Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
squistion

Anthony Miller WR Bears

Only referring to the couple highlight catches I watched, but Miller didn't look explosive.  I would actaully say he looked slower than I would expect.  Anyone else talk me back on this?

10 minutes ago, Rig24 said:

Only referring to the couple highlight catches I watched, but Miller didn't look explosive.  I would actaully say he looked slower than I would expect.  Anyone else talk me back on this?

I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. He didn't look fast, but not slow either. If that makes sense

He looked okay as far as athleticism. I was impressed with his route running and awareness. He made a few good catches. 

I don't see him as a big speedy guy (although he isn't slow on paper), but rather more of a Cris Carter sort of player- catches everything thrown to him. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. 

He looked okay as far as athleticism. I was impressed with his route running and awareness. He made a few good catches. 

I don't see him as a big speedy guy (although he isn't slow on paper), but rather more of a Cris Carter sort of player- catches everything thrown to him. 

Fair.  I haven't gotten to watch much of him this year, but that long catch/run (non-TD) looked slower than expected.  Maybe because he couldn't split and pull away from the defenders.  I was more impressed with his contested catches.  Still high on the guy.

Just now, Rig24 said:

Fair.  I haven't gotten to watch much of him this year, but that long catch/run (non-TD) looked slower than expected.  Maybe because he couldn't split and pull away from the defenders.  I was more impressed with his contested catches.  Still high on the guy.

Yes, I was surprised he wasn't "gone" after he broke that tackle. I can agree on that. 

He'll be a very solid WR for years to come. Glad to see him catching on quickly as many knocked his age in dynasty. Next year is going to be dangerous. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I wouldn't necessarily say he looked slow. He didn't look fast, but not slow either. If that makes sense

i've heard consistent praise about these. especially how he understands how to play against different coverages. he knows how to find the open spot/route in the zone as well as use his body to go after catches. his desire to be great is a big plus, i think. Trub has issues with accuracy downfield so Miller's ability to adjust is crucial.

1 hour ago, Rig24 said:

I'm a big pimper, but agree, top end speed is not there. But it wasn't there when I watched his tape either. I more love his hands and ability to get open. Two mildly imporant traits for a WR. :) The Chris Carter comp IMO is pretty apposite. He'll just kill you in the midfield and sideline stuff but he's not taking a WR screen or quick slant to the house OBJ style.

7 hours ago, Rig24 said:

I don't think your observation is off. Miller is not a pure speed WR like Gabriel for example. The way he wins is by understanding defenses and running good routes.

In my view the technique and football intelligence are traits which are most important for players to have.

Take Corderrelle Patterson for example. Great speed, explosive moves with the ball in his hands.

Cannot run a route with proper timing to save his life.

I will take route running and understanding of defenses over pure athleticism every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anthony Miller - WR -  Bears

Anthony Miller caught 3-of-5 targets for 34 yards in the Bears' Wild Card loss to the Eagles.

Miller had a long catch taken off the board due to a fumble with no clear recovery call that brought the ball back to spot of the previous play. The second-round rookie caught seven touchdowns to lead the Bears and totaled 36 catches for 457 yards across 16 games. He was fifth on the team in receiving as the No. 3 receiver. Miller disappeared for much of the second half of the season following a 5-122-1 blowup against the Lions in Week 10. From Week 11 on, Miller caught a total of 12 passes for 125 yards, but three went for scores. Miller is probably going to fill the same role in 2019 with Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel still under contract.

Jan 6 - 9:32 PM

2019 outlook?

Awesome route runner, but in general the dynasty community has him rated really low

Hinderly has him at 37, which seems low since he played the entire season with a bad shoulder that needed surgery and still did well. 

He has Pettis 31. seems absurd

Edited by Dr. Dan

2 hours ago, Dr. Dan said:

2019 outlook?

Awesome route runner, but in general the dynasty community has him rated really low

Hinderly has him at 37, which seems low since he played the entire season with a bad shoulder that needed surgery and still did well. 

He has Pettis 31. seems absurd

Interested in this as well. He is near the back end of my Dyno roster and may have to make a tough decision on whether I keep him (only 18 spots). Like the route running and end zone production. Not 100% convinced on Mitch and the offense seems to spread it around. May only have WR2 upside at most.

9 minutes ago, King of the Jungle said:

Interested in this as well. He is near the back end of my Dyno roster and may have to make a tough decision on whether I keep him (only 18 spots). Like the route running and end zone production. Not 100% convinced on Mitch and the offense seems to spread it around. May only have WR2 upside at most.

I agree on the WR2 upside. 

I was offered 1.10 and Royce Freeman for him and my projected late 2020 1st. 

I think I value him more than Freeman... He had 7 TDs last year and is an amazing route runner, which I love. 

25 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I agree on the WR2 upside. 

I was offered 1.10 and Royce Freeman for him and my projected late 2020 1st. 

I think I value him more than Freeman... He had 7 TDs last year and is an amazing route runner, which I love. 

1.10 + Royce Freeman feels about right, without your 2020 1st.

2 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

1.10 + Royce Freeman feels about right, without your 2020 1st.

Yes it's a very fair deal, just not sure if I like Royce that much

9 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

Yes it's a very fair deal, just not sure if I like Royce that much

I wouldn’t give up a first in the the exchange. I like a random (even though projected late) 2020 1st over a late 2019 1st.

Bears coach Matt Nagy expects Anthony Miller (shoulder surgery) to be ready for training camp.

Miller was limited throughout the offseason program after going under the knife in January but has avoided setbacks. Under the hood, Miller's rookie numbers were quite impressive, especially since his shoulder was an issue for much of the year. Even with Mitchell Trubisky at the controls, Miller could take a nice step forward as a sophomore.

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 3:23 PM ET