Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Two fold:

1.  It's funny to see the priorities of some.

2.  There's more work to be done.  

As I've said, I am good with the 'point and laugh'....several have gone well passed that to obsession and I just don't get it especially when those same people remain relatively silent on more pressing problems.  I just don't get it :shrug: Anyway....this is my last post on this for a bit....back to solving the armageddon that is the cauliflower conundrum.  :thumbup: 

1- Agree, it's weird to post everyday obsessively about Trump.   Even weirder you think it needs to happen more.

2- #1 isn't accomplishing anything so if that's what you're doing to get "work" done, well, you will never be done.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

So now you’re keeping track of when I post? 

Did you used to be in a band called Animotion? 

When the same few people dominate every thread its not keeping track, it's hard to avoid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

I don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say your reading comprehension let you down again.  I'll go back and read though :thumbup: 

Quote

If someone making $450K a year doesn't get their taxable income down into a rate similar to mine only making $150K a year, they are an idiot or just plain lazy.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Trying to turn everything into a rich vs poor or white vs brown issue is kind of a big deal I think. Especially in this context. She is literally trying to win over support for her green new deal by making it sound like there is some shady ploy where urban gardens are exclusively growing white people vegetables or that there is even such a thing really. 

I mean seriously what is she talking about? It isn't like these things are loaded up with swiss chard and lingonberries and that's it. Do you know how hard it was for me to even think of those two examples? Thought of brussels sprouts but in reading learned that they come from the exact same species as cauliflower and guess what? They are one of the fastest growing crops in mexico. Thought about radishes, but here is actually an annual event known as Noche de Los Rábanos(night of the radishes)

The whole thing is absurd. 

ETA: Oh hell, found some data from many years ago where we were importing 99.8% of our swiss chard from mexico. lingonberries seem to be holding strong though.

 

@Ilov80s this comment from her today had me rolling considering our conversation from yesterday. 

Quote

This is a public announcement that we successfully grew, harvested, & ate spinach, collard greens, & swiss chard from the garden plot! 

One of the replies was pretty funny too.

Fox News: "AOC vows to put thousands of American vegetable growers out of work"

Edited by parasaurolophus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It is really funny how people complaining about the obsessiveness of people posting in a thread which is 146 pages long, have been obsessively posting in multiple Trump threads whose total pages are probably nearly 10,000 pages.  Seems they are at least 50 TIMES more obsessed.  

Edited by jon_mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like her because she reminds me of Lavar Ball.  I love when he goes off on his tangents. People who say outrageous things to sell or market themselves or their goods are entertaining. The media talks about whatever she says just like they do with Lavar Ball. So keep using them.

Edited by Da Guru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll keep posting that the right is losing their minds over her...they see her as such a threat.  146 pages for a random new congresswoman...impressive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

It is really funny how people complaining about the obsessiveness of people posting in a thread which is 146 pages long, have been obsessively posting in multiple Trump threads whose total pages are probably nearly 10,000 pages.  Seems they are at least 50 TIMES more obsessed.  

You really can't make this #### up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, killface said:

I'll keep posting that the right is losing their minds over her...they see her as such a threat.  146 pages for a random new congresswoman...impressive

:lmao:...A random new congressmen who second and third place Presidential candidates are fighting for her endorsement, and who also gets far more news coverage than the leading Democratic Presidential candidate.    She is THE FACE of the Democrat Party.  Any given day she has a dozen news stories about her from all types of media sources.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

A random new congressmen who second and third place Presidential candidates are fighting for her endorsement, and who also gets far more news coverage than the leading Democratic Presidential candidate.    She is THE FACE of the Democrat Party.  Any given day she has a dozen news stories about her from all types of media sources.  

She is not THE FACE of the Democratic Party, the only ones who see it that way are people like you who talk about her constantly and scrutinize her every statement, including a comment about cauliflower and community gardens. There may be dozens of news stories on the sites you frequent because she is their current favorite chew toy, but she isn't close to getting the same attention in Democratic, liberal and progressive circles. It is quite telling that you follow her on Twitter but I don't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

It is really funny how people complaining about the obsessiveness of people posting in a thread which is 146 pages long, have been obsessively posting in multiple Trump threads whose total pages are probably nearly 10,000 pages.  Seems they are at least 50 TIMES more obsessed.  

It would be extremely odd if we were not obsessed with Trump. He is after all President of the United States. He is also, by far, the most ubiquitous public figure in American history.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

She's definitely not the face of the party. Less than half of Democrats even identify as progressives. 
However, there does seem to be an effort on the right to convince people she is the face of the party to help the 2020 elections.
Oh no, you can't vote for a Democrat. They're all Socalists! OMG! OMG! OMG! Venezuela!

Edited by Mystery Achiever
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She is THE FACE of the Democrat Party.

Baloney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, killface said:

I'll keep posting that the right is losing their minds over her...they see her as such a threat.  146 pages for a random new congresswoman...impressive

I will keep posting that the left is obsessed with this woman. 146 pages defending every thing she says. They pay for comics and movies about her. Netflix paid more for a documentary about her than any other. She gets an article written about every one of her tweets by some lefty. She has what the third most twitter followers for any politician? 

Yikes. Its a bit weird guys. I am sure it has nothing to do with her being a young attractive woman. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

She's definitely not the face of the party. Less than half of Democrats even identify as progressives. 
However, there does seem to be an effort on the right to convince people she is the face of the party to help the 2020 elections.
Oh no, you can't vote for a Democrat. They're all Socalists! OMG! OMG! OMG! Venezuela!

Just look at the last day.  Just a typical day for AOC, she has stories about her from the New York Times, CNN, CNBC, Fox News, Politico, the Hill, the New York Post, Newsweek, Mother Jones....virtually every major  news organization is covering every word she says everyday.  They all have different angles and cover different topics.  Her views on gardening.  Her views on the finale of the GoT.   Her views in Biden.   Who she is going to endorse.  Discussion of her green new deal.  Day in and day out, you can find news on AOC.  She is the most covered person behind Trump.  Biden, Warren, Pelosi, or Sanders don't get the coverage she gets combined.   That makes her the face of the Party whether the Party likes it or not.  And I agree most probably don't like it, but it does not change the fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Baloney

See post above.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Just look at the last day.  Just a typical day for AOC, she has stories about her from the New York Times, CNN, CNBC, Fox News, Politico, the Hill, the New York Post, Newsweek, Mother Jones....virtually every major  news organization is covering every word she says everyday.  They all have different angles and cover different topics.  Her views on gardening.  Her views on the finale of the GoT.   Her views in Biden.   Who she is going to endorse.  Discussion of her green new deal.  Day in and day out, you can find news on AOC.  She is the most covered person behind Trump.  Biden, Warren, Pelosi, or Sanders don't get the coverage she gets combined.   That makes her the face of the Party whether the Party likes it or not.  And I agree most probably don't like it, but it does not change the fact. 

What you wrote is correct until “that makes her the face of the party”. It doesn’t. 

First off, the face of the party is whoever will be the nominee. After that, it’s Pelosi. Don’t kid yourself about this.

AOC is third behind Sanders and Warren as the most prominent member of the progressive wing of the Democratic Party. That in itself is a remarkable achievement, given her age and inexperience. Even more remarkable: should Bernie and Warren both lose the nomination, which I expect will happen, then AOC will become THE most prominent progressive person in the country, and an immediate rival both to President Biden and Nancy Pelosi, and possibly more of a thorn on their side than any Republican post Trump. I could easily see that happening. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

What you wrote is correct until “that makes her the face of the party”. It doesn’t. 

First off, the face of the party is whoever will be the nominee. After that, it’s Pelosi. Don’t kid yourself about this.

AOC is third behind Sanders and Warren as the most prominent member of the progressive wing of the Democratic Party. That in itself is a remarkable achievement, given her age and inexperience. Even more remarkable: should Bernie and Warren both lose the nomination, which I expect will happen, then AOC will become THE most prominent progressive person in the country, and an immediate rival both to President Biden and Nancy Pelosi, and possibly more of a thorn on their side than any Republican post Trump. I could easily see that happening. 

The face of the party is the face.   It is who people see.   It is who people talk about.  Certainly Biden and Pelosi have more power and represent their views better, but they are not what people are seeing....ie., the face.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how many articles I have read about AOC this past week? None. The only mention of her I notice is when this topic inevitably gets bumped to the top of the forum because Jon is quoting her

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tonydead said:

1- Agree, it's weird to post everyday obsessively about Trump.   Even weirder you think it needs to happen more.

2- #1 isn't accomplishing anything so if that's what you're doing to get "work" done, well, you will never be done.  

Yeah, people that spent the last 3 years hyperventilating about Trump don’t get to complain about the weird fixation on AOC.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, timschochet said:

What you wrote is correct until “that makes her the face of the party”. It doesn’t. 

First off, the face of the party is whoever will be the nominee. After that, it’s Pelosi. Don’t kid yourself about this.

Exactly. He is falsely equating getting more current publicity with being the de facto face of the party, but it doesn't work that way. I would like to see a poll among non-Fox viewers asking "Who is the face of the Democratic Party?" and I doubt she would make the top 5. She is a new face, she is a fresh face, her ideas are getting a lot of attention, but that doesn't translate into her becoming the public's perception of the party.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

Just look at the last day.  Just a typical day for AOC, she has stories about her from the New York Times, CNN, CNBC, Fox News, Politico, the Hill, the New York Post, Newsweek, Mother Jones....virtually every major  news organization is covering every word she says everyday.  They all have different angles and cover different topics.  Her views on gardening.  Her views on the finale of the GoT.   Her views in Biden.   Who she is going to endorse.  Discussion of her green new deal.  Day in and day out, you can find news on AOC.  She is the most covered person behind Trump.  Biden, Warren, Pelosi, or Sanders don't get the coverage she gets combined.   That makes her the face of the Party whether the Party likes it or not.  And I agree most probably don't like it, but it does not change the fact. 

Maybe we're into semantics, but I don't think press coverage rises to "face of". She's  a  freshman congress member who doesn't speak for the party and whose views don't represent the majority of the party. She publicly identifies as a Democratic Socialist, so basically calling out that she has a different position.
I believe you on all of those stories, but personally see very little coverage. Mostly from stopping by this thread. The only things I remember seeing recently directly in the media are the stories on Sanders/Warren seeking her endorsement and the interest rate cap bill she's working on with Sanders.

Edited by Mystery Achiever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem with Ocasio-Cortez isn’t garbage disposal nonsense, millennial/generational appeal, or dumb political beef with Breitbart crowd.  It’s how she caves to Dem establishment time and time again, while Ilhan was out there getting roasted because she actually stood up for something.  She’s not an ally, she’s not a progressive, she’s not any good.  She’s a milquetoast Bernie liberal in “socialist” clothing.  

You can’t be like Bernie Sanders and act like a focus on domestic issues can possibly excuse ineffectual fingerwagging at the US national security state.  You can’t keep getting shat on by the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Andrew Cuomo, voting for them and sheepdogging your followers behind them, and keep pretending they’ll eventually come around to an actual populist goal.  You can’t keep ignoring the military industrial complex like it isn’t eating this country alive.

We need real courage, real leadership and a real opposition party in Washington.  Not Instagram star pretenders.  Tired of this joke clown and her never ending 15 mins of fame.  Spend the time and energy on someone that actually deserves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

The face of the party is the face.   It is who people see.   It is who people talk about.  Certainly Biden and Pelosi have more power and represent their views better, but they are not what people are seeing....ie., the face.  

Our media is driven by clicks, views, impressions, eyeballs and profits.  They don't care about news.  They covered Trump like they are covering AOC.  Welcome to the current state of our media.

Edited by urbanhack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

What did she say about Game of Thrones?

That the finale was clearly written by men.

Edited by Jayrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

That the finale was clearly written by men.

She wanted women to rule.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

That the finale was clearly written by men.

OK, just saw the video.  Are people taking that seriously?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ren hoek said:

My problem with Ocasio-Cortez...It’s how she caves to Dem establishment time and time again

😍

Don’t ever change, ren. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It will be interesting to see how much local political power AOC has, since she is endorsing fellow socialist Tiffany Caban for DA: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/05/22/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-backs-fellow-democratic-socialist-for-queens-da/amp/

She is more popular with the progressive elites than her local constituents.   I doubt it helps.   Despite what people say here, her seat is not safe from a democratic challenge.   

Edited by jon_mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AOC tweet of the day:  "This is a public announcement that we successfully grew, harvested, & ate spinach, collard greens, & swiss chard from the garden plot! As such, I now reserve the right to use this emoji 👩🏾‍🌾"

 

Only vegetables of color!  None of those evil imperialistic white vegetables like cauliflower.  :pickle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jon_mx said:

She wanted women to rule.  

Cersei and Dany did, Sansa does now.  And don't forget the Iron born chick and the crazy beotch from the Erie ruled at various times, so to the little chick with 62 knights who ended up stabbing the zombie giant.  Also in Dorne the females ruled, though from behind the throne.   I'd say women were thoroughly represented as being in power.  True, temporarily Bran is the king of the six realms, but women had a strong say.

As for AOC, well she must be relishing the power given to her by obsession with her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Cersei and Dany did, Sansa does now.  And don't forget the Iron born chick and the crazy beotch from the Erie ruled at various times, so to the little chick with 62 knights who ended up stabbing the zombie giant.  Also in Dorne the females ruled, though from behind the throne.   I'd say women were thoroughly represented as being in power.  True, temporarily Bran is the king of the six realms, but women had a strong say.

As for AOC, well she must be relishing the power given to her by obsession with her.

You do realize 100 pages of the 148 pages are obscenely ovely obsessive Trump-haters posting on how this one little thread is obsessive.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

OK, just saw the video.  Are people taking that seriously?

Maybe.  You'd have to ask them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been quite an educational week.

First we learned of these devices in our sinks called garbage disposals which are potential threats to our evironment.

Then we were informed how the white man were keeping people of color down by having vegetables like cauliflower grown in community gardens.

And for today's lesson, we are told of these crazy environmental casual tornados which are some new threat to mankind caused by the GOP.

AOC's tweet of the day:

AOCshared her thoughts on the warning on Instagram.@ocasio2018 via Instagram

“Guys, they just issued a tornado watch in D.C.,” she says in the video.

She then pans over and shows the rain and a few people who were caught in the deluge.

“Oh no, there’s people stuck outside. We need to get them out,” she said in the livestream.

“The climate crisis is real y’all … guess we’re at casual tornadoes in growing regions of the country,”

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:43 AM, jon_mx said:

You do realize 100 pages of the 148 pages are obscenely ovely obsessive Trump-haters posting on how this one little thread is obsessive.  

Dude, they no longer have individual counts for each poster in a thread, but if they did you would probably be the runaway leader of these 148 pages. I haven't made a count, but you must have twice as many posts as all of the liberals, progressives and AOC supporters combined.

If anyone is overly obsessed over AOC it is you, as evidenced by the fact, that once again, your above post is the first and only one so far today (until mine :hophead:).

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, squistion said:

Dude, they no longer have individual counts for each poster in a thread, but if they did you would probably be the runaway leader of these 148 pages. I haven't made a count, but you must have twice as many posts as all of the liberals, progressives and AOC supporters combined.

If anyone is overly obsessed over AOC it is you, as evidenced by the fact, that once again, your above post is the first and only one so far today (until mine :hophead:).

This page alone is about 80 percent discussion by/about leftist trolls who want to deflect.  Seems many do not want to acknowledge the pure ignorance of her quotes or defend it.   It is just troll and deflect.   Why not defend her scientifically incorrect statements.   Of course if you do defend her, even she will call you dumber than a sponge for believing the crap she says.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

This page alone is about 80 percent discussion by/about leftist trolls who want to deflect.  Seems many do not want to acknowledge the pure ignorance of her quotes or defend it.   It is just troll and deflect. Why not defend her scientifically incorrect statements.   Of course if you do defend her, even she will call you dumber than a sponge for believing the crap she says.  

I don't care and apparently few other progressives or liberals do either that she thinks yucca should be planted in a community garden instead of cauliflower. I know you follow her on Twitter, I don't and it was a non-story in liberal/progressive/Democratic circles. I didn't even know she said it until you posted it in this thread.

You still can't keep talking about this non issue saying again today that she informed us that  "the white man were keeping people of color down" Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, squistion said:

Dude, they no longer have individual counts for each poster in a thread, but if they did you would probably be the runaway leader of these 148 pages. I haven't made a count, but you must have twice as many posts as all of the liberals, progressives and AOC supporters combined.

If anyone is overly obsessed over AOC it is you, as evidenced by the fact, that once again, your above post is the first and only one so far today (until mine :hophead:).

Total falsehood with no evidence to support this. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Total falsehood with no evidence to support this. 

How can there be evidence unless I go back to page one and count every single poster's post over 146 pages?

Anyway, that is my perception. I could be wrong. If you want to go back and make a post count of jon_mx and all other posters over 146 pages so we can do a count of his posts versus liberals and progressives here, be my guest. If you prove me wrong I will be glad to acknowledge that.

:popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, squistion said:

I don't care and apparently few other progressives or liberals do either that she thinks yucca should be planted in a community garden instead of cauliflower. I know you follow her on Twitter, I don't and it was a non-story in liberal/progressive/Democratic circles. I didn't even know she said it until you posted it in this thread.

You still can't keep talking about this non issue saying again today that she informed us that  "the white man were keeping people of color down" Please.

This is like the third lie is two postings you have spewed.  I don't follow her on Twitter.  Her news pops up on Google, and I find her statements ridiculously funny in how dumb they are.

Look, I do not follow you around in your 80 friggin threads you bump on a weekly basis and tell you how obsessively stupid you are.   If you want to comment on the discussion fine.   If you just want to troll with your personalizations, take it somewhere else, like one of your threads.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

This is like the third lie is two postings you have spewed.  I don't follow her on Twitter.  Her news pops up on Google, and I find her statements ridiculously funny in how dumb they are.

Look, I do not follow you around in your 80 friggin threads you bump on a weekly basis and tell you how obsessively stupid you are.   If you want to comment on the discussion fine.   If you just want to troll with your personalizations, take it somewhere else, like one of your threads.  

Yeah, when you type in a famous person's name on Google that's generally what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The title of this article is “Democrats vie for AOC’s support”: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/23/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-2020-democrats/index.html

But that’s misleading. In truth, there are two candidates who ally themselves with AOC and would very much like her endorsement: Bernie Sanders and Liz Warren. All of the others, with one exception, need to be cautious: they neither want her support nor do they want to alienate her. So they will play a careful game. 

The exception, I believe, is Joe Biden. He has already distanced himself from her without naming her publicly- and she has criticized him directly. I think that at some point he’s going to take direct shots at her, probably after he has sewn up the nomination. Obviously the intent here, like Clinton with Sistah Souljah, is for Biden to position himself in the center, and thus destroy Trump’s attempts to label the Democrats as far left. And to be frank, some of AOC’s sillier statements make her a far better foil than Warren or Sanders could ever be. 

So AOC will serve a useful purpose for Biden- its great for him. Whether or not it’s great for the future of the Democratic Party is more problematic. AOC represents a real problem, IMO. The Democrats will be unified to defeat Trump. But the split is coming soon after that happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

This is like the third lie is two postings you have spewed.  I don't follow her on Twitter.  Her news pops up on Google, and I find her statements ridiculously funny in how dumb they are.

Look, I do not follow you around in your 80 friggin threads you bump on a weekly basis and tell you how obsessively stupid you are.   If you want to comment on the discussion fine.   If you just want to troll with your personalizations, take it somewhere else, like one of your threads.  

Both of you please drop it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Both of you please drop it. 

Sorry Joe, but he stars it every time and he reports it everytime and you justify his actions by these kind of responses to it.  If someone just comes up from nowhere and shoves you, that is the person who needs to be called out.  It is all recorded in black and white.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well, she does have a sense of humor unlike some of her critics:
 

Quote

RainnWilson‏ @rainnwilson 42m

I love the idea of a Green New Deal but @FoxNews said the plan includes the mandatory sucking of farts out of camels, solar panel skull implants, Al Gore face tattoos for all, and prison time for Ford F-250 owners. So must be true. Suck it, @AOC!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏Verified account @AOC 17m

If Fox News said it, it must be true! 

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.