What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (8 Viewers)

I find all these posts amusing, and there are lots of them saying, "you guys are obsessed with AOC", or "why are all of you so worried about AOC?".  Well, she puts herself out there for all to see and judge.  Is that abnormal?   She's the attention seeker, so she gets the attention she seeks.

I find all these posts amusing, and there are lots of them saying, "you guys are obsessed with AOC", or "why are all of you so worried about AOC?".  Well, she puts herself out there for all to see and judge.  Is that abnormal?   She's the attention seeker, so she gets the attention she seeks.
I wonder what other person seems to do that very same thing?

I'm aware.  Are you?  We have had president tweet storm for the last 2+ years.  
So?  I don't care that people respond to Trump's tweets, just as those in this forum shouldn't care about responses to AOC, but they do.  That is evident by all the responses, "why are you scared of AOC?", or "You are obsessed with AOC".  

Ah, the daily "oh yeah, well what about Trump???!!!"

People aren't trying to change the subject with the Trump references here.  They're simply pointing out that there's no way these are good faith attacks on the woman's intelligence and consistency, because the same people (for the most part) are silent at best when a far more powerful white male Republican displays his far more consequential stupidity and inconsistency in far more obvious ways on a daily basis. And of course he's not alone- the same thing could be done with Louie Gohmert or Matt Gaetz or any number of other white male Republican legislators that presumably are supported by other Republicans even if those Republicans didn't vote for Trump.

It's a valid point, and one that I have yet to hear anyone address beyond whining about people making it.

People aren't trying to change the subject with the Trump references here.  They're simply pointing out that there's no way these are good faith attacks on the woman's intelligence and consistency, because the same people (for the most part) are silent at best when a far more powerful white male Republican displays his far more consequential stupidity and inconsistency in far more obvious ways on a daily basis. And of course he's not alone- the same thing could be done with Louie Gohmert or Matt Gaetz or any number of other white male Republican legislators that presumably are supported by other Republicans even if those Republicans didn't vote for Trump.

It's a valid point, and one that I have yet to hear anyone address beyond whining about people making it.
Same difference.  :shrug: 

It is actually the very definition of changing the subject. You want people to discuss trump instead of AOC in the AOC thread. 

It is actually the very definition of changing the subject. You want people to discuss trump instead of AOC in the AOC thread. 
Disagree. I want to make the point that these people are hypocrites who are buying into a silly narrative about AOC that Fox News is pushing on them because villains are good for ratings.  Trump is just the clearest and obvious example of that hypocrisy.

No, there's a big difference.

One is a freshman congresswoman with very little power, the other is the most powerful person on earth.

What he says and does is 1000X more consequential. 
A whataboutism is a whataboutism.   AOC's hairbrain ideas like her GND and 70 percent tax rates  are becoming litmus tests for what is likely going to be the next president.   Her tweets and social media posts are shaping the DNC.   She is currently the most influential voice on the left.   The idea she and her ideas are not worthy of attention is ridiculous.   She is driving your party.  

A whataboutism is a whataboutism.   AOC's hairbrain ideas like her GND and 70 percent tax rates  are becoming litmus tests for what is likely going to be the next president.   Her tweets and social media posts are shaping the DNC.   She is currently the most influential voice on the left.   The idea she and her ideas are not worthy of attention is ridiculous.   She is driving your party.  
Anyone that wants to eliminate air travel is nuts.

Disagree. I want to make the point that these people are hypocrites who are buying into a silly narrative about AOC that Fox News is pushing on them because villains are good for ratings.  Trump is just the clearest and obvious example of that hypocrisy.
So were whataboutisms Clinton, Gore and Obama.  Pointing out hypocrisy is not tolerated in Trump threads. 

Not as nuts as someone who thinks the noise from windmills causes cancer.
Gotcha...so whataboutism's are allowed from the Anti-Trump crowd here but not from anyone else. That is what I have seen so far here. And by the way...wanting to eliminate air travel is nuts. What Trump said is nuts too.

Obviously there's a lot wrong here, but the idea that 70% marginal tax rates on income over $10 million is a "hairbrain" idea might be the wrongest part.  It's a great idea, and it polls very well. It would probably poll even better if Americans understood the difference between tax rates and marginal tax rates. It's ridiculous that our highest bracket is $500K, and it's equally ridiculous that the marginal rate on that bracket is 37%.

Gotcha...so whataboutism's are allowed from the Anti-Trump crowd here but not from anyone else. That is what I have seen so far here. And by the way...wanting to eliminate air travel is nuts. What Trump said is nuts too.
Eliminating air travel entirely is not at all realistic, but addressing the carbon footprint of air travel in an effort to reverse climate change seems like a discussion worth having.

Obviously there's a lot wrong here, but the idea that 70% marginal tax rates on income over $10 million is a "hairbrain" idea might be the wrongest part.  It's a great idea, and it polls very well. It would probably poll even better if Americans understood the difference between tax rates and marginal tax rates. It's ridiculous that our highest bracket is $500K, and it's equally ridiculous that the marginal rate on that bracket is 37%.
People who claim a 70% marginal tax rate on income over $10mil  can't work don't know U.S. history and lose credibility.

70 percent tax rates are punitive and are incompatible with capitalism.   Anything over 50 percent should be illegal.  

FWIW AOC never said she wanted to eliminate air travel. Air travel wasn't mentioned at all in the GND, and what she said in an interview is that she wants to see a high speed rail expansion to the point that air travel "stops becoming necessary." 

I don't think it's a particularly practical idea, but there's a HUGE difference between saying you want to make it so something isn't necessary and saying you want to eliminate something. I want the Nationals to play well enough that an effective bullpen "stops becoming necessary," but I don't want them to eliminate their bullpen.

This is actually a great example of the whole Fox News false narrative thing. They need their villain so their advertisers can sell more reverse mortgages and gold coins to angry old people, and they're happy to lie to create one.

FWIW AOC never said she wanted to eliminate air travel. Air travel wasn't mentioned at all in the GND, and what she said in an interview is that she wants to see a high speed rail expansion to the point that air travel "stops becoming necessary." 

I don't think it's a particularly practical idea, but there's a HUGE difference between saying you want to make it so something isn't necessary and saying you want to eliminate something. I want the Nationals to play well enough that an effective bullpen "stops becoming necessary," but I don't want them to eliminate their bullpen.

This is actually a great example of the whole Fox News false narrative thing. They need their villain so their advertisers can sell more reverse mortgages and gold coins to angry old people, and they're happy to lie to create one.
What she said is nuts. Deal with it. How's that high speed rail working out so far? It's not a Fox News thing....it's common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread