What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Showing an Appointment... RUDE! (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
Venting - my wife and I own a personal training business. I bet 30% of people who schedule a free workout no-call no-show. I mean who the #### does this to a local business?

I know it’s a free session/tryout workout, but still... my trainers carve out 1 hour for these people. 

I had one lady do it 3 times and we called her and told her she couldn’t rebook and she was mad at us. But honestly she already wasted 3 hours of our schedule. 

Just pisses me off. Am I overreacting?

Venting - my wife and I own a personal training business. I bet 30% of people who schedule a free workout no-call no-show. I mean who the #### does this to a local business?

I know it’s a free session/tryout workout, but still... my trainers carve out 1 hour for these people. 

I had one lady do it 3 times and we called her and told her she couldn’t rebook and she was mad at us. But honestly she already wasted 3 hours of our schedule. 

No. You need to respect people's time and business. 

I don't blame you at all. 

Personal training. People get nervous and back out then don't know how to say no. I wouldn't overreact to everyone, most are probably just scared.

No, I pretty much plan on half of my initial client meetings being no-shows. NWIH, do I let them reschedule.

Exactly this.  Why are you giving away free service?  I assume it is just a trial/promotional deal.  Instead of free, charge a nominal fee, or as someone suggested earlier, charge specifically for a no-show.
Spun as a free fitness assessment with new membership. Really is just a sales job. But good trainers dont treat it like one. 

You won't get a credit card for most of these. It would reduce no shows but it would probably reduce assessments by substantially more. 

Cost of doing business, all it is. Tell them it's a one time offer and if they no show then that's it. Want a make up? Need to pay. 

Spun as a free fitness assessment with new membership. Really is just a sales job. But good trainers dont treat it like one. 

You won't get a credit card for most of these. It would reduce no shows but it would probably reduce assessments by substantially more. 

Cost of doing business, all it is. Tell them it's a one time offer and if they no show then that's it. Want a make up? Need to pay. 
I like this. We have to value our time. 

not over-reacting. being awfully generous, especially with the lady on her third missed appt.

had an architecture client- 30yo just married daughter of a super-rich dude who was footing the bill. she would routinely stand us up for meetings... even meetings with contractors and subs (sometimes up to a dozen people standing around waiting for her without a single text, email or call). we got used to it- and our firm billed hourly, so daddy got to pay for all her missed time. but the contractors and consultants didn't, and they were the ones I felt the worst for- guys we work with regularly losing money by the minute because of this nimrod. and never even an apology- sometimes an excuse of some kind later on... my dog got sick, yoga ran late, whatever. and then after moving in, I'd get phone calls in the middle of the night (phone calls no way in hell was I ever answering) because it was too hot in the apt and she didn't know how to turn the heat down. #####, open a window. 

but daddy paid, and the project ended up really nice, so there ya go. if you're in a service industry- which you are- we're at the whims of the people we're supplying the service to. usually cheap, lazy, thoughtless people... even the rich ones.

I'm guessing these people really don't want personal training but instead agree to a free session just to stop the personal trainers from harassing them. 

I'm guessing these people really don't want personal training but instead agree to a free session just to stop the personal trainers from harassing them. 
Biggest issues with many personal training clients are accountability and time management. 

I'm in the property management business.  I'll have people book an appointment Tuesday afternoon for Wednesday at noon.  I'll call at 11am to confirm that they'll be there and get an affirmative response.  An hour later they are a no show.  I'll call back to make sure they aren't lost or in traffic.  In the unlikely event that the pick up, it's always their mother that had to go to the hospital.

I have a local fitness training/camp thing guy with whom I signed up for a free session.

Within 10 minutes of signing up (facebook) this guy calls up with the most try hard sales job and insists (I said no thanks) upon signing me up for 3 months.  At no point did I agree to any of it, and of course I no longer wanted any part of him.  He caught on to none of this and hung up with the assumptive close... "we are going to whack that belly fat over the next 90 days!".

Damn straight I no call no showed.  Intentionally.  The dude's voicemails were awesome... so mad, then mean, then apologetic, then desperate.

I doubt you are that guy, but this is my story.   :coffee:

eta - the funny part of this is that I am Otis-like easy to get in the short term with these things - boot camps, cyclebars, crossfit, kickboxing... I've done the free session and signed up for 99% of them.  Let me do the damn free session, dangle a deal in front of me, and you have my money.  I'll be gone a couple months later.. but you got something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also - this is all day everyday in sales.

Schedule the call, remind/confirm the day before on email, call before to confirm, bring lunch/coffee/whatever... yep - they bail.

I have a local fitness training/camp thing guy with whom I signed up for a free session.

Within 10 minutes of signing up (facebook) this guy calls up with the most try hard sales job and insists (I said no thanks) upon signing me up for 3 months.  At no point did I agree to any of it, and of course I no longer wanted any part of him.  He caught on to none of this and hung up with the assumptive close... "we are going to whack that belly fat over the next 90 days!".

Damn straight I no call no showed.  Intentionally.  The dude's voicemails were awesome... so mad, then mean, then apologetic, then desperate.

eta - the funny part of this is that I am Otis-like easy to get in the short term with these things - boot camps, cyclebars, crossfit, kickboxing... I've done the free session and signed up for 99% of them.  Let me do the damn free session, dangle a deal in front of me, and you have my money.  I'll be gone a couple months later.. but you got something.
Reads like you have a background in sales, so you probably know that some are just after the sale whereas others are after the actual work then the selling takes care of itself.  

She no-shows 3 times. What did you hope to accomplish by calling her to tell her she can't rebook?

Yeah, #### people trying to make a living.

Not sure why you didn't just tell him you weren't interested at any point. Crappy thing to do, wasting somebody's time like that- even if you didn't like the hard sell.

Yeah we definitely don’t work our sales anywhere near like this. 

Welcome to my entire life
Yeah, I'd say a significant amount of appointments with me are no call no shows. Oftentimes these appointments at no cost or no further cost to the client/potential client.  So on its face it seems baffling when people don't show.  But, alas, nobody likes to see a dentist, doctor, lawyer, personal trainer, etc. because it's not fun to face a present issue in one's life. 

For me, though, the no shows don't always bother me (I do get annoyed when it's somebody rescheduling for the third time or I really need to talk to the person) because I have plenty of work I can do to fill the time.  I recognize that may not be the case for you or Roboto.   

Also - this is all day everyday in sales.

Schedule the call, remind/confirm the day before on email, call before to confirm, bring lunch/coffee/whatever... yep - they bail.
I'm getting killed right now on the B2B side.  The cannabis industry has a lot of issues right now adopting or grasping the fact they need technology.  This #### better pay off.

/rant

Yeah, I'd say a significant amount of appointments with me are no call no shows. Oftentimes these appointments at no cost or no further cost to the client/potential client.  So on its face it seems baffling when people don't show.  But, alas, nobody likes to see a dentist, doctor, lawyer, personal trainer, etc. because it's not fun to face a present issue in one's life. 

For me, though, the no shows don't always bother me (I do get annoyed when it's somebody rescheduling for the third time or I really need to talk to the person) because I have plenty of work I can do to fill the time.  I recognize that may not be the case for you or Roboto.   
 I do sales for a living and I have one or two phone calls every day were somebody cancels last minute or doesnt show and I agree with you, those are little gifts of time where I can get some other work done. 

But for our staff at the studio they are carving out time that they could be serving other paying customers or taking other sales appointments with people that are actually interested in showing up so it does cost us money. 

I get that it’s just cost of doing business.  Our standard offer is 2 free complementary sessions and we make a pretty big deal both on the phone and email correspondence that there will be no obligation after the first session. 

I know it’s just the cost of doing business in sales and maybe I’m more sensitive to it because my full-time job is sales so I know how frustrating it is to waste somebody’s time if you’re not interested.

Yeah, #### people trying to make a living.

Not sure why you didn't just tell him you weren't interested at any point. Crappy thing to do, wasting somebody's time like that- even if you didn't like the hard sell.
Or.. you could read the post?

guy calls up with the most try hard sales job and insists (I said no thanks) upon signing me up for 3 months.  At no point did I agree to any of it, and of course I no longer wanted any part of him.  He caught on to none of this 
The guy was a #####.

Last edited by a moderator:
matuski said:
Or.. you could read the post?

The guy was a #####.
:shrug:

"no thanks- because of this phone call, I'm now not interested in coming for my free session... buh-bye, and don't contact me again"

or yeah- just no show, because screw that guy.

:shrug:

"no thanks- because of this phone call, I'm now not interested in coming for my free session... buh-bye, and don't contact me again"

or yeah- just no show, because screw that guy.
Exactly.

If I ever acted like this in my sales career I would expect no different.

He was wasting my time, not the other way around.

Exactly.

If I ever acted like this in my sales career I would expect no different.

He was wasting my time, not the other way around.
he called trying to sell you something more than you signed up for. I hate that ####- hate the hard sell and the coldish call.

but none of that is going to make me take the low, crappy road in response. :shrug:  

"this phone call has made me not want to do business with you. don't contact me again. bye". 

5 seconds... wasted? 

he called trying to sell you something more than you signed up for. I hate that ####- hate the hard sell and the coldish call.

but none of that is going to make me take the low, crappy road in response. :shrug:  

"this phone call has made me not want to do business with you. don't contact me again. bye". 

5 seconds... wasted? 
You have decided I'm in the wrong, so I guess this back and forth is a waste.

You are making assumptions that are incorrect.

sorry if so- based on what I read: you signed up for a free session and then this jaggoff called trying to sell you more... which you didn't like, so you stood him on the free session. If so- I think that's a crappy thing to do, regardless of how jerky the gym salesperson was. If I missed something, let me know. 

mr roboto said:
 I do sales for a living and I have one or two phone calls every day were somebody cancels last minute or doesnt show and I agree with you, those are little gifts of time where I can get some other work done. 

But for our staff at the studio they are carving out time that they could be serving other paying customers or taking other sales appointments with people that are actually interested in showing up so it does cost us money. 

I get that it’s just cost of doing business.  Our standard offer is 2 free complementary sessions and we make a pretty big deal both on the phone and email correspondence that there will be no obligation after the first session. 

I know it’s just the cost of doing business in sales and maybe I’m more sensitive to it because my full-time job is sales so I know how frustrating it is to waste somebody’s time if you’re not interested.
Is it possible to kindly ask people when setting these appointments to please give you X amount of notice if cancelling? Maybe you do that already but a little friendly guilt can go a long way. 

I used to do a lot of tutoring and while it was a PITA the traveling to the site only for the client not to show, I always loved it. Ofcourse, I got paid regardless. 

Huh? No, I interpret him saying that it the caller was definitely a ##### and you took the low road by being a ##### back and not just simply cancelling your appointment and asking them to never call again. I don't see a single incorrect assumption or that he's saying you were solely in the wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread