What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PoolGuys safety question (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Going away to a vacation at a rental house with a pool with my family and extended family. Figure like 10 kids between the ages of 1 and 7.  Everyone is concerned about one of the kids making a break for the pool when no adults are around, or sleep walking out to the pool, or some other awful tragedy. 

We’re looking to buy some kind of protection for the week. Money is really not an issue. I heard there are some kind of floating alarms you can put in pools that will go off when someone jumps in. I also heard something about some kind of bracelets you can put on all the kids that will sound an alarm if they go in the water. 

Any of you pool nerds have any ideas or contraptions I can buy to make this week more relaxed for everyone?  Short of hiring a hot college chick to lifeguard all week, which would be so money, but probably not in the cards. 

TIA

Going away to a vacation at a rental house with a pool with my family and extended family. Figure like 10 kids between the ages of 1 and 7.  Everyone is concerned about one of the kids making a break for the pool when no adults are around, or sleep walking out to the pool, or some other awful tragedy. 

We’re looking to buy some kind of protection for the week. Money is really not an issue. I heard there are some kind of floating alarms you can put in pools that will go off when someone jumps in. I also heard something about some kind of bracelets you can put on all the kids that will sound an alarm if they go in the water. 

Any of you pool nerds have any ideas or contraptions I can buy to make this week more relaxed for everyone?  Short of hiring a hot college chick to lifeguard all week, which would be so money, but probably not in the cards. 

TIA
I'll watch it for $5K.

TIA
My link

Seriously though, this house is in the middle of nowhere in upstate New York. This isn’t baller scale stuff. 

Is there a door leading outside to the pool? They sell a gadget alarm that you can clip to the door. It will sound when it’s armed and the door is opened. You can pick one up for like 30 bucks. 

Get one of those floating alarm things.  If the water gets disturbed they'll go off.

This, and you and your family watch your freaking kids like there's a pool nearby. 

The problem is the alarm will get turned off because people get tired of it. The mere presence of it could be even more lethal because you get a false sense of security and let your guard down. 

My sisters’ pool was built with peg holes in the pavers that support a tight fencing for this very purpose. I would think a homeowner doing rentals would want the same security and less liability. Ask them about it. 

No matter what remember that many drownings happen with people very close by “watching” them. People in survival mode do not scream or thrash about. As was said above, be diligent.

The bigger problem in these types of situations is during broad daylight when everyone is out by the pool.  That is a lot of young kids.  I'm assuming there will be plenty of day drinking on this vacation.  What happens is that everyone assumes some other responsible adult is watching all the kids in the pool.  

How big is this pool? If in-ground, get one of those temporary fences to put around it. 
Interesting. I suppose seems like an option. So we could “close” the pool when it’s not swimming time. 

Appardntly we called the owners and there is no fence but I’m not opposed to some kind of temporary thing we can put up at night. 

You're going to leave multiple children under the age of seven unsupervised by an adult? 

How about one of you holds it to under eight beers and sacks up enough to pretend to be a responsible parent? 
Of course we’re not going to leave them alone. The concern is one of the kids climbing out of bed at night and going out there, or while everyone is jnsufe having dinner and one runs out the back door, or something. But yes generally we’re not total idiots and will be watching our kids like hawks in and near the pool (yes with a little daydrinking but we won’t all be getting shhammered.  Just thinking about worst case scenarios. 

You're going to leave multiple children under the age of seven unsupervised by an adult? 

How about one of you holds it to under eight beers and sacks up enough to pretend to be a responsible parent? 
Unfortunately vigilant families lose children to drownings every day. No reason to be so judgmental when Otis is going above and beyond looking for additional safety measures. 

I would speak with the owner and have them put up a fence at your expense. 

With that said you still need to watch the older kids who may stand on a chair and prop the gate open.

Agree with others who said in situations like this everyone gets complacent assuming another adult is watching.

drownings are quiet. A kid will sink down without making a sound.

I imagine most people with pools arent paranoid of drowning. 
Yeah you’d be wrong. Not sure if the house has a doggy door but kids will crawl through that. 

You want high locks for the house, and a fence for the pool. Even then #### can happen but that’s a good start. 

Living in AZ everyone has a pool and everyone knows someone who had a kid drown or near drown if you live here long enough. 

He should be paranoid. Pools are scary AF when little kids who can’t swim are involved, and adding older kids to the mix makes it more dangerous as compared to just having a bunch of 2 year olds who couldn’t open the gate.

Hire a lifeguard for the week. 

The sensors are great but only if no one is supposed to be in the pool. If all the kids are in the pool, you will need someone to keep track of all kids at all times. Can the kids swim?  The kids that can't swim get those arm flotation things at a minimum!

I'll bid $4850 

Hire a lifeguard for the week. 

The sensors are great but only if no one is supposed to be in the pool. If all the kids are in the pool, you will need someone to keep track of all kids at all times. Can the kids swim?  The kids that can't swim get those arm flotation things at a minimum!

I'll bid $4850 
I thought about this as well but you still have the issue of kids sneaking out when the lifeguard isn’t there. Not a bad idea in any event if parents want to enjoy themselves.

I think when you are worried about kids sleepwalking into the pool that crosses a level into paranoia. I mean how do you keep kids from sleepwalking into the road? 

He didn't say sleepwalking, right? Said going outside at night, which can happen. 

Young kids generally have had a much better understanding of why the road is dangerous drilled into them. At home, at school, playing in the yard. All the time. Kids who don't grow up around a pool don't always have that. Also the danger of getting hit by a car is inherently scarier and more obvious to a kid than the dangers of water. 

And kids still walk out of their houses and into the road sometimes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Why didn't you figure out if there are adequate safety methods available to you BEFORE renting the place with a pool?  

Users who are viewing this thread