What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 2: I'm SITTING David Johnson for ___________._ (3 Viewers)

inelastic is one thing; crazy is another.  The average league starts 2 RB's and a flex, so you'd be starting your RB4 over DJ.  Yes, the Cards looked like #### in week 1, but DJ was still able to put up 17.7 in PPR leagues.  Bench him at your own peril.
You don't really want to start RBs on teams that are huge road underdogs.  Do you think today's situation was the same as last week?

You don't really want to start RBs on teams that are huge road underdogs.  Do you think today's situation was the same as last week?
I still started him because I thought he would catch 9 balls in garbage time. With a score maybe.  But, this team is absolutely terrible.  

Wanted to go Thompson but didn’t pull the trigger. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I still started him because I thought he would catch 9 balls in garbage time. With a score maybe.  But, this team is absolutely terrible.  

Wanted to go Thompson but didn’t pull the trigger. 
Right, but if the "stud" was that studly then the line would reflect that.  

Washington closed as a six point favorite.  RB production correlates better with bigger home favorites.

Johnson is not startable until we see something.  Bench next week.  If Fitz is out it is even more dire.  

DJ keeper owned here. Not panicking yet. 

Steve Keim (GM) will not let this continue that much longer. Bradford looks abysmal. Playcalling is horrendous. 

Things will change sooner or later. Be patient. DJ is uber talented. 

Utterly bizarre. I have an RB corps of 

DJ

Conner

Collins 

Hyde 

Clement 

Burkhead 

and as things stand if Ajayi were to fall apart and leave the door open for Clement like today, I’d be putting DJ dead last with Burkhead. No one could score big fantasy points on the Cards team of the first two weeks. Changes needed for them. 

Phillip Lindsay.  :bag:

All the rankings I see show DJ as a top 10 pick for rbs.  So I must be nuts, but I just cannot think of last week's dismal offensive performance by Arizona without having a nightmare considering the possibilities considering what the Rams' D might do.
Well it was an extremely ballsy play but it worked out for you if you did it.  DJ is killing all of us.  Not his fault.  His offense may be worst I the nfl with buff.  I have never seen less imaginative playcallkng on offense than arozona.  It’s jeff fisher level bad.  If you have a strong option behind him it might not be that crazy to bench DJ until that offense shows something...anything. 

Haven’t been able to watch those games much, anybody see any reason Why they didn’t throw him the ball this weeks like they tried to last week?

rickyg said:
Well it was an extremely ballsy play but it worked out for you if you did it.  DJ is killing all of us.  Not his fault.  His offense may be worst I the nfl with buff.  I have never seen less imaginative playcallkng on offense than arozona.  It’s jeff fisher level bad.  If you have a strong option behind him it might not be that crazy to bench DJ until that offense shows something...anything. 
It's not his fault, but so many red flags this year vs 2016 

Tis unfortunate that no one could have foreseen such a game as being a reasonably realistic outcome.

SSND's information and another helpful comment mentioning the young Rams LBs swayed my choice.

But as mentioned, I am stubborn enough and capable enough of thinking for myself that all the vacuous posts simply mentioning something along the lines of "What an idiot this guy is"...I hope you were fortunate enough to play against the owner who started DJ...the best of both worlds for you all. ;)

Tis unfortunate that no one could have foreseen such a game as being a reasonably realistic outcome.

SSND's information and another helpful comment mentioning the young Rams LBs swayed my choice.

But as mentioned, I am stubborn enough and capable enough of thinking for myself that all the vacuous posts simply mentioning something along the lines of "What an idiot this guy is"...I hope you were fortunate enough to play against the owner who started DJ...the best of both worlds for you all. ;)
I underestimated just how bad ARI is, they could be historically bad on offense. A lot of the blame rests on McCoy and Bradford, hopefully one of those two are switched out as soon as next week. 

Donkey Derp said:
Wasn't expecting much on the ground, but (to quote a line from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), "how in pooperfect health" can DJ only get 1 catch for 3 yards?  As SSND says above, ARI is a complete dumpster fire right now.

That Zona offense is a joke...Bradford looks awful!  The playcalling is terrible. I don’t get what they’re doing, especially with only getting DJ 14 touches all game with only 1 catch on 2 targets!!

Time for Zona to do something...start Rosen, Fire the offensive coordinator.

