What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Thread: Cappy is happy while the rest of us pray to the ping pong gods for Tuesday night (1 Viewer)

This has me shuked.  Backes has always been a physical player, and as a third liner now, knows his role is to help protect some of the younger, more skilled guys. 

Chara got challenged by Matt Martin in a game the Bruins were embarrassing the Islanders in with their skill and team play (not fists), as Martin tried to somehow spark his team, and Chara simply obliged him. Read Chara's comments about his respect for Martin after the game.

It's not like the Bruins are out gooning it up, but sure, they can be physical when they need to be.
Great post. Backes, with the Blues, caught my eyes as very physical. I have to admit to watching with half an eye. Backes is certainly older, and his usefulness as a non-healthy scratch is to do what he now says he'll do. 

I'm just noticing a trend as a casual fan. I've just noticed more Bruin fights lately and it's been in the press (which is simply a narrative).

also, pretty amazing that BC is on the verge of forcing their way into the tourney against a very beatable Northeastern after how disasterous their start, and really most of their season was.

also, pretty amazing that BC is on the verge of forcing their way into the tourney against a very beatable Northeastern after how disasterous their start, and really most of their season was.
What was going to be amazing is that there would have been a tournament with BU, BC, Gophers and Sioux - that would have been something I'd never imagine. But I think you might be right with BC taking out NU.

Should be a good battle for NCHC Championship tonight with St. Cloud and UMD going at it. Only thing is it doesn't mean much in the eyes of the NCAA tournament - both will be tough and it's going to be interesting to see where they will collide with UMASS-Amherst. They are only school that on paper could stop another all NCHC final in my eyes. I'm having a hard time being convinced the Purple Cows have it. Maybe it was all those years of them being doormat in old WCHA.

And 16 more wins after that or who gives a crap. 
I don't take anything away from the Bolts this season. They have been dominant wire-to-wire -- one of the more impressive seasons I can remember in a long while. They are clearly the team to beat and have looked mostly unbeatable this year. An overall win record should be deservedly celebrated and respected.

But there is definitely something to be said in terms of shoot-out era hockey to put it into perspective (just as you need to put dynasty teams' performance in perspective during the Original 6 era), and nothing matters except those 16 postseason wins and Lord Stanley's hardware.

Just ask the Caps. Only 4 President Trophy-winning teams over the last 20 years have gone on to win the cup. Just 8 overall cup-and-President winners since they started handing out the latter trophy in the 85/86 season.  

And 4 out of the last 5 President winning teams lost in the second round of the playoffs. 

Give me a hot goalie, sound defense, and players who have had post-season experience over the President's trophy going into the playoffs every time.

I don't take anything away from the Bolts this season. They have been dominant wire-to-wire -- one of the more impressive seasons I can remember in a long while. They are clearly the team to beat and have looked mostly unbeatable this year. An overall win record should be deservedly celebrated and respected.

But there is definitely something to be said in terms of shoot-out era hockey to put it into perspective (just as you need to put dynasty teams' performance in perspective during the Original 6 era), and nothing matters except those 16 postseason wins and Lord Stanley's hardware.

Just ask the Caps. Only 4 President Trophy-winning teams over the last 20 years have gone on to win the cup. Just 8 overall cup-and-President winners since they started handing out the latter trophy in the 85/86 season.  

And 4 out of the last 5 President winning teams lost in the second round of the playoffs. 

Give me a hot goalie, sound defense, and players who have had post-season experience over the President's trophy going into the playoffs every time.
Read something the other day that since it was debuted more presidents trophy winning teams have won the cup than any other seed. 8/33 ain’t bad. That’s almost 25%. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Read something the other day that since it was debuted more presidents trophy winning teams have won the cup than any other seed. 8/33 ain’t bad. That’s almost 25%. 
Is it?

#1 seeds win it all in NCAA 79.8% of the time (though there are four of them); #1 seeds win 72% of the time in the NBA. When accounting for both top seeds out AFC/NFC, it's around 55% -- much lower if you are looking at, say, the #1 AFC team winning it all (which is around 21%, and comparable for NFC %). Baseball might be the lowest, but it also has the lowest sample size as it only went to divisional playoffs in 1995.

Either way, I think it's fairly true to say that NHL regular season success does not translate into clear success in the postseason.

TB has all those things right now.    Talent and depth should get through to the ECF finals again. But They have history of not being able to score when things really tighten up. 

TB has all those things right now.    Talent and depth should get through to the ECF finals again. But They have history of not being able to score when things really tighten up. 
Fair - you are certainly not wrong.

The way to beat Tampa isn't to attack an inherent weakness they have -- I am not sure I see any.

You can only try to slow down their pace, play clean hockey to avoid putting them on the PP, and exactly to your point, hope scoring dries up as it has in some games/short stretches this year.

Fair - you are certainly not wrong.

The way to beat Tampa isn't to attack an inherent weakness they have -- I am not sure I see any.

You can only try to slow down their pace, play clean hockey to avoid putting them on the PP, and exactly to your point, hope scoring dries up as it has in some games/short stretches this year.
Canes board see to think they were a bunch of divers and whiners.  Not good for playoffs.

Is it?

#1 seeds win it all in NCAA 79.8% of the time (though there are four of them); #1 seeds win 72% of the time in the NBA. When accounting for both top seeds out AFC/NFC, it's around 55% -- much lower if you are looking at, say, the #1 AFC team winning it all (which is around 21%, and comparable for NFC %). Baseball might be the lowest, but it also has the lowest sample size as it only went to divisional playoffs in 1995.

Either way, I think it's fairly true to say that NHL regular season success does not translate into clear success in the postseason.
They aren’t playing football or basketball though. It terms of hockey it’s better than any other seed.

What is the alternative argument to this point? Be a 5 seed? Be mediocre? I don’t get your point. 

They aren’t playing football or basketball though. It terms of hockey it’s better than any other seed.

What is the alternative argument to this point? Be a 5 seed? Be mediocre? I don’t get your point. 
Pretty straight forward points:

1) You are wrong assuming that a 24% success rate of the #1 teams winning the cup is good. Either in hockey, or altogether when compared to other sports.

2) And the original point still stands - winning the President's Trophy means nothing in terms of how a team will in the playoffs. 

Pretty straight forward points:

1) You are wrong assuming that a 24% success rate of the #1 teams winning the cup is good. Either in hockey, or altogether when compared to other sports.

2) And the original point still stands - winning the President's Trophy means nothing in terms of how a team will in the playoffs. 
1) no I’m not. 

2) never once did I or as far as I know, anybody, say that it did. 

What was going to be amazing is that there would have been a tournament with BU, BC, Gophers and Sioux - that would have been something I'd never imagine. But I think you might be right with BC taking out NU.

Should be a good battle for NCHC Championship tonight with St. Cloud and UMD going at it. Only thing is it doesn't mean much in the eyes of the NCAA tournament - both will be tough and it's going to be interesting to see where they will collide with UMASS-Amherst. They are only school that on paper could stop another all NCHC final in my eyes. I'm having a hard time being convinced the Purple Cows have it. Maybe it was all those years of them being doormat in old WCHA.
blue bloods dead, huh.  bad year for the Bostons and the Gophers weren’t great but were still as good as anyone in that conference.  but NoDak deserved better.  quality team that just couldn’t finish all year.  Just look at their season ending series against DU, sums it up.

crazy finish in Mankato tonight.  Bowling Green up 2-0 with less than 2 min left and Mankato gets two 6v5 goals in the last 1:44 and then wins it in OT.  I haven’t looked at the pairwise matrix but I’m pretty sure the Falcons are still getting in since BC lost.  

bummer for BC after making that run and it looks like they dominated possession tonight though that can happen when you are down 3-0 early.  beat the class of the conference and really the country imo, 3-1 against providence and Umass is impressive.  especially the shutout they pitched on Umass.

watched a good chunk of UMD/SCSU, hell of a battle for a game that meant nothing. best two teams in the country imo.

I think the wrong team got in with Notre Dame.  Penn State the more dangerous team.  

looks like DU took care of business and got some revenge today for that sweep a couple weekends ago.

four ECAC teams in.  gross.  ASU in.  more gross.

cant wait for next weekend!

I should say too, I think Mankato is capable of winning the whole thing.  I think both they and Bowling Green are decent teams that could do some damage.  Mankato did well in non conference and if they get a good draw I can see them in Buffalo. not a really strong field this year.

1) no I’m not. 

2) never once did I or as far as I know, anybody, say that it did. 
1) Yes you still are  :P

2) No one said you claimed anything. You asked me my point, I explained. Now if you're looking for a tilly, drop or go suck it, ya milk drinker.  :P

3) Potvin sucks

4) Georgiev decidedly does not suck

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
1) Yes you still are  :P

2) No one said you claimed anything. You asked me my point, I explained. Now if you're looking for a tilly, drop or go suck it, ya milk drinker.  :P

3) Potvin sucks

4) Georgiev decidedly does not suck
It will be very interesting to see what the Rangers do with their goalie situation. Georgie looks like a low end starter option. But the messiah is said to be coming over this summer from Russia. And the King is still around. Wonder how it shakes out

Bill Brasky said:
looks like DU took care of business and got some revenge today for that sweep a couple weekends ago.
A goal explosion for the Pioneers. Not sure how to react. 

As for the tourney we have very good defense and great goaltending - Zero offense after losing everyone big from a year ago. Young guys are competing but not finishing. A fantastic job by David Carle as the youngest head coach in NCAA.  Looks like we will be in Fargo with St. Cloud and perhaps a first round matchup with Ohio State who is well rested. Maybe they move Ohio State to Allentown to differ with the predictions. It is a drag that the 3rd best team from the best conference gets rated so low in Pairwise - I'm not a fan of it. ASU getting in with such a high rating is a testament to its flaws. It's a war in NCHC of good teams - last nights championship being case #1. DU-UMD was tight Friday night - Hunter Shepard being a wall was difference. And not sure if I remember a year of great great goaltending in a league like this year.

ECAC has no business getting 4 in - No Dakota, Western Michigan and CC would smoke most of those teams at this stage of the season.  Purple Cows get screwed having a first round matchup against Providence at the Donut shop in Providence. At least it beats the old days of having to play Michigan in Ann Arbor every year.

Would it be rotten of me to hope for a UMass upset in the first round so Makar can help the Avs down the stretch?

Happy “selection” day ... since everyone knows who’s in. Just a matter of who goes where. Most of the sites think the NCAA could go straight bracket and not change anything. Which would leave PC in Providence again, but history has shown (2015) they don’t seem to care about protecting the No. 1 seed in that case.

UMD win last night was significant. Flipped the Bulldogs up to No. 2 in PWR and assured they can’t meet SC again until the final.

As for UMass ... picked a bad night for their worst game of the season. They just didn’t handle the desperation that BC brought. I think we also sometimes forget how young they are ... mostly freshmen and sophomores with only three seniors (and one is a grad transfer). Then again, they also did get robbed by a quick whistle (yep, Jamie Koharski is just as bad as his dad) of what would have been an obvious tying goal with about 12 minutes left. I’ve watched more than enough of them this year to know that often one goal is all it takes and they really flip the switch. Who knows.

Looks like a matchup next weekend with Harvard is all but certain. Amazingly the teams have very little history in hockey despite being less than two hours apart.

BC had a great run. Scary scene last night when Logan Hutsko (Panthers pick) got tangled up and hit his head on the ice  He’s had serious neck and head injuries in the past.

AIC is going to get smoked by SCSU, but what a great story if you know anything about the school. Only went D1 in 1998 ... and until two years ago played home games in a HS rink.

It will be very interesting to see what the Rangers do with their goalie situation. Georgie looks like a low end starter option. But the messiah is said to be coming over this summer from Russia. And the King is still around. Wonder how it shakes out
Georgiev played really well in Liiga with TPS, and has at times looked stellar this year. But he needs to end games in regulation to really be a consistent option (that and keep his stick in his hand). The team in front of him owe him a little more help in that regard, but it will be interesting to see what happens next year. 

I can believe that Providence, who in my opinion is a top 7 team in the country, gets by far the weakest bracket and is basically playing at home.  Mankato is no slouch but that is for sure the #1 seed you want to draw and then in the other game you have a young and pretty mediocre Northeastern team and a not very good to begin with Cornell who lost a decent forward and their starting goalie last night.

looks like another #4 run to the frozen four could be in the cards for them like when they won their ship.

Happy “selection” day ... since everyone knows who’s in. Just a matter of who goes where. Most of the sites think the NCAA could go straight bracket and not change anything. Which would leave PC in Providence again, but history has shown (2015) they don’t seem to care about protecting the No. 1 seed in that case.

UMD win last night was significant. Flipped the Bulldogs up to No. 2 in PWR and assured they can’t meet SC again until the final.

As for UMass ... picked a bad night for their worst game of the season. They just didn’t handle the desperation that BC brought. I think we also sometimes forget how young they are ... mostly freshmen and sophomores with only three seniors (and one is a grad transfer). Then again, they also did get robbed by a quick whistle (yep, Jamie Koharski is just as bad as his dad) of what would have been an obvious tying goal with about 12 minutes left. I’ve watched more than enough of them this year to know that often one goal is all it takes and they really flip the switch. Who knows.

Looks like a matchup next weekend with Harvard is all but certain. Amazingly the teams have very little history in hockey despite being less than two hours apart.

BC had a great run. Scary scene last night when Logan Hutsko (Panthers pick) got tangled up and hit his head on the ice  He’s had serious neck and head injuries in the past.

AIC is going to get smoked by SCSU, but what a great story if you know anything about the school. Only went D1 in 1998 ... and until two years ago played home games in a HS rink.
AIC never has even had a winning record in D1 before.  he’ll of a run, good for them. 

and good for St Cloud that they might not choke away a great chance at a frozen four again (Ferris St, Air Force) because there’s no way they blow this one.

A goal explosion for the Pioneers. Not sure how to react. 

As for the tourney we have very good defense and great goaltending - Zero offense after losing everyone big from a year ago. Young guys are competing but not finishing. A fantastic job by David Carle as the youngest head coach in NCAA.  Looks like we will be in Fargo with St. Cloud and perhaps a first round matchup with Ohio State who is well rested. Maybe they move Ohio State to Allentown to differ with the predictions. It is a drag that the 3rd best team from the best conference gets rated so low in Pairwise - I'm not a fan of it. ASU getting in with such a high rating is a testament to its flaws. It's a war in NCHC of good teams - last nights championship being case #1. DU-UMD was tight Friday night - Hunter Shepard being a wall was difference. And not sure if I remember a year of great great goaltending in a league like this year.

ECAC has no business getting 4 in - No Dakota, Western Michigan and CC would smoke most of those teams at this stage of the season.  Purple Cows get screwed having a first round matchup against Providence at the Donut shop in Providence. At least it beats the old days of having to play Michigan in Ann Arbor every year.

Would it be rotten of me to hope for a UMass upset in the first round so Makar can help the Avs down the stretch?
tough draw for DU.  well for both of them really.  all those not great teams chewing up 2 and 3 seeds and two of the better teams get each other and then congrats you get St Cloud if you win.  tough road

AIC never has even had a winning record in D1 before.  he’ll of a run, good for them. 

and good for St Cloud that they might not choke away a great chance at a frozen four again (Ferris St, Air Force) because there’s no way they blow this one.
Ironically, by drawing AIC, St. Cloud also got shafted by playing the late game in Fargo as the No. 1 seed (all the other 1s got the early games in their regions ... common sense and typical). Because ESPN has only one TV slot there Friday and wanted the better game in OSU-DU for ESPNU. St. Cloud and AIC get stuck on ESPN+.

@frank_seravalli: Hearing #Flyers first-round pick Joel Farabee has informed Boston Univ. he is turning pro. Expected to sign today after fantastic freshman season, Hockey East rookie of the year.

Bill Brasky said:
blue bloods dead, huh.  bad year for the Bostons and the Gophers weren’t great but were still as good as anyone in that conference.  but NoDak deserved better.  quality team that just couldn’t finish all year.
Not sure if it's completely accurate but reading this over on uscho - last time NCAA tourney without one of WI/MI/BC/BU/Gophers/Sioux - was 1969.  In that year the Keith Magnuson led  DU Pioneers defeated the Ken Dryden led Cornell Big Red to the Championship. 2 Years later they met in the Stanley Cup Finals where Dryden came out on top.

Not sure if it's completely accurate but reading this over on uscho - last time NCAA tourney without one of WI/MI/BC/BU/Gophers/Sioux - was 1969.  In that year the Keith Magnuson led  DU Pioneers defeated the Ken Dryden led Cornell Big Red to the Championship. 2 Years later they met in the Stanley Cup Finals where Dryden came out on top.
Others are saying if you add in Michigan Tech (not exactly a blue blood by today's standards, but ...) it never has happened.

Heck of a game. Lightning are a machine, but hopefully it can be a little bit different when the B's get some of their injured defense (Miller, Grzelcyk, even Krug) back in the fold.

Losing Moore last in the first, they clearly were gassed on the blue line late. McAvoy in particular was bad in the third.

Users who are viewing this thread