What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: I'm SITTING David Johnson for ___________._ (1 Viewer)

Just acquired DJ and Ingram in a trade for Hopkins.  (Not my first round pick). I currently have DJ benched over Collins and Gio.  I put DJ in since I am favored to win even in he puts up a Dud

Lets remember, the Cardinals didn’t even cross mid field last week until there were seconds left in the game. This team is horrible. It’s not just a few bad games. This team is historically bad.

I agree if Rosen gets in, things could be a bit different. But if not, it’s going to be brutal.
I agree they could be historically bad and you are a fan so you obviously follow more closely.  However, the lowest scoring team of all time in a 16 game season were the 92 Seahawks with 140 points.  That is 8.75 a game. Cardinals are currently at 3 a game, a third of the worst offense ever.  That just is not going to persist at this level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting Kerryon over him this week.
Definitely bold. I’ve acquired Kerryon wherever I can as a hold until further on in the season, but I’m not sure the game script for Sunday favours him too much. Yes, he’s been getting touches AND targets which I think augers well for when they possibly start to use him more and more. Particularly in close games. For this one though, I’m envisioning a hell of a lot of Riddick. I think Kerryon ends up with around his usage in the last game, maybe a few touches more. 

Re DJ - there was a Bradford presser earlier this week where he said he’s been trying to do too much on early downs and now he knows he should be checking down to DJ a lot of time. He apparently repeated that same line about 3-4 times during the presser. 

I think we see a huge  uptick in DJ’s touches this week, it’s just whether or not he can do anything with them and whether or not Arizona can get into a position on the field to make a TD or 2 likely. 

Im coming back around to the possibility of starting him again. 

Definitely bold. I’ve acquired Kerryon wherever I can as a hold until further on in the season, but I’m not sure the game script for Sunday favours him too much. Yes, he’s been getting touches AND targets which I think augers well for when they possibly start to use him more and more. Particularly in close games. For this one though, I’m envisioning a hell of a lot of Riddick. I think Kerryon ends up with around his usage in the last game, maybe a few touches more. 

Re DJ - there was a Bradford presser earlier this week where he said he’s been trying to do too much on early downs and now he knows he should be checking down to DJ a lot of time. He apparently repeated that same line about 3-4 times during the presser. 

I think we see a huge  uptick in DJ’s touches this week, it’s just whether or not he can do anything with them and whether or not Arizona can get into a position on the field to make a TD or 2 likely. 

I can always have a last second change of heart.  But the Cardinals offense does not look capable of staying on the field long enough to get DJ production.. even if he touched it every play.

Agree on both points...the difficult thing is predicting how quickly the talk of changes might actually translate into results. Denver fan here and lived through the McCoy train wreck last year so maybe a little jaded.

More fodder..

http://arizonasports.com/story/1672512/despite-turmoil-arizona-cardinals-rb-david-johnson-remains-confident/

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/david-johnson-ready-for-trips-into-space

As a counter point I am certain a bold offensive mind like Patricia will definitely want to run the ball a ton on the Pats to control the clock blahblahblah.  So bold and original, I wonder why no one else thought of it?  So maybe, just maybe Patricia comes to the realization that Kerryon is probably the best back for that early in the game because he is more capable of chunk plays than Blount and isn't a liability in the passing game.  So it's possible, just possible, that Kerryon gets the majority of early game touches until the score gets out of hand.  So, what? Two drives? If Detroit receives kickoff.

After that, well I don't like Detroit to hold off an angry Pats team for long.

I agree they could be historically bad and you are a fan so you obviously follow more closely.  However, the lowest scoring team of all time in a 16 game season were the 92 Seahawks with 140 points.  That is 8.75 a game. Cardinals are currently at 3 a game, a third of the worst offense ever.  That just is not going to persist at this level.
If Rosen plays, I agree. If they change OC’s, I agree. But as things stand now, I have zero faith in this offense.

If you didn't draft David Johnson then sitting him is not a decision for you...then maybe just don't clutter the thread with your meaningless posts.
I like hearing all views. And Chaka is a very well-informed poster and I like his thoughts. We shouldn’t limit discussion to just those who drafted DJ.

I like hearing all views. And Chaka is a very well-informed poster and I like his thoughts. We shouldn’t limit discussion to just those who drafted DJ.
I"ve got zero problem with on-point discussion from anyone...but if you can explain how the below post is anything than meaningless clutter then god bless

Chaka said:
So glad I drew the #1 overall pick in my league and didn't have to even consider DJ. I'd hate to be in a position where I was questioning whether to bench my #1 pick in week 3.

I"ve got zero problem with on-point discussion from anyone...but if you can explain how the below post is anything than meaningless clutter then god bless
I'm sorry I offended you, sincerely I am.

But doesn't my meaningless post about me not valuing DJ at the #1 spot, which was a topic of discussion in this thread (someone posted a decently written article about that a couple pages back) have more value than telling me, twice now, how meaningless that single post, which certainly was not my only post, was? 

Now you alone have created a situation where people, including you, are making even more posts on the issue that I am sure you also find meaningless.

None of this bothers me but maybe next time just let it slide. Up to you.

I have no choice but to start him in my redraft with Mixon out my RB depth is precarious.

In the dynasty league where I have him I’m stubbornly keeping him at Flex with options like John Brown, Breida, Kittle, Marshall and Barber on my bench. I’m a heavy favorite and can afford another down game from DJ which makes it easier I guess.

SameSongNDance said:
I found something that might be deemed interesting.

So this "we need to simplify our playbook/concepts" thing isn't new at all. Last year McCoy was fired for this exact issue and it was specifically talked about leading up to DEN's week 11 game at home vs. CIN on November 19th. McCoy was fired on November 20th, following a loss to CIN at home, 20 to 17.

So I went back to my spreadsheet from last year to see if there were any obvious changes in the way players were utilized for that week 11 game and it turns out there were some deviations from the prior norms.

Charles was being utilized ~9 times a game up until that point but was taken out of the gameplan almost completely. Booker on the other hand was utilized 20 times after failing to be utilized more than 9 times in any game prior. And despite Charles being left out, DEN RBs (Booker and Anderson) were utilized more in that game than any game prior (weeks 1-10). And that is despite the fact that they lost (they were on a 6 game losing streak up until that point). DEN RBs also saw their second highest target share total of the season. All in all, for this game, a "simplified offense" meant that RBs would account for the largest percentage of the total offense up until that point, irregardless of gamescript (DEN trailed from the 2nd quarter onward vs. CIN).

My feeling on DJ this week is that you should probably continue to start him. Vegas opened at CHI -5 and despite the "sky is falling" narrative the line has either stayed put or actually moved in ARI's favor (CHI -4.5). The truth is, Trubisky sucks and I think this game will probably be as close as Vegas is projecting (I could see CHI winning 21-17 and yes I know 17 points is a tall order for ARI). I see DJ being utilized in the passing game and really just being utilized a lot in general. I could see him finishing with a line akin to 17/70/0 and 4/30/0 with him also being a decent bet to score a TD since he is going to be featured if/when they get into the RZ/GL.

But if ARI gets completely blown out again at home without Rosen sniffing the field then you can officially call it a wrap on DJ's fantasy season. You won't even get a 2016 Gurley, who actually finished as the RB15 despite people making it sound like he finished as the RB51. 
Dude! Seriously,why are you so awesome? That's amazing bit of info and digging. Thanks for sharing regardless of the outcome of DJ this week.

Ive been going back and forth on benching Johnson for Lamar Miller who has a decent matchup but I just can't bring myself to do it. Even though it's irrational because I see the current state of the Arizona offense I did draft this dude 4th for his talent and potential to catch the ball. Maybe these idiotic coaches will have same lightbulb go off. Watch miller will go off for 3 td's but one more week and this Johnson will be officially limp on the bench.

Ive been going back and forth on benching Johnson for Lamar Miller who has a decent matchup but I just can't bring myself to do it. Even though it's irrational because I see the current state of the Arizona offense I did draft this dude 4th for his talent and potential to catch the ball. Maybe these idiotic coaches will have same lightbulb go off. Watch miller will go off for 3 td's but one more week and this Johnson will be officially limp on the bench.
Don't worry, I'm starting Miller and sitting DJ, so it will be a zero for both.

Following Sigs advice, I’m starting him in my flex over Collins, Clement, Cooks. Gio and Conner as my two RBs I chose over DJ. 

Bears O isn’t dominating, I think this game could be closer than expected and I think Arizona will look to give DJ an enormous workload today. He’s so good that he can break a big play off for a TD out of nothing as well. 

I’m a sucker.  Going back for one more kick in the nuts.  Starting over Thompson 
Can't take the disappointment again though I do think it *may* change today, for no other reason than it surely has to at some point and I don't think the Bears are much better at sustaining drives than the Cards. If he blows up on my bench, hope for next week I guess. Starting Miller over him.

Can't take the disappointment again though I do think it *may* change today, for no other reason than it surely has to at some point and I don't think the Bears are much better at sustaining drives than the Cards. If he blows up on my bench, hope for next week I guess. Starting Miller over him.
I can afford to take the risk as I have Mahomes, Julio, juju and TY.  Have a feeling I’m going to regret it though...

I can afford to take the risk as I have Mahomes, Julio, juju and TY.  Have a feeling I’m going to regret it though...
Similar position in that I have Fitz, Conner, M.Thomas and Reek so plenty of point potential there. Come to think of it, Miller's upside is probably 70/1 and DJ's has to be that plus receiving potential. Argh, decisions.

Don't worry, I'm starting Miller and sitting DJ, so it will be a zero for both.
Who are your other options? For me It is Howard and Conner. Cant justify starting DJ or Miller over those two. but i really should not be this nervous starting my 4th pick overall at flex on week 3 but I sure am. Let's hope both DJ and miller both have huge days so neither one of us feels like a fool   :banned:

Who are your other options? For me It is Howard and Conner. Cant justify starting DJ or Miller over those two. but i really should not be this nervous starting my 4th pick overall at flex on week 3 but I sure am. Let's hope both DJ and miller both have huge days so neither one of us feels like a fool   :banned:
Going with Miller and Michel.

Johnson picks up a 1st down rushing and you are up 4. whats next? 3 drop back throws for crappy Sam Bradford, seems logical....Oh what do you know, another INT for him.

Users who are viewing this thread