week until the Bears kick off the season is great news. As a rookie last year, Miller showed promise by scoring seven touchdowns on limited targets. There are some mouths to feed, but Miller is a stash on the bench.

SOURCE: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter

Aug 26, 2019, 3:41 PM ET

Anthony Miller came up empty on his lone target Thursday in the Bears’ Week 1 loss to Green Bay.

Miller, who was practically invisible on Thursday night, wasn't targeted until the fourth quarter. Notably, he saw fewer snaps than 2018 seventh-rounder Javon Sims, who was on the field for 20 of the Bears' 71 offensive plays compared to just 15 for Miller. Tarik Cohen essentially operated as Chicago's slot receiver, leading the team with eight catches. It's possible the Bears were easing Miller in after missing the bulk of camp with a sprained ankle. Whatever the reason for his scarce usage, we wouldn't expect much from Miller when Chicago faces Denver on the road in Week 2.

Sep 6, 2019, 12:58 AM ET

Seems like a reasonable time to say that I will never understand the hype over this guy. Sell in dynasty if you still can.
Covered this extensively in the  Bears thread after the crapfest tonight.   

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753328-chicago-bears-thread-2019-and-same-old-bears/?do=findComment&comment=22128856

Apparently getting over an ankle injury, plus a knucklehead to boot.  I expanded on it. (and hes now on my bench not a WR3 in one league lol)

TZM

Not sure why I drafted this guy.  It was a late pick but still stupid since there is no upside.  Miller will be the first waiver. 

Covered this extensively in the  Bears thread after the crapfest tonight.   

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753328-chicago-bears-thread-2019-and-same-old-bears/?do=findComment&comment=22128856

Apparently getting over an ankle injury, plus a knucklehead to boot.  I expanded on it. (and hes now on my bench not a WR3 in one league lol)

TZM
It could be that, but I think the real issue is that Cohen played 46 snaps and 36 of them were in the slot and 8 were out wide. It seems Gabriel held onto his WR2 spot and Cohen stole Miller's WR3 spot.

So this clown coach is using a hack wr who has never done anything of relevance as a RB (Patterson) and mediocre RBs as WR. Genius.
Well I played against the dude last night so that’s good. But as a dynasty owner not so good. The bad is quoted here. Nagy seems like a total clown. Like he’s the smartest guy in room and he can just plug whoever into magical system without any game reps and it’s going to roll smoothly. So stupid not to give his young qb and young surrounding talent reps in the preseason. They couldn’t have looked less prepared. 

As for Miller, you have to think the ankle thing and subsequent lack of practice time/conditioning was a big part in his lack of a role. There’s no way Cohen is a better slot receiver than he is. I expect he’ll work his way back into the full time slot role. Dynasty wise you’ve got a few black marks starting to add up- he was old as rookie, he’s had several injuries, probably a trash qb, his coach has been quoted as saying he’s not always been in the right place on the field leading me to believe he might not have it all between the ears. Loved him coming out. Starting to fade some.

Mitch is garbage too.  It's going to be a long year.  Hoping for a few good games so I can unload him in my last remaining dynasty league where I have him. 

Dr. Dan said:
on the plus side, cats out of the bag- play 8 in the box. trubisky will be forced to throw a lot 
Trubisky is not horrible.  He will improve but I'm not sure that helps Miller.   Miller isn't that good.  

Miller is droppable in redraft.  In dynasty I would try to get something for him and unload him.  His injuries are concerning and the team situation isn't going to improve anytime soon.

Miller is droppable in redraft.  In dynasty I would try to get something for him and unload him.  His injuries are concerning and the team situation isn't going to improve anytime soon.
This advice is ok for redraft. I wouldn't react this harshly in dynasty. The guy is clearly injured. He put together a nice season last year as a rookie. He's a hold in dynasty, IMO. 

DocHolliday said:
Not sure why I drafted this guy.  It was a late pick but still stupid since there is no upside.  Miller will be the first waiver. 
Wow, what an overreaction after one game.  No upside?  Totally disagree on this.  If Trubisky sucks all year, maybe not but I think he is going to have some solid games.

Wow, what an overreaction after one game.  No upside?  Totally disagree on this.  If Trubisky sucks all year, maybe not but I think he is going to have some solid games.
I agree it is an over reaction.

The only reasonable explanation for Miller playing less than other WR in my view is because he was recently injured and they were easing him in for game one.

Miller as a rookie played on 53.6% of the Bears offensive snaps in 15 games. 3rd most of the WR and more snaps than Cohen as well.

In week one Miller only played on 22% of the snaps.

I am expecting Miller to at least get back to where he was last season. I was hoping Miller would play well enough to surpass Gabriel in snap counts this year but Gabriel had the most snaps for a WR last year and 92% of them in the most recent game. I still think that could happen. I do not think Gabriel is a better WR than Miller is. 

I didn't think the Bears played well at all on offense except for Robinson.

Pretty hard to judge a guy who only had 16 snaps.

I agree it is an over reaction.

The only reasonable explanation for Miller playing less than other WR in my view is because he was recently injured and they were easing him in for game one.

Miller as a rookie played on 53.6% of the Bears offensive snaps in 15 games. 3rd most of the WR and more snaps than Cohen as well.

In week one Miller only played on 22% of the snaps.

I am expecting Miller to at least get back to where he was last season. I was hoping Miller would play well enough to surpass Gabriel in snap counts this year but Gabriel had the most snaps for a WR last year and 92% of them in the most recent game. I still think that could happen. I do not think Gabriel is a better WR than Miller is. 

I didn't think the Bears played well at all on offense except for Robinson.

Pretty hard to judge a guy who only had 16 snaps.
I always respect your insight.  I will hold him for another game unless there is a WR on the WW that I can't pass on.  

I always respect your insight.  I will hold him for another game unless there is a WR on the WW that I can't pass on.  
Every league is different. Do what you have to do.

Maybe the Bears (and Miller) do suck all year. I suppose that's possible too. They have a rough schedule.

Thinking about this some more.

I have one theory that Cohen may have taken over Millers role for this game. Cohen lined up in the slot a ton and played more than twice as many snaps as Miller as well.

Did something happen to Millers role in the offense at the end of last season?

Just looking at the snap counts and game logs from last year.

While Millers snap counts didn't change that much (45-70% from game 11-16) his targets did.  He only had 10 targets and 2 rushing attempts over the last 6 games of the year.

I assumed this was just a rookie wearing down as the year goes on and perhaps the shoulder injury was part of that as well.

Based on the low snaps for Miller in game one it has caused me to question somewhat if there is more to it?

Maybe a Bears fan would know.

I haven't heard anything about the Bears wanting to limit Millers role in the offense. Quite the opposite. Yet here we are.

Maybe Miller is not quite over his injury and/or still getting back into game shape.  Hopefully we will learn more from practice reports.  

I understand 1 Target is more than concerning. But it’s still only one game. I don’t think anyone is worth dropping after one game. 

Thinking about this some more.

I have one theory that Cohen may have taken over Millers role for this game. Cohen lined up in the slot a ton and played more than twice as many snaps as Miller as well.

Did something happen to Millers role in the offense at the end of last season?

Just looking at the snap counts and game logs from last year.

While Millers snap counts didn't change that much (45-70% from game 11-16) his targets did.  He only had 10 targets and 2 rushing attempts over the last 6 games of the year.

I assumed this was just a rookie wearing down as the year goes on and perhaps the shoulder injury was part of that as well.

Based on the low snaps for Miller in game one it has caused me to question somewhat if there is more to it?

Maybe a Bears fan would know.

I haven't heard anything about the Bears wanting to limit Millers role in the offense. Quite the opposite. Yet here we are.
Miller was banged up all throughout camp, and down the stretch last year(albeit with a different injury) I don't think Cohen is all of a sudden the slot WR, but I think between Miller not being fully healthy, and Burton being out, the Bears made a bold(and likely bad) decision to use Cohen in that manner. 

Honestly, I think week 1 was an issue of Matt Nagy perhaps getting a little too cocky after his coach of the year award, and outsmarting himself. Still fully expect Miller to be the slot WR going forward, though obviously health is key. 

Maybe Miller is not quite over his injury and/or still getting back into game shape.  Hopefully we will learn more from practice reports.  
This is what I would assume - Miller had a sprained his ankle and missed the entire preseason.  I think he only had a couple of full practices with the team before the Packers game.  The Bears were completely out of sync on offense and Robinson was really the only player that played well.  Cohen was having a really bad game until the 4th quarter and was only start-worthy in PPR.  Miller never should have been considered a WR1 or WR2 unless you are in a 25 team league.  He had a really good rookie season when you consider that he was playing almost the entire year with a bad shoulder. When healthy I think he is a good guy to have but if the injuries continue than I would look for other options. 

I think he’s a clear hold in dynasty unless you can’t afford the roster spot. I think @Biabreakable has the right read on Cohen overtaking Miller’s slot role for the moment. Whether that’s because Miller has been hurt or Nagy sees Cohen as a better scheme fit will take some time to play out. Other than the fact he’s been banged up a lot I don’t see how we can say anything definitive on Miller, but being down on his talent seems really premature to me. 

I might go into buy mode on Miller depending on what the owner wants.  It is only a matter of time before it all clicks for that offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread