What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many PKs could you make? (1 Viewer)

Tom Servo

Nittany Beavers
Danny Kannell ( :rolleyes:  I know, but bear with me here) said he could easily make 3 of 10 PKs  against a goalie. 

Now, some commenters added that you would be doing this after 120 minutes of running. I didn’t get that from his comment, but I’ll ask this way:

1. 10 penalty kicks against a World Cup goalie. 

2. Full crowd of however many thousand people. 

3. Both of you are fully rested and ready to go. 

Questions:

1. How many do you make?

2. How would a punter or FG kicker do? Better or worse than a retired QB?

Not sure exactly, I played soccer so better than most but I can say:

1. It's a lot easier to miss the net than one might think

2. To put the kind of velocity onto the ball needed to beat a WC level keeper, it's very easy to miss the net 

3. If the GK knew you were a total amatuer (or realized it after a couple kicks), you would be in trouble as wouldn't be forced to guess and commit so quickly and instead would be able to wait and see. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't watch much soccer and I've never played so zero I'm sure. Now, I have a question.  Would you be allowed to fake a missed kick, do a bad Jerry Lewis impersonation and flop around on the ground pretending to be in pain and then if the goalie came to help you out jump up and kick one in? So maybe one if I could pull off that move. 

Questions:

1. How many do you make?

2. How would a punter or FG kicker do? Better or worse than a retired QB?
I'd give myself a fighting chance to hit 5 - probably more like 3-4

I don't have quite the pace I used to, but I took PKs for my team in college, and still have the technique.  In that situation, the challenge would definitely be trying to avoid overhitting the ball.  Give me a week to practice, and, I'd feel good about my chances.

I would say a typical punter or FG kicker would fare worse - their natural technique would lead to many of the kicks going over the bar.  As for Kanell, I don't know his background - but if it does not include soccer at all, his odds of hitting just 1 would be pretty low.

I'd give myself a fighting chance to hit 5 - probably more like 3-4

I don't have quite the pace I used to, but I took PKs for my team in college, and still have the technique.  In that situation, the challenge would definitely be trying to avoid overhitting the ball.  Give me a week to practice, and, I'd feel good about my chances.

I would say a typical punter or FG kicker would fare worse - their natural technique would lead to many of the kicks going over the bar.  As for Kanell, I don't know his background - but if it does not include soccer at all, his odds of hitting just 1 would be pretty low.
Basically what Sinn said.  Played soccer through college and I'll go with an optimistic 3 today, 4 or 5 in my prime.

Played in HS, was one of the better PK takers on my team.  

Right now, maybe 1 out of 10.  With a week of practice, I'd set the betting line at 2.5.  

PK taker in high school. I'm a lot older now. I'm going one or two. 

eta* I'm going zero or one.  

played up and through college.  Back then in my prime, I like to think I could have made three to four.

Today it would be zero.

Are all of these PKs to win a World Cup game?  Or am I up there with little-to-no pressure, just going against a world class GK with a bunch of fans watching me for no reason?

Are all of these PKs to win a World Cup game?  Or am I up there with little-to-no pressure, just going against a world class GK with a bunch of fans watching me for no reason?
No WC game on the line; just you, a goalie, and a few thousand spectators.

If you played I imagine you could make a couple just through a combination of pace/location/luck.  Just go big every shot.  Hit the net 50%, score on 40-50% of those.

When I played, eons ago, I took PKs for our team. Walking out today in the given scenario, I think I could sneak one in. If I had some time to practice, I believe I’ve got a good chance at 3/10. 

I expect I'd score a handful.  Maybe 3-ish?  I'm sure the GK would guess wrong a few times, guess right a few times, and I'd probably miss the net a few times trying to hit the corners.  I've never been a frequent PK taker or set piece taker for teams I've played on.  As far as I can recall, I'm 1/1 lifetime in playoff PK shootouts with the game on the line.

Guessing 2-4.

Just rip it into high spots on either side and if you miss the net you miss.  Almost impossible for anyone to save there if hit with pace.

3. If the GK knew you were a total amatuer (or realized it after a couple kicks), you would be in trouble as wouldn't be forced to guess and commit so quickly and instead would be able to wait and see. 
So, I just conducted a very un-scientific experiment in the backyard.

I could kick a ball 12 yards accurately (read, I did not hit any of the windows above the target) in about 1 second.  I think the top pros are actually getting the ball on target in just over half a second.  But, even at a second, the keeper does not have any margin for error to save the ball - assuming its on frame.  The keeper is still having to read me before the kick to determine where he thinks I am going.  Once I have kicked, it will be too late to read and react.

This still assumes that I hit the ball accurately.  A ball that gets there in one second, but not on frame, or within the arm/leg reach of the keeper will get saved.

If you lined up all 10 balls at once, maybe 1. I'd kick one towards the far left side with just enough speed to hopefully get there and hope the goalie runs that way to stop it,  and then furiously kick the other nine in the direction of the far right side of the net and hope one makes it before the goalie gets back. So let's just assume 0. 

I would have to resort to an un-aimed toe boot. Neither me nor the goalie would have any idea where it is going.
This is what I was going to say. Effectively wild, as in he could read my eyes and still have no idea where the ball is going.

This is just like the catch a punt thread or return a tennis pro's serve thread.  We act like these pro athletes are super human sometimes.

I'd put the house that I could get at least 2 of 10 past.  Which is pathetic by the way since I know where I'm going to kick the ball and the goalie doesn't.  And kicking a ball hard really isn't that difficult to do.  I know, I know I have no idea how hard real soccer guys kick the ball, yada yada.

This is just like the catch a punt thread or return a tennis pro's serve thread.  We act like these pro athletes are super human sometimes.

I'd put the house that I could get at least 2 of 10 past.  Which is pathetic by the way since I know where I'm going to kick the ball and the goalie doesn't.  And kicking a ball hard really isn't that difficult to do.  I know, I know I have no idea how hard real soccer guys kick the ball, yada yada.
If you gave me 20 minutes to warm up/practice, I'd catch 70% of punts and return 0% serves.

Users who are viewing this thread