What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marvin Mims, DEN (1 Viewer)

Seven Rounds in Heaven @7RoundsInHeaven
Oklahoma WR Marvin Mims does an unbelievable job tracking this ball and finishing through the hit on the deep shot from Dillon Gabriel in the Cheez-It Bowl.

Mims is one of the best deep threat WRs in the 2023 NFL Draft. Has averaged 19.2 per catch with the Sooners.

Luca Sartirana @SartiranaLuca
Oklahoma WR Marvin Mims Jr. is still one of the most underrated prospects in the whole draft class.

As good of a deep threat as you'll find among all the 2023 WR prospects. Insane ball skills, good YAC creator. He will be a solid weapon in the NFL.

Luca Sartirana @SartiranaLuca
My comp for Oklahoma junior wide receiver Marvin Mims is Christian Kirk.

Mims is an excellent field stretcher with great ball skills and ability to produce after the catch while being able to play both on the outside and in the slot. Underrated profile.

I Like Marvin Mims and he was a good receiver for us, however I think his NFL game translates more to a #2/3 WR. I think he’s more Hollywood Brown than CeDee Lamb from a talent standpoint. Depending on where he goes of course, as volume can overcome talent at times.

This guy is going to hit.

I liked him going into the combine. I liked him more after the combine. Watching/listening to dynasty content this last month or so, we're bordering on love.

Problem is going to become he seems to be creeping up dynasty rookie mock boards--for whatever those are worth. 4-6 weeks ago, he always seemed to go 3rd round. Here lately you see him in the 2nd a lot more often.

Problem is going to become he seems to be creeping up dynasty rookie mock boards--for whatever those are worth. 4-6 weeks ago, he always seemed to go 3rd round. Here lately you see him in the 2nd a lot more often.

He's ranked eleventh over at DLF. First round pick in dynasty. A few weeks ago, he was considered a late second/early third.

RotoHeat & CBS both have him WR5-6 and #13 (2.01) overall while KTC WR8 and #26 overall (3.01)
Another Ranking has him WR8 behind Boutte with his slot #21 overall as a 2.08 value
The problem is there is such a wide Tier he falls into and could be near the top or bottom and all within the same tier.

I like him. I have him mid-2nd range in 1QB PPR. I guess I would have to invest mid-high 2nd (like 2.01-2.04 range) if I wanted to ensure acquisition his skills.

He's on my potentials list for the 11th pick in 1 league, he checks a lot of boxes. May be a bit high but this is a weird WR class for me, and there will *probably* be a lot of complete failures in terms of fantasy.

I hit the character limit in my Route Running thread, so I'm putting the full quotes and links for each player in their bespoke threads.

+/- “does well to process on the fly as a route-runner and attack space to make himself available to the quarterback.”, “has the twitch, fluidity, and elusiveness to thrive as a route-runner and create separation with consistency.”, “ability to play through contact as a route-runner will be a concern” - https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/marvin-mims-a05cb7fe-6cab-442f-9802-f80e296d70d7/
- “doesn’t have a diverse route tree and press coverage at the next level could give him real issues” - https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/vikings-sooners-skol-search-marvin-mims-scouting-report/
+/- "route tree was not the most developed, it was clear that he became a more fluid route runner with time." - https://draftwire.usatoday.com/list...jr-scouting-report-oklahoma-sooners-football/
+/- "A reliable route runner" - https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/01/browns-marvin-mims-2023-nfl-draft-profile/
+ "Explosive ... burst in his routes" - https://steelersdepot.com/2023/02/2023-nfl-draft-player-profiles-oklahoma-wr-marvin-mims/
+/- "Smooth operator getting through his routes", "Needs to tighten up route running underneath" - https://www.nfl.com/prospects/marvin-mims-jr/32004d49-4d65-4774-4051-580758dd257c

Broncos traded up with the Lions to select Oklahoma WR Marvin Mims with the No. 63 pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.

The Broncos moved up five spots while swapping pick No. 138 for pick No. 183. A game-breaker on film, Mims (5’11/183) timed an explosive 4.38 40-yard dash at the Combine. 16.2 percent of his 2022 receptions went for 40-plus yards, while he averaged a ridiculous 13.5 yards per target over his final two seasons in Norman. Despite his relatively unimposing frame, Mims wins creatively at the top of routes, and has the ball-tracking ability to win over the top down the field. A hand-fighter, Mims is adept at making late adjustments due in part to excellent body control. An explosive jumper, Mims used his speed and leaping ability to post an elite 9.41 (out of 10.0) relative athletic score. Mims could afford to clean up his routes, but his film and athletic profile suggest he will. He is one of the highest-upside wideouts in this class, though playing alongside Courtland Sutton and Jerry Jeudy could limit his usage in as a rookie.
RELATED:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:15 PM ET

Broncos GM George Paton said selecting Marvin Mims in the second round was "absolutely not" about Jerry Jeudy's fifth-year option decision.

"I think Mims is going to complement what we have," Paton said. "He'll be a great complement. Again, he's going to compete, but it has nothing to do with any of our receivers." With KJ Hamler a question mark for training camp, Mims probably enters fourth on the depth chart behind Courtland Sutton, Jeudy, and Tim Patrick. He could give the Broncos a speed punch on play-action passes early.
SOURCE: Broncos.com
Apr 30, 2023 at 4:22 PM ET

He followed some other names at OU. He was always reliable just needing a chance. I expect the same in DEN and reliability may be valued a bit extra there. Not hoping for much year one, but it simply might be a better idea to start him in year two than some prior high draft pick that often missed practice and games.

Mims or Mingo?
Redraft I don't think it's close - Mingo probably has a much easier path to targets. Dynasty wise it's a toss up as Jeudy could walk in FA next year and who knows how long Sutton will stick around if he doesn't reignite his game.

Mims or Mingo?
Redraft I don't think it's close - Mingo probably has a much easier path to targets. Dynasty wise it's a toss up as Jeudy could walk in FA next year and who knows how long Sutton will stick around if he doesn't reignite his game.
I think Mims is the most underrated WR in the draft. He has the production (2400 yds and 20 TDs in 3 years) and speed (4.38 better than most ahead of him), reliable hands, he's 5'11", which is OK,

Mims or Mingo?
I think Mims is the most underrated WR in the draft. He has the production (2400 yds and 20 TDs in 3 years) and speed (4.38 better than most ahead of him), reliable hands, he's 5'11", which is OK,
I liked Mims a decent bit more before the draft. I'll stick with that. I think he's much safer. He may rarely or never be a WR1, but I think we'll see multiple WR2/3 seasons out of the guy. For all of his flaws last year, Russ has shown he's capable of supporting multiple fantasy relevant receivers. Sean Payton always gets the most out of his skill position guys. I think it's a good landing spot for Mims despite the two receivers in front of him.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I feel like the path to starting isn't all that winding. Sutton is coming up on 28--which isn't old--but he's had 1,000 yards one time in his career. We've seen two seasons post ACL tear, and he isn't producing like we'd hoped. Jeudy has a 5th year option after this season. I think Jeudy is actually really good and they'll wind up finding a way to keep him. Still, point stands--there are multiple roads to Rome for Mims getting opportunity.

Mingo--he LOOKS fantastic on tape. I think the ceiling is higher for him. I think the floor is also lower. For all his size and athleticism, the production wasn't there. A big chunk of his production came vs 1 team--a mediocre Vanderbilt team. While he could blow up, I also worry he may never be a consistent fantasy producer.

All that being said, early 2nd round draft capital is nice. And he's the first investment they've made in a pass catcher for their new franchise QB. I always think that matters. I think there's a good chance they either go after a better receiver in future drafts or FA, but he's in a nice spot. He's a lot more interesting than he was a week ago. He's probably right after Mims or very close to him in my mental rankings.

I assume both guys will go late 1st round. I'm a believer in finding a "hit" in the 1st round and swinging for upside later. I'm just not as confident Migo will hit.

Last edited:
Mims or Mingo?
I liked Mims a decent bit more before the draft. I'll stick with that. I think he's much safer. He may rarely or never be a WR1, but I think we'll see multiple WR2/3 seasons out of the guy. For all of his flaws last year, Russ has shown he's capable of supporting multiple fantasy relevant receivers. Sean Payton always gets the most out of his skill position guys. I think it's a good landing spot for Mims despite the two receivers in front of him.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I feel like the path to starting isn't all that winding. Sutton is coming up on 28--which isn't old--but he's had 1,000 yards one time in his career. We've seen two seasons post ACL tear, and he isn't producing like we'd hoped. Jeudy has a 5th year option after this season. I think Jeudy is actually really good and they'll wind up finding a way to keep him. Still, point stands--there are multiple roads to Rome for Mims getting opportunity.

Mingo--he LOOKS fantastic on tape. I think the ceiling is higher for him. I think the floor is also lower. For all his size and athleticism, the production wasn't there. A big chunk of his production came vs 1 team--a mediocre Vanderbilt team.

That being said, early 2nd round draft capital is nice. And he's the first investment they've made in a pass catcher for their new franchise QB. I always think that matters. I think there's a good chance they either go after a better receiver in future drafts or FA, but he's in a nice spot. He's a lot more interesting than he was a week ago. He's probably right after Mims or very close to him in my mental rankings.
Despite the team's proclamation that Jeudy's status has nothing to do with the Mims pick, we'll see come tomorrow when Jeudy's fifth year option needs to be picked up.

Mims or Mingo?

Mingo--he LOOKS fantastic on tape. I think the ceiling is higher for him. I think the floor is also lower. For all his size and athleticism, the production wasn't there. A big chunk of his production came vs 1 team--a mediocre Vanderbilt team.

That being said, early 2nd round draft capital is nice. And he's the first investment they've made in a pass catcher for their new franchise QB. I always think that matters. I think there's a good chance they either go after a better receiver in future drafts or FA, but he's in a nice spot. He's a lot more interesting than he was a week ago. He's probably right after Mims or very close to him in my mental rankings.
Despite the team's proclamation that Jeudy's status has nothing to do with the Mims pick, we'll see come tomorrow when Jeudy's fifth year option needs to be picked up.
And just got the blurb that Jeudy's fifth-year option was picked up.

Mims or Mingo?

And just got the blurb that Jeudy's fifth-year option was picked up.
Was literally coming in here to quote you and say "right on cue"

The Athletic's Nick Kosmider believes Broncos head coach Sean Payton will have a "very specific role" for rookie WR Marvin Mims.​

"The Broncos have experienced depth in Courtland Sutton, Jerry Jeudy, Tim Patrick and others. But new head coach Sean Payton will design a very specific role for Mims that allows him to see the field, even if it’s not a high-volume role," Kosmider said. "His ability to stretch defenses, something he did effortlessly during each of his three seasons at Oklahoma, will make him an important puzzle piece as Denver tries to resuscitate an offense that finished last in scoring last season." Payton said last week that Mims, taken with the 63rd pick in the 2023 draft, would "complement" Jeudy and Sutton. In an otherwise disastrous 2022 campaign, Russell Wilson was still one of the NFL's best downfield passers. That could bode well for Mims. At Oklahoma, 16.2 percent of his 2022 receptions went for 40-plus yards, while he averaged 13.5 yards per target over his final two seasons. Mims profiles as a bench stash in deeper formats whose fantasy production will likely be volatile.
SOURCE: The Athletic
May 5, 2023, 10:53 AM ET

I think Mims is going to be productive (top 24 WR for 2-5 years), but maybe not right away

After the Payton hire, there has been heavy chatter of Denver WRs being available for trade

Do we know Payton to be humble or very confident/arrogant? I've heard the latter and quite frankly rightfully so. His offenses were at least solid year in, and year out with players coming and going - except Brees, of course. I think there's a strong chance he wants to go with "his guys." Is Mims his Denver version of Brandin Cooks?

Elite Drafters @Elite_Drafters
Marvin Mims analytical profile is off the charts.

Early Declare (Age 20)
18.5 Breakout Age (96%)
19.5 Career YPR 👀
22.4% Target Share (63rd %)
2.66 Best Season YPTpA

A vertical playmaker like Brandin Cooks and one of the best ball trackers in the 2023 class like Steve Smith.

✅ 2nd Round Draft Capital

✅ Breakout Age

✅ College YPR

👍 College Dominator

✅ 4.38 40 Speed

Broncos signed second-round WR Marvin Mims.​

Denver traded up to acquire Mims at the end of the second round of the 2023 draft, adding a downfield speed element to an offense sorely missing one in 20222. Broncos head coach Sean Payton has said Mims will be deployed in a "specific role," which likely means the rookie will begin the season as a rotational wideout who will see most of his targets downfield. An analytics darling, Mims has an outside chance of being Denver's No. 2 receiver behind Jerry Jeudy this year. Tim Patrick should begin the season in that role.
SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on Twitter
May 16, 2023, 9:13 AM ET

I assume both guys will go late 1st round. I'm a believer in finding a "hit" in the 1st round and swinging for upside later. I'm just not as confident Migo will hit.
depends on the league I guess. I just took Mims 4.03 in SF. 13th WR taken. Mingo went early 3rd, 9th WR taken.
Who went ahead or between them. In my home draft, Mingo was 5th after all the first round guys. Mims was 7th right after Rice. Then Tillman, Hyatt, Downs, Wilson, Reed, Boutte filled out top 13. Other than Boutte who went 49th overall in SF, IDP draft, the rest gone by pick 35.

depends on the league I guess. I just took Mims 4.03 in SF. 13th WR taken. Mingo went early 3rd, 9th WR taken.
Who went ahead or between them. In my home draft, Mingo was 5th after all the first round guys. Mims was 7th right after Rice. Then Tillman, Hyatt, Downs, Wilson, Reed, Boutte filled out top 13. Other than Boutte who went 49th overall in SF, IDP draft, the rest gone by pick 35.
The usual 4 went in the first.
Rice, Reed, Tillman and downs in the 2nd.
Mingo, Nacua, Hyatt in the third
Boutte, Mims, Scott and Dell in the 4th

The usual 4 went in the first.
Rice, Reed, Tillman and downs in the 2nd.
Mingo, Nacua, Hyatt in the third
Boutte, Mims, Scott and Dell in the 4th
That's wild Mims went in the 4th. He's consistently going in the mid-late 2nd in my Superflex rookie drafts

Users who are viewing this thread