What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marvin Mims, DEN (1 Viewer)

Someone dropped him after this past weekend. Just scooped him up to make tonight's game a bit more enjoyable. Also hoping for a Jeudy trade soon to open up a path for him to play more.

I really want to start him tonight. My team is probably going to get clobbered. Mims popping off 150/2 in garbage time might be my only hope.

Main worry is that the Broncos need to showcase Sutton and Jeudy if they are going to trade them tomorrow morning.

Lost two fumbles last game, hopefully just rookie jitters because he does look like an electric playmaker.

We don't think Sutton and Jeudy are known commodities at this point? Is one game really going to change anyone's opinion?
If I were thinking Juedy hasn't been well used and might have enough value to trade for fairly cheaply, and he goes off for maybe 120 and a TD, maybe also draws a big PI flag or a hold, that could confirm a lot of my hopes.

We don't think Sutton and Jeudy are known commodities at this point? Is one game really going to change anyone's opinion?
Both have had exactly 5 100 yard games in their career (kind of shocking for the 28 YO Sutton) .

I don't know that a big game tonight would help much, but it wouldn't hurt.

Sean Payton's coming out retirement run, is going a lot closer to Mike Ditka's than **** Vermeil's.

Really starting to wonder if he just caught lightning in a bottle with Brees, because this Broncos team is bad and it falls more on Payton than anyone else. Bad plays, bad usage, bad concepts. This guy has a Super Bowl ring and looks clueless. There are other examples, but Mims may be the most egregious. He's likely the best WR on the roster, certainly top-3 at worst, he should be seeing 70%+ of the routes. What are guys like Humphrey or Johnson bringing to the table? What are 2-TE sets with Trautman and Manhertz bringing? I have zero Mims shares across 5 leagues, I just really liked him as a prospect, and he's been their best playmaker whenever they've used him. Seems like a team desperate to make plays, should use the guy who already proved he can, but what do I know, I don't have a Super Bowl ring I guess.

Sean Payton's coming out retirement run, is going a lot closer to Mike Ditka's than **** Vermeil's.

Really starting to wonder if he just caught lightning in a bottle with Brees, because this Broncos team is bad and it falls more on Payton than anyone else. Bad plays, bad usage, bad concepts. This guy has a Super Bowl ring and looks clueless. There are other examples, but Mims may be the most egregious. He's likely the best WR on the roster, certainly top-3 at worst, he should be seeing 70%+ of the routes. What are guys like Humphrey or Johnson bringing to the table? What are 2-TE sets with Trautman and Manhertz bringing? I have zero Mims shares across 5 leagues, I just really liked him as a prospect, and he's been their best playmaker whenever they've used him. Seems like a team desperate to make plays, should use the guy who already proved he can, but what do I know, I don't have a Super Bowl ring I guess.

Has the Denver press indicated that people are unhappy with Payton yet? Anyone with first-hand knowledge?

It’s way too early but possible that the trade for Payton is worse than for Russ.
  • Broncos receive: Head coach Sean Payton, Saints 2024 third-round pick
  • Saints receive: Broncos 2023 first-round pick (No. 30 overall / Bresee), Broncos 2024 second-round pick

Has the Denver press indicated that people are unhappy with Payton yet? Anyone with first-hand knowledge?
He should have never coached in a state that made marijuana legal. Those frat party bong hits have obviously taken a toll.

He should have never coached in a state that made marijuana legal. Those frat party bong hits have obviously taken a toll.
... for those that missed the news;
Sean Payton Epic Bong Hit

@Bossman - the only thing that can help you cope with how dreadful this team is probably a couple massive bong-rips.

I don't see any plausible way they get out from under Wilson's enormous contract. The fact they are forced to give up on Jerry Jeudy (who can't be this bad) and will probably only get 1 year of peak Marvin Mims with a capable player throwing him the ball is sad. They just keep throwing bad money at the situation to try and make it better. Fire Hackett, trade for Sean Payton... I would probably be looking to offload Russell Wilson more than anything at this point. I'd givehim up with a 4th for a 7th just to get him off my team.

Too bad trades in the NFL don't work like transfers in soccer - would be great sending him to the CFL or arena league.

I'm sure you were going more for the "that is awful for Payton" reaction, but when I see that kind of crap, I hope that whatever a**hole recorded that is thrown out of the house permanently. Really, wtf is wrong with you to record someone famous out having fun and trying to destroy their lives over it?? Reminds me of the Phelps incident, which pissed me off also.

I'm sure you were going more for the "that is awful for Payton" reaction, but when I see that kind of crap, I hope that whatever a**hole recorded that is thrown out of the house permanently. Really, wtf is wrong with you to record someone famous out having fun and trying to destroy their lives over it?? Reminds me of the Phelps incident, which pissed me off also.
It's all about the "clicks" nowadays. People do not care what the fallout is for other people so long as they get high doses of likes.
This leaked right after Payton commented on how last years team had the worst coaching in the history of the NFL. Might have been some motivation there to do him dirty.
I found that the best defense against people recording me doing stuff like this is to not be famous.

I don't see any plausible way they get out from under Wilson's enormous contract.

Here's the out for the Broncos, assuming Russ doesn't make a dramatic turnaround very very soon...

POST-6/1 RELEASE (this coming offseason)
2024 Dead Cap: $35,400,000
2025 Dead Cap: $49,600,000
2024 Cap Savings: $0

Those dead cap figures look daunting, right? They are not at all. Russ has the following cap charges those two years, which get replaced by the dead cap numbers above.

2024 $35.4 MM
2025 $55.4 MM

So then, releasing him this coming offseason with a post-June 1 designation would actually be cap neutral in 2024, and free up ($55.4 - 49.6) = ~$6 MM in cap space in 2025. They would be using $35.4 MM and $49.6 MM of cap on a QB that is no longer there, but at this/that point, they might consider that addition by subtraction in that they could move on to a rookie QB with a cheap contract for those two seasons. Or even just roll with Stidham who is already on the books.

I don't see any plausible way they get out from under Wilson's enormous contract.

Here's the out for the Broncos, assuming Russ doesn't make a dramatic turnaround very very soon...

Those dead cap figures look daunting, right? They are not at all. Russ has the following cap charges those two years, which get replaced by the dead cap numbers above.

2024 $35.4 MM
2025 $55.4 MM

So then, releasing him this coming offseason with a post-June 1 designation would actually be cap neutral in 2024, and free up ($55.4 - 49.6) = ~$6 MM in cap space in 2025. They would be using $35.4 MM and $49.6 MM of cap on a QB that is no longer there, but at this/that point, they might consider that addition by subtraction in that they could move on to a rookie QB with a cheap contract for those two seasons. Or even just roll with Stidham who is already on the books.
So from a pure salary cap perspective the question is neutral and comes down to whether they want him around?
I’d think some team would even trade for him if they could work the cap so the broncos took the brunt (I have no idea how that works)

2024 $35.4 MM
2025 $55.4 MM

So from a pure salary cap perspective the question is neutral and comes down to whether they want him around?
I’d think some team would even trade for him if they could work the cap so the broncos took the brunt (I have no idea how that works)

Yes, 100% correct on the first question.

As for the second, the team that takes him would need to pay him $17 MM in 2024 and then $37 MM if they keep him in 2025. That would free up $17 MM in Broncos 2024 cap, so they could theoretically take on some or all of that salary to even it out with cutting him cap-wise, with the objective of recouping some draft capital.

Not to distract but what I don't get is the recent trashing of Jerry Jeudy. Yeah okay, he's struggled, however much of it is on him, whatever. Is that something new, a high draft pick that doesn't live up to expectation? Move him, get Mims jr. more run, I don't understand how it helps?

Not to distract but what I don't get is the recent trashing of Jerry Jeudy. Yeah okay, he's struggled, however much of it is on him, whatever. Is that something new, a high draft pick that doesn't live up to expectation? Move him, get Mims jr. more run, I don't understand how it helps?
are you asking how moving Jeudy helps Mims? unfortunately moving Jeudy doesn't help the oline issues, russ issues, play calling that doesn't match the player skills issues, etc., but it expands Mims targets so that's about it. how much quality targets would he get in that scenario, doesn't feel like much, which I think is what you're saying and I agree. it's a concern, so Mims is as deep of a stash as it gets unless the offense overall starts clicking. i guess that's on Peyton+Russ.

if jeudy and sutton stay on this roster, then Mims value is just about zero, so non-zero is the upside at this time after having watched last night.

from what I've seen from this offense, there is little fantasy value at all the coaching sux the team is in disarray and when does the great Wizard of Oz the arrogant self loving Sean Payton lose the locker room? I believe it's already happened. this team is going to implode soon. what a joke

I'm not willing to write off any of the skill players of this team yet. Heck, I'm not even sure how bad Russ truly is because he really doesn't seem to have much time in the pocket. I haven't watched a lot of Denver football but I don't think you want a QB of Russ' age running for his life back there. If you are going to pick up an aging signal caller, you might want to build a line for him to be comfortable back there.

I hope we hear something this week on the trading front. Wasting a roster spot on this guy is killing me.
The good thing is if no moves are made guy is an easy drop. If moves are made the potential is there.
Of course. My team is really good and it would take him gaining a role and doing very well for him to even make my lineup. I hope a move is made this week (no reason for Denver to wait if there is a trade or 2 out there) If not its just 1 more week after that. Its just killing me to be missing out on all these WW moves while I hold Mims not even getting a chance to play.

Zac Stevens
Marvin Mims Jr's 24.6 yards per catch is the most in the NFL.

In fact, it’s 5.2 yards more than Tyreek Hill, arguably the most dynamic and dangerous receiver in the league.

Yet Mims only has 12 targets on the season...

32BeatWriters
Sean Payton on Mims' lack of playing time: “We’re faced with a challenge sometimes of trying to find that balance with [Courtland] Sutton, [Jerry] Jeudy, [Marvin] Mims and the guys that we feel like can make plays in space. We’ve had packages where both he and Jeudy are on the field at the same time opposite of one another. Again, that’s still a work in progress, but I don’t think it’s a work in progress specifically towards Marvin as much as it is for us finding packages and touches for him both in the passing game. Then also, he’s someone that can handle the speed sweeps, the arounds, and those types of things. He is really good with the ball in his hands.”

Baffling usage IMO. Jeudy obviously ain't it so move on.
He's also got two lost fumbles against the Jets and a muffed KR against the Bears that got placed at the 1-yard line. Not great for getting max touches.
he’s clearly a special talent and this team isn’t going anywhere—why not let him play and develop.
I mentioned this up thread.

Mims injured his hamstring at the very beginning of OTA's and didn't even begin practicing until mid-August. He had basically zero time to rep with the offense as it was being installed prior to the regular season.

That has hampered his playing time. Plus Payton likes his outside WR's big and tall for blocking.

He'll get there.

Also, Payton mentioned recently that both the Jets and Chiefs used a lot of Cover 2 which has limited Mims' ability to get open for deep shots. They watched tape

Baffling usage IMO. Jeudy obviously ain't it so move on.
He's also got two lost fumbles against the Jets and a muffed KR against the Bears that got placed at the 1-yard line. Not great for getting max touches.
he’s clearly a special talent and this team isn’t going anywhere—why not let him play and develop.
I mentioned this up thread.

Mims injured his hamstring at the very beginning of OTA's and didn't even begin practicing until mid-August. He had basically zero time to rep with the offense as it was being installed prior to the regular season.

That has hampered his playing time. Plus Payton likes his outside WR's big and tall for blocking.

He'll get there.
Payton drafted him, so I don't think his frame/lack of size on the outside will be an issue

Marvin Mims played on 29-of-71 offensive snaps in the Broncos’ Week 8 win over the Chiefs.

It’s too early to say “it’s happening” for Mims, but the explosive rookie played on a season-high 40.8 percent of the team’s offensive snaps and narrowly edged out Lil’Jordan Humphrey (22) in total snaps. Humphrey ran two more routes than Mims, but Week 8 marked the second time Mims saw 20-plus offensive snaps, with the last coming in Week 5 against the Jets. Denver leaned heavily on the run in Sunday’s win, rendering nearly all of their receivers useless from a fantasy standpoint, but this was an encouraging outing for Mims in regards to playing time. Mims’ fantasy upside remains low until the targets start coming his way, but he’s an interesting stash ahead of the trade deadline.

Patience is needed here. He’s a very good talent, but still a rookie with significant target competition on a limited offensive team. We all have to remember, with very few exceptions, that rookie WR take time to develop. He’s been uneven so far, but he’s had glimpses that show upside going forward. Denver will be a tear down, either at the deadline or next year. Delayed gratification is not easy for us, but, if we’re patient, he’ll show value soon enough.

Broncos HC Sean Payton said the team is going to work on getting Marvin Mims more involved.

The exact quote is a bit weird. When asked how to go about getting Mims more touches, Payton replied with, “We’re going to work our tails off to move that needle to where he’s getting opportunities.” For now, we’d take this with a grain of salt, although we should also note that Mims played on a season-high 40.8 percent the team’s offensive snaps in Week 8’s win over the Chiefs. Mims is arguably the most explosive receiver on the Broncos, averaging 22.4 yards per reception while posting a line of 11-246-1. Even if he sees more opportunities, Mims will be hard to trust as the third receiver in an offense that ranks 20th in early-down pass rate and 22nd in pass frequency over expected. Still, fantasy managers stashing Mims should continue to hold him in case of a second-half breakout.

Pretty much a lost season for Mims after what looked promising being Payton’s first draft pick (and moving up to trade for him).

Not sure if they can move on from Jeudy after taking his 5th year option, but can’t imagine he’s in the plans.

Any hopes for Mims in 2024 and beyond?

Broncos head coach Sean Payton said Marvin Mims’ role would “expand” in 2024.
“I really think the only thing that really stopped his progress as a receiver was us and trying to find roles ... the key is for us, and I say us as coaches in game planning, is evolving,” Payton said when asked about young players stepping up for Denver in 2024. “We’ll see [Mims’ role] expand.’' Payton and his staff outright refused to give the speedy Mims a full-time role last season; the rookie ended 2023 with just 22 catches for 377 yards and one touchdown. Mims had two of the team’s four pass plays of at least 50 yards. If Mims can work his way into three-wideout sets in 2024, he can be an explosive if inconsistent fantasy option.

Users who are viewing this thread