FREE DJ!!

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I loved how Arians used to get creative with DJ and have him run  vertical routes up the seam. Used to work great in the red zone as well. I never saw yesterday, but when I saw week 1 the only targets I really saw were extremely obvious screens etc. The problem seems double pronged to me - less offensive talent on the field at QB/WR AND less offensive talent on the sideline calling the shots.

I know Bradford isn’t anything special, but this is as bad as I’ve seen him look. I’m high on Rosen so as a DJ owner, I really hope they give Rosen a chance next week if Bradford sucks again in the first half.

The play calling deserves plenty of blame too, how do you not run this offense through DJ and get creative with his skill set? 

I still believe DJ’s talent will overcome this ugly situation, but man it sucks knowing that his upside is limited due to the team’s issues.

You’re not a soothsayer if you didn’t trade him. Now you’re holding the bottom. Congrats.

I know Bradford isn’t anything special, but this is as bad as I’ve seen him look. I’m high on Rosen so as a DJ owner, I really hope they give Rosen a chance next week if Bradford sucks again in the first half.

The play calling deserves plenty of blame too, how do you not run this offense through DJ and get creative with his skill set? 

I still believe DJ’s talent will overcome this ugly situation, but man it sucks knowing that his upside is limited due to the team’s issues.
McCoy is completely clueless. It was night and day watching ARZ line up and run DJ straight into the line or barely off tackle (maybe 1 f'in screen setp up for him)...while McVay is so creative putting Gurley and Cooks in space to make plays. Not sure switching to Rosen will make a difference.

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I loved how Arians used to get creative with DJ and have him run vertical routes up the seam. Used to work great in the red zone as well. I never saw yesterday, but when I saw week 1 the only targets I really saw were extremely obvious screens etc. The problem seems double pronged to me - less offensive talent on the field at QB/WR AND less offensive talent on the sideline calling the shots.
It was me.

Look at his route chart from week 1.

Now look at a route chart from 2016.

McCoy is truly incompetent. DJ is a converted WR and is generally the 2nd best WR on the team. Given their lack of talent, lining him out wide seems like the ultimate no-brainer. Even casual fans can see it. 

It’s utter blasphemy to me that Wilks or McCoy or whoever is in charge of pulling Bradford have let him play two full games and have not either been told by upper mgmt to make the change or fired. 

:lmao:

Technically I'm right, they only ran 43 last week, so they saw a ~20% decrease. 

For real this #### doesn't really make any sense to me, it's like no one in ARI is even trying. 
Totally agree. This is really frustrating. They look so unmotivated and non-creative on both offense and defense. This is going to be a looooooong year.

I underestimated just how bad ARI is, they could be historically bad on offense. A lot of the blame rests on McCoy and Bradford, hopefully one of those two are switched out as soon as next week. 
McCoy is the problem IMO.   Bradford, when healthy can chuck the rock.  He is healthy.

It was to be fair, a reasonable assumption to make. However, it fails to take into account the fact that Bradford is an abomination of a QB and can't sustain a drive any longer than my 70 year old pops could.
They're on pace to average 20% fewer offensive snaps than any team since 2003 and that's just as far as I can go back. I'm at the point where I'm looking at "sabotage" as a plausible explanation.

McCoy is the problem IMO. Bradford, when healthy can chuck the rock. He is healthy.
Bradford looks like he's about to #### his pants any time there's even a hint of a pass rush. He's always wilted in the face of pressure but right not it's as bad as I've ever seen it. His YPA is 3.98 because he's so afraid to get hit. Rosen isn't afraid to get hit.

realistically ... does David Johnson go up up up from here with this ARI Offense ? Will he get 5-7 or more targets per game? Will the TD's come ?

or will he be a 12-20 range RB and holding all year won't matter ?

realistically ... does David Johnson go up up up from here with this ARI Offense ? Will he get 5-7 or more targets per game? Will the TD's come ?

My takeaways from watching both games..

The defense isn't nearly as bad as you would think. They're simply gassed by the 2nd quarter because Bradford couldn't sustain a drive if you put a gun to his head.

The OL isn't bad, they're mediocre.

Bradford needs to be benched soon. ARI has to decide whether or not they want Rosen's first start to be vs. CHI or vs. SEA. I think they give Bradford one more start even though it's a mistake to do so. Even Glennon would be an upgrade over Bradford. 

McCoy is to DJ what Fischer was to Gurley. There's no real way around this unless someone forces McCoy's hand or McCoy is fired. Wilks said they're going to line up DJ in the slot more and try to get him into space but I don't trust McCoy to figure this one out.

Until either Bradford is benched or McCoy is fired you need to treat DJ like a RB2. The good news is that the line for next week's game has opened at CHI -4 so maybe ARI won't get absolutely blown out for the 3rd game in a row. Because Edmonds saw a lot of the targets DJ would have gotten on the last series of last week's game. 

There is no place to go but up....I'd say at a minimum he gets 4-6 targets per game now, every game....  the offense cannot continue to be this bad.

Bojang0301 said:
You’re not a soothsayer if you didn’t trade him. Now you’re holding the bottom. Congrats.
Hehe, easy there Bojang. You assume things, perhaps, that you ought not to.  I get him in the 8th round every year.  Also, I never said that I would never start him, only that I was concerned by the abysmal state of the offense in week 1 and the I feared going against an even better defense in week 2, it could be a very bad result in week 2.  My comments were only for week 2.  Every week, I take the obligatory ASYS (or NSYS if you prefer) and then weigh it against what information I have and what logic tells me.  I never claimed to be a soothsayer...just looking at what seemed obvious to me even if it was not so obvious to you and making a call base upon that. Sometimes I am right, often not. I most certainly believe in the talent of DJ and no way I am trading him for any more than a very few elite players. I look forward to several happy years of being a DJ owner.

menobrown said:
I would consider DJ a top 3 RB play this week. He's a great match up in the passing game vs their LB's. Not sure what OP is thinking here.

menobrown said:
I'm just here to eat my crow.
Hey no need to enter crow - though kudos for taking the dart out of my chest and putting some salve on it. :) You offered rationale for your comment.  As with SSND's commentary, I personally found that helpful/useful information and I'm sure others did too.  

Hehe, easy there Bojang. You assume things, perhaps, that you ought not to.  I get him in the 8th round every year.  Also, I never said that I would never start him, only that I was concerned by the abysmal state of the offense in week 1 and the I feared going against an even better defense in week 2, it could be a very bad result in week 2.  My comments were only for week 2.  Every week, I take the obligatory ASYS (or NSYS if you prefer) and then weigh it against what information I have and what logic tells me.  I never claimed to be a soothsayer...just looking at what seemed obvious to me even if it was not so obvious to you and making a call base upon that. Sometimes I am right, often not. I most certainly believe in the talent of DJ and no way I am trading him for any more than a very few elite players. I look forward to several happy years of being a DJ owner.
I always assume redraft, non keeper during the season and dynasty in the offseason. This is fair. I also wouldn’t give him up in any dynasty or keeper league. Now, let’s hold hands and beg the football gods to get rid of McCoy.

McCoy is to DJ what Fischer was to Gurley. There's no real way around this unless someone forces McCoy's hand or McCoy is fired. Wilks said they're going to line up DJ in the slot more and try to get him into space but I don't trust McCoy to figure this one out.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more. This is my main concern, that as long as McCoy is there things won't get a whole lot better. 

I did a quick look and midseason OC firings happen a little more often than I had remembered (I have a crap memory though). I may have missed someone but in recent years I've got Cameron in 2012 (Ravens); Cignetti (Rams), Hamilton (Colts), and and Lazor (Dolphins) all in 2015; Roman (Bills) in 2016; and Zampese (Bengals) in 2017 (funny enough they hired Lazor as his replacement).

Then there's McCoy, who the Broncos fired in Nov. of 2017, citing a lack of offensive creativity and an unwieldy playbook.

According to this article a midseason OC change can help with a team's win percentage (this article doesn't mention anything about offensive production). Of course we don't know how/why/whether the Cardinals would make that kind of change with McCoy. But I think he needs to go or have things dictated to him.

Johnson should be matchup proof.  This coaching staff is crapping the bed on getting him the ball in the passing game. 

Brian Daboll is still worse than Mike McCoy. Trying to remember if he’s ever even had a QB break 3,000 yds. Maybe Hoyer thanks to Josh Gordon. If that’s wrong, I’ll fix it but going off the top of my head right now.

Users who are viewing this thread