What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be amazing if Ujiri could unload DeRozan or Lowry for Kawhi.  That team has a limited shelf life anyway, so even if Kawhi leaves, it would clear things out to re-tool.

From OddsShark . . .

Updated odds on which team Kawhi Leonard will play for next season:

Raptors EVEN
Spurs +400
Lakers +500
Clippers +600
76ers +800
Celtics +800
Bucks +1000
Knicks +1500
Cavaliers +2000
Rockets +2000
Nets +2500
Field +500

@modogg time to load up on Philly again. 
ehh still recovering from Lebron wanting to start a movie/TV career early (funny how his agent has come out now and basically said this. too lazy to link article right now). +800 is a good bet. would be silly for Toronto to give up much, i think there is less than 5% chance he would re-sign there. Philly seems to be waiting it out, i wonder if Spurs leak this to Lowe to encourage Sixers to move on it

ehh, yuck. some awful suggestions there. Spurs have to be laughing:

Kawhi Leonard + Danny Green OR Patty Mills —> DeMar DeRozan, OG Anunoby, Delon Wright, 2019 protected first-round pick
Looks pretty competitive to the Laker offers. 

ehh still recovering from Lebron wanting to start a movie/TV career early (funny how his agent has come out now and basically said this. too lazy to link article right now). +800 is a good bet. would be silly for Toronto to give up much, i think there is less than 5% chance he would re-sign there. Philly seems to be waiting it out, i wonder if Spurs leak this to Lowe to encourage Sixers to move on it
I think it makes perfect sense for the Raptors. This team has gone as far as they can go with these players. They need a major shake up if it works, great. If it doesn't then they at least took a shot and were going to need to rebuild anyways. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic with Colin and Chris Broussard today. It was would Ben Simmons follow LeBron to LA when his time to ether re-up with the Sixers or go elsewhere. Mostly a theory but interesting topic Mentioned Lebron's people had a meeting with the Sixers. Ben's agent is Rich Paul the same guy for LeBron. Possible seeing what the Sixers plans are and plan for Ben maybe either resigning or going to LA. Didn't hear everything but Ben spends most of his time in LA now that he's dating Kylie Jenner. He's from Australia and the weather similar. Hangout for a summer in Beverly Hills and LA is looking a lot better then Philly. Broussard says Paul has a great relationship with the people running the Sixers. Simmons to leave Philly after his first year would be unprecedented. Broussard did say if after his 2nd deal Ben is a bonafide Superstar with Celebrity taste he could pull a Lebron and go elsewhere. 

And interesting tidbit thrown in there which I haven't really read was Colin said rumor has it Joel and Ben don't get along which is the first I've heard 

I'm not sure if this was mentioned on the Leonard rumors front but Crossing Broad (A Philly based sports blog) had their one writer trying to read articles on Cristiano Ronaldo's Transfer to Juventus. Looked into reading MARCA a Spanish news website and the biggest in terms of Spanish sports news. They also cover the Gasol Brothers in the NBA religiously given how popular they are in Spain as well as the fact both played for the hometown FC Barcelona Basketball team. Pau Gasol was apparently mentioned as the guy being packaged with Leonard in any trade. 

“When you are having simultaneous conversations with people all around the world and not a single person is telling you “That is untrue,” you have a smoke/fire situation.

And what I am hearing is that a trade scenario that would send Gasol to the 76ers is very much in play as one of the various Kawhi Leonard deals being pondered by the San Antonio Spurs.”
Gasol would bring immense leadership to the Sixers. Remember this isn't out of the ordinary as 76ers coach Brett Brown tried to get Manu to sign with the Sixers in the last 2 or so yrs for a veteran leadership role. As for Players and everything involved Fultz hasn't been mentioned but you never know and believes the Sixers would need to also send THREE 1st Round Picks in any deal as well. 

“Everyone in the NBA knows that an offer constructed around Dario Saric and Robert Covington has been put forth by the Sixers…”

“everyone around the NBA expects Gregg Popovich to eventually take care of his former assistant, Brown, despite swiping Marco Belinelli away from him in the first hours of free agency. Whether or not Saric ends up in the deal is an open question.”

Interesting topic with Colin and Chris Broussard today. It was would Ben Simmons follow LeBron to LA when his time to ether re-up with the Sixers or go elsewhere. Mostly a theory but interesting topic Mentioned Lebron's people had a meeting with the Sixers. Ben's agent is Rich Paul the same guy for LeBron. Possible seeing what the Sixers plans are and plan for Ben maybe either resigning or going to LA. Didn't hear everything but Ben spends most of his time in LA now that he's dating Kylie Jenner. He's from Australia and the weather similar. Hangout for a summer in Beverly Hills and LA is looking a lot better then Philly. Broussard says Paul has a great relationship with the people running the Sixers. Simmons to leave Philly after his first year would be unprecedented. Broussard did say if after his 2nd deal Ben is a bonafide Superstar with Celebrity taste he could pull a Lebron and go elsewhere. 

And interesting tidbit thrown in there which I haven't really read was Colin said rumor has it Joel and Ben don't get along which is the first I've heard 
Kendall

When they trade Kawhi they should be open to taking back bad contracts. They should go full rebuild. So trade Kawhi to whoever and then say we will also take bad contract of player B if you throw in another asset. 

I think it makes perfect sense for the Raptors. This team has gone as far as they can go with these players. They need a major shake up if it works, great. If it doesn't then they at least took a shot and were going to need to rebuild anyways. 
for the Raptors yes. expensive, and will set them back. but i agree, they need to do something. but i don't see the Spurs wanting that at all. that 1st rounder in '19 would be 25th at best

:loco:  if there was legit issues between Ben and Embiid, do you really think Colin would know about it and the intense dopey Phily sports media wouldn't discuss?

i don't know if Ben's relationship makes it to the NBA season, let alone years from now. i certainly am little nervous Ben could head out of Philly, but he will sign the big max contract with Philly 1st i think

WE DID IT!!!1  :excited:

Adrian Wojnarowski‏ @wojespn

Denver has agreed to send Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a future second round pick to Nets for Isaiah Whitehead, league sources tell ESPN. Salary dump for Denver.

9:10 PM - 12 Jul 2018

Nuggets making moves tonight! 

Good value on the salary dump. IT is an interesting fit but totally worth the minimum even though there is some chemistry/fit issues.

Finally out from under the atrocious Pierce/Garnett deal, next summer is going to be amazing. Two first rounders (at least one in the lotto), gobs of cap space, and for the first time in years, some honest-to-god hope for the franchise. Spare all the "this draft class is terrible" stuff for later, it's party time in Brooklyn!  :headbang: :towelwave: :pickle:

Yes I've been drinking

Finally out from under the atrocious Pierce/Garnett deal, next summer is going to be amazing. Two first rounders (at least one in the lotto), gobs of cap space, and for the first time in years, some honest-to-god hope for the franchise. Spare all the "this draft class is terrible" stuff for later, it's party time in Brooklyn!  :headbang: :towelwave: :pickle:

Yes I've been drinking
Didn't know we had a Nets fan in here. 

Nate Duncan‏Verified account @NateDuncanNBA

Let's be very clear that this Denver trade is their ownership cheaping out, they'd rather lose a first than pay a not-unreasonable tax for 1 year. And their front office, knowing they couldn't pay the tax, spent way too profligately on Mason Plumlee last year.
I agree with everything he said. This move doesn't make them better on the basketball court, but it was a reality with their ownership. Dropping over $20m for a protected first and a second is a pretty decent deal, especially as Portland, Washington, Toronto, and Denver are all well above the tax without many places to dump significant money. 

I have trashed the Plumlee signing since day one for this exact reason. 

Here is what I said about the signing last year:

Mason Plumlee got a 3/41 deal from the Nuggets. Right up there for the worst contract of the offseason. The only contract that I could say is definitively worse is Tim Hardaway.

I genuinely have no idea why they would do that. His qualifying offer was for less than $3.5 million. Ridiculous. He is lower on the center free agent list next year than Noel, Cousins, Embiid, Jordan (player option), Nurkic, Aldridge (player option), Favors, Monroe, Lopez, and right there with Dedmon (player option), Len, Kanter (player option that he'll likely take), and Koufos (player option). There has never been a worse time to be a center in the league and next offseason will possibly have the deepest center free agent class of the decade with very little money available for spending.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure that even Hardaway's contract is significantly worse because of the center market and where this is going to put the Nuggets against the luxury tax next offseason. They doubled down on the Nurkic trade by signing Plumlee to a terrible contract in hopes of saving face.
If he was an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and the Nuggets' horrible management wasn't going to sign him, I don't know if he would have even grabbed the mini-MLE. I still think it was the worst signing of 2017 because of the opportunity cost that was displayed last night.

With the Hawks spending a lot of money on Lin, Schroeder will certainly be dealt soon. Where’s he going?
Nowhere because he's a mediocre player with a bad attitude and a worse contract (3/47 remaining). The only thing I could see is a swap of him for another bad contract that has a combination of fewer years and/or less money. Like maybe John Henson (2/23 left), or Solomon Hill (2/25).

Nowhere because he's a mediocre player with a bad attitude and a worse contract (3/47 remaining). The only thing I could see is a swap of him for another bad contract that has a combination of fewer years and/or less money. Like maybe John Henson (2/23 left), or Solomon Hill (2/25).
I think he could be a borderline all star player with a better attitude if he wasn't in Atlanta. 

I think he would be a good consolation prize if Philly misses on Kawhi. 

I would swap him straight up for Reggie Jackson. Who only has 2 years left at 17 and 18 million. 

He might fit with the Pacers, or Jazz. I am only looking at playoff teams or borderline teams. 

Dunno if Leprechauns can handle that kind of elevation, but the Li'l Fella will be a perfect sparkplug off the bench  for the Nugs (if he's sound) and he won't stick out on a team that don't play a lick o' defense anyway. Denver replaces Rockets as my West team agin the Big Bad Coasties

WE DID IT!!!1  :excited:

Adrian Wojnarowski‏ @wojespn

Denver has agreed to send Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a future second round pick to Nets for Isaiah Whitehead, league sources tell ESPN. Salary dump for Denver.

9:10 PM - 12 Jul 2018
Penetrating insight as always by Adrian.

I agree with everything he said. This move doesn't make them better on the basketball court, but it was a reality with their ownership. Dropping over $20m for a protected first and a second is a pretty decent deal, especially as Portland, Washington, Toronto, and Denver are all well above the tax without many places to dump significant money. 

I have trashed the Plumlee signing since day one for this exact reason. 

Here is what I said about the signing last year:

If he was an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and the Nuggets' horrible management wasn't going to sign him, I don't know if he would have even grabbed the mini-MLE. I still think it was the worst signing of 2017 because of the opportunity cost that was displayed last night.
Overall Karnisovas did a pretty good job dumping all of that salary between the 2 trades, though it is obviously still baffling as to why he amplified that problem in the first place.

The Bulls-Thunder trade idea of Cristano Felicio for Carmelo Anthony makes so much sense for both teams that it's bound not to happen.

Thunder save money over waiving and stretching Melo plus have a contract they could add in some future trade.

Bulls get rid of a bad long term contract to free up even more money for next year. (LaVine would be their only high dollar contract.)

Dunno if Leprechauns can handle that kind of elevation, but the Li'l Fella will be a perfect sparkplug off the bench  for the Nugs (if he's sound) and he won't stick out on a team that don't play a lick o' defense anyway. Denver replaces Rockets as my West team agin the Big Bad Coasties
Kind of what I was thinking. Team plays no defense and consecutively jacks up 3s.

I saw that several teams have approached the Celtics about doing a sign and trade for Marcus Smart including the Nets, Grizzlies, and Kings. My question is, what would be in it for the Celtics to get them to make such a move? They wouldn't want to take on a bad contract as that would put them over the luxury tax threshold. I'm pretty sure the Nets aren't keen on trading first round picks with Boston given how well that worked out the last time. They already have the Kings first round pick next year (first overall protected) and the Grizzlies first round pick next year (Top 8 protected). What could these teams offer them to get them to do a S & T? I don't think Smart is such a big piece that they can't afford to lose him, but I can't think of a situation where they get anything back that would actually help them.

I saw that several teams have approached the Celtics about doing a sign and trade for Marcus Smart including the Nets, Grizzlies, and Kings. My question is, what would be in it for the Celtics to get them to make such a move? They wouldn't want to take on a bad contract as that would put them over the luxury tax threshold. I'm pretty sure the Nets aren't keen on trading first round picks with Boston given how well that worked out the last time. They already have the Kings first round pick next year (first overall protected) and the Grizzlies first round pick next year (Top 8 protected). What could these teams offer them to get them to do a S & T? I don't think Smart is such a big piece that they can't afford to lose him, but I can't think of a situation where they get anything back that would actually help them.
It isn’t happening, no harm in teams kicking the tires on it though. 

Allow me to hoopsplain - MetroBoston has two sportschannels to fill airtime on for the 16-20 hours/day that arent games & infomercials. Those channels employ a couple dozen people who are hired to be attractive and/or enthusiastic & tireless @ addressing Beantown sports issues for hours & hours each day, who among them have never investigated a story and have maybe one & a half actual contacts between them. Stringers/reporters for online sites know they can make up any damn Boston story they want and both NESN or NBCSportsBoston will call them and pay them $278 to talk about their rumor on the phone for five minutes. If it comes from Globe & Herald,its held to a standard, if it comes from Barstool, Yahoo, Athletic stringers it's somewhere between rumored & made up. nufced

When they trade Kawhi they should be open to taking back bad contracts. They should go full rebuild. So trade Kawhi to whoever and then say we will also take bad contract of player B if you throw in another asset. 
You aren't going to get a full on tank top with SA. It's not in their culture especially if Pop is still there. 

The Bulls-Thunder trade idea of Cristano Felicio for Carmelo Anthony makes so much sense for both teams that it's bound not to happen.

Thunder save money over waiving and stretching Melo plus have a contract they could add in some future trade.

Bulls get rid of a bad long term contract to free up even more money for next year. (LaVine would be their only high dollar contract.)
I thought this at first too. It was Felicio and Lopez for Melo. Saves them about 7 mil on the surface. Some more if they can unload Lopez or find a third partner. 

As a bulls fan, I'd love it. But OKC trading a single season of a horrific contract for 3 years of a bad one, just doesnt seem that great.

I wish I had all the numbers behind OKCs options at this point because I'm sure it only comes down to that. 

:loco:  if there was legit issues between Ben and Embiid, do you really think Colin would know about it and the intense dopey Phily sports media wouldn't discuss?

i don't know if Ben's relationship makes it to the NBA season, let alone years from now. i certainly am little nervous Ben could head out of Philly, but he will sign the big max contract with Philly 1st i think
Depends, Colin does have some insiders especially in NE with the whole NE BB and Brady thing. I know it's not Philly either but still. Was one of the first to reportage NE issuest. Broussard didn't flinch when Colin said it so something could be going on. I think if Colin was pulling something out of nowhere Broussard would've said something about that and stopped it there. Broussard just mentioned how certain superstar players over the years like Bryant/Shaq, MJ/Pippen, Magic/Karem etc had their differences and still turned out well.  Plus I think most of the people who cover the Sixers are afraid of saying anything negative about the team right now and were the biggest culprit of the whole LeBron to Philly thing. Never thought that was possible even when people started talking about when the tanking first started. Philly just unfortunately doesn't offer the gigs that LA or MIA can in terms of after basketball ventures for LeBron. I know the LA media is bad but the Philly media would be relentless on LeBron if they didn't succeed either. He already had a house in LA close to staples center and everything. Heck I remember Embiid telling SHelbourn back in Dec he wanted to have his fun before eventually everyone turns against him. Embiid knows eventually his antics will get old especially if the team doesn't at least get to the finals soon.

As for Ben leaving I've been of the opinion that he's not going to be as good as people think he is and he'll either get massively overpaid by Philly or someone else. I think Philly has too keep surrounding him with shooters and guys who can defend. How well he adjust to teams next year is a key. He needs some sort of jumper any kind. I don't care if he underhands the ball. Just something. Even if it's inconsistent it keeps the defense honest knowing he will throw one up. Its like having that C/PF who doesn't hit from midrange/outside often but if given the chance will attempt it. Keeps the defense honest. Those Jenners/Kardashians can be a huge problem though even after you split causing other issues for you. Basically once you're in you stay in no matter how far away you get. I don't think Ben dating her is cause for the world is ending reactions but should have some more cautionary reactions and hope nothing bad happens with him like many other athletes going out with this family has. Hopefully Brown had a discussion with him about this. DOn't know why Ben split up with the girl he had been dating. Seemed like a nice girl and kept things quite. But these young athletes are very vulnerable. 

Allow me to hoopsplain - MetroBoston has two sportschannels to fill airtime on for the 16-20 hours/day that arent games & infomercials. Those channels employ a couple dozen people who are hired to be attractive and/or enthusiastic & tireless @ addressing Beantown sports issues for hours & hours each day, who among them have never investigated a story and have maybe one & a half actual contacts between them. Stringers/reporters for online sites know they can make up any damn Boston story they want and both NESN or NBCSportsBoston will call them and pay them $278 to talk about their rumor on the phone for five minutes. If it comes from Globe & Herald,its held to a standard, if it comes from Barstool, Yahoo, Athletic stringers it's somewhere between rumored & made up. nufced
:goodposting: Happens in some cities, but Boston in particular always has odd rumors coming out of their sports media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread