What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you pay the babysitter? (1 Viewer)

Wrigley

Footballguy
I know there is a thread in here somewhere about paying the babysitter, but the search function blows

Wife and I(along with 7 others) are going kayaking tomorrow, and will be gone for most of the day.  In the past we've pretty much had a live in babysitter(SIL), but to my dismay, she is coming along for the float.   This will be our first time paying a sitter to watch our 3 little ones aged 7-5.    My niece, who's 15, has offered to help and has told me she could really use the money.  My sister has offered to drop her off and pick her up....thank god, I'm not sure I'll be in any kind of shape to drive her home. 

How much do I pay my niece to watch my kids for the better part of 8 hours?  

:banned:

babysitters here in NYC are $12/hr and up ... for one kid. (usually $15 min, but we get ex felons and recovering drug addicts for a few dollars less)

15yo niece at home for a full day looking after three cousins.. in "the burbs"? $75-100 seems like a lot for a 15yo family member, but also fair. free lunch too I assume

$10 per hour seems to be the going rate
Think it really depends where you are. For that amount I would be lucky to get a homeless guy. I am near 20 per hour for my three kids (of course it is NYC). 

Last edited by a moderator:
babysitters here in NYC are $12/hr and up ... for one kid. (usually $15 min, but we get ex felons and recovering drug addicts for a few dollars less)

15yo niece at home for a full day looking after three cousins.. in "the burbs"? $75-100 seems like a lot for a 15yo family member, but also fair. free lunch too I assume
my gut reaction was $50, which is kind of on those lines, but about a half-price discount.

Completely depends on their skillset.  Ya know, like experience, age, drivers license.............................If the person can't drive, no way you pay any sort of "going rate"

Around here the basic fee is $60 for a night out that at least ends by midnight for local kids.  On up from there. 

We have a lady that works in professional daycare for little kids that we pay more like $20/hr since she's highly trained.  If there's something that requires driving the kids around or anything other than putting them to bed we use her.  

I don't think we could get a crack addict for 10 an hour in Dallas.  I mean SitterCity is basically the bottom of the barrel and they won't even send you a schedule for less than 15.  

i utilize 2 teens to dog sit.  one gets 5- an hour, the other 12-.  caveat....my wife essentially offered her 12-.  dope.

Wow..I realize now how lucky we were.  My dad passed when I was young and when I got married my mom bought a condo 2 miles from us.  We never had a baby sitter other than her.  Since she was by herself many times If we did not go out for 2 weeks she would beg us to go out so she could be with the kids.  Plus if we got home late she was usually sleeping in bed with one of our girls and would just spend the night.   Same thing with our dogs..she would just stay at our home with them when we were on vacation.

Wow..I realize now how lucky we were.  My dad passed when I was young and when I got married my mom bought a condo 2 miles from us.  We never had a baby sitter other than her.  Since she was by herself many times If we did not go out for 2 weeks she would beg us to go out so she could be with the kids.  Plus if we got home late she was usually sleeping in bed with one of our girls and would just spend the night.   Same thing with our dogs..she would just stay at our home with them when we were on vacation.
Yeah, since we've moved back to SoCal (where my parents are), we've never had a babysitter.  Now, my parents are getting older and can't stay up past 10-11ish, so we're a little handcuffed in terms of getting home late, but it's good to have them around and available/wanting to watch our kiddos.

Small town rate for me....$5 an hour for two kids and we always paid up 1-2 hours  to make sure we got the sitter when needed, cheap investment for the extra $10. 

Chicago burbs and she's only 15(and during day time), $100 seems a little over the top

Gosh, I thought $50 was about right.......maybe I'm just cheep  :shrug:

I'll ask my sister what she thinks is appropriate.   Want to give her enough that she'll come back 

I know there is a thread in here somewhere about paying the babysitter, but the search function blows

Wife and I(along with 7 others) are going kayaking tomorrow, and will be gone for most of the day.  In the past we've pretty much had a live in babysitter(SIL), but to my dismay, she is coming along for the float.   This will be our first time paying a sitter to watch our 3 little ones aged 7-5.    My niece, who's 15, has offered to help and has told me she could really use the money.  My sister has offered to drop her off and pick her up....thank god, I'm not sure I'll be in any kind of shape to drive her home. 

How much do I pay my niece to watch my kids for the better part of 8 hours?  

:banned:
We pay $15 an hour for ours. Use this awesome service where it is basically uber for babysitters.

Chicago burbs and she's only 15(and during day time), $100 seems a little over the top

I'll ask my sister what she thinks is appropriate.   Want to give her enough that she'll come back 
3 kids - 8 hours - during the day.

Its not like they are going to be sleeping after a couple hours and shes basically hanging out :shrug:

$50 for a night when kids are sleeping is one thing.

But 8 hours during the day with 3 kids? That's $6/hour total or $2/hour per kid. Not good.

I get that she's family and only 15, but that's pretty cheap. Most "real" babysitters will get $50 for just 3-4 hours during an evening for 1 kid.  You're doubling the time, during the day, and tripling the kids.  If you really think $100 is too much, it should be at least $75-80, IMO. She's committing an entire day for you guys.

Plus, this is a one off thing. If she were a regular, you could discount a bit. Considering you never have to pay for babysitter service, consider yourself lucky and treat her right.

3 kids - 8 hours - during the day.

Its not like they are going to be sleeping after a couple hours and shes basically hanging out :shrug:
My kids are usually one of two places, running wild with the kids in the culdesac(or our back yard), or stuck on their stupid phones/tablets 

They are pretty easy, her main job will be to essentially make sure they don't die......that and make sure they get their mandatory 18 snacks and 5 popcycles 

I'm guessing she'll be in the house most of the time watching her shows, or playing on her phone herself 

My kids are usually one of two places, running wild with the kids in the culdesac(or our back yard), or stuck on their stupid phones/tablets 

They are pretty easy, her main job will be to essentially make sure they don't die......that and make sure they get their mandatory 18 snacks and 5 popcycles 

I'm guessing she'll be in the house most of the time watching her shows, or playing on her phone herself 
Whatever you need to tell your self for running a sweat shop ;) :)

We have two "babysitters" we use.  In my hometown, which is somewhat rural with a lower cost of living, we use 2 teenage girls and pay them a combined $15/hr. I thought this was a bit overkill since we only have two kids. But, they're super reliable and great and all so we pony the extra $5. I will round up on time to their favor but do not tip. 

In the Phoenix area we use one particular babysitter.  She's either 10 or 12 per hour (or 20 an hour if she's tasked to watch both my kids and my in-laws' kids) but tip is expected.  So, she probably shakes out to $15/hr. as well. 

Makes a night out for my wife and I at least $150 (figuring dinner, drinks, etc.) rwhich is steep but worth it. 

ETA: I don't spring for food for them. 

Small town rate for me....$5 an hour for two kids and we always paid up 1-2 hours  to make sure we got the sitter when needed, cheap investment for the extra $10. 
Yeah, it's probably accurate that the tip isn't needed/expected, but by doing it we've never been told no when we've asked - even if it's last minute. 

we pay $4/hr per kid.

last time i threw the kid $50 for a few hours work. she acted like she was going to go get a platinum chain and some gold fronts. 

does the kid have access to another source of money? a part-time job? mows lawns? babysits other kids? 

the less the kid knows about money the cheaper you go  :oldunsure:

For 3 kids? Ages? 

$50 seems too little. 

we pay $4/hr per kid.

last time i threw the kid $50 for a few hours work. she acted like she was going to go get a platinum chain and some gold fronts. 

does the kid have access to another source of money? a part-time job? mows lawns? babysits other kids? 

the less the kid knows about money the cheaper you go  :oldunsure:
Her main source of income is babysitting her younger cousins. 

Identical 7 year olds, and the crazy one is 5

But they all adore their older cousin and are very excited for her to watch them. 
Well, that's not so bad then.  My experience has been with toddlers and infants and hiring non-family.  

All these flat numbers are not the way to go. It's hourly. If you're gone 6 hours, I'm thinking $12 an hour so $72. If you're gone 8 house, $96. If you;re only gone 4, well you get the idea. It's not a flat fee. You pay by the hour. 

Here in St. Louis, we use exactly 2 sitters outside of family and they get $10/hour for my four kids (ages 2-10)

i'd happily pay $80-100.  it's 3 kids!!  3!!  if you want her to do it again, pay a little extra.  plus, she's family.

i had a licensed caregiver that lived 2 doors down from me, we paid her$15/hour for 1 kid and always gave her a little extra.  she is now, 10 years later, a surrogate grandma to my 12 year old.  the 2 of them just spent a weekend together in laguna.

i'd happily pay $80-100.  it's 3 kids!!  3!!  if you want her to do it again, pay a little extra.  plus, she's family.

i had a licensed caregiver that lived 2 doors down from me, we paid her$15/hour for 1 kid and always gave her a little extra.  she is now, 10 years later, a surrogate grandma to my 12 year old.  the 2 of them just spent a weekend together in laguna.
And if all your kids survive and none had to go to the ER, tip. Always tip. 

All these flat numbers are not the way to go. It's hourly. If you're gone 6 hours, I'm thinking $12 an hour so $72. If you're gone 8 house, $96. If you;re only gone 4, well you get the idea. It's not a flat fee. You pay by the hour. 

Here in St. Louis, we use exactly 2 sitters outside of family and they get $10/hour for my four kids (ages 2-10)
Well we're only talkin " flat fees" cuz he said it's an 8-hour job

14? Is that considered a millennial? Because they have the worst financial future ahead of them...I'd up the wage a bit.

And maybe just invest it directly into a trust fund for her so she doesn't spend it all on a couple of strawberry-vanilla soy venti lattes and a fancy cell phone case on the way home.

14? Is that considered a millennial? Because they have the worst financial future ahead of them...I'd up the wage a bit.

And maybe just invest it directly into a trust fund for her so she doesn't spend it all on a couple of strawberry-vanilla soy venti lattes and a fancy cell phone case on the way home.
Now we're talking, maybe I'll just buy her a latte and a new iphone case. 

Users who are viewing this thread