What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: I'm SITTING David Johnson for ___________._ (1 Viewer)

Lol, Daboll offenses prior to Buffalo: 

Yds: 32, 29, 22, 24 (Currently 31)

Pts: 27, 23, 14, 32 (Currently 32)

Passing offense attempts: 30, 28, 28, 29 (Currently 21)

Top QB yardage under Daboll:

1339, 1576, 2497, 1796

Highest collective total passing yards: 3,425

Unacceptable for 2018. Tangent over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t see this posted, if it was I apologize:

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks promised Monday that David Johnson will run more routes in the slot going forward.

Johnson's Weeks 1-2 usage under first-year OC Mike McCoy has been one of the most disappointing developments of the 2018 fantasy season thus far. He has been used more as a ground-and-pound grinder than space back, running between the tackles and seeing diminished passing-game usage until pass-heavy comeback mode. Wilks promised Monday that will change, and gave McCoy a vote of confidence. "I have total confidence," said Wilks. (We don't.) Sep 17 - 4:08 

How often does a coach start out as horrid as Wilks and turn things around? Arizona might start looking for the next coach now... 

Cardinals coach Steve Wilks promised Monday that David Johnson will run more routes in the slot going forward.

Johnson's Weeks 1-2 usage under first-year OC Mike McCoy has been one of the most disappointing developments of the 2018 fantasy season thus far. He has been used more as a ground-and-pound grinder than space back, running between the tackles and seeing diminished passing-game usage until pass-heavy comeback mode. Wilks promised Monday that will change, and gave McCoy a vote of confidence. "I have total confidence," said Wilks. (We don't.) Sep 17 - 4:08 
This is nice and all but after watching the Bears defense I am not sure that Johnson doesn't drop to a RB3 this week.

I have no choice but to start him.  Thought I was sitting pretty with Bell, DJ, and DFreeman in dynasty .... not so much and can't really trade them with their value so low.  Thankfully Mahomes to the rescue.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more. This is my main concern, that as long as McCoy is there things won't get a whole lot better. 

I did a quick look and midseason OC firings happen a little more often than I had remembered (I have a crap memory though). I may have missed someone but in recent years I've got Cameron in 2012 (Ravens); Cignetti (Rams), Hamilton (Colts), and and Lazor (Dolphins) all in 2015; Roman (Bills) in 2016; and Zampese (Bengals) in 2017 (funny enough they hired Lazor as his replacement).

Then there's McCoy, who the Broncos fired in Nov. of 2017, citing a lack of offensive creativity and an unwieldy playbook.

According to this article a midseason OC change can help with a team's win percentage (this article doesn't mention anything about offensive production). Of course we don't know how/why/whether the Cardinals would make that kind of change with McCoy. But I think he needs to go or have things dictated to him.
Lombardi, Lions '15 I think it was. There was a one week downturn/blowout just after it happened in the London game against the Chiefs then things instantly started getting better

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Bradford looks like he's about to #### his pants any time there's even a hint of a pass rush. He's always wilted in the face of pressure but right not it's as bad as I've ever seen it. His YPA is 3.98 because he's so afraid to get hit. Rosen isn't afraid to get hit.
He looked even worse in his comeback last year with the Vikings before getting benched for Keenum.

That said... I'm starting Michel and L.Miller over DJ?  Maybe?

Well that would be a great start. One of the big rebuttals we heard to this Cards team sinking DJs season was that his garbage time receptions would save the day. In the first 2 games they got behind big and early and he basically never left the backfield. A few swing passes. 

He could turn it around but it is 100% dependent on them fixing his receiving role. The rushing isn’t gonna get better. 

Maybe this thread tire should be updated. Are people really gonna feel confident playing him against Chicago?

I wrote this in the Johnson thread: This situation has bust of the year written all over it and I hate myself for not only taking Johnson over Kamara but it's also I one keep legaue and I chose him long term over Kamara. Anyway, not that anyone cares. I'm benching him. This week for Cory Clement. Yes. Early rankings have DJ ranked SIXTH overall for RB/WR/TE. That's preposterous. Against the Bears? This has all the making of Gurley under Fisher two years ago. How manny weeks did you live with that before puli g the trigger and benching him? It ain't the p,Ayer, it's the situation.

Maybe this thread tire should be updated. Are people really gonna feel confident playing him against Chicago?

I wrote this in the Johnson thread: This situation has bust of the year written all over it and I hate myself for not only taking Johnson over Kamara but it's also I one keep legaue and I chose him long term over Kamara. Anyway, not that anyone cares. I'm benching him. This week for Cory Clement. Yes. Early rankings have DJ ranked SIXTH overall for RB/WR/TE. That's preposterous. Against the Bears? This has all the making of Gurley under Fisher two years ago. How manny weeks did you live with that before puli g the trigger and benching him? It ain't the p,Ayer, it's the situation.
On my bench for Conner and Miller/Hyde/AP until something changes. He doesn't even have the reception upside anymore. 9 targets in the Redskins game but at the Rams where his catching ability was supposed to come to the fore against their linebackers, he had 1 catch for 3 yards. Not good enough, don't care what his name is or where I drafted him.

The coaching staff came out after week 2 and stated they need to get him more involved and get him more targets. I’m starting him over Buck Allen and Aaron Jones (not like those are very appealing choices anyways). 

@Kwai Chang Caine

I had the exact situation in my league this year. I kept DJ over Kamara. Oh well. I still hold hope for DJ this year. 

Jalen Richard says hi.

In this particular instance DJ may not put up a great rushing yardage day, he easily could catch 7+ passes and is always a good bet for a goal line TD (or breaking a big one). 

It's week two, start the #4 overall pick.

I'm just here to eat my crow.
Yup. :goodposting:

Even I'm surprised they couldn't get him 5-7 receptions. Gotta own it.

I would say DJ is a good buy low candidate, and he is, but would you really want him? I mean of course you would but still this offense looks completely inept. Arizona looks like a must start for all defenses.

It was me.

Look at his route chart from week 1.

Now look at a route chart from 2016.

McCoy is truly incompetent. DJ is a converted WR and is generally the 2nd best WR on the team. Given their lack of talent, lining him out wide seems like the ultimate no-brainer. Even casual fans can see it. 
At the risk of being indelicate, can I give you money? 

You really go well above and beyond for a buncha dweebs on a magic football message board and I want to make sure you have incentive to never stop.

Like what are the kids using today to send cash, one of those application doodads?

Donkey Derp said:
Ooof.

I guess he's a buy low, but are redraft owners already to give up their top pick? Obviously they're not going to sell him in a package for Lindsay, but Drake? Mixon? Howard, Lynch, or Ajayi? All those rbs have outscored Dj in pprs so far. But can see you see Dj owners really downgrading to most of those options unless they're getting a stud at some other position as well? 

Ooof.

I guess he's a buy low, but are redraft owners already to give up their top pick? Obviously they're not going to sell him in a package for Lindsay, but Drake? Mixon? Howard, Lynch, or Ajayi? All those rbs have outscored Dj in pprs so far. But can see you see Dj owners really downgrading to most of those options unless they're getting a stud at some other position as well? 
I have been down on DJ all off-season with the coaching change and tons of turnover on the offensive line. What I do consider to be a positive is there is actually some talent on the o-line but they have a collective injury history as long as my arm plus half. However, IF they manage to stay healthy (a very big question and unlikely outcome) they should improve as the season progressed. So maybe, just maybe DJ can turn his season around and be a force in the second half.

Chaka said:
I have been down on DJ all off-season with the coaching change and tons of turnover on the offensive line. What I do consider to be a positive is there is actually some talent on the o-line but they have a collective injury history as long as my arm plus half. However, IF they manage to stay healthy (a very big question and unlikely outcome) they should improve as the season progressed. So maybe, just maybe DJ can turn his season around and be a force in the second half.
This is what Im holding onto. If DJ owners drafted well, then the best option may be to hold for now and wait for the Cards to try and sort their #### out. He could become a weapon down the stretch if they work things out. Whiffing on a first round pick shouldn't kill you unless you drafted badly overall or have got unlucky with injuries 

I posted this in the main DJ thread too:

Here’s another thing. If you watched week one, while it wasn’t great, they did throw him the ball at least twice if not three times on the same possession in the red zone and he uncharacteristically dropped two of them that look like they would’ve been touchdowns. Would we all be freaking out if he had caught one of those and walked it in for his second touchdown? Probably not. We’d probably be talking about how great the Rams defense is to be able to shut down David Johnson and the Cardinals this last week. I’m not happy but it’s too early to freak out and if it continues being this bad I’m sure management will do something. 

I believe DJ will improve as the year goes along but I'm sitting him this week for Gio
Me too. I also have Mixon ugh....but I may seriously play Bernard and Clement and keep DJ on the bench.

I'm looking forward to where Bloom ranks him because on his podcast and I quote: "I've seen enough."

Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is as so far the other have DJ ranked as a top play again and strikes me as lazy and preposterous given the last two games and the upcoming opponent.

Yeah, I hate to overreact on a talent like DJ but man the Cards look terrible and that Bears defense is ferocious.  I could see sitting him for some RB3 types but DJ still oozes talent and the Bears don't have an offense like the Rams so it may be a slightly more competitive game.

On my roster I would sit him for Marshawn, Drake and obviously Zeke but would start him over Alfred Morris and Chris Carson. Probably doesn't help anyone too much but...oh well.

Yeah, I hate to overreact on a talent like DJ but man the Cards look terrible and that Bears defense is ferocious.  I could see sitting him for some RB3 types but DJ still oozes talent and the Bears don't have an offense like the Rams so it may be a slightly more competitive game.

On my roster I would sit him for Marshawn, Drake and obviously Zeke but would start him over Alfred Morris and Chris Carson. Probably doesn't help anyone too much but...oh well.
These type of set up scenarios happen all the time and the NFL games being played rarely go according to script. I can easily see him going off for 100/2 catches just because the NFL is the hardest sport to predict. Only own him in one league but not sitting him.

FBG early rankings have him at #6.  Against the Bears D.  I think there is a better chance of the Cards getting shutout again than there is of DJ being the #6 back this week.

I posted this in the main DJ thread too:

Here’s another thing. If you watched week one, while it wasn’t great, they did throw him the ball at least twice if not three times on the same possession in the red zone and he uncharacteristically dropped two of them that look like they would’ve been touchdowns. Would we all be freaking out if he had caught one of those and walked it in for his second touchdown? Probably not. We’d probably be talking about how great the Rams defense is to be able to shut down David Johnson and the Cardinals this last week. I’m not happy but it’s too early to freak out and if it continues being this bad I’m sure management will do something. 
I’m pretty sure the drive he dropped those balls on was the same drive he ended up scoring anyway on. So he would not have had two TD’s.

Edit: I’m wrong as SCT pointes our below.

I’m pretty sure the drive he dropped those balls on was the same drive he ended up scoring anyway on. So he would not have had two TD’s.
No, it was the possession after the TD.  This one:

Arizona Cardinals at 04:30

1-10-WAS 26 (4:30) (Shotgun) 9-S.Bradford pass short middle to 31-D.Johnson to WAS 10 for 16 yards (56-Z.Vigil) [93-J.Allen].

1-10-WAS 10 (4:03) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 9-S.Bradford pass incomplete short right to 31-D.Johnson.

2-10-WAS 10 (4:00) (Shotgun) 9-S.Bradford pass short right to 31-D.Johnson to WAS 7 for 3 yards (56-Z.Vigil).

3-7-WAS 7 (3:29) (Shotgun) 9-S.Bradford pass incomplete short left to 31-D.Johnson.

4-7-WAS 7 (3:26) (Shotgun) 9-S.Bradford pass incomplete short right to 86-R.Seals-Jones.

I'm pondering sitting for Golladay in my flex... but I don't think I can do it.
I have both and for sure I'm starting Golladay in that spot. Nearly 20 points PPR both the first 2 weeks and a Sunday night game against NE?  I'm in!

My question is whether to sit him for Gio as my RB 2 (luckily I have Kamara as my RB1)?  

My reasoning is that Gio is a safe 15-point floor type guy this week, and I don't know WHAT to expect from AZ. I'm thinking I wait until they PROVE they have changed things up, and then I can go back to him with more confidence.

FBG early rankings have him at #6.  Against the Bears D.  I think there is a better chance of the Cards getting shutout again than there is of DJ being the #6 back this week.
I think they are on to something here. Fully expect Johnson to see 25+ touches, Bears don't have the offense like the Rams did to pull away, or control the clock, and like others have pointed out if Johnson comes up with one more ball in week 1, we are looking at a guy who got 20+ points in week 1. 

I'd be confidently starting Johnson this week, unless you ended up getting Conner or Coleman as bench guys. In leagues with a flex spot, its a no-brainer.

So glad I drew the #1 overall pick in my league and didn't have to even consider DJ. I'd hate to be in a position where I was questioning whether to bench my #1 pick in week 3.

I have both and for sure I'm starting Golladay in that spot. Nearly 20 points PPR both the first 2 weeks and a Sunday night game against NE?  I'm in!

My question is whether to sit him for Gio as my RB 2 (luckily I have Kamara as my RB1)?  

My reasoning is that Gio is a safe 15-point floor type guy this week, and I don't know WHAT to expect from AZ. I'm thinking I wait until they PROVE they have changed things up, and then I can go back to him with more confidence.
I am in the exact same boat starting Kamara and choosing between DJ and Gio.  I still haven't settled in my thinking and am leaning starting DJ...that said i am at risk of flip-flopping many times between now and Sunday morning.  :)

Maybe Jordan Howard...
Definitely Jordan Howard. Definitely, without question or hesitation in every single format. Even the format where Arizona Cardinal RBs are the only players allowed to score magic football points and any points scored by other RBs count towards Arizona's totals.

I found something that might be deemed interesting.

So this "we need to simplify our playbook/concepts" thing isn't new at all. Last year McCoy was fired for this exact issue and it was specifically talked about leading up to DEN's week 11 game at home vs. CIN on November 19th. McCoy was fired on November 20th, following a loss to CIN at home, 20 to 17.

So I went back to my spreadsheet from last year to see if there were any obvious changes in the way players were utilized for that week 11 game and it turns out there were some deviations from the prior norms.

Charles was being utilized ~9 times a game up until that point but was taken out of the gameplan almost completely. Booker on the other hand was utilized 20 times after failing to be utilized more than 9 times in any game prior. And despite Charles being left out, DEN RBs (Booker and Anderson) were utilized more in that game than any game prior (weeks 1-10). And that is despite the fact that they lost (they were on a 6 game losing streak up until that point). DEN RBs also saw their second highest target share total of the season. All in all, for this game, a "simplified offense" meant that RBs would account for the largest percentage of the total offense up until that point, irregardless of gamescript (DEN trailed from the 2nd quarter onward vs. CIN).

My feeling on DJ this week is that you should probably continue to start him. Vegas opened at CHI -5 and despite the "sky is falling" narrative the line has either stayed put or actually moved in ARI's favor (CHI -4.5). The truth is, Trubisky sucks and I think this game will probably be as close as Vegas is projecting (I could see CHI winning 21-17 and yes I know 17 points is a tall order for ARI). I see DJ being utilized in the passing game and really just being utilized a lot in general. I could see him finishing with a line akin to 17/70/0 and 4/30/0 with him also being a decent bet to score a TD since he is going to be featured if/when they get into the RZ/GL.

But if ARI gets completely blown out again at home without Rosen sniffing the field then you can officially call it a wrap on DJ's fantasy season. You won't even get a 2016 Gurley, who actually finished as the RB15 despite people making it sound like he finished as the RB51. 

The NFL is a league where each year we see games that completely defy what we expect.  Even the worst teams have a lot of talent and regression to the mean is a real thing.  I think the average points scored by even losing teams is around 18 points a game.  The Cardinals have only scored 6 in their first two games.  This just can't continue, despite how good the Bears look on defense.  I can't bring myself to pick up a waiver wire guy to put over him yet.

I agree, this feels like a good game for zona, how I don’t know, but sometimes these things happen, I’m predicting a bounce back week, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Bradford gets pulled early if he’s not performing. As the last guy stated even losing team average 18, I’m actually predicting 17, 2 tds going somewhere, I think Johnson gets 1 and solid yardage, maybe 50/50 rushing/receiving? That will work for me.

Lets remember, the Cardinals didn’t even cross mid field last week until there were seconds left in the game. This team is horrible. It’s not just a few bad games. This team is historically bad.

I agree if Rosen gets in, things could be a bit different. But if not, it’s going to be brutal.

Chaka said:
So glad I drew the #1 overall pick in my league and didn't have to even consider DJ. I'd hate to be in a position where I was questioning whether to bench my #1 pick in week 3.
If you didn't draft David Johnson then sitting him is not a decision for you...then maybe just don't clutter the thread with your meaningless posts.

We'll see.
Balls move no doubt and I get why people are frustrated enough to take big cuts when replacing DJ.  But I see a horribly negative game script for Kerryon and the Lions.  If Blount and Riddick were out (particularly Riddick) I could see the move a little better but with all three healthy and what appears to be a blow out looming I am buying on Detroit pass catchers and selling on Detroit everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